What's new

ASEAN Affairs Forum

Asean Community looks to 2015 and beyond

With many Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) citizens celebrating the Lunar New Year last weekend, I would like to take this opportunity to express my wishes to all. I would also like to reflect on new beginnings and look toward the future.

As I am into my first month, many are asking me: How do I see myself in the role of Asean secretary-general, and what do I see for Asean on the five-year horizon.

To the first question of how I see my role as secretary-general, I am guided by the mandate of the Asean Charter and the Asean leaders. As one entrusted by the Charter with the demanding task of seeing through the implementation of Asean agreements and decisions, as well as reporting on Asean's work over the next five years, I should be able to provide a frank and learned analysis to our Asean leaders to assist them in sustaining their vision and aspirations for Asean.

I should also be able to promote Asean and convey its common positions to our dialogue partners and other external parties.

I believe that a large part of my role is to lead and guide the dedicated staff of the Asean Secretariat. As front-liners and the backbone of Asean's operations, we serve the Asean member states and the various Asean organs and ministerial-sectoral bodies in the building of the Asean Community.

The strengthening of the Asean Secretariat has already received the imprimatur of our leaders, and it will be upon us to carry on the measures to make the Secretariat more efficient and effective in the delivery of its services.

To the latter question, for the next five years I believe that Asean will continue to build on the gains of the last 45 years in the three community pillars.

In the area of peace and security, Asean will continue to provide a platform for peaceful dialogue and cooperation among member states and with the rest of the international community. In doing so, I believe Asean has acquired the necessary experience and confidence to consistently overcome any challenge to the grouping's centrality and our regional stability.

Asean will also continue to deliver on the wide-ranging measures needed to transform the group into a strong economic bloc and integrate it into the global economy.

Likewise, Asean will continue to invest in our people and in various areas such as culture, education, health, the environment and food security, among others, to ensure the Asean Community's wellbeing and resilience.

But more than building on our achievements, I also see the next five years as a time of reckoning for us - a time for reflection and greater action.

Asean will reach two critical milestones. By the end of 2015, we should already have achieved our target of creating the Asean Community. In 2017, we will also be celebrating 50 years of Asean's founding.

To build the Asean Community, we need to implement various Asean agreements and decisions by translating regional commitments into national actions. We must strengthen Asean mechanisms and processes, and coordinate various plans and actions - especially in issues that cut across the three pillars. Greater support from the general public, civil society and business groups will be indispensable, thus we need to redouble our efforts in communicating and fostering a greater understanding of Asean.

Increasingly, the world is watching Asean, and consequently the world needs to learn more about our vision and commitments within and outside the region.

Since my first day on the job, I have given my full support to efforts to conduct more rigorous public outreach, and have welcomed the media through the gates of the Secretariat.

We are reviewing our roadmap to the Asean Community 2009-2015 with its three community blueprints. There is also the possibility of the Asean Summit deciding to review the Asean Charter. This review process would enable us to take stock of our progress as a Community. More importantly, this period in Asean's history should not only encourage us to do more soul-searching on the direction and future of our organisation, but also present an opportunity for us to affirm our commitment to Asean's future.

With all this in store for the next five years, I, together with the Asean Secretariat, have pledged to work closely with the Asean member states, as we move towards 2015 and beyond.

Le Luong Minh will serve as secretary-general of Asean until 2017

Asean Community looks to 2015 and beyond - The Nation

We need to make NATO and EU type organization

Have you read the news I quoted for you? The news says 900 km to strengthen our artillery, means that 900 km rocket will be turned up into missile.

Do you know the term of "ballistic warhead"? it's warhead that brought by a ballistic missile.
Warhead can be made quickly, it simply contains of numerous number of explosives. We already make bombs for our aircraft, why do you bother to ask us if we have been making warhead or not? We have made several number of warheads for smaller rocket like R-Han 122 missiles, there will be no problem making warheads for RX 550 or RX 720. The first thing that should be completed is the platform itself, we have to test that RX 750 first, after it succeed, we may posses the warhead for it.

You think that S.K technology is worse than you, it can not make its own warhead, so it has to ask for US's permission to increase its missile range ??

Bro, pls wake up, action speak louder than words, don't just blah blah blah. Make some warhead for ballistic missile now if you dare to disobey US's rule. Do you have any plan for it yet ? Or you're too scared of US's threat, so you don't have any plan until now ??

If u're too scared of US, then we know why you don't wanna join with us to counter US-China :rolleyes:
Anyway, shaddock is a 1959 missile right? even the Russian have changed it with newer rocket, are those missiles still active? You seem so sure with your old arsenal, why don't you posses another new ballistic missile? then you may threat the neighbors or even China
This one is the upgrade one, the old one only have speed of 0,9 mach. Upgrade one with speed of 2,5 is good enough to threat our neighbours bcz this ballistic missile has a real serious warhead.
The Old one
Untitled-.jpg

And the new
ten-lua-shaddock2.jpg

Right now, a strong leader is required to lead a divided ASEAN and there must be a strong economy to back it up, it is the same with EU where few members are key to their unity and the others are just burden.

Right now, a strong leader is required to lead a divided ASEAN and there must be a strong economy to back it up, it is the same with EU where few members are key to their unity and the others are just burden.

totally agree

You think that S.K technology is worse than you, it can not make its own warhead, so it has to ask for US's permission to increase its missile range ??

Are you a retard? Nobody says our technology is better than SK or the other ways around, in fact, nobody was comparing both countries technology. The reasons why SK needs to seek U.S permission is merely a political not a technological reason. SK is a close ally to the U.S, everything that SK make will also be U.S problem, so it's not about whether SK able to build warhead or not, it is about what impact for the U.S if she let SK making ballistic missile with range over 800 km.

Bro, pls wake up, action speak louder than words, don't just blah blah blah. Make some warhead for ballistic missile now if you dare to disobey US's rule. Do you have any plan for it yet ? Or you're too scared of US's threat, so you don't have any plan until now ??

If u're too scared of US, then we know why you don't wanna join with us to counter US-China :rolleyes:

How many times should I tell you that WE HAVE BEEN MAKING WARHEADS, I have even shown you the picture of one of our warhead for the earlier version of our missiles, I have shown you our bombs, aircraft bombs also use warhead. Even I have shown you our Nitrate factory which is the biggest explosives materials factory in S.E.A.

And we have no problem with the U.S because we are not U.S ally, everything we do is our own responsibility to take. And how many time should I explain you that those 900 km is for our artillery system, don't you think we are stupid to not to plan to make another warheads for it??

You mean paying your war against them? Nah, we got 200+ million people to take care of.

don't just blah blah blah, understand what people are saying before you derail the topic again and again.

This one is the upgrade one, the old one only have speed of 0,9 mach. Upgrade one with speed of 2,5 is good enough to threat our neighbours bcz this ballistic missile has a real serious warhead.
The Old one
Untitled-.jpg

And the new
ten-lua-shaddock2.jpg

Wait, ain't no way that fat missiles have speed 2.5 mach, every source I found says 0.9 mach, 1.4 mach at top. The Shaddock which has speed over it is the anti ship versions. Or does vietnam able to modify such missile?

SS-N-3 / SSC-1a Shaddock - Russian / Soviet Nuclear Forces
SS-N-3 / SSC-1a Shaddock
Soviet Surface-to-Surface (Naval) Missiles
http://militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-391.html
http://www.harpoondatabases.com/encyclopedia/Entry927.aspx

Even the Russian is no longer using them, so again, action speaks louder than words, stop blah blah blah about CBU this Shaddock that, just admit that you still don't have any new ballistic missile or having plan to do it.

And I would like to stop it here, believe what you want to believe. But note one thing for the topic, we will never ever be stupid enough to join this alliance which will makes us pay money for your personal war against China.

Are you a retard? Nobody says our technology is better than SK or the other ways around, in fact, nobody was comparing both countries technology. The reasons why SK needs to seek U.S permission is merely a political not a technological reason. SK is a close ally to the U.S, everything that SK make will also be U.S problem, so it's not about whether SK able to build warhead or not, it is about what impact for the U.S if she let SK making ballistic missile with range over 800 km.

How many times should I tell you that WE HAVE BEEN MAKING WARHEADS, I have even shown you the picture of one of our warhead for the earlier version of our missiles, I have shown you our bombs, aircraft bombs also use warhead. Even I have shown you our Nitrate factory which is the biggest explosives materials factory in S.E.A.
And it is NOT ballistic missile WARHEADS. DO u have any ballistic missile WARHEADS now or at least a clear plan to make warhead for ballistic missile ?? Or US don't allow u to do that ??

nufix said:
Wait, ain't no way that fat missiles have speed 2.5 mach, every source I found says 0.9 mach, 1.4 mach at top. The Shaddock which has speed over it is the anti ship versions. Or does vietnam able to modify such missile?
Yeah, we modified it ourselves (maybe with Russian help, too), China also confirm its speed.
images566820_4.jpg

Tờ Tiexue cho biết : Hiện nay Việt Nam đã tự mình sản xuất được loại tên lửa này chiều dài tên lửa 11,7 m; nặng 4,8 tấn; đường kính 880 mm; sải cánh dài 2,6 m; tốc độ gấp 2,5 tốc độ âm thanh; tầm bắn xa nhất là 550 km
Báo Trung Qu?c ?ánh giá cao tên l?a Shaddock c?a Vi?t nam - Ph? n? Today

Translate to English

The Tiexue said: Vietnam now has his own production of this missile missile length 11.7 m; weighs 4.8 tons; diameter of 880 mm; wingspan of 2.6 m; peed of 2.5 mach; longest range of 550 km
nufix said:
And I would like to stop it here, believe what you want to believe. But note one thing for the topic, we will never ever be stupid enough to join this alliance which will makes us pay money for your personal war against China.
I said: it okay if you don't wanna join, but when US-Aussie slap sanction on you, then don't call us for help, China won't help u too , You Are totally alone against US.

And with No ballistic missile with Real war head, you can't stand US-Aussie's attack for a week.:rolleyes:

& look what happen to those organization.

NATO is having an identity crisis. The EU suffering from an economic crisis & each member states are having doubt about the union in the first place.

If you want to destroy ASEAN this is the way to do it.

And it is NOT ballistic missile WARHEADS. DO u have any ballistic missile WARHEADS now or at least a clear plan to make warhead for ballistic missile ?? Or US don't allow u to do that ??

Yeah, we modified it ourselves (maybe with Russian help, too), China also confirm its speed.

Translate to English

The Tiexue said: Vietnam now has his own production of this missile missile length 11.7 m; weighs 4.8 tons; diameter of 880 mm; wingspan of 2.6 m; peed of 2.5 mach; longest range of 550 km

I said: it okay if you don't wanna join, but when US-Aussie slap sanction on you, then don't call us for help, China won't help u too , You Are totally alone against US.

And with No ballistic missile with Real war head, you can't stand US-Aussie's attack for a week.:rolleyes:

Oh god, now I know why most people make you in their ignore list, you are to chauvinist to be made understand about anything.
Note this, we will never be falling against any sanction, we have been living under sanction from U.S or Soviet, now you can see which country has the most powerful economy in the region compared to those who haven't been under any sanction.

Sure, and after you found that alliance, don't beg our money when your economy is not enough to fund your war which makes you once again under the same condition with vietnam war.

& look what happen to those organization.

NATO is having an identity crisis. The EU suffering from an economic crisis & each member states are having doubt about the union in the first place.

If you want to destroy ASEAN this is the way to do it.
then what is your suggestion ?

Oh god, now I know why most people make you in their ignore list, you are to chauvinist to be made understand about anything.
Bcz most of them are LIARS or DAY DREAMERS just like captain America Jhungary, lie abt the oil import of Guam or Chinese delude themselves abt their 'ASEAN best friend -Cambodia'.
Note this, we will never be falling against any sanction, we have been living under sanction from U.S or Soviet, now you can see which country has the most powerful economy in the region compared to those who haven't been under any sanction.

Sure, and after you found that alliance, don't beg our money when your economy is not enough to fund your war which makes you once again under the same condition with vietnam war.
U've never fallen coz you've never Dare to defy US by making ballistic missile warhead, so US show its mercy by avoiding a Real sanction you .

When you dare to make ballistic missile warhead to protect urselves, then you will see how hard a Real US's sanction is

Truth is hurt, is it hard for you to face with the Truth ?? :coffee:

wtf, what happen to this thread? :what:

c'mon, back to economic thingy guys :rolleyes:

China sees new energy in its ties with RI

Veeramalla Anjaiah, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | World | Thu, February 07 2013, 12:15 PM

china-energy.jpg

All together now: Chinese Ambassador to Indonesia Liu Jianchao (fourth left), along with his embassy staff, sings Indonesia’s famous “Bengawan Solo” song during a reception to celebrate the Spring Festival at his residence in Jakarta on Tuesday night. JP/Veeramalla Anjaiah

Indonesia’s total trade might have slowed due to the global financial crisis in 2012, but bilateral trade between China and Indonesia, based on Chinese statistics, never stopped growing. China’s overall strategic ties are also growing strongly and may take a new turn this year, a Chinese envoy says.

Last year, according to Chinese Ambassador to Indonesia Liu Jianchao, bilateral trade between the two Asian giants surged to a record US$66.21 billion, an impressive growth of 9.4 percent from $60 billion in 2011.

“Our trade has been growing for the last several years. According to our statistics, the trade was almost balanced. Now we are focusing on achieving our trade target of $80 billion by 2015,” Liu told The Jakarta Post during the Spring Festival reception at his residence in Jakarta on Tuesday night.

Recently, there was a change in Chinese leadership and new leader Xi Jinping will assume his post soon.

“We have new leadership in China and we will have new energy in our bilateral relations. We will have a high-level visit to Indonesia to strengthen our relations further this year,” Liu said.

Likewise, Liu said, China’s investments were also growing at a rapid pace.

“Our investments, excluding those in the non-oil sector, in Indonesia last year reached $600 million, a 90 percent increase from 2011. But sometimes, these investment figures can be misleading as the real figures do not reflect the official data,” Liu said.

Some Chinese investments, Liu continued, came through third countries such as Singapore. Though around 1,000 Chinese companies are currently operating in Indonesia, China is a relative newcomer in Indonesia.

“Unlike other investors like Japan, Singapore and other countries, we are relatively new to Indonesia. It will take some time to materialize our investment plans. We are committed to invest heavily in Indonesia,” Liu said.

Echoing a similar view, Indonesian Ambassador to China Imron Cotan said that Beijing was very serious about investing in Indonesia.

“We took Chinese investors to Indonesia on a road show recently. The results were very impressive. During the visit of President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to China last year, Chinese investors pledged to invest $17 billion in projects related to infrastructure with the intention of supporting Indonesia’s Master Plan for the Acceleration and Expansion of Indonesia’s Economic Development [MP3EI],” Imron said recently.

Last year, China invested $77.22 billion in more than 140 countries, including Indonesia, and received foreign direct investment of $111.71 billion, mainly from Asian countries. The world’s most populous nation is currently sitting on a massive $3.24 trillion of foreign exchange reserves.

Last week, the Indonesian Chambers of Commerce and Industry announced that Indonesia would purchase 2,500 ships worth $5 billion from China to improve logistics and the distribution of goods across the archipelago. China will deliver the ships over five years starting from 2013.

In the defense sector relations have also been growing. Just last month, Deputy Defense Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin visited China to take part in bilateral defense consultations and to boost cooperation between the two countries.

According to Liu, China has been working to increase its people-to-people contacts with Indonesia.

“Last year, around 600,000 Chinese tourists visited Indonesia. Half of them visited Bali. This trend will continue in coming years,” Liu said.

Indonesia and China follow different methods of calculating exports and imports, making trade figures a sensitive issue in Indonesia.

According to Chinese sources, China’s exports to Indonesia in 2012 reached $34 billion, making Southeast Asia’s largest economy China’s 14th-largest export destination comprising 1.7 percent of China’s total exports that reached $2.04 trillion. Meanwhile, Indonesia’s exports to the world’s second-biggest economy might reached around $32 billion, a tiny portion of China’s record $1.81 trillion in imports.

Based on the latest data from the Central Statistics Agency, Indonesia’s trade with China surged to $46.43 billion — comprising $19.59 billion in exports and $26.84 billion in imports — during the first 10 months of 2012, up 4.26 percent from $44.53 billion during the same period in 2011.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom