What's new

Arundhati Roy says Western journalists told 'No negative news from India'

I agree Mishra ...I have seen it first hand and when i try to open folks eyes to this on this forum, I get ridiculed. Its no laughing matter......the gov't has been and still is inefficient. I don;t agree with their methods wholeheartedly but I 110% sympathsize with their anger, frustation and violent reaction to gov't BS. Again, its not a Congi Vs. BJP....they are both of the same problem....

GoI has two choices:

1. Exploit the natural resources in the tribal belt for the progress of the nation by giving the tribals a fair deal and making them partners in India's progress.

2. Heed to the likes of Arundati Roy and close the tribal belt and convert into some sort reservation . Leave the triabls to do what ever comes to their fancy. In other words leave the tribals alone and also quit dreaming of making India and Industrial Powerhouse.

1. Exploit the natural resources in the tribal belt for the progress of the nation by giving the tribals a fair deal and making them partners in India's progress.

EXPLOIT! Bad choice of words for the world's largest democracy! GoI should STOP selling India's resources for dirt cheap in return for bribes. I agree, GoI should work side by side with the tribals & people of India!

EXPLOIT! Bad choice of words for the world's largest democracy! GoI should STOP selling India's resources for dirt cheap in return for bribes. I agree, GoI should work side by side with the tribals & people of India!

GOI is not selling those resources to anyone, India needs those minerals. The whole world in mining in tribal and aboriginal area, there is no reason why India should feel morally obliged not to. Lets not forget that the whole world was tribal at one stage. There is nothing worth protecting in these tribal regions. People need to evolve.

GOI is not selling those resources to anyone, India needs those minerals. The whole world in mining in tribal and aboriginal area, there is no reason why India should feel morally obliged not to. Lets not forget that the whole world was tribal at one stage. There is nothing worth protecting in these tribal regions. People need to evolve.

I agree with most of what u say, however -

Corruption in India has grown to alarming proportions because of policies that have created enormous incentives for its proliferation, coupled with the lack of an effective institution that can investigate and prosecute the corrupt. Under the garb of liberalisation and privatisation, India has adopted policies by which natural resources and public assets (mineral resources, oil and gas, land, spectrum, and so on) have been allowed to be privatised without transparency or a process of public auctioning. Almost overnight, hundreds of memorandums of understanding (MoUs) have been signed by governments with private corporations, leasing out large tracts of land rich in mineral resources, forests and water. These allow the corporations to take away and sell the resources by paying the government a royalty, which is usually less than 1 per cent of the value of the resources.

The Hindu : Opinion / Leader Page Articles : Jan Lokpal bill: addressing concerns

Thats exactly people like Arundati Roy wants. They want the tribals to stay as they are..to live and die as they did for thousands of years. People like AR don't want modernity to reach the tribals.

'Exploitation of natural resources' is a common usage in the English Language. Or is that you prefer the term ' extraction of mineral ores from ground through manual or mechanical means with or without the help of small, medium or large controlled blasts' instead.

Well actually... China is India's largest trade partner and quote

At present, iron ore constitutes about 53% of the total Indian exports to China.

Thats exactly people like Arundati Roy wants. They want the tribals to stay as they are..to live and die as they did for thousands of years. People like AR don't want modernity to reach the tribals.

She is trying to protect something that just doesn't belong in this century. We can't return to the dark ages.
She must be quite demented making such comments about the media. If you want to make an anti-India point, just send it to the Guardian newspaper. They love it;)

Thanks for the update.

Well India still needs the minerals to bring down the trade deficit between India-China.

At the risk of you whining about me using big words or 'ideas', this is another false argument. India doesn't need to bring down the trade deficit with any one nation at the cost of harming itself. It just needs to keep a healthy overall balance of trade.

Composition matters alot more.

At the risk of you whining about me using big words or 'ideas', this is another false argument. India doesn't need to bring down the trade deficit with any one nation at the cost of harming itself. It just needs to keep a healthy overall balance of trade.

Composition matters alot more.

:lol: Still mad about yesterday? I wasn't whining about you using big ideas or words, the criticism was about you bringing in theories which weren't even relevant to the situation.

=========

India i not harming itself in anyway by mining. Tree huggers are a common phenomenon in democratic countries. I won't really count them as a harm as such.

:lol: Still mad about yesterday? I wasn't whining about you using big ideas or words, the criticism was about you bringing in theories which weren't even relevant to the situation.

=========

India i not harming itself in anyway by mining. Tree huggers are a common phenomenon in democratic countries. I won't really count them as a harm as such.

I refer to it only because you are doing the same thing again. I really tried my best in helping you understand how those concepts were relevant, you didn't, I'm not mad about it or else I'd still be banging away on that thread, I just gave up. If you regard everything you personally don't understand or comprehend as dismissible, it's time very hard for me to argue with. That's all.

I refer to it only because you are doing the same thing again. I really tried my best in helping you understand how those concepts were relevant, you didn't, I'm not mad about it or else I'd still be banging away on that thread, I just gave up. If you regard everything you personally don't understand or comprehend as dismissible, it's time very hard for me to argue with. That's all.

There were other people on that thread who felt the same way, it wasn't just me. Anyways its pointless discussing about that thread, what I would like to know is how am I doing it again?

There were other people on that thread who felt the same way, it wasn't just me. Anyways its pointless discussing about that thread, what I would like to know is how am I doing it again?

Maybe I'm not communicating clearly enough. I'll try to be less wordy. My problem is with your assertions

1) India is not exporting natural resources

GOI is not selling those resources to anyone

Obviously India is exporting natural resources. It was a nonsensical assert to make in the first place.

2) India only export raw material in order to obtain parity in the balance of trade with China.

Well India still needs the minerals to bring down the trade deficit between India-China.

There is no evidence that India is exporting for the sole reason of balancing trade with China. Trade happens as a matter of convenience, China needs natural resources, Indian companies feels able to meet this market demand. There is no bureaucrat in Delhi saying "our trade deficit with China is too large, get some companies exporting to China whatever it takes"

Back
Top Bottom