What's new

Army Chief witnessed firing of FM -90 air defence missile sys

Type 21 has LY-60 SAM which is based on Selena Aspide technology whereas LY-80/ HQ-16 is based on Russian medium range BUK missile system which has a pretty lethal accuracy. Both are different systems and have little to nothing in common. In fact, it is the longest ranged SAM system we have so far since no one knows whether we inducted the FD-2000/ HQ-18 or not ;)
Reports suggest Pakistan is going for HQ-9 and HQ-16

Reports suggest Pakistan is going for HQ-9 and HQ-16

Pakistan first to China's table for HQ-9, HQ-16 missile systems
  • Staff Reporter
  • 2015-04-02
  • 11:08 (GMT+8)
%E7%B4%85%E6%97%979%E5%8F%96%E8%87%AA%E6%96%B0%E8%8F%AF%E7%B6%B24-175029F_2013%E8%B3%87%E6%96%99%E7%85%A7%E7%89%87_copy1.JPG

The HQ-9 missile system. (Photo/Xinhua)
Pakistan was the first country to start negotiations with China on the import of the HQ-9 medium to long-range active radar homing surface-to-air missile and the HQ-16 truck-based vertically launched surface-to-air missile, according to the April 2015 edition of Kanwa Defense Review.
It's not surprising that Pakistan is choosing the HQ-9 to arm its air force given that its early warning aircraft and the majority of its fighters are Chinese, according to the journal.
Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan are also among potential customers for China's anti-aircraft missiles, possibly frustrating exports of Russia's S-300 series of long range surface-to-air missile systems, originally developed by the Soviet Union.
The report also said that China is planning to sell a range of equipment to Kazakhstan, including the Wing Loong or Yilong 1 drone.
At the beginning of the 20th Century, many of these former Soviet states exported weapons to China. Kazakhstan, for example, exported torpedoes, while Azerbaijan was formerly a major production base for Su-25 ground attack aircraft. China once received a Su-25 from Ukraine for research purposes. Now it seems the tides have turned and China is providing weapons for them, the report said.

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20150402000058&cid=1101

You saying SAM move at same speed as of Tank column, and provide air defense? :rofl:

You need light attack heli, if Pak serious about providing air support to Tanks column.

I dont know I should reply or not,it seems you misunderstood something or you haven't read my post. I did not write about Close air support, but about air defence for mechanized formations: Like that here:

Hellis can give air defence have you read that in a indian defence forum ?

And yes the Pakistani M-113 mouz-RBS-7o can move with the Tank formations while providing low air defence !

checkt that ! Mouz !

23m2007_15_w1.jpg

I am confused , we already have Crotale (missile) in our inventory ,why we go for this system.
Should go for Long Range Systems

Pakistan have history of SURPRISE ,alot of systems yet to be revealed.
Thats good approach:pakistan:

interesting
Yes in fact many suggest they already started to arrive and Pakistan may also be evaluating HQ-17 and Russia is also offering us few Air Defence Systems

FM-90 is much updated from crotale missile systems.

I wish PAF should have more squadrons,More Jf-17,F-16 & j-10B.

FM-90 is much updated from crotale missile systems.

I wish PAF should have more squadrons,More Jf-17,F-16 & j-10B.

Air Power is key to Defend your country.Only those having strong air force can survive

Im not satisfy with FM 90 becoz it is upgraded copy of french airdefence which we had its war head cant reach high altitudes so high altitude air defence we are lacking

Im not satisfy with FM 90 becoz it is upgraded copy of french airdefence which we had its war head cant reach high altitudes so high altitude air defence we are lacking

i think jets will take care of high altitudes , low to medium air defence is mostly used to defend against incoming missiles
Medium range systems are good to providing shild against air crafts and even low air defence systems can bring down air crafts ( Indian Jet fighters was destroyed by Anza-II in kargil war )

All weather, surface to air missile FM-90, with a capability to engage aerial target including cruise missiles, drones and air to surface guided missiles can operate under adverse electronic counter measures (ECM) environments. Excellent for defense of army troops, artillery & tanks.

fm-90 did not added anything new in force . we just replaced our crotales with copy of crotal .simple we need hq-9

Hmm so Army finally has at least a capable short range system. Good against those low flying attack choppers.
:cheers:

What about the LY-80? Is that with the airforce or Army?
If Persian Gulf war is any clue this could be used against all types of Indian aircrafts. MANPADS shot down F-16s, A-10s, AV-8s even though they are fast(not A-10), high altitude fighters.

Back
Top Bottom