What's new

Are Pashtuns in majority?

Please
Please
Please.......Punjabi is not an ETHNICITY .... so naturally the weight goes in Pushtun favor.....they are in Majority ...no doubt about it

Please
Please
Please.......Punjabi is not an ETHNICITY .... so naturally the weight goes in Pushtun favor.....they are in Majority ...no doubt about it

If only language is counted and not sub groups with in punjab then punjabis are majority, otherwise pashtuns are single biggest group of people in Pakistan.

Since when Niazi's of Mianwali have become Pashtuns. Pashtuns means the ones who speak Pushto, 1/3rd of KPK population speaks Hindko, Majority Pashtuns live in Tribal areas the settled areas on KPK are 50/50 pashtuns and Hindko.
and By the way the famous list includes mostly Hindko speakers.

If only language is counted and not sub groups with in punjab then punjabis are majority, otherwise pashtuns are single biggest group of people in Pakistan.
Iam following you - You are Phd in these affairs
May I Ask you one Question for Clarity??
Punjabi is the person who ...
a)
Who speaks Punjabi irrelevant of its race and geography...& b) Who resides in Punjab province... whether he speaks Punjabi language or not, that makes Sindhi/Baloch/Punshtuns = Punjabi
2nd Question
Is that above Analogy is not applicable in Sindh ...???
If i go and settle there in Sindh province, speak their language..makes me Sindhi or not

Iam following you - You are Phd in these affairs
May I Ask you one Question for Clarity??
Punjabi is the person who ...
a)
Who speaks Punjabi irrelevant of its race and geography...& b) Who resides in Punjab province... whether he speaks Punjabi language or not, that makes Sindhi/Baloch/Punshtuns = Punjabi
2nd Question
Is that above Analogy is not applicable in Sindh ...???
If i go and settle there in Sindh province, speak their language..makes me Sindhi or not
Bhai, we're talking about ethnicity not language; I speak English - does that make me White? Ofcourse not.

Aren't Pathans and Pashtuns the same?

Depends on who you ask. Non-Pashtuns in South Asia use the term as a synonym for Pashtuns, but no Pashtun ever calls himself Pathan. Rather this is a term of self identification for individuals who have ancestry from Pashtuns, but have settled down in non-Pashtun areas of South Asia such as Punjab, UP, Sindh and subsequently adopted the local customs, languages and traditions, meaning that other than ancestry and genetics (depends on how far back the ancestry goes), there is not much that differentiates a "Pathan" from a neighbour in say Punjab, who are Rajput or Gujjar. Rather they are for other Punjabis around them just as much Punjabi as themselves.

If Pashtuns from Afghanistan also join Pakistan, what would be the population % of Pashtuns in the new Pakistan?

Is there any desire or interest on either side of the border to make this happen? It may bring some peace to this troubled region.

Depends on who you ask. Non-Pashtuns in South Asia use the term as a synonym for Pashtuns, but no Pashtun ever calls himself Pathan. Rather this is a term of self identification for individuals who have ancestry from Pashtuns, but have settled down in non-Pashtun areas of South Asia such as Punjab, UP, Sindh and subsequently adopted the local customs, languages and traditions, meaning that other than ancestry and genetics (depends on how far back the ancestry goes), there is not much that differentiates a "Pathan" from a neighbour in say Punjab, who are Rajput or Gujjar. Rather they are for other Punjabis around them just as much Punjabi as themselves.

Atleast in India, Pathans don't easily intermingle with others and are very proudly proclaim Hum Pathans hai. They say they are the ruling class.

OP I'm pretty sure both Shahryar Khan and Jahangir Khan are not Pashtun Punjabis. Both of them would be classified as Muhajir or Urdu Speaking.

If Pashtuns from Afghanistan also join Pakistan, what would be the population % of Pashtuns in the new Pakistan?

Is there any desire or interest on either side of the border to make this happen? It may bring some peace to this troubled region.

Atleast in India, Pathans don't easily intermingle with others and are very proudly proclaim Hum Pathans hai. They say they are the ruling class.

:) Well Pashtuns/Pathans/Pukhtuns from Pakistan do not wish to join Afghanistan similarly the Afghan side of Pashtuns also do not wish to join Pakistan, However, some political elements just for sake of continuing their politics talk of a greater Pakhtunistan/Pashtunist; which BTW is not possible.

secondly such unification is not going to bring any peace because the peace can only come to the region when Afghanistanis are willing to give due share to all the ethnicity in Afghanistan in power

OP I'm pretty sure both Shahryar Khan and Jahangir Khan are not Pashtun Punjabis. Both of them would be classified as Muhajir or Urdu Speaking.

Which Jehangir Khan?

Back
Top Bottom