What's new

Arjun-II MBT development l Updates & discussion.

That's good news know if its true.
Could you share how you were able to confirm that it was CLGM that was tested.

The image looks like Arjun Mk1 firing a regular tank round.
Image is for representation only.
It was actually tested on ARJUN MK2.
It is confirmed by one of my uncle working with DRDO

Dear Mr Egale , it is just a harsh remark to prevent derailing of thread as member do not read my post properly and start trolling . It is not fare for you to remove my post only . He also make a harsh remark , you should also remove his post .

Weight will bring down to approx 60 tons by using hn steel and all aluminium and all steel wheel and new construction approach to minimise the gap between parts . Further weight reduction of 2-3 ton would be possible by redesigning of turret .

You cannot bring down the weight without substantially redesigning the whole mbt, not just by tweaking some areas here and there.

I'll do whatever I want, next time I will say it's shooting out rockets.
You cannot bring down the weight without substantially redesigning the whole mbt, not just by tweaking some areas here and there.
Depends on what you call 'redesigning'. There is a redesign in the sense that different material would be used. The expectation is that the High-Nitrogen-Stell being stronger, one would need less of the steel; further the steel wheels are replaced by lighter aluminum ones. The designers feel confident that 7-8 tonnes could be reduced.
The issue I feel is how many more years will be spent in the hot-cold-jungle-desert-dirt trials!!!

Dear Mr Egale , it is just a harsh remark to prevent derailing of thread as member do not read my post properly and start trolling . It is not fare for you to remove my post only . He also make a harsh remark , you should also remove his post .
Dude, mention your issue properly.
I'm unable to understand you

Had it been a different thread, I would have very strongly advised you not to spread insider info freely on a public domain forum. But you are the bearer of good news of my pet program. How can I be mad at you...

OnTopic: This is a big news guys. Not only CLGM is a big deal but the weight reduction with high Nitrogen no nickel steel is a huge step in right direction. HNS is not only lightweight as compared to RHS but about 40% cheaper. This is without any drop in penetration characteristics. One more thing to note is even with a cursory look on the mechanical specs sheet, you can see it is quite similar to SSAB's Armox 500T protection plates. They are regarded as one of the toughest protection plates in business.
DRDO HNS:-
Thickness: 8mm to 50mm
Hardness(HV min) : 370
Elongation(% min) : 20

Armox 500T
Hardness(HV min) : 508(+37%)
Elongation(% min) : 10(-50%)

One major difference on general high nitrogen steels and the one developed by DRDO is the absence of Nickle. Ni-Fe allows are known to have dimensional invariance even @ high temperatures. There is a reason why FeNi36 is called Invar.
From chemical composition side DRDO's HNS has simpler composition than Armox 500T. DRDO uses following composition C :0.05%, Cr: 17.5%, Mn:17.5%, N :0.60%, Si:0.30%, P:0.06, S:0.015%. Armox T500 composition C:0.32%, Cr: 1.0%, Mn:1.2%, Si:0.4%,P:0.010%, S=0.003%, Ni=1.8%, Mo=0.7%, B=0.005%

It is clear from the chemistry that Armox is not a high nitrogen steel and is a considerable expensive than DRDO's alloy.

Even if this type of steel is good development for tank armor plating, I would like to see similar development of lighter titanium - iron alloys. Not only they have excellent weight characteristics, they are better than HNS in penetration characteristics.

On a separate note, how many nations have their own CLGM like projects and how do they stack against our CLGM...?

Had it been a different thread, I would have very strongly advised you not to spread insider info freely on a public domain forum. But you are the bearer of good news of my pet program. How can I be mad at you...

OnTopic: This is a big news guys. Not only CLGM is a big deal but the weight reduction with high Nitrogen no nickel steel is a huge step in right direction. HNS is not only lightweight as compared to RHS but about 40% cheaper. This is without any drop in penetration characteristics. One more thing to note is even with a cursory look on the mechanical specs sheet, you can see it is quite similar to SSAB's Armox 500T protection plates. They are regarded as one of the toughest protection plates in business.
DRDO HNS:-
Hardness(HV min) : 370
Elongation(% min) : 20

Armox 500T
Hardness(HV min) : 508(+37%)
Elongation(% min) : 10(-50%)

One major difference on general high nitrogen steels and the one developed by DRDO is the absence of Nickle. Ni-Fe allows are known to have dimensional invariance even @ high temperatures. There is a reason why FeNi36 is called Invar.
From chemical composition side DRDO's HNS has simpler composition than Armox 500T. DRDO uses following composition C :0.05%, Cr: 17.5%, Mn:17.5%, N :0.60%, Si:0.30%, P:0.06, S:0.015%. Armox T500 composition C:0.32%, Cr: 1.0%, Mn:1.2%, Si:0.4%,P:0.010%, S=0.003%, Ni=1.8%, Mo=0.7%, B=0.005%

It is clear from the chemistry that Armox is not a high nitrogen steel and is a considerable expensive than DRDO's alloy.

Even if this type of steel is good development for tank armor plating, I would like to see similar development of lighter titanium - iron alloys. Not only they have excellent weight characteristics, they are better than HNS in penetration characteristics.

On a separate note, how many nations have their own CLGM like projects and how do they stack against our CLGM...?
Also the RHA steel used in Mk1 was imported; the use of indigenous HNS steel would decrease the import dependence.

I think only Israel and Russia have produced CLGM like tank fired anti-tank missiles.

I take care of sensitive information.
Anyways, I don't have any intention to hijack your pet Program.
Good day:cheers:

7Jf7iiH.jpg

May i ask why does arjun use a 120 mm barrel rather than a 125 mm barrael you it just puts more strain on parts for tanks the Indians have a diverse set of tanks making it expensive to maintain them also what use is a 120mm barrel in conditions of pak-india war

May i ask why does arjun use a 120 mm barrel rather than a 125 mm barrael you it just puts more strain on parts for tanks the Indians have a diverse set of tanks making it expensive to maintain them
Commonality with NATO, I guess.
The ammo used by Israeli/French MBTs can also be used by the Arjun(by and large).
also what use is a 120mm barrel in conditions of pak-india war
The Arjun's gun is rifled so it's accuracy is very good and has fired special ammo like PCB(Penetration cum Blast) shells
2nqbkv4.png

and Thermobaric Shells
10fnxgw.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom