What's new

Are Pashtuns in majority?

what are you blabbering about idiot, there is no such thing as pakhtun, it is either pashtun or pathan. referring to the word original etymology, the word pakhtun is a corrupted one from pashtun. live with it.

Seeing as how pashtun peoples originated from somewhere in Zhob, the kh accent makes sense.

Reading this thread reminds me just how complicated and complex my beloved Pakistan really is. So Punjabis and Pashtuns are the two largest ethnic groups of Pakistan but Punjabis dominate the politics, economy and society, right? But why then is Urdu instead of Punjabi your national language? Can someone please explain?

But why then is Urdu instead of Punjabi your national language?

Bcoz we dont want to turn Pakistan into Punjabistan..

P = Punjab
A= Afghania
K= Kashmir
I= it for support but u can use it for "Indus"
S= Sindh
Tan = from Balochistan

if we change Urdu with Punjabi, Sindhi, Baloch, Pashtun will blame Punjabis for colonization of rest and making them Punjabi etc.. its not same with urdu.. urdu is accepted by all the ethnic group bcoz its not native language and all ethnic group can understand urdu...

but Punjabis dominate the politics, economy and society, right?

Not alone, Sindhi ruled Pakistan more then Punjabi even after only being 12% of population.. Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto the first elected PM was a Sindhi (ruled 5 years), Benazir Bhutto was her daughter (ruled 5 year combine) and last president Zardari (half sindhi half Baloch) was husband of Benazir bhutto (ruled 5 years).. Pervez Musharaf :: Muhajir (those who migrated from India during partition of Indian Subcontinent) ruled us for decade was also resident of Sindh, Muhammad Khan Junejo (ruled 3 years) as PM (But Zia was Martial law dictator so i dont add his tenure..)

25 years only Sindhi rule

Punjab only had 2 dictators, Zia ul Haq for 10 years or so.. and yahya khan for 3 years..
Nawaz Sharif, (7 years combine)
Shaukat Aziz (3 years)

Punjabis 23 years

KPK
Self declare field marshal Ayub Khan, ruled Pakistan for 11 years, he was from KPK (new name of NWFP (Afghania))

11 years for KPK..

Baluchistan
Mir Zaffarullah Jamali was PM of Pakistan for 2 years..

Balochistan 2 years..

In 50's

Most of PM were bengali.. (now bangladeshi)

Last edited:
they can be either
Well, Jats mainly migrated to Punjab and Kashmir from Rajasthan; where they converted to Islam in large numbers and many migrated to modern day Pakistan after the migration - and another exodus occured when they were driven from Kashmir and into Punjab. Gujjars followed the same migration patterns since they were an offshoot of the Jatts.

ohh Jats are iranian stock whereas gujjars are central asian ppl who migrated to south asia through afghanistan and kashmir and even now u can find many gujjars are living in afghanistan's province of nuristan.. majority of gujjars are muslims now and very few minority is found in rajasthan and indian occupied kashmir who happens to be muslims and rest r in Punjab Pakistan and Sindh .. Jatts ancestry is from Iranians ...

i m compiling the information on Punjabis of Pakistan about their culture, tribes regions, and many more things.. and i would like to know more ppl are intrested in getting and collecting the information thanx

Janab-e-elii, Gustakhi maaf....Azr a he bay takaluf....ye posh raha hu
Ye Lucknow-Ka-Banka....kin logo ko kaha jata hay.??
I just want to know origin & etymology of that word :sick:
Lucknow-Ka-Banka. : Lucknow was FAMOUS AS Janaion Ka sehar ( City of ladies/Sissies) because of extremely sophisticated culture and politeness.
Now Banka/ Banke : literally mean "Youth In his prime". Banke of Lucknow were originally pehalwan and strong arms who control the area associated with Singers and ahem ahem ! Their job was to maintain order.
Soon they spread to all over Lucknow. During Moharram procession they used to be most active.

Reading this thread reminds me just how complicated and complex my beloved Pakistan really is. So Punjabis and Pashtuns are the two largest ethnic groups of Pakistan but Punjabis dominate the politics, economy and society, right? But why then is Urdu instead of Punjabi your national language? Can someone please explain?

well we are just confused ppl i mean Pakistan is a federation of 5 major nations Balochis, Punjabis, Pakhtuns, Sindhis,and Gilgit Baltistanis and we have now 5 provinces named after these major ethnics but we have smaller nations like Brohis who share land with Balochis historically, and after 1947 we have urdu speakers share land with Sindhis, we have Hindkos who share land with Pakhtuns, we have kashmiris who share land with Gilgitis and then we have some tribes of different ethnics living in each other lands from like hundreds of years back ... just to unite all of them we have urdu as a langauage but we are forgetting our ethnic cultures our poets our history our way of living which we should maintain .. and raise awarness about it .. but some people are against it just because they think it will create divisions and i dont know how??

Pashtuns in Pakistan are not the majority. But their population is far higher than what is in the census as the census is linguistic. There may be approximately 50 million pashtuns in Pakistan opposed to the official figure of 28 million.
we shouldnt forget 28 million people are living in KPK, karachi & upper balochistan which people assume that there r 28 million Pakhtoons whereas if we conduct a true consensus then Pakhtuns will b equal to Punjabis if we count Pathans of Punjab ... at the end of the day they r also Pakhtuns for example Jahangir tareen, Humayun Akhtar Khan, Kasuris of Kasur, khakwanis, Niyazis, Chach Pathans of Attock, kakakhels etc..dont forget that famous entertainers like Noor Jahan, Nusrat fateh Ali Khan, rangeela comedian, Munawar Zaeef and even Madhu bala who migrated from Lahore to mumbai for movie industry were having pashtun ancestry and also Siraj Durrani of Sindh and there must be some Sindhi pakhtuns besides Pakhtuns in karachi

Last edited:
Lucknow-Ka-Banka. : Lucknow was FAMOUS AS Janaion Ka sehar ( City of ladies/Sissies) because of extremely sophisticated culture and politeness.
Now Banka/ Banke : literally mean "Youth In his prime". Banke of Lucknow were originally pehalwan and strong arms who control the area associated with Singers and ahem ahem ! Their job was to maintain order.
Soon they spread to all over Lucknow. During Moharram procession they used to be most active.
Hazoor, Ap ny Hamara Mad-aaa Hul farma dia, Ab Qarar agia hy:p:
Jis ka bohat bohat Shurkryia Qabool farmay
Ham Is Ghalat fahmi ma mub-tala thay ka shaid ye (-) manfi lafaz hay, Jabhi tu Sahib log Nazar 4 honay per, Kanni katra k nikal gay :lol:

As other members have expanded, Pakistan is a federation within which reside many different ethno-linguistic groups. Giving one preference over the other leads to animosity and instability. As for Punjabis, they make up around half of the country's population, and as such they have a strong presence in the country of course, but I wouldnt term that "domination" as that sounds too authoritarian. Punjabis have actually been very flexible for the betterment of all Pakistanis. Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto (Sindhi) and Ayub Khan (Hindkowan) were for example hugely popular figures amongst the Punjabi populace, with the former and his political party the "Pakistani Peoples Party" having a strong support base in the province until recently. Further the Punjabi language receives no patronage from the state and despite forming the largest ethno-linguistic group, agreed to make Urdu the sole national language.

Urdu is a mish mash of languages which was developed during the Islamic Sultunates and Mughal Empire as the language of the "Ordu" i.e. the military camp. It retains strong influences from South Asian languages as well as Persian, Turkish and Arabic. Because of its lack of association with any ethnic group of Pakistan, it was deemed by the Pakistan movement leadership in the 1940s, to be the most neutral language. Whilst most multi-ethnic post-colonial nations made English or French their national language, the Pakistani leadership at that time decided that a native tounge was more suitable. Having said that this was still quite a controversial decision as became apparent in the years subsequent to independence, as Muslim immigrants from North India (traditional heartland of Urdu) poured into Pakistan in the 1940s, and due to their better comprehension of the Urdu language were able to achieve a distinct advantage over the native ethno-linguistic groups of Pakistan. They came to dominate the civil bureaucracy for example and gained a strong hold over the financial capital of Pakistan, namely Karachi.

However that is another matter and before confusing you too much hence, Pakistan is a very complex machine, and the centre has to tread very carefully when issues relating to the autonomy of provinces are concerned.

Last edited:
The theory is that jats moved from Sindh, but now there are not any jats in Sindh which is weird. .
The presence of Jats in Sindh is confirmed by 8th century book 'Chach namah" written by Qazi Ismail who was one of the Qazi appointed by Muhammad bin Qasim. I didnt give it a read , but i saw details about Jats in the english translation of the book.

Seeing as how pashtun peoples originated from somewhere in Zhob, the kh accent makes sense.
People of Zhob and surrounding speaks "Sh" or soft dialect. I have explained in this blog post as why Kheen variant of Pashto is not original. Pakhto or Hard dialect is not original one

F off little pr***. Pashtun is a corrupted form, its "SH" sound is gay and obvious persian influence there like most of Afghan Pakhtoons are under the farsawani and persian influence. There is no corrruption on Pakistani side, and hence the reason why it is called Khyber Pakhtoonkawa. educate yoursel your ignorant Afghan.
Stop your bakwas.........Sheen or soft dialect is also widely spoken in Pakistan, in Karak, Lakki Marwat, Bannu, North Waziristan, South Waziristan, Tank, Dera Ismail Khan, Sherani, Zhob, Loralai, Pishin, Qila Abdullah, Qila Saifullah, Quetta, Harnai, Sibi, Ziarat.......

Stop your bakwas.........Sheen or soft dialect is also widely spoken in Pakistan, in Karak, Lakki Marwat, Bannu, North Waziristan, South Waziristan, Tank, Dera Ismail Khan, Sherani, Zhob, Loralai, Pishin, Qila Abdullah, Qila Saifullah, Quetta, Harnai, Sibi, Ziarat.......

Pashtu never meant to be a "soft" or gay language like Persian or french, thats the beauty of it. It is the HARD language. Make ones feel like man. Can you tell me from your infinite wisdom my sunshine, as to why KPK is called Kyber PaKHtoonkawa not PaSHtunkhawa? bloody idiot!

sir, how many Pakistanis have Brahmin roots ? i know couple of Pakistanis have Kshatriya roots but never heard any Pakistani claiming Brahmin roots. (beside Kashmirs)
also,
@HttpError (you are a rajput from Pakistan so maybe you know some Brahmin converts ?)
@Taimoor Khan
@DESERT FIGHTER @Armstrong

the actual pashtun (the tribal pashtun, who can trace their lineage from one of the pashtun tribal confederation) are very less in number. most of the pashtun in pakistan are actually pashtunised one. pashtun migrated to the current pashtunkhwa abode and there were already settled people here, most of them got diluted in pashtun. a pashtun from that area can tell you who are actually pashtun and who are qasab gar, kareegar, zargar, qureshyan, faqeeran, hindki, seraikiyan, sayedan, awan, kotaran etc who will pass on as a pashtun. for example the area i live in will be considered 100 percent pashtun in census, but in reality the tribal pashtun don't make more than 15 percent.
@spinghar Sir who are Qasab gar are they clothes makers/weavers, and what about Kareegar, zargar and kotaran.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom