What's new

Arjun News & Discussions

Would you mind sharing more about it???...Also please go easy on Caps...

Raj that is not required right now,but will discuss it properly when required..rite now i would appreciate if any member comes up with specs of al khalid and some detailed info on it,i want to know more about Al khalid..
kindly help

Arjun can be used for offensive role....BUT you simply cannot send a tank for an offensive operation because it better,infrastructure to support the tank is also required like tactical bridges,and logistical support required for sustaining a operation..delays to this project has done some damage but it has also given us something..
Main proble higligted by he army has been logistics which will now be over come by MULTI YEAR purchasing of Arjun tank..i would blame the DGMF for not making it happen as they clearly missed this point(this shows they never expected arjun to make it they were in denial mode)every year unspent money is returned back to finance ministry if they would been logical and would have taken keen interest in desi beast major chunk of problem regarding to offensive role of arju would have not existed kher....better late then never:cheers:

Exactly.. what i meant. I will never say arjun is not good enough for offensive roles but only at the moment. Thats why I said the era has just begun.

With reactive armour protection system and ATGMs it will really be a monster for the foe.

Arjun is designed as a field tank, because India is not half industrialized, meaning it doesn't drive on roads, thus it needs significantly more power.

What matters is P/W ratio for tank-
Arjun has 25
Type 96 China - Your country's MBT has 21
T90 has 23
Canada used Leopard - P/W ratio 21 in Afghanistan war

All are Field tanks , by your logic T90 is also a crap.
You only claimed Arjun is crap.

The Abrams aims at metro warfare; it drives on cement roads

You mean to say in IRAQ war they build new Roads for warfare ,
i can see tanks operating in only desert there.
Your logic is flawed - typical chinese troller nothing new.

Now, the leopard is not a road tank. It is named so because of its supreme engine at the time (1.5khp over 3 decades ago). And didn't you know? Current Arjuns are powered by 1.4khp engines. The 1.5 ones are still in research.

Even today P/W ratio of Leopard2 is still 24 and Weight is 62.3
Arjuns weight is 58.5 ton
and as you said its not a road tank.
By your logic this is also a crap since its underpowered . I see canada using same Tanks in Afghan war

Moreover, field tanks often drive slower, due to the pressure on the engines when acceleration is required to ride over inclined planes, thus, a lower average speed is achieved because the gaschargers need to cool.

And you only knew abt these things .
DRDO and Indian Army + Whole world is dumb .
Only Chinese are smart hhhhhhhhhh.

I had enough of your B.S . No more discussion is possible with a mindless fellow like you.
Your sole aim is to earn Money - 50 Cents .
I don't have such luxury

Last edited:
What matters is P/W ratio for tank-
Arjun has 25
Type 96 China - Your country's MBT has 21
T90 has 23
Canada used Leopard - P/W ratio 21 in Afghanistan war

All are Field tanks , by your logic T90 is also a crap.
You only claimed Arjun is crap.

You mean to say in IRAQ war they build new Roads for warfare ,
i can see tanks operating in only desert there.
Your logic is flawed - typical chinese troller nothing new.

Even today P/W ratio of Leopard2 is still 24 and Weight is 62.3
Arjuns weight is 58.5 ton
and as you said its not a road tank.
By your logic this is also a crap since its underpowered . I see canada using same Tanks in Afghan war

And you only knew abt these things .
DRDO and Indian Army + Whole world is dumb .
Only Chinese are smart hhhhhhhhhh.

I had enough of your B.S . No more discussion is possible with a mindless fellow like you.
Your sole aim is to earn Money - 50 Cents .
I don't have such luxury

Laftaan saab leave him alone he is just earning his bred and butter 50 cent estyle:smokin::angel:

This year we witnessed a series of successes , ARJUN wooing ARMY s surely in the top ranks of the list...

looks like TANK-EX's chances of being inducted is pretty grim because next logical step is ARJUN-2..

comments awaited..

Good news indeed.

I salute the diligent scientists of DRDO as their determination and never-say-die attitude finally helped them sail through all the Arjun bashing and they have done it with flying colors.

No doubt Arjun is a killing machine.

However, work should immediately be begun on next version and efforts should be made in the direction of involving private industries in tasks like engine development.

Also, if indian army wants to take full advantage of arjun's potential, I think a second assembly line needs to be set up to speed up the induction process.

Y Indian army is procuring Arjun tanks, Arjun is a failed project. This will take the Army men's life on risk.

India should learn to develop tanks like Pakistan developed ....take the example of Al-Khalid I and now Al_khalid II......

These are killing machines ........

looks like TANK-EX's chances of being inducted is pretty grim because next logical step is ARJUN-2..

comments awaited..

I feel Tank-ex was just DRDO's possible upgrade/replacement for T-72 in indian army.

Indian army was and, in fact, is deeply worried with the sheer number of T-72 tanks, which suffer from crippling disadvantages varying from night blindness to inefficient armour. In fact, T-90's hurried induction was result of these shortcomings.

However, with army already going ahead with T-72 upgrade, Tank-ex maturing from prototype to functioning model is not a possibility.

Y Indian army is procuring Arjun tanks, Arjun is a failed project. This will take the Army men's life on risk.

India should learn to develop tanks like Pakistan developed ....take the example of Al-Khalid I and now Al_khalid II......

That's IA's problem. It will make easier for you to fight us you see.

According to your reasons, You as a pakistaani should be happy that Arjun is inducted into Indian army.....
Indian army have its plans, there should be some good reasons to get the arjuns...

Lets see in the future wheather the Arjuns are a failure or not in a war (I hope war doesn't happen though).

oh really that means the ukranian T80U which u call as al khalid 1 and its upgraded part as al khalid 2
we have been doing dat since we had t55's then t72's n now t90's..and by the way arjun is an indigenous product..nw u guys will jump out arguing that tracks came from germany or LAHAT is israeli...but thats the thing indigenous means designed n developed at home..n there is no product in this world that is completely manufactured at home..even ur jf 17 engines comes from russia which u claim as indigenous..:flame:

IA want to provide soft target to Al-Khalid, You are as naive as I'm :D :woot:

It is a killing machine, but the only problem is It kills its own crew, We dont need a machine like that sorry...

And If Arjun has Outgunned T-90 in all the field trials, Then Iam sorry We dont need to prove you how much of a world class Product Should it be... And yes If you think Arjun is a soft target for You, Let it be, good for you:agree:

oh really that means the ukranian T80U which u call as al khalid 1 and its upgraded part as al khalid 2
we have been doing dat since we had t55's then t72's n now t90's..and by the way arjun is an indigenous product..nw u guys will jump out arguing that tracks came from germany or LAHAT is israeli...but thats the thing indigenous means designed n developed at home..n there is no product in this world that is completely manufactured at home..even ur jf 17 engines comes from russia which u claim as indigenous..:flame:

Ukrainian T-80U isnt AK1, AK1 is marketed by NORINCO, a Chinese firm as MBT 2000, it is Type 90-IIM which shares 10% of its components with the Type 59, 15% with Type 69, 20% with Type 85/88C, and is built with 55% new components. It incorporates design elements of T-72 (which developed into Type-80/85 tanks) and some western tanks. Ironically, Type 90 was rejected for Chinese service in favour of other designs.

The T-80 is from the Kharkiv Morozov Machine Building Design Bureau KMDB, introducing a gas turbine engine in the original model, and incorporating suspension components of the T-72.

The T-80 is based on the T-64, which was a competing design at the time the T-72 was produced. The T-64 was Morozov's offering, and was initially intended to be the Soviet Union's primary MBT, while the T-72 was intended to be mainly produced for export partners and east-bloc satellite states. The T-72 is mechanically simpler and easier to service in the field, while it is not as well protected, and the manufacturing process is correspondingly simpler.

This was enough of an advantage in the long term for the Soviet Union that the tank most produced was the T-72; obviously it better fit the Soviet ideal of quantity over quality; while the T-64 was the superior tank, it was more expensive and physically complex, and as such was not produced as much, and was never exported.

The T-64's story continues in the T-80. Morozov extrapolated on the design, including a gas turbine engine. This gave the tank a stunning power-to-weight ratio and made it easily the most mobile tank in the world (where it remains today, according to most experts). This is because while there are other tanks which boast similar power (the M1 series has a 1500-hp gas turbine as well, while it weighs in at a whopping 70 tons), the Soviet tanks are almost half the size and weight (hence the similarity in their looks; it's the national tank design ethic, pan shaped turrets, sharp hull fronts and low profiles).

It might be said the Russians are "desperate" to find export partners for it, which is not true; the Ukrainians are (Morozov is at KharkovKharkov ( rus: ) or Kharkiv ( ukr: і) is the second largest city in Ukraine, a center of Kharkivs'ka oblast'. It is situated in the northeast of the country and has a population of two million. It is one of the main industrial, cultural and educatio, in Ukraine. In the Soviet era, it was in the USSR, but is now a Ukrainian factory). They have been moderately successful, selling units of two types to Pakistan, while the Russians are "desperate" to sell the T-90, at which they have also been to some degree successful, selling units to India.

The T-80's disadvantages are in the small size of the tank (about 1/2 to 3/4 that of the M1, depending on the aspect). The crew quarters are cramped and difficult to work in. Except in more modern versions like Oplot and Black Eagle, the ammunition is stored below the crew inside the crew compartment in the autoloader carousel, which means that when the tank is penetrated, the ammo cooks off, killing the crew and blowing the turret into the air. Due to the small turret, it is impossible to depress (negative elevation) the gun more than a few degrees when the tank is in defilade, and so the tank has a hard time firing from hull-down positions, though in newer versions like Oplot and Black Eagle, this is mitigated as well with entirely new turrets.

These disadvantages are endemic to Soviet tank design; nearly all Soviet tanks have them, which is to say that the only additional disadvantage to the T-80 series might be its mechanical complexity. While that was an issue in the days of the T-64's usurpation by the T-72, it is less so today, except as concerns potential third-world export partners. In any case, most such customers cannot afford T-80s, and the most recent (and even more expensive) prototypes have solved all of these problems and in many ways are similar to current Western offerings, excepting that they are considerably smaller.

It is very similar to the T-72, The T-72 a Soviet main battle tank entered production in 1971. It is a parallel design with the T-64. The T-72 design has been further developed as the T-90. Production History The T-72 was the main front-line tank used by the Red Army from 1970s to the c and T-64 in appearance. The T-80 is highly maneuverable and mobile, often referred to as the "flying tank". Current versions of the T-80 are comparable to the newest Western offerings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom