What's new

Arjun-II MBT development l Updates & discussion.

Arjunk is not even ready. Kind of weird they are making an update for a tank that is not even ready.
Welcome back to this world from coma... Guys please be kind enough to understand this guy... he is just out of coma.....

Thats why i said pics can bring hypothesis .. see in this ivew

DSC08586-719772.JPG

DSC08579-728474.JPG

It is clearly residing away from the block you assumed without disrupting the LOS...

Credits: Shiv arror

thanks for a better view, nothing is changed still

DSC08586-719772.JPG

Arjun MK II main battle tank unveiled by Defense Research & Development Organisation of India.
The Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) of India unveils the latest generation of its local-made main battle tank, Arjun MK II at Defexpo 2014, defense exhibition in New Delhi, India. The state-of-the-art ARJUN Main Battle Tank Mk II has been designed and developed by DRDO by incorporating numerous improvements over and above the ARJUN MBT Mk I which is already in service with the Indian Army.
Arjun_MK_II_main_battle_tank_DRDO_India_Indian_defense_industry_military_technology_640_001.jpg
It is endowed with superior fire power, high mobility and excellent protection characteristics required to fulfill the challenging battlefield requirements of the 2I Th. century. ARJUN MBT Mk II manifests the latest battle tank technologies that makes it a distinct front-runner amongst the array of contemporary Main Battle Tanks of modern armies the world over.

The superior armour defeating prowess of the ARJUN MBT Mk II gives it an edge over contemporary battle tanks of the world. A computer controlled Integrated Fire Control System incorporating day-cum-night stabilized sighting system guarantees a very high first round hit probability and reduced reaction time to bring effective fire on targets.

The main armament of the Arjun MK II is a 120mm rifled gun. The Arjun MK II carries a total of 39 rounds. Secondary armament consists of 7.62-mm MAG coaxial machine gun and a roof-mounted remotely controlled weapon station, armed with a 12.7 mm caliber NSVT heavy machine gun.

The all-round protection has been enhanced with improved KANCHAN armour. ARJUN MBT Mk-ll affords a higher degree of protection amongst the present generation of battle tanks. Protection was improved by adding locally-developed explosive reactive armor modules.

kanchan composite armour is old 80s tech mate, it maybe good against small apfsds shells available to IA, not against enemy shells.

i have said so many lines on the obselescense of rifled gun in todays warfare environment that its no fun anymore. Ask Brits why they could not made something more than an average CHARM DU shell to work with their rifled L11s and L20s and they will say it was a mistake to go with rifled tech when the world switched to smooth bores.

Indian Army has messed things for themselves by sticking with rifled guns, they make it on their own but have a tiny apfsds to fire from it, till they come up with something better to fire from it, good luck to them.

Before you jump to mighty LAHAT, its basically a HEAT round made to be fired from 105 L7 series, up gunned to for Arjun;s 120 mm L11 based tech, HEAT round is not effective against composite layers or ERAs.

Bottomline,

instead of quoting word to word posts from Aroors or other forums, try to bring something on your own.

I have nothing against IA or Arjun, in fact, Arjun is a good initiative in the right direction but it has so many issues that have been either ignored or overlooked intentionally that i feel sorry about. The worst of them is the gun+ammo issue.

Last edited:
weak spots again, notice the front LAHAT sight cover that i suspected form the beginning, its NOT composite plating, just a thin cover...

Hi, appreciate you giving feedback about Arjun. I guess it is good to have external view. But don't you think DRDO would have thought about those obvious things? There would be weakness but may be those are unavoidable compromise?

thanks for a better view, nothing is changed still

View attachment 16369

kanchan composite armour is old 80s tech mate, it maybe good against small apfsds shells available to IA, not against enemy shells.

how do you know that ...? the brochure from defence expo 2014 says it as improved kanchan Armour .! BTW this is from an old drdo file honestly i don't know what to make of this but im pretty sure kanchan has been improved since then .

kanchan.jpg

def expo brochure .
DlKvOfH.jpg

2013 source.
arjun_nera.jpg

Last edited:
Before you jump to mighty LAHAT, its basically a HEAT round made to be fired from 105 L7 series, up gunned to for Arjun;s 120 mm L11 based tech, HEAT round is not effective against composite layers or ERAs.

If i m not wrong then LAHAT can be fired in Top Down mode as well...

how do you know that ...? the brochure from defence expo 2014 says it as improved kanchan Armour .! BTW this is from an old drdo file honestly i don't know what to make of this but im pretty sure kanchan has been improved since then .

kanchan.jpg

def expo brochure .
DlKvOfH.jpg

2013 source.
arjun_nera.jpg

its logical to think that kanchan must have seen two or even three cycles of improvement by now. Its good development IMO. Not only IA must put it in Arjun but must also do it to their t-90s, the t-72B level composite armour that was exported by Russians was mediocre export only model which may not be of good use in modern battlefield. Russians are clever businessmen known to export inferior stuff, better put kanchan in t-90s too.

Whats more important is DRDO to address the minor (one side protection, other side vacant) issue and get rid of rifled gun that is restricting Arjun's true potential.

No matter how well protected your tank is, if it cant fire decent penetrators, its useless in the battlefield.

T-90 Bhishma already has Kanchan armor.

how many of them, entire fleet? i heard they tested it on a few but yet to do so on all fleet?

If i m not wrong then LAHAT can be fired in Top Down mode as well...

yes it can, so does NAG and tow-2b and new BS model

Last edited:
how many of them, entire fleet? i heard they tested it on a few but yet to do so on all fleet?

The induction of the T-90M Bhishma started back in 2009, so its been 4 years. I presume by now they must have most of the T90s with Kanchan armor.

The induction of the T-90M Bhishma started back in 2009, so its been 4 years. I presume by now they must have most of the T90s with Kanchan armor.

they started replacing old composites with kachan in early S variants back in 2012, never heard anything about M though.

yes it can, so does NAG and tow-2b and new BS model

1. My post was in reference to ur argument that HEAT missile like LAHAT is ineffective against composite armour n ERA. But in top down mode even HEAT is every effective.

2. Neither NAG nor Tow2b can be fired from a tank's barrel, so they r not comparable to LAHAT.

3. LAHAT with a range of 8km is definitely a very effective n deadly weapon.

1. My post was in reference to ur argument that HEAT missile like LAHAT is ineffective against composite armour n ERA. But in top down mode even HEAT is every effective.

2. Neither NAG nor Tow2b can be fired from a tank's barrel, so they r not comparable to LAHAT.

3. LAHAT with a range of 8km is definitely a very effective n deadly weapon.

i talked in general about top attack missiles in inventory on both sides, not those that can be fired by tank guns.

atgm aka heat round is usually effective against steel armour but not against composite layered armour for one reason alone, it lacks speed and penetration power, around 800-850 m per second.

There is a misconception about top attack atgms, they do not fly high and hit the turret roof, rather, they fly in a lofted trajectory for a while and usually hit the top most part of turret IF fired from head on 0 deg angle.

Lahat is primarily a 105mm L7 atgm round which is customized for 120mm arjun gun, in essence, to give arjun an atgm firing capability.

It is not more effective than the invar, relfex, or kombat and others etc and suffer the same fate against a multilayered composte armour. heat rounds need to exploit weak zones to become more effective.

Back
Top Bottom