What's new

Arrest warrant issued against Bangladeshi singer Noble in India for defaming Indian PM Narendra Modi

Thanks for the tidbits.

No non-Bengali Indian will openly admit to you that they do not like Bengalis personally.

But non-Bengali Indians (especially the semi-educated new-money types from Western and Northern states) always have a discriminatory outlook.

Judge them on what they do, not what they say openly. What they have done is that every wealthier state (Maharashtra, Gujarat and Punjab) have started official rules on having their own language as a pre-requisite for jobs and education locally in their states. Not ENGLISH.

If you know Garga that much, I'm sure you know what he says about Hindi cultural Samrajya-badi (colonialism) in WB. I spoke at length about having a back bone and having some self-respect as a Bengali, and you responded with nothing...is it something you take pride in it or not??
I was born in India, brought up in India and stayed in different parts of India. In fact my college was outside Bengal. And you are telling me that how non bengalis treat bengalis.
Just asking a question, have you been to Maharashtra and Punjab ?
Other than Biharis, Punjabis gets well with the Bengalis. My close relatives and friends are settled in Maharashtra, they will give a stare to me as if I am an alien If i ask them this question.
Don't believe in Garg, as I told he has his political ambition.
Bengali is the second most spoken language in India and it has better status/recognition then Marathi, Punjabi or Gujrati. More than 1 c permanently settled people outside East India proudly tells Bengali as their mother tongue.
And you haven't got hold of the stats I shared. Garga is in nuts. Because of long years of mismanagement Bengalis has to work other parts of India as we don't have enough jobs here. What happens if they tell one day we dont need Bengalis here? In Fact I have seen bullying behaviour of Bengalis in group in diff states.
Just to remind you most rikshawala in Noida are from Malda, labourers in Kerala, mill workers in Gujrat, almost all goldsmiths in various parts of India.
Even our resident bengali @Joe Shearer is not in Bengal. I know many other bengalis in this forum not in Bengal. Get some first hand from them.

I was born in India, brought up in India and stayed in different parts of India. In fact my college was outside Bengal. And you are telling me that how non bengalis treat bengalis.
Other than Biharis, Punjabis gets well with the Bengalis. My close relatives and friends are settled in Maharashtra, they will give a stare to me as if I am an alien If i ask them this question.
Bengali is the second most spoken language in India and it has better status/recognition then Marathi, Punjabi or Gujrati. More than 1 c permanently settled people outside East India proudly tells Bengali as their mother tongue.
And you haven't got hold of the stats I shared. Garga is in nuts. Because of long years of mismanagement Bengalis has to work other parts of India as we don't have enough jobs here. What happens if they tell one day we dont need Bengalis here? In Fact I have seen bullying behaviour of Bengalis in group in diff states.
Just to remind you most rikshawala in Noida are from Malda, labourers in Kerala, mill workers in Gujrat, almost all goldsmiths in various parts of India.
Even our resident bengali @Joe Shearer is not in Bengal. I know many other bengalis in this forum not in Bengal. Get some first hand from them.

All over UP and Punjab, all kinds of people advertise their medical expertise by putting up the sign 'Bangali Daktar' outside their clinics; the 'doctors' range from Pahadis to Bhaiyyas, but to all of them and their patients, the cachet Bengali matters, nothing else. All over the north, people who want an accountant who will not cheat them blind hire Bengalis, pampering them to stay in outlandish remote places with fancy terms and conditions; the example most vivid in my mind is the cashier of the biggest textile complex in Ludhiana, who was the only person trusted with managing cash, setting aside a 35-person department packed with locals with fancy notions about themselves. In Hyderabad, apart from my sister's friend, the ex-IAS officer who married a scion of the Deccan nobility and, with his consent and encouragement, wrote a definitive book on public policy along with the lead scientist of the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, and took time off to become a movie star acclaimed in Telugu film circles, her father-in-law was Director of Warner Hindustan, and the city's biggest pharmaceutical firm, Dr. Reddy's Labs., is run by a Bengali group that totally controls the organisation. In Bangalore, the National Law College was set up by a trio, of whom the most contentious was the Bengali member, but he was well-accepted; necessarily so, since Bangalore has 18 Durga Pujas, with the most lavish bhog to which the locals flock in very large numbers.

Tell me when to stop.

A Bengali gets RESPECT, from Kashmir to Kanyakumari (in Kashmir, my friends indignantly asked me why Bengalis were not taking the lead to kick the centre in the arse, in their interest; it became embarrassing at times to convince them that I was not capable of organising another Jugantar or Anushilan Samiti).

Did I mention the Bengali mafia in Bollywood? Led by Hrishikesh Mukherjee and a close relative, Bimal Roy? Or Tarun (The Dacoits of Chambal) Bhaduri's little girl, who did RATHER well for herself? Tell me when to stop.

I am not denying that there are Bengali haters, of the sort that @Bilal9 Bhai describes, but they are recognised widely as creeps, and despised. It is another matter that, on our own, we cleave to our Bangladeshi folk; after all, they are blood of our blood, flesh of our flesh. If they were to introduce themselves as Bangali, without poking anyone in the eye with a flag, they would see for themselves the instant look of deference and respect in the north Indian's expression. They know what they know.

All over UP and Punjab, all kinds of people advertise their medical expertise by putting up the sign 'Bangali Daktar' outside their clinics; the 'doctors' range from Pahadis to Bhaiyyas, but to all of them and their patients, the cachet Bengali matters, nothing else. All over the north, people who want an accountant who will not cheat them blind hire Bengalis, pampering them to stay in outlandish remote places with fancy terms and conditions; the example most vivid in my mind is the cashier of the biggest textile complex in Ludhiana, who was the only person trusted with managing cash, setting aside a 35-person department packed with locals with fancy notions about themselves. In Hyderabad, apart from my sister's friend, the ex-IAS officer who married a scion of the Deccan nobility and, with his consent and encouragement, wrote a definitive book on public policy along with the lead scientist of the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, and took time off to become a movie star acclaimed in Telugu film circles, her father-in-law was Director of Warner Hindustan, and the city's biggest pharmaceutical firm, Dr. Reddy's Labs., is run by a Bengali group that totally controls the organisation. In Bangalore, the National Law College was set up by a trio, of whom the most contentious was the Bengali member, but he was well-accepted; necessarily so, since Bangalore has 18 Durga Pujas, with the most lavish bhog to which the locals flock in very large numbers.

Tell me when to stop.

A Bengali gets RESPECT, from Kashmir to Kanyakumari (in Kashmir, my friends indignantly asked me why Bengalis were not taking the lead to kick the centre in the arse, in their interest; it became embarrassing at times to convince them that I was not capable of organising another Jugantar or Anushilan Samiti).

Did I mention the Bengali mafia in Bollywood? Led by Hrishikesh Mukherjee and a close relative, Bimal Roy? Or Tarun (The Dacoits of Chambal) Bhaduri's little girl, who did RATHER well for herself? Tell me when to stop.

I am not denying that there are Bengali haters, of the sort that @Bilal9 Bhai describes, but they are recognised widely as creeps, and despised. It is another matter that, on our own, we cleave to our Bangladeshi folk; after all, they are blood of our blood, flesh of our flesh. If they were to introduce themselves as Bangali, without poking anyone in the eye with a flag, they would see for themselves the instant look of deference and respect in the north Indian's expression. They know what they know.
That's enough for him now. Wish i have a good English teacher like you.

Tell me when to stop.

This is nice to hear; hope these are true.

As an outsider, when we see Indian media, especially bollywood or Hindi drama, the typical portrayal of a Bengali would be that of a coward or a petty thief while Bengali women are portrayed as sort of an easy-to-get promiscuous individuals.

Quite surprising to hear about the Bengali mafia in Bollywood; Hrishikesh Mukherjee was active in the 80s I reckon, is he still active? I believe the most prominent Bengalis in present-day Bollywood would be Rani Mukherjee or Kajol but they too seem to be figures of the past. Bengalis are quite visible in the Bollywood music industry though.

Since you mentioned about Anushilon Shamity and Jugantar, how are Surja Sen, Khudiram Bose and the likes are regarded in India overall, I mean is there any commemoration of sorts? I know for sure Bhagat Singh is considered one of the greatest national heroes of India.

Since I made those remarks, I hope so too!!!! :D

As an outsider, when we see Indian media, especially bollywood or Hindi drama, the typical portrayal of a Bengali would be that of a coward or a petty thief while Bengali women are portrayed as sort of an easy-to-get promiscuous individuals.

To be honest, I haven't seen such depictions, although, continuing to be honest, I am not exactly an authority on Bollywood films. I am a little surprised.

It is true that Keshto Mukherjee spread the image of a drunken hiccuping lay-about; on the other hand, Utpal Dutt conveyed another image, of an irascible, usually autocratic tyrant, domestic and professional, with an eye for pretty women, or in other roles, a clear disapproval of the same pretty women (perhaps these are different facets of the same mental make-up). Again (men only) Kishore Kumar and Ashok Kumar were so different. Biswajit made so fleeting an appearance that he doesn't count. Uttam and Saumitra were always purely Bengali artistes, with little or not interaction with Bollywood.

Quite surprising to hear about the Bengali mafia in Bollywood; Hrishikesh Mukherjee was active in the 80s I reckon, is he still active? I believe the most prominent Bengalis in present-day Bollywood would be Rani Mukherjee or Kajol but they too seem to be figures of the past. Bengalis are quite visible in the Bollywood music industry though.

Sadly, you are right. Only the musicians are left to represent us.

But the reasons are not entirely disheartening. The native Bengali film industry is going through a strange revival just now; in a word, modern Bengali films are no longer new wave and different from Bollywood. They are doing well because they 'do' Bollywood in Bengali, with Bengali artistes.

Since you mentioned about Anushilon Shamity and Jugantar, how are Surja Sen, Khudiram Bose and the likes are regarded in India overall, I mean is there any commemoration of sorts? I know for sure Bhagat Singh is considered one of the greatest national heroes of India.

Not very actively. Those who are conscious of these things naturally keep up the celebrations, but as more and more young people grow up in an Americanised milieu, the numbers celebrating are shrinking every year. My family, being Dhaka based, was linked to these groups; my father was taken to school not by our own direct relatives but by a gyati, who was Dinesh Gupta's elder brother. After I'm gone, who'll remember? My daughter, being half-Bengali, speaks Bengali; my son-in-law, although born into a probashi Bangali family thankfully reads and writes and keeps up his Bengali. So my grandson has at least a reasonable hope of growing up with some smattering of Bengali. Since they live in strange places, it is too much to hope that he will be adept in it.

Times are changing. I can't expect them to replicate my milieu, having been educated in small towns - Jalpaiguri, Barrackpore - and in the Bengali medium until Class VIII. There was also the enormous peer pressure in Presidency to speak in Bengali at all times; you probably appreciate that if two Bengalis get together, there is no scope for any other language.

I think what I'm trying to say in my half-articulated way is that these are quintessentially Bengali facets of the freedom struggle, and neither the Congress outside Bengal nor these contemporary Sanghi swines do much to keep those memories alive; it doesn't suit their narrative (the Congress within Bengal was faithful to these icons, knowing very well that Nehru and Patel would not go down very well, Gandhi would, but not these).

There is far more resonance with south Indians; they remember about Bengal and Bengalis in the freedom movement. We are not remembered in the north for our role in the freedom struggle but for our intellect, training and integrity. And of course, the teaching and journalism professions are packed with Bengalis.

Tell me when to stop.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to write this long narrative.

Coming from you - I have no doubts as for the veracity of what you spoke.

I guess Garga's position is rather motivated by other objectives, some of it anti-BJP, some of it anti-Bihari.

Thanks also, as always, for clearing up my misunderstanding on some things. :-)

Since I made those remarks, I hope so too!!!! :D

To be honest, I haven't seen such depictions, although, continuing to be honest, I am not exactly an authority on Bollywood films. I am a little surprised.

It is true that Keshto Mukherjee spread the image of a drunken hiccuping lay-about; on the other hand, Utpal Dutt conveyed another image, of an irascible, usually autocratic tyrant, domestic and professional, with an eye for pretty women, or in other roles, a clear disapproval of the same pretty women (perhaps these are different facets of the same mental make-up). Again (men only) Kishore Kumar and Ashok Kumar were so different. Biswajit made so fleeting an appearance that he doesn't count. Uttam and Saumitra were always purely Bengali artistes, with little or not interaction with Bollywood.

Sadly, you are right. Only the musicians are left to represent us.

But the reasons are not entirely disheartening. The native Bengali film industry is going through a strange revival just now; in a word, modern Bengali films are no longer new wave and different from Bollywood. They are doing well because they 'do' Bollywood in Bengali, with Bengali artistes.

Not very actively. Those who are conscious of these things naturally keep up the celebrations, but as more and more young people grow up in an Americanised milieu, the numbers celebrating are shrinking every year. My family, being Dhaka based, was linked to these groups; my father was taken to school not by our own direct relatives but by a gyati, who was Dinesh Gupta's elder brother. After I'm gone, who'll remember? My daughter, being half-Bengali, speaks Bengali; my son-in-law, although born into a probashi Bangali family thankfully reads and writes and keeps up his Bengali. So my grandson has at least a reasonable hope of growing up with some smattering of Bengali. Since they live in strange places, it is too much to hope that he will be adept in it.

Times are changing. I can't expect them to replicate my milieu, having been educated in small towns - Jalpaiguri, Barrackpore - and in the Bengali medium until Class VIII. There was also the enormous peer pressure in Presidency to speak in Bengali at all times; you probably appreciate that if two Bengalis get together, there is no scope for any other language.

I think what I'm trying to say in my half-articulated way is that these are quintessentially Bengali facets of the freedom struggle, and neither the Congress outside Bengal nor these contemporary Sanghi swines do much to keep those memories alive; it doesn't suit their narrative (the Congress within Bengal was faithful to these icons, knowing very well that Nehru and Patel would not go down very well, Gandhi would, but not these).

There is far more resonance with south Indians; they remember about Bengal and Bengalis in the freedom movement. We are not remembered in the north for our role in the freedom struggle but for our intellect, training and integrity. And of course, the teaching and journalism professions are packed with Bengalis.
Dada you should write a memoir. It will be sad to loss all these stories & memories.

I will take a hard cover edition :)

Dada you should write a memoir. It will be sad to loss all these stories & memories.

I will take a hard cover edition :)

LOL.

Thank you, Bhai amar.

A factoid: my father was not in the posh school of those years, St.Gregory's. As befitted a humble college professor's son, he was put into Pogose School, named after an Armenian gentleman, an institution that paid its shareholders dividends!!! When my father did well in his School Finals (joint first), in his usual frank manner (he was a blunt Bangal, after all), he marched up to the Headmaster and asked to be recognised, to that gentleman's consternation. Finally, a (rather small-sized) gold medal was struck and awarded.

The real romantic story is about my Dadu, my matamaha, who wrote his memoirs, Sat Samudra Tero Nadi'r Paar. It was an unbelievable adventure, one that started in 1913 with a deck passage to Yokohama, and ended in 1919 in Pembroke College, Oxford, qualifying for an MA, needed to satisfy the British who looked down their noses at American degrees, even Masters degrees in Botany from Syracuse, and a prerequisite for a seat in the Indian Forest Service, and finally a posting as the first Bengali in Forest Service in the south of India.

He was the most decent gentleman that I have met in my life; a pukka angrez, but truly clean and above board in everything, and a credit to Kulokathi, his native village. And a most affectionate grandfather.

Last edited:
LOL.

Thank you, Bhai amar.

A factoid: my father was not in the posh school of those years, St.Gregory's. As befitted a humble college professor's son, he was put into Pogose School, named after an Armenian gentleman, an institution that paid its shareholders dividends!!! When my father did well in his School Finals (joint first), in his usual frank manner (he was a blunt Bangal, after all), he marched up to the Headmaster and asked to be recognised, to that gentleman's consternation. Finally, a (rather small-sized) gold medal was struck and awarded.

The real romantic story is about my Dadu, my matamaha, who wrote his memoirs, Sat Samudra Tero Nadi'r Paar. It was an unbelievable adventure, one that started in 1913 with a deck passage to Yokohama, and ended in 1919 in Pembroke College, Oxford, qualifying for an MA, needed to satisfy the British who looked down their noses at American degrees, even Masters degrees in Botany from Syracuse, and a prerequisite for a seat in the Indian Forest Service, and finally a posting as the first Bengali in Forest Service in the south of India.

He was the most decent gentleman that I have met in my life; a pukka angrez, but truly clean and above board in everything, and a credit to Kulokathi, his native village. And a most affectionate grandfather.
I can swear that generation has achieved such excellent feat that our generation can only achieve in our dreams, under the warm safety of the bed covers at night. I also remember the story of "The Dentist", a boy worked as a Khalasi on ships, ship jumped in NY harbour & worked to become a dentist. Absolutely magnificent!

One of my great grandfather's brother (a great-uncle?) left home after WW1 somehow ended up in USA & became a commercial pilot!! That was a story I would pay to read in a book or watch in a theater. Sadly his story was never told.

I can swear that generation has achieved such excellent feat that our generation can only achieve in our dreams, under the warm safety of the bed covers at night. I also remember the story of "The Dentist", a boy worked as a Khalasi on ships, ship jumped in NY harbour & worked to become a dentist. Absolutely magnificent!

One of my great grandfather's brother (a great-uncle?) left home after WW1 somehow ended up in USA & became a commercial pilot!! That was a story I would pay to read in a book or watch in a theater. Sadly his story was never told.

Any relatives left? You must try and hunt them down, and get their stories.

They have a lot of female Bengali actresses but not male ones. Strange.

Except for Biswajit, the females were prettier.

Any relatives left? You must try and hunt them down, and get their stories.
Unfortunately there's none who can give conclusive clue to his whereabouts. We lost many of our family elders within few years in late '70 to early '80s. And the connection was lost.

I am trying though. :-)

Unfortunately there's none who can give conclusive clue to his whereabouts. We lost many of our family elders within few years in late '70 to early '80s. And the connection was lost.

I am trying though. :-)

Best of luck.

I do hope you find them. It would be wonderful.

Tell me when to stop.

Don't make any mistake; @Bilal9 is very dear to me. As are you.
Even I like him, though I hate Garga.

My father was a lecturer in Maths in Muzaffarpur University, the same place where Khudiram was executed. His statue is in the middle of the city and the city comes to a halt in his death anniversary. Still customary silence is observed at 4:02 AM when he was hanged. I heard from my father that Nehru's meeting was boycotted as he termed him terrorist.
Surya Sen - Movie happened in Bollywood with Abhishek Bacchan and Dipika in lead roles.

Back
Top Bottom