What's new

Arjun News & Discussions

Arjun tanks' comparative trials with T-90s this summer .

Arjun tanks' comparative trials with T-90s this summer

New Delhi, Jan 16 (PTI) Army and DRDO will jointly carry out comparative trials of indigenous 'Arjun' tanks with Russian-made T-90s this June, increasing prospects of the former's induction in the force soon.
The trials would pave the way for the army to finally accept Arjun tanks for induction, over 36 years after the project was commissioned by the government, defence ministry sources told PTI here today.

"The comparative trials of Arjun tanks with the Russian-made T-90s would take place this summer in June, before the army gets to induct the indigenously developed tanks," a defence ministry source said.

These trials will come exactly a year after the summer trials of Arjun tanks in the Rajasthan deserts had "failed", compelling Minister of State for Defence Production Rao Inderjit Singh to suspect "sabotage" to be behind the tanks performing below expectations during the trials.

The trial in June, sources said, would be the first of the series under which the army and the DRDO would test and compare technologies and capabilities of the two tanks.

"During the summer trials of the two tanks in June, they will be subjected to various other comparative tests in the following months and it is likely to be completed by June 2010," the source said.

After the trials, the army and the DRDO would carry out a detailed analysis of the tests to determine which of the two tanks was better, sources said. PTI

this can led to the further contradiction if they found arjun is better.:enjoy:

I think this whole exercise is going on to take the things to logical conclusion. Hope the things move in right direction.

India has already placed orders for Russian MBT , No idea why they are doing this...

actually the Arjun may just see induction in different form in 2015 and beyond years as the evolution of technology and tank design proceeds. Its already greatly improved since 2005. Before that it was a piece of junk at best .........

actually the Arjun may just see induction in different form in 2015 and beyond years as the evolution of technology and tank design proceeds. Its already greatly improved since 2005. Before that it was a piece of junk at best .........

don't forget to mention the huge improvement made after its first public demo in 1984. you know, in just 25 years, the improvement is very impressive - I mean it is just amazing to have a project running for 30 years and nothing get ready for active service.

spirit of india.

I think the whole problem is not because of the population/engineers/scientists of India, they are same as all other people from all other countries, I think the problem is in the regime of India who tries to use this project to gain control of the country and spread nationalism.

look at our J-9 project in 1970s and early 1980s, we started working on it in 1975 and after 8 years of hard working, we honestly admitted that it was a failure and a backward design like that won't make any great fighters for the next 1-2 decades. We moved on, started working on the J-10 which is based on the experience learnt during the J-9 project. Look at the layout, very similar, but J-9 is just a failure. The Chinese government knows the failure of a project is far better than running a failed project for decades, money can be better spent on other things like education.

Now we already have the J-10 in active service since 2003, that is 6 years ago. we have already moved on to another higher stage and working on other projects. tell me what arjun has contributed to India's 1 billion population? just plain nationalism.

same story can be said for the MBT development. Our MBTs used in the war with Vietnam was a piece of ****, got almost half destroyed during that war, however we admitted the problem, stop production/spending on such crap and now we have Type-96/Type-99 in active service and the largely improved Type99A2 is going to be shown to the public in Oct. and enter service soon.

nationalism gets you no where, honestly admit your failures, stop wasting lives on failed projects like arjun and LCA, learn more from US/Russia/EU/China, get yourself moved into modern era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chengdu_J-9

here I feel proud for the failed J-9 project, I feel proud for the honesty of our decision makers and engineers, they didn't sit there wasting tax money for decades on a failed project. mostly importantly, they contributed a fighter than can directly hit New Delhi in minutes.

I think the whole problem is not because of the population/engineers/scientists of India, they are same as all other people from all other countries, I think the problem is in the regime of India who tries to use this project to gain control of the country and spread nationalism.

look at our J-9 project in 1970s and early 1980s, we started working on it in 1975 and after 8 years of hard working, we honestly admitted that it was a failure and a backward design like that won't make any great fighters for the next 1-2 decades. We moved on, started working on the J-10 which is based on the experience learnt during the J-9 project. Look at the layout, very similar, but J-9 is just a failure. The Chinese government knows the failure of a project is far better than running a failed project for decades, money can be better spent on other things like education.

Now we already have the J-10 in active service since 2003, that is 6 years ago. we have already moved on to another higher stage and working on other projects. tell me what arjun has contributed to India's 1 billion population? just plain nationalism.

same story can be said for the MBT development. Our MBTs used in the war with Vietnam was a piece of ****, got almost half destroyed during that war, however we admitted the problem, stop production/spending on such crap and now we have Type-96/Type-99 in active service and the largely improved Type99A2 is going to be shown to the public in Oct. and enter service soon.

nationalism gets you no where, honestly admit your failures, stop wasting lives on failed projects like arjun and LCA, learn more from US/Russia/EU/China, get yourself moved into modern era.

Chengdu J-9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

here I feel proud for the failed J-9 project, I feel proud for the honesty of our decision makers and engineers, they didn't sit there wasting tax money for decades on a failed project. mostly importantly, they contributed a fighter than can directly hit New Delhi in minutes.

So you don't think Indian engineers learn from their mistakes? What's your point? The Arjun and the LCA are taking so long because their developers are correcting their mistakes. Btw, LCA is not the first Indian designed jet, look up the HAL Marut. It wasn't useful, but heck, it was a start.

So you don't think Indian engineers learn from their mistakes? What's your point? The Arjun and the LCA are taking so long because their developers are correcting their mistakes. Btw, LCA is not the first Indian designed jet, look up the HAL Marut. It wasn't useful, but heck, it was a start.

their developers are going to die in another 30 yrs....
Let's wait and see...:smitten:

Chengdu J-9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know where the hell this failed J-9 and copied J-10 came in the arjun discussion.:devil:

excuse me,is the project of Arjun still going on?
I heard that the project now is aborted .

excuse me,is the project of Arjun still going on?
I heard that the project now is aborted .

Either read previous posts on this thread or search on web.
The project is going on full fledge and recently it was decided to conduct Arjun v/s T-90 trials.

India boosts arms modernisation after Mumbai - International Herald Tribune

India is speeding a nearly $1 billion (704 million pounds) domestic weapons development programme to modernise its armed forces, the defence research department said on Thursday, following renewed tensions with Pakistan over the attacks in Mumbai.

The plans include inducting 124 main battle tanks for the Indian army by December, the first of a batch of locally-made combat aircraft for the navy also by the end of the year, and unmaned aerial vehicles to boost border surveillance.

"There is a certain push now to complete projects on time and deliver the goods for low intensity battles or to counter bigger security threats in the region," Suranjan Pal, a spokesman of the government-run Defence Research and Development Organisation, said.

Tensions between India and Pakistan mounted after the attacks in Mumbai in November, which New Delhi said were carried out by Pakistani nationals and must have had support from Pakistani state agencies.

Since the Mumbai attacks, local media has highlighted the many antiquated weapons system that India has, from artillery to tanks, and poor surveillance capabilities.

"India's military capability had been shrinking as modernisation efforts were moving very slowly, but now there is more interest being shown," C. Uday Bhaskar, a strategic affairs expert, said.

The modernisation plans include developing the Agni-5 missile, capable of carrying a nuclear warhead and hitting targets 5,000 km (3,100 miles) away, and torpedoes and planes for the navy.

India is also one of the world's biggest arms importers, but government officials and experts said the priority was to boost indigenous capacity and reduce reliance on foreign suppliers.

"Foreign countries are generally not interested in sharing critical technology with us, so we are pushing more for indigenous development," Pal said.

The DRDO has often been criticised in the past by experts for delays on key projects, including the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) and an Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AWACS).

The naval version of the LCA will enter service in December this year (VDM) while the air force will get 20 planes next year. The aircraft is a supersonic, all-weather fighter which has been under development for more than two decades.

Back
Top Bottom