What's new

Arrest warrant issued against Bangladeshi singer Noble in India for defaming Indian PM Narendra Modi

Even I like him, though I hate Garga.

My father was a lecturer in Maths in Muzaffarpur University, the same place where Khudiram was executed. His statue is in the middle of the city and the city comes to a halt in his death anniversary. Still customary silence is observed at 4:02 AM when he was hanged. I heard from my father that Nehru's meeting was boycotted as he termed him terrorist.
Surya Sen - Movie happened in Bollywood with Abhishek Bacchan and Dipika in lead roles.

If it was the movie Chittagong, it was made by the husband of Shonali Bose, Bedabrata Pain, and starred Manoj Bajpayee, Nawazuddin Siddiqi, and actors of that stature. There is a little personal history.

@Bilal9 has this apocalyptic vision of a Bengal over-run by northerners. He is not entirely wrong. In the 40s and 50s, the Punjabis were very strongly entrenched in Calcutta. There was this gentleman Pran Prashad, worked for Bird & Co., one of the agency houses, who got the bright idea of telling the then British Managing Director that the newly independent Indian government at the centre was planning to put him (the Briton) behind bars for economic crimes of an undefined nature. That gentleman took the next flight out, and left the company to Pran (Bijji) Prashad and his other Indian colleagues, Shantanu (Sean) Ghosh, Santanu Ghose, and David Gillani; both the Ghosh families children were students with me, one right through school, the other, briefly, at College, before wafting her way to Bryn Mawr, en route to a marriage with a Swedish Count named Douglas, a descendant of the Black Douglas of Scotland.

Bijji Prashad was a baraati at my father's wedding, but he was there as a substitute. He substituted for his Mama or Mesho, I don't know which, Suraj Lal Dass, who was in the Port Commission, and later MD of the Indian Tube Co. Ltd., a joint venture between Tata Steel and British Steel. SLD was very prominent in Calcutta society, mainly because he was married to the famous beauty Ashru Kona, alias Kona Dass. They had four children, the kind and motherly Juni Di, Binni Di, the stunningly beautiful, and Radhika, who was even more good-looking than Binni Di. There was a brother who was a tea planter, went native, and died fairly early. Juni Di married Tutu Bose, and they had a daughter, Shonali. The marriage didn't last, and Juni Di died of cancer at an unreasonably early age.

Binni Di was an air-hostess. I suffered the deep chagrin as an impressionable teenager of seeing an exquisitely beautiful young woman march up to my father and kiss him in the middle of Dum Dum Airport, with the policemen around him bugging their eyes out, and my father looking appallingly complacent. At some point of time, she got fed up of the life she was leading, became a Marxist and is today a top leader of the CPM, married to a former party Secretary.

Radhika married 'Hurricane' Roy's son, Prannoy, and helped him set up NDTV.

They brought up Shonali, who became an activist right in college at Miranda House itself, and made the film Amu. Binni Di acted in it, and the Bengali half of her came out superbly. If you haven't seen Amu yet, just stop what you are doing and see it NOW. Shonali married Bedabrata Pain, had two children with him, and lost one in a tragic accident. Their marriage broke up, but Pain managed to make Chittagong, again a film that you need to see just this minute.

Bijji Prashad and his wife Soni had several children; it is one of the ironies that like Binni Di, one of them became a committed Marxist, and is a very well-known academician in the US, Vijay Prashad.

@Bilal9 @Arthur @Species @bluesky
@jbgt90 - I told you about meeting Binni Di after more than (ouch!) 50 years at NALSAR. After Kona Dass died in a tragic car crash, SLD married R Adm Kuruvilla's sister, Sushila; she was not a popular woman. They retired to live in their own property, Hampton Court in Ooty, that they bought from a family friend of ours, Sushila Adige, widow of Ram Adige, of the Tamil Nadu police, another IP officer. If you've heard the name Adige in connection with Manu Chhabria, you know now whose son Narayan is.
@Naofumi @xeuss
@jamahir - they don't make Communists like they used to.

LOL.

Thank you, Bhai amar.

A factoid: my father was not in the posh school of those years, St.Gregory's. As befitted a humble college professor's son, he was put into Pogose School, named after an Armenian gentleman, an institution that paid its shareholders dividends!!! When my father did well in his School Finals (joint first), in his usual frank manner (he was a blunt Bangal, after all), he marched up to the Headmaster and asked to be recognised, to that gentleman's consternation. Finally, a (rather small-sized) gold medal was struck and awarded.

The real romantic story is about my Dadu, my matamaha, who wrote his memoirs, Sat Samudra Tero Nadi'r Paar. It was an unbelievable adventure, one that started in 1913 with a deck passage to Yokohama, and ended in 1919 in Pembroke College, Oxford, qualifying for an MA, needed to satisfy the British who looked down their noses at American degrees, even Masters degrees in Botany from Syracuse, and a prerequisite for a seat in the Indian Forest Service, and finally a posting as the first Bengali in Forest Service in the south of India.

He was the most decent gentleman that I have met in my life; a pukka angrez, but truly clean and above board in everything, and a credit to Kulokathi, his native village. And a most affectionate grandfather.

Interesting stuff Dada. :-)

Pogose school (old building) still stands, though I'm sure since they started it in 1848, it may be seen as historic structure in the future.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogose_School

Here are the notes on the many notable alumni,

"Many of the students of Pogose School became famous and successful. Among them are Chief Ministers Profullah Chandra Ghosh (of West Bengal) and Ataur Rahman Khan (of East Bengal), as well as the first Bengali doctorate Nishikanto Chatterjee and the first Indian Doctor of Science Aghornath Chatterjee, who was the father of Sarojini Naidu.

There are a number of alumni who went on to become pioneers in their fields, including Dr. P K Ray, the first Bengali principal of Dhaka College, Sir K G Gupta, the first Indian Privy Councilor and the first ICS officer from East Bengal, and Girish Chandra Sen, first Quran translator in Bengali.

oet Shamsur Rahman, Kaykobad, editor Kaliprasanna Ghosh, writer and Marxist activist Somen Chanda and comedian Bhanu Banerjee, as well as Zahirul Haque, Director of Banking Control of Karachi, the writer Nowsher Ali Khan Yusufzai and Babu Mathuramohan Chakraborty, the founder of Ayurvedic medicine house Sakti Ausadhalaya studied here."

By the way, Aghornath Babu was Sarojini Naidu's father, and this is what her Wikipedia page says.

"Sarojini Naidu was born in Hyderabad to Aghorenath Chattopadhyay, a Bengali Brahmin who was the principal of the Nizam's College in Hyderabad. Her parental home was at Brahmangaon in Bikrampur (in present-day Bangladesh).[1] Her father, Aghorenath Chattopadhyay, with a doctorate of Science from Edinburgh University, settled in Hyderabad, where he administered Hyderabad college, which later became Nizam College in Hyderabad. Her mother, Barada Sundari Devi Chattopadhyay, was a poet and used to write poetry in Bengali."

Looks like other Pogosians beat Kakamoshai (your father) to Hyderabad! :-)

Is Brahmangaon close to your ancestral home? My apologies for map and location skills, they're atrocious.

Sarojini Naidu's story is even more fascinating. After passing her matriculation examination from the University of Madras, in 1895, H.E.H. the Nizam's Charitable Trust founded by the 6th Nizam, Mahbub Ali Khan gave her the chance to study in England, first at King's College, London and later at Girton College, Cambridge.

This is her in 1912.
255px-Sarojini_Naidu.jpg

Quite a feat for a woman in those days, when women barely got past class five education, and had no voting rights, even in Western countries. In England she joined the suffragette movement.

Though not as well known, Begum Rokeya Sakhawat Hussain from Bengal was another early progressive feminist like Naidu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begum_Rokeya

Thanks for all the narratives Dada. Learned a lot through your narratives and my ensuing research.

Especially that a Baidya Hindu Person (Girish Chandra Sen) contributed the first Bengali translation of the Quran.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girish_Chandra_Sen

If it was the movie Chittagong, it was made by the husband of Shonali Bose, Bedabrata Pain, and starred Manoj Bajpayee, Nawazuddin Siddiqi, and actors of that stature. There is a little personal history.

@Bilal9 has this apocalyptic vision of a Bengal over-run by northerners. He is not entirely wrong. In the 40s and 50s, the Punjabis were very strongly entrenched in Calcutta. There was this gentleman Pran Prashad, worked for Bird & Co., one of the agency houses, who got the bright idea of telling the then British Managing Director that the newly independent Indian government at the centre was planning to put him (the Briton) behind bars for economic crimes of an undefined nature. That gentleman took the next flight out, and left the company to Pran (Bijji) Prashad and his other Indian colleagues, Shantanu (Sean) Ghosh, Santanu Ghose, and David Gillani; both the Ghosh families children were students with me, one right through school, the other, briefly, at College, before wafting her way to Bryn Mawr, en route to a marriage with a Swedish Count named Douglas, a descendant of the Black Douglas of Scotland.

Bijji Prashad was a baraati at my father's wedding, but he was there as a substitute. He substituted for his Mama or Mesho, I don't know which, Suraj Lal Dass, who was in the Port Commission, and later MD of the Indian Tube Co. Ltd., a joint venture between Tata Steel and British Steel. SLD was very prominent in Calcutta society, mainly because he was married to the famous beauty Ashru Kona, alias Kona Dass. They had four children, the kind and motherly Juni Di, Binni Di, the stunningly beautiful, and Radhika, who was even more good-looking than Binni Di. There was a brother who was a tea planter, went native, and died fairly early. Juni Di married Tutu Bose, and they had a daughter, Shonali. The marriage didn't last, and Juni Di died of cancer at an unreasonably early age.

Binni Di was an air-hostess. I suffered the deep chagrin as an impressionable teenager of seeing an exquisitely beautiful young woman march up to my father and kiss him in the middle of Dum Dum Airport, with the policemen around him bugging their eyes out, and my father looking appallingly complacent. At some point of time, she got fed up of the life she was leading, became a Marxist and is today a top leader of the CPM, married to a former party Secretary.

Radhika married 'Hurricane' Roy's son, Prannoy, and helped him set up NDTV.

They brought up Shonali, who became an activist right in college at Miranda House itself, and made the film Amu. Binni Di acted in it, and the Bengali half of her came out superbly. If you haven't seen Amu yet, just stop what you are doing and see it NOW. Shonali married Bedabrata Pain, had two children with him, and lost one in a tragic accident. Their marriage broke up, but Pain managed to make Chittagong, again a film that you need to see just this minute.

Bijji Prashad and his wife Soni had several children; it is one of the ironies that like Binni Di, one of them became a committed Marxist, and is a very well-known academician in the US, Vijay Prashad.

@Bilal9 @Arthur @Species @bluesky
@jbgt90 - I told you about meeting Binni Di after more than (ouch!) 50 years at NALSAR. After Kona Dass died in a tragic car crash, SLD married R Adm Kuruvilla's sister, Sushila; she was not a popular woman. They retired to live in their own property, Hampton Court in Ooty, that they bought from a family friend of ours, Sushila Adige, widow of Ram Adige, of the Tamil Nadu police, another IP officer. If you've heard the name Adige in connection with Manu Chhabria, you know now whose son Narayan is.
@Naofumi @xeuss
i know the Adige family , give me a call . for some reason your ph is out of reach again.

Interesting stuff Dada. :-)

Pogose school (old building) still stands, though I'm sure since they started it in 1848, it may be seen as historic structure in the future.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogose_School

Here are the notes on the many notable alumni,

"Many of the students of Pogose School became famous and successful. Among them are Chief Ministers Profullah Chandra Ghosh (of West Bengal) and Ataur Rahman Khan (of East Bengal), as well as the first Bengali doctorate Nishikanto Chatterjee and the first Indian Doctor of Science Aghornath Chatterjee, who was the father of Sarojini Naidu.

There are a number of alumni who went on to become pioneers in their fields, including Dr. P K Ray, the first Bengali principal of Dhaka College, Sir K G Gupta, the first Indian Privy Councilor and the first ICS officer from East Bengal, and Girish Chandra Sen, first Quran translator in Bengali.

oet Shamsur Rahman, Kaykobad, editor Kaliprasanna Ghosh, writer and Marxist activist Somen Chanda and comedian Bhanu Banerjee, as well as Zahirul Haque, Director of Banking Control of Karachi, the writer Nowsher Ali Khan Yusufzai and Babu Mathuramohan Chakraborty, the founder of Ayurvedic medicine house Sakti Ausadhalaya studied here."

By the way, Aghornath Babu was Sarojini Naidu's father, and this is what her Wikipedia page says.

"Sarojini Naidu was born in Hyderabad to Aghorenath Chattopadhyay, a Bengali Brahmin who was the principal of the Nizam's College in Hyderabad. Her parental home was at Brahmangaon in Bikrampur (in present-day Bangladesh).[1] Her father, Aghorenath Chattopadhyay, with a doctorate of Science from Edinburgh University, settled in Hyderabad, where he administered Hyderabad college, which later became Nizam College in Hyderabad. Her mother, Barada Sundari Devi Chattopadhyay, was a poet and used to write poetry in Bengali."

Looks like other Pogosians beat Kakamoshai (your father) to Hyderabad! :-)

Is Brahmangaon close to your ancestral home? My apologies for map and location skills, they're atrocious.

Sarojini Naidu's story is even more fascinating. After passing her matriculation examination from the University of Madras, in 1895, H.E.H. the Nizam's Charitable Trust founded by the 6th Nizam, Mahbub Ali Khan gave her the chance to study in England, first at King's College, London and later at Girton College, Cambridge.

This is her in 1912.
255px-Sarojini_Naidu.jpg

Quite a feat for a woman in those days, when women barely got past class five education, and had no voting rights, even in Western countries. In England she joined the suffragette movement.

Though not as well known, Begum Rokeya Sakhawat Hussain from Bengal was another early progressive feminist like Naidu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begum_Rokeya

Thanks for all the narratives Dada. Learned a lot through your narratives and my ensuing research.

Especially that a Baidya Hindu Person (Girish Chandra Sen) contributed the first Bengali translation of the Quran.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girish_Chandra_Sen

Terrific research, Bilal Bhai. Bhanu Kaka, or Shamyomoy, was my father's classmate!

Had you noticed that of Benoy-Badal-Dinesh, all three were Bikrampur people? Two, Badal and Dinesh, were close relatives of ours. That is why the British discreetly posted my father to Chittagong, to liaise with XIV Army. His contemporaries, Khwaja Mohammad Kaisar and Taslimuddin Ahmed, got plum urban postings.

Last edited:
it is one of the ironies that like Binni Di, one of them became a committed Marxist, and is a very well-known academician in the US, Vijay Prashad.

I have read his book - Pirates of the Caribbean - some years ago. I didn't know his familial history.

Yes, in the preceding two decades there was a lull but the recent graduates of JNU - Kanhaiya, Shehla, Umar and co. give me hope. I hope to collaborate with them in the near-future.

I have read his book - Pirates of the Caribbean - some years ago. I didn't know his familial history.

LOLOL.
Well, now you know.

Yes, in the preceding two decades there was a lull but the recent graduates of JNU - Kanhaiya, Shehla, Umar and co. give me hope. I hope to collaborate with them in the near-future.

Better do it quick-ish. Mota Bhai doesn't hesitate to put pregnant women into police custody.

They don't make pigs like they used to.

Mota Bhai.

I've been trying since the day after you returned.

The problem with this phone business is that you have to pick up your phone.
Did not receive any calls from you , no missed calls at all and since i am home , am able to take calls. Call me on the personal number .

story told by all idiots. you can not do any different. you are just being yourself.

YOU'RE STILL HERE?

This is something really serious, and I have a bad feeling about it. The world is in danger.

Better to delete all my posts to you; maybe they won't guess my role in this dark development.:(

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom