What's new

Arming India Exclusive: India Looking At 60 FGFAs As Russia Reduces Price, Final Talks On

PARIKRAMA

Reaction score
Country
India
ArmingIndia-Top.jpg

EXCLUSIVE

India Looking At 60 FGFAs As Russia Reduces Price, Final Talks On

By Arming India Correspondent

NEW DELHI, FEB. 3, 2016:
India and Russia are in final negotiations in New Delhi to settle the contributions for the development of the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) at a reported $3.7 billion from both sides, Arming India has learnt from diplomatic sources. An early conclusion of the agreement is expected.

Development costs are to be paid in seven years, starting with an initial payment of $1 billion. The breakthrough follows a price reduction by Russia last month.

India's contribution for development costs would entitle it to extensive transfer of technology and include delivery of three prototypes. Subsequently, the entire lot of FGFAs for the Indian Air Force (IAF) are intended to be made at Hindustan Aeronautics Limited's 'Russia complex' in Nasik, Maharashtra.

The cost of each series production FGFA is initially pegged at a $225 million apiece, which is about two-and-a-half times the estimated current price of the Su-30MKI, currently India's frontline fighter.
(thats flyaway i guess without the rest of stuff)

Sources disclosed that a reluctant IAF has finally been made to come around on the FGFA. But it has reduced its requirement to just 60 fighters, or three squadrons. This is being interpreted as a lack of enthusiasm for the proposed fighter, which is yet to prove true fifth generation capability.

The initial numbers were pegged around 220, which were later brought down to 120, and now have dwindled to half of even the reduced numbers.

Indeed, the Russian Air Force itself has committed itself to just 12 of these proposed aircraft, known in Russia as PAK-FA. These 12 aircraft will comprise a trial squadron.

But Russia is hopeful of persuading India to eventually commit to far more than the initial lot of 60 FGFAs.

India will have no major contribution to design and development, and the project is being re-modeled on the Su-30MKI lines, wherein India substantially paid for the development cost, paving the way for assembly line production in India under transfer of technology.

The initial concept of India having a substantial work share in the design and development of the fifth generation fighter in order to boost indigenous capability has been abandoned.

The rapid headway on the under-development FGFA is in stark contrast to the stalemate in price negotiations on the curtailed order for 36 flyaway French Rafale fighters, which are reportedly stalled at a level of over $11 billion, according to top Indian Defense Ministry sources.

The FGFA will very significantly enable Russia's military industrial complex to extend its pre-eminence in India by ensuring a follow-on to the Su-30MKI production line.

Informed observers see this as a shot in the arm for the Russia, which they reckon could impact immediately on French and American interests. A renewal of commitment to Russian aircraft will limit the number of Rafale fighters for India, and also reduce the possibility for Americans to sell a fighter aircraft to India.

Boeing Company Chairman James McNerney in October 2015 announcing in New Delhi that his company was ready to set up a manufacturing facility for its F/A-18 fighters, which also have a naval variant, in India.

Lockheed Martin leadership too had in the second half of 2015 made a pitch for selling its F-16 fighters to India, while Swedish Saab made a counter offer to make its Gripen NG fighters.

The two American aircraft manufacturers and the Swedish firm were competitors in the 2007 Indian tender for 126 medium multi role combat aircraft, which was won by French Dassault Aviation's Rafale fighters. The only close competitor to Rafale was the then Cassidian's Eurofighter Typhoon, which is part of the Airbus Group. Only Eurofighter Typhoon campaign, led by the Germans, has openly stated that it is all over for it in India for the Air Force's need for a combat plane.

Significantly, the latest development in the FGFA talks between Russia and India also signals that the public sector Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will continue to be Russia's major partner in India, and its engagement with emerging Indian private sector in defense production will be marginal.

Just a month ago, Russia rejected the possibility of trying out an alliance with the private sector Reliance Defence on the production of 200 Ka-226T light utility helicopters for the Indian armed forces by opting for HAL to be the production agency in India.

http://armingindia.com/India Looking At 60 FGFAs As Russia Reduces Price, Final Talks On.htm

@Abingdonboy @anant_s @MilSpec @dadeechi @cerberus @Ind4Ever @Vauban @Taygibay

You remember just few days back (less than a week) i said India will use FGFA as a pressure tactic.
Strangely if what article says true than what exactly are we doing here?

Is that a clear indication that we are looking at Rafales in bigger numbers owing to reducing the FGFA numbers and finally we may pool the learnings of FGFA and Rafale in our domestic program AMCA and use that as a credible option in next 2 decades?

This matter makes me feel a bit odd. If 60 is the number with FGFA Stage 2 actual 5th gen engine, this is a massive climbdown.

Then whats the number we are going to have and what are we going to do for other jets in our fleet?

Or we are moving away from quantity to a limited quality fleet with pure self defense aspect and will increase so much economic clout and trade that threat perception from multiple avenues will come down permanently?

ArmingIndia-Top.jpg

EXCLUSIVE

India Looking At 60 FGFAs As Russia Reduces Price, Final Talks On

By Arming India Correspondent

NEW DELHI, FEB. 3, 2016:
India and Russia are in final negotiations in New Delhi to settle the contributions for the development of the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) at a reported $3.7 billion from both sides, Arming India has learnt from diplomatic sources. An early conclusion of the agreement is expected.

Development costs are to be paid in seven years, starting with an initial payment of $1 billion. The breakthrough follows a price reduction by Russia last month.

India's contribution for development costs would entitle it to extensive transfer of technology and include delivery of three prototypes. Subsequently, the entire lot of FGFAs for the Indian Air Force (IAF) are intended to be made at Hindustan Aeronautics Limited's 'Russia complex' in Nasik, Maharashtra.

The cost of each series production FGFA is initially pegged at a $225 million apiece, which is about two-and-a-half times the estimated current price of the Su-30MKI, currently India's frontline fighter.
(thats flyaway i guess without the rest of stuff)

Sources disclosed that a reluctant IAF has finally been made to come around on the FGFA. But it has reduced its requirement to just 60 fighters, or three squadrons. This is being interpreted as a lack of enthusiasm for the proposed fighter, which is yet to prove true fifth generation capability.

The initial numbers were pegged around 220, which were later brought down to 120, and now have dwindled to half of even the reduced numbers.

Indeed, the Russian Air Force itself has committed itself to just 12 of these proposed aircraft, known in Russia as PAK-FA. These 12 aircraft will comprise a trial squadron.

But Russia is hopeful of persuading India to eventually commit to far more than the initial lot of 60 FGFAs.

India will have no major contribution to design and development, and the project is being re-modeled on the Su-30MKI lines, wherein India substantially paid for the development cost, paving the way for assembly line production in India under transfer of technology.

The initial concept of India having a substantial work share in the design and development of the fifth generation fighter in order to boost indigenous capability has been abandoned.

The rapid headway on the under-development FGFA is in stark contrast to the stalemate in price negotiations on the curtailed order for 36 flyaway French Rafale fighters, which are reportedly stalled at a level of over $11 billion, according to top Indian Defense Ministry sources.

The FGFA will very significantly enable Russia's military industrial complex to extend its pre-eminence in India by ensuring a follow-on to the Su-30MKI production line.

Informed observers see this as a shot in the arm for the Russia, which they reckon could impact immediately on French and American interests. A renewal of commitment to Russian aircraft will limit the number of Rafale fighters for India, and also reduce the possibility for Americans to sell a fighter aircraft to India.

Boeing Company Chairman James McNerney in October 2015 announcing in New Delhi that his company was ready to set up a manufacturing facility for its F/A-18 fighters, which also have a naval variant, in India.

Lockheed Martin leadership too had in the second half of 2015 made a pitch for selling its F-16 fighters to India, while Swedish Saab made a counter offer to make its Gripen NG fighters.

The two American aircraft manufacturers and the Swedish firm were competitors in the 2007 Indian tender for 126 medium multi role combat aircraft, which was won by French Dassault Aviation's Rafale fighters. The only close competitor to Rafale was the then Cassidian's Eurofighter Typhoon, which is part of the Airbus Group. Only Eurofighter Typhoon campaign, led by the Germans, has openly stated that it is all over for it in India for the Air Force's need for a combat plane.

Significantly, the latest development in the FGFA talks between Russia and India also signals that the public sector Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will continue to be Russia's major partner in India, and its engagement with emerging Indian private sector in defense production will be marginal.

Just a month ago, Russia rejected the possibility of trying out an alliance with the private sector Reliance Defence on the production of 200 Ka-226T light utility helicopters for the Indian armed forces by opting for HAL to be the production agency in India.

http://armingindia.com/India Looking At 60 FGFAs As Russia Reduces Price, Final Talks On.htm

@Abingdonboy @anant_s @MilSpec @dadeechi @cerberus @Ind4Ever @Vauban @Taygibay

You remember just few days back (less than a week) i said India will use FGFA as a pressure tactic.

Is that a clear indication that we are looking at Rafales in bigger numbers owing to reducing the FGFA numbers and finally we may pool the learnings of FGFA and Rafale in our domestic program AMCA and use that as a credible option in next 2 decades?

This matter makes me feel a bit odd. If 60 is the number with FGFA Stage 2 actual 5th gen engine, this is a massive climbdown.

Then whats the number we are going to have and what are we going to do for other jets in our fleet?

Or we are moving away from quantity to a limited quality fleet with pure self defense aspect and will increase so much economic clout and trade that threat perception from multiple avenues will come down permanently?

Rafale deal ne tujhe pagal banadiya hei :)
Pls take no offence pls, its pun intended @PARIKRAMA

Last edited:

I know :lol: , but on a serious note :) , this is just too much happening right now. IMHO lets just get over Rafale first and theen we will see FGFA. Although I feel 60 FGFA and 36 Rafale has made it complicated but I will sit back and wait till Rafale takes shape. This looks more like a long term perspective plan.

I know :lol: , but on a serious note :) , this is just too much happening right now. IMHO lets just get over Rafale first and theen we will see FGFA. Although I feel 60 FGFA and 36 Rafale has made it complicated but I will sit back and wait till Rafale takes shape. This looks more like a long term perspective plan.

True.. even i am scratching my head trying to figure out what we are really doing here...

btw in that rafale thread about revealed:$4Bn... i posted "the week" article out.. its in line with what i had said before
https://defence.pk/threads/revealed-4-bn-is-holding-up-the-rafale-deal.419452/page-15

Let me tag you from there

The problem lies in the projected capabilities of the FGFA, including maintenance and spares. “We are not in favor of the FGFA,” an Indian air force official told the Indian Express. “The PAK FA fighter is too expensive at even this rate, and we are not sure of its capabilities.”

There is also a lack of genuine co-development work on the PAK-FA, which it has invested in heavily. Moreover, the IAF is concerned about the jet’s stealth capabilities, avionics and engines—the current NPO Saturn AL-41F1 engines are not adequate to power the fifth-generation warplane. But the straw that has apparently broke the camel’s back is that Russia has curtailed its PAK-FA buy, which New Delhi views as a signal that the Moscow itself doesn’t have faith in the T-50.

Indeed, the Russian air force is only planning to buy about a dozen PAK-FAs until the more powerful izdeliye 30 engines are developed. Instead of buying PAK-FA, Russia is planning to continue production of advanced Su-30 and Su-35 Flanker variants.

In addition, the talks between India and Russia failed to conclude a deal so far for the purchase of the S-400 surface-to-air missile system as Russia is thought to have linked that potential purchase to the PAK-FA deal. Blackmail?

interestingly SJha tweeted a strange tweet too

Fifth gen fighters would be always expensive ,very expensive .
Our AMCA that is under development is also a twin engine ,supercruise,stealth aircraft .Similar to that F 22 .F22 has now around 350 million + $ price tag .
In India due to HR it would be around 200 or 220 million $ .
But we are talking about a 2030 .So our economy can handle that .

On topic : Nice move I would say.
And equal play field for both France and Russia .
And it should be our AMCA that is the ultimate winner .
So if the news is correct ,then Americans can say bye bye to fighter segments .
But US still have a good deal around the corner .Supplying of the engines for our AMCA until we get our own indigenous engine.

The problem lies in the projected capabilities of the FGFA, including maintenance and spares. “We are not in favor of the FGFA,” an Indian air force official told the Indian Express. “The PAK FA fighter is too expensive at even this rate, and we are not sure of its capabilities.”

There is also a lack of genuine co-development work on the PAK-FA, which it has invested in heavily. Moreover, the IAF is concerned about the jet’s stealth capabilities, avionics and engines—the current NPO Saturn AL-41F1 engines are not adequate to power the fifth-generation warplane. But the straw that has apparently broke the camel’s back is that Russia has curtailed its PAK-FA buy, which New Delhi views as a signal that the Moscow itself doesn’t have faith in the T-50.

Indeed, the Russian air force is only planning to buy about a dozen PAK-FAs until the more powerful izdeliye 30 engines are developed. Instead of buying PAK-FA, Russia is planning to continue production of advanced Su-30 and Su-35 Flanker variants.

In addition, the talks between India and Russia failed to conclude a deal so far for the purchase of the S-400 surface-to-air missile system as Russia is thought to have linked that potential purchase to the PAK-FA deal. Blackmail?

Face the reality .
HAL and India dont have anything to contribute to fifth gen plane.
Su MKI type deal would be the only possibility.

Check out my posts from NOvember, before the Modi visit. What I had heard was, we will be buying out the extra inventory. ANd the number was also spot on. 60.

If this happens, its boom boom!

Check out my posts from NOvember, before the Modi visit. What I had heard was, we will be buying out the extra inventory. ANd the number was also spot on. 60.

If this happens, its boom boom!

Thats the main issue.. if its PAKFA Stage 1 which was planned for about 72 or more jets and Russia taking 12 and India taking 60 then i can understand. Unfortunately article says its FGFA meaning derived from PAKFA Stage 2 with the new engine

thus its not extra inventory but rather capping the program due to some issues which we are not comfortable with and yet we want to appease Russian side and get our hands on whatever we can in tech part.

The worst part will be that its again going to be a CKD kit based assembly. If we see MKI our localisation increased much more beyond first 80-100 jets that we made in India. With 60 the aspect of localisation itself is very very limited. TBH this does nt sound very convincing to me about our confidence level on the product.

Thats the main issue.. if its PAKFA Stage 1 which was planned for about 72 or more jets and Russia taking 12 and India taking 60 then i can understand. Unfortunately article says its FGFA meaning derived from PAKFA Stage 2 with the new engine

thus its not extra inventory but rather capping the program due to some issues which we are not comfortable with and yet we want to appease Russian side and get our hands on whatever we can in tech part.

The worst part will be that its again going to be a CKD kit based assembly. If we see MKI our localisation increased much more beyond first 80-100 jets that we made in India. With 60 the aspect of localisation itself is very very limited. TBH this does nt sound very convincing to me about our confidence level on the product.

The IAF wants the Rafale lot cleared first. The WHOLE lot. And I would prefer waiting before reading into the 'interpretation' of these journos.

The report is right in that we have no contribution to the PakFa project. We are concerned with the derivative FGFA. Hence, I will take the 60 number as a confusion on part of the report regarding the order. Let's wait and see.

The IAF wants the Rafale lot cleared first. The WHOLE lot. And I would prefer waiting before reading into the 'interpretation' of these journos.

The report is right in that we have no contribution to the PakFa project. We are concerned with the derivative FGFA. Hence, I will take the 60 number as a confusion on part of the report regarding the order. Let's wait and see.

Very true.. ya we have to wait now to make head and tail whats going on here really..

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom