What's new

Army to get BrahMos on June 21

Babur's latest test was claimed to be a 700+ km range version though I believe the actual range is much higher tha reported.
At this stage we don't want to attract too much attention to our missile capabilities. ;)

Neo seriously no offence, Babur must be of Turbofan propulsion to reach beyond that figure actually, now when did Pakistan made a Turbofan engine that even China is choking to make? A miniaturised turbofan engine is harder than kaveri to made, just so you get the drift on what scale things are :azn: .

Malaymishra, Brahmos drawback is not its range, remember always, Brahmos is designed to perform Anti-Ship role as primary thing than anything else, You cannot detect a ship over 300 kms distance in wave clutter, the range might look less, in reality mroe than enough for anti-shipping duties.

Dude you have forgotten few other drawbacks. The missile will not be on a LO-LO profile. The moment it pops up it will be spotted by Awacs or even ground based radars. Also the heat sigs are greater. Then there is the landscape which is not the same as out at sea.

As someone in the know once said,It is not a theater changing weapon, no one is wetting themselves about dealing with it.

Brahmos can perform S manuevre, Its range in hi-hi-hi is udnerreported, its range in lo-lo-lo is more than enough for anti-shipping duty.

Even if you can shoot down the missile , whom are we facing USN with constant AWACS coverage of PN and PLAN? The missile re-programmable flight control will be just programmed to dip below horizon once it reaches its required range, viola! we'll see how can you stop a mach 3+ missile with some ODD 30-40 kms away coming at horizon level.

Ever heard of what salvo-attack can do as well?

If you want to argue subsonic ASM with Supersonic ASM, I'm ready to do that, can point you out to a 50+ page discussion as well, and a official Navy;s developement script.

Let me tell you what baby this has, it is going to be equipped with Multi Spectral Seeker which is udner developement.

MBDA's Storm Shadow

Final phase: Imaging infra-red seeker automatic target recognition (ATR) and tracking high precision terminal guidance.

Lockheeds JASSM and JASSM-ER

The success of the Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile's (JASSM's) Development Test 1 (DT-1) on January 19 demonstrated several unique performance characteristics attributable to the system's Anti-Jam Global Positioning System (AJGPS), imaging infrared (I2R) seeker, and automatic target correlator (ATC). The combination of the three enables the missile to perform highly accurate strikes.

http://www.afmc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123017010

JASSM can be released in virtually any type of weather and uses its inertial navigation and global positioning systems to find its intended target and then its infrared seeker for pinpoint accuracy just before impact. Once in the air, the stealthy cruise missile can reach high subsonic speeds at .85 mach. It is also equipped with an anti-jammer that keeps the enemy in its crosshairs regardless of their technology or capabilities.

Boeings SLAM-ER

Seeker: Imaging Infra-Red Seeker, Automatic Target Acquisition image matching system

Brahmos is the only missile that uses SAR type terminal guidance seeker. Check the links for details on navigation and guidance. A new multispectral seeker is under developement which will come online around 2012 or so.

The guidance system of a Cruise missile is the most important bit, it is mostly GPS based therefore the Brahmos relays heavily on GPS, however, if the GPS satellites are switched off the Brahmos guidance system then is controlled by line of sight, hence its capability is worthless, the Brahmos is supersonic it also has very high signatures of audio and radar easy picking, Pakistan has a similar problem that it also has a cruise missile that depends on GPS, however, China will allow Pakistan to have uninterrupted GPS link from there upcoming GPS satellites the Babur uses a alloy made from aluminum which can also be replaced with a different material as the Babur is subsonic, and has low in audioble and radar signature, because it is subsonic it can use low profile metal for flight and be very flexible in fact it can have carbon fibre body and be completely undetected by a radar, the Brahmos is supersonic it requires high profile metal like a composite of titanium alloy this makes it have high signatures on the radar.

BrahMos uses GPS/GLONASS and will be able to use IRNS, when we develop it.

That is a good point the Brahmos has incredible speed it can attack the object easily, however, an AWACS will significantly stop that threat and heat seekers are the best choice for Brahmos or any other anti aircraft or missile system available as I understand that Brahmos will not be able to maneuver out as it will cost speed and it is not able to doge missiles.
An AWACS wont be detecting it at huge range, BrahMos was designed to have a low RCS. On top of that what i am trying to say is that even once detected, there is no way that that Pakistan can STOP the missile. There is no counter missile avaiable that would have such a fast reaction time.

The max time for BrahMos to reach its target is 5 mins approx i think.

Dear Malay,

Please throw more light on what you mean by a re-useable missile ?

Regards

A reusable missile is what we are trying to develop now.
The missile is normal for say, but when it approaches its target, instead of colliding with the target, it drops ordinance on the target, and returns back. This is much more economical and you can control the amount of ordinance you release on the target dependnig on the situation. These are the new types of missile which are under development.

I believe Tomahawk already has this capability, i am not sure though. It can certainly drop ordinance though.

The missile is recovered at sea.

Ok lets break this down.
The man oeuvre's that you talk about were mentioned was simply a S shape curve (it was posted somewhere on this site last year). It did not state the parameters of the curve (It could be over miles for all you know) Doing a lazy "s" is not the same as high speed evasions. Somehow the fact that it did a "s" has translated into "high speed evasions" which to be frank is utter horse crap.
The missile performed the S shaped manouver in its end phase, therefore it is more than likely that it was in its maximum speed. Which does constitute high speed evasions. The missile is under testing for further evasive actions. I really dont think there is any point of the S if it covers a huge distance for the manouver(considering its speed).

You mention that the advantages are speed and it's guidance package. Well the guidance package will get it to it's target, but it does not make it invulnerable which your post claims. I would love to see what constitutes "highly precise"
Highly precice would be a general term which every damn LACM worth its salt must be. That is the reason its an LACM, otherwise it would be as precise as a ballistic missile using inertial guidance.

ANd yes i am aware that the guidance package will only guide the missile to its target. What im trying to say is that developing a guidance package for a missile at such extreme speeds was no simple task.

Ok now onto range. In order for the missile to use it's full range it would not be traveling in its LO-LO profile hence it will be detected at long range by radar and then the high speed will mean that any missile will have a easier time of closing with it. (on a closing engagement) the high friction created by the missile through the air tends to negate RAM coatings and the resultant IR signature would make it a sitting duck for IR guided missiles. HUGE means big RCS.
The HI-HI range of the missile is not known. BrahMos is SERIOUSLY under ranged for its size. Take the hint.

It wont be a sitting such for the IR missiles, as such that is the reason why i said that Pakistan and i repeat PAKISTAN has no countermeasures for such missiles. The REACTION time for automated defence mechanism is just too large for this missile. Consider quick reaction misisle systems like SPYDER, even they would not be able to intercept the BrahMos.

Frankly this weapon is a bludgeon rather than a stiletto. In order for it to be a success it would need to swamp the defence with multiple launches (10+ per target) to even have a chance at success.
I disagree, i believe that just one would suffice for any target in Pakistan.

The max time for BrahMos to reach its target is 5 mins approx i think.

Less than five minutes. :-)

Only the Aegis is capable of intercepting a BarhMos at the present.....

Samudra dont hold your high on Aegis, Aegis is just a system, surely its nifty but thats a friggin computer system like PAAMS of T45, intercepting Brahmos has much to do with many other things than Aegis alone.

Now this is what I'm talking about. I prefer Brahmos over Prithvi anyday since cruise missiles are more accurate than ballistic missiles and hard to intercept(but pakistanis don't have anything in their arsenal to intercept even Prithvi, so this point os mot I guess). May the Army get as much as they want.

Back
Top Bottom