What's new

Army Act Amendment : New chapter included in the Army Act 1952

But once they are in that pool of selection. prospective politicians will and there is no doubt about it use them to get to power in return for a 6 year term as COAS.
Do the extra 3 years as COAS offer an additional $100 million in benefits? What exactly is the tangible material benefit to an Army general to stay in office for another 3 years that justifies said general interfering in the elections to get a politician reelected?

what is very important in bajwa that he is being a top priority of All the political parties ?, specially of those to whom we all accuse for the bad condition of Pakistan,? it's something very very fishy to me,
No one wants to turn a non-issue into an issue. Quite frankly, no political party should have an issue with a bill defining the appointments and extensions of services chiefs because this bill merely reflects the same processes and laws in place in other democracies, including Western ones. Every political party would like to have the option to appoint and extend the services chiefs of their own choosing.

Do the extra 3 years as COAS offer an additional $100 million in benefits? What exactly is the tangible material benefit to an Army general to stay in office for another 3 years that justifies said general interfering in the elections to get a politician reelected?

Power

It's limited to the additional 3 years and given the reduced political involvement of the Army since Musharraf, not exactly the same attraction as before.

Any COAS that accepts an extension will do so because he loves the job and not because he'll be doling out unconstitutional favors to the political leadership that appointed him.

ISLAMABAD (92 News) – The President of Pakistan will be able to extend the service tenure of Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, said the Army Act Amendment draft obtained by 92 News.

According to the draft, a new chapter has been included in the Army Act 1952 by amending the Article 243.

The extension will be for maximum three years. Moreover, the appointment, re-appointment and extension of the Army Chief will not be able to be challenged in court.

According to the draft, the stipulated age for the retirement of a general will not be applicable to the Army Chief.

The Army Chief will continue to hold his post despite attaining the retirement age. Moreover, the Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee can be appointed from chiefs of the Army, Navy and Air Force and his appointment will be for three years.

The President, according to the draft, will decide the terms and condition for the CJCSC on the recommendation of the prime minister. A senior general of the Army can also be appointed as Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee.

The CJCSC can be granted extension for three years on the recommendation of the prime minister. The CJCSC appointment, re-appointment and extension will not liable to be challenged in any court.

https://92newshd.tv/president-can-e...n-pm-recommendation-army-act-amendment-draft/

there needs to be another addition in the Army Act where the Court Martials shall have jurisdiction over any and all CORRUPT judges since a corrupt judge can be a direct threat to national security.

It's limited to the additional 3 years and given the reduced political involvement of the Army since Musharraf, not exactly the same attraction as before.

Any COAS that accepts an extension will do so because he loves the job and not because he'll be doling out unconstitutional favors to the political leadership that appointed him.

We are not discussing assumptions. We are only discussing possible ways this new legislation may or could be used.

Exactly everyone has their opinion but Fact is
1 This whole thing is a political move not for the sake of Pakistan is.
2 Gov and Politicians have shown not a single shred of evidence to back this claim, Since everyone loves democracy they should have followed that heck it was PM of Pakistan who Approved by not passing it through Right Channels.
3 The Timing is off, PTI is showing this as a carrot to the chief so Army doesn't interfere in anything which can harm the people in power.
4 Judiciary tried to make a joke of the Army itself and tried to discredit the institution itself.
5 The only Reason Pakistan Army and State had remained strong is the unconditional backing of the army especially in urban Areas If they lose that. Very Soon Pakistan as the state itself won't exist.
Knowingly and unknowingly Current State Actors somehow are destroying that.
what evidence do you want? they are not going to share state secrets with you! Now if you think everything is just hunky dory than God help us!

Extensions or exemptions is a bad precedent. It is tentamount to casting doubts on the ability of other Generals. The system should not be derailed and should follow natural course. Nobody is indispensable. All such chief who got extensions didn't end up well.

So, like the Great Raheal Sharif, current COAS should step down honorably. And I am confident, the new one will be as effective as Gen. Bajwa, maybe even more.

@HRK @Signalian Does that mean Sir Asif Ghafoor also stays DG ISPR for another tenure and likewise for all other corps commanders ?

No one wants to turn a non-issue into an issue. Quite frankly, no political party should have an issue with a bill defining the appointments and extensions of services chiefs because this bill merely reflects the same processes and laws in place in other democracies, including Western ones. Every political party would like to have the option to appoint and extend the services chiefs of their own choosing.
my question remains unanswered ,what is very special in Bajwa ?,I bet you know this but don't have courage do tell , creating rifts with in a institution is not going to serve the national cause ,

But problem is This will set a trend.
As Pakistan is not in emergency or war like situation.
And how many extension have you seen in Past beside Kiyani and even that was understandable.
But this is just a politicsl favour, even if chief has good intentions behind ,this is not justifiable.
Specially with 3 Year extension.
It will block the progression in higher brass in Army.

Pakistan had never faced a situation like this in the past 2 decades. Firstly, there is a war-like situation at eastern fronts. Secondly, its not political favour because Pakistan needs stability at this point economically, and security of the country is directly linked with it ( internal and external ). And CPEC is another reason so even if you call it political favour even then it's in favour of Pakistan because the country needs political stability as well. So in my opinion, it's justifiable in every aspect.

Pakistan had never faced a situation like this in the past 2 decades.
Pakistan is a security state. It will always have situations and 2001 and 2020 are miles apart. Pakistan is way more stronger. Argument does not hold the ground realities are different.
And CPEC is another reason so even if you call it political favour even then it's in favour of Pakistan because the country needs political stability as well.
You should avoid CPEC talks with what the government has done to it so far.

We are not discussing assumptions. We are only discussing possible ways this new legislation may or could be used.
Then look at how previous extensions have worked out, both in Pakistan and other more mature democracies.

That is the only data you can look at - anything else, whether your or my views, are assumptions.

my question remains unanswered ,what is very special in Bajwa ?,I bet you know this but don't have courage do tell , creating rifts with in a institution is not going to serve the national cause ,
How is the institution going to get 'rifts'? Did the institution get 'rifts' when Kayani was given an extension?

What is the reason behind these alleged 'rifts'? Quite frankly, if there are people in the Army who have issues with the government giving an extension to Bajwa, and they're actively promoting dissent within the Army, then they need to be identified and subjected to a FCM because they are not fit to serve in the PA.

Pakistan is a security state. It will always have situations and 2001 and 2020 are miles apart. Pakistan is way more stronger. Argument does not hold the ground realities are different.

You should avoid CPEC talks with what the government has done to it so far.
It's my opinion, disagreement is your right. But what current situation desires, in my view it was needed. And CPEC is connected with it you like it or not. Maybe you know more ground realities but it's your opinion.

hen look at how previous extensions have worked out, both in Pakistan and other more mature democracies.

That is the only data you can look at - anything else, whether your or my views, are assumptions.

We are only voicing our opinions. The decision lies solely with the concerned institutions and how they implement it.

However i would like to simply ask Mr. Bajwa to not take the bait.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom