What's new

Are all Sayyid (Syed in South Asia) Shia's or former Shia's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the information. I just thought it was odd that Saudi Arabia had prohibited it. From what I have noticed, when it comes to religion Yemenis are far more conservative, so it just seemed weird that Qat could be haram. Anyway, I know that the southern portion of Saudi Arabia is extremely similar to Yemen culturally. I do have interest in ancient Semitic civilizations, particularly Babylon, Phoenicia, & the ancient Israelites. Although, I am not ignorant of Yemeni civilizations either. The one that I know best is the Ethiopian/Yemeni Kingdom of Saba, and that's because of its link to King Solomon's dynasty over Israel. In any case, the southern portion of Arabia (Oman & Yemen) from what I have learnt so far was the most civilized & developed region of Arabia at its time, excluding Mesopotamia. It's due to that that even the Romans referred to Arabia with 2 distinct names; Arabia Deserta & Arabia Felix. Felix is a Latin word meaning blessed or happy. It was essentially used to differentiate the developed & undeveloped regions using Greco-Roman standards.

7abibi it is not "strange" because all kind of stimulants or "drugs" are banned in KSA. You know that as having lived there. Our government does not care whether that "drug/stimulant" is less harmful than tobacco or whatever. It is still banned. Besides if it was not banned it would cause the same problems as in Yemen in certain provinces or regions where qat has historically been chewed and still is in secret.

Saudi+entry+card.jpg

BOHo1b1CYAArdr-.jpg

Well it depends on which area/province/city etc. Overall both Saudi Arabians and Yemenis are quite conservative but again speaking in the name of two such diverse countries etc. is not wise.

Qat is a social thing that dates back to thousands of years ago. Way before Islam. It has been part of the social life of Yemen for thousands of years. Mostly Northern Yemen. Moreover the Islamic ruling on it has never been with a consensus and some don't consider it Haram or Makruh at all. Some the first while some the latter.

The entire Arab/Semitic world have ancient civilizations and the Central Arabian Peninsula region, unlike other regions in the Arab/Semitic world are largely untouched in terms of archeology. It's not more than a few months ago that traces/remains of a highly developed culture in the middle of Najd from 10.000 years ago was found that had domesticated the horse, used advanced agriculture, weapons etc.

Besides all Semitic people originate from the Arabian Peninsula/Horn of Africa and have been closely tied.

7abibi it is not "strange" because all kind of stimulants or "drugs" are banned in KSA. You know that as having lived there. Our government does not care whether that "drug/stimulant" is less harmful than tobacco or whatever. It is still banned. Besides if it was not banned it would cause the same problems as in Yemen in certain provinces or regions where qat has historically been chewed and still is in secret.

I know that of course, but the reason for my confusion was that Qat was sold in Saudi Arabia in the past. Since you mentioned it was makruh, similar to cigarettes, then they probably would have no reason to ban it taking in to consideration that tobacco is also a minor stimulant, & Qat is associated with culture. So I am guessing moral reasons are involved in it being prohibited, as in the chance for excessive abuse.

Well it depends on which area/province/city etc. Overall both Saudi Arabians and Yemenis are quite conservative but again speaking in the name of two such diverse countries etc. is not wise.

I wasn't generalizing, I was just stating my own observation. I agree with you though, Saudi Arabia varies by region. The Eastern province as in Dammam & Khobar is the least conservative, again this is based on my own interaction with people there.

Qat is a social thing that dates back to thousands of years ago. Way before Islam. It has been part of the social life of Yemen for thousands of years. Mostly Northern Yemen. Moreover the Islamic ruling on it has never been with a consensus and some don't consider it Haram or Makruh at all. Some the first while some the latter.

Yeah, this clarifies the problem, the discrepancy among scholars may have played a role in it being prohibited to an extent. Of course, this is guess work from my side. In any case, my confusion regarding the legality of its use under the Islamic law has been clarified.

The entire Arab/Semitic world have ancient civilizations and the Central Arabian Peninsula region, unlike other regions in the Arab/Semitic world are largely untouched in terms of archeology. It's not more than a few months ago that traces/remains of a highly developed culture in the middle of Najd from 10.000 years ago was found that had domesticated the horse, used advanced agriculture, weapons etc.

Besides all Semitic people originate from the Arabian Peninsula/Horn of Africa and have been closely tied.

Civilizations have existed among all people, but the quality of those civilizations have varied. My reference to Arabia Felix & Deserta, was based on Greco-Roman standards of civilizations. The Gauls for instance had developed villages, metal work, et cetera but the Romans still considered them savages for not meeting their own standards.

Yes, all Semitic people are related & I am sure you know about the Biblical patriarch Shem. It's the same as all Indo-European people being related through Japheth or Yafeth, except that Indo-
Europeans spread extremely far out. Speaking of the Horn of Africa, I was under the impression that Semitic people migrated there in the past similar to the Phoenician migration to North Africa. I don't recall reading about any Semitic tribe originating within Africa itself. In fact all sources point to a purely Middle Eastern origin for Semitic tribes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom