What's new

Arab world and Latin America cooperation thread

Take a look at how civilized the Youtube comments are from Latinos, Spaniards and Portuguese people. That is pretty much amazing given that this is Youtube and the internet and the year 2019.

I always said that Spaniards, Portuguese and Latinos are civilizational friends of Arabs and potentially strategic partners (politically) and that much more needs to be done by the political elites to increase and strengthen ties.

It is great to see that Arab-Latin ties are growing by each year and so much unfulfilled potential.

Saudis setting eyes on Latin America for renewable-energy push
Abdul Latif Jameel Energy is currently developing about 5 gigawatts of renewable energy projects globally, with 30 percent in Latin America
renewable-energy.jpg

Investments in Latin America’s clean power market jumped 65 percent to $17.2 billion last year, much higher than the global average of 3 percent.

Abdul Latif Jameel Co, a Saudi Arabian industrial firm involved in everything from auto imports to real estate, is turning its attention to Latin America’s clean-energy market.

The company is focusing on government-organized auctions, where developers vie for long-term contracts to sell power, according to Roberto de Diego Arozamena, chief executive officer at Abdul Latif Jameel’s energy unit.

Mexico, Chile and Peru offer strong potential for growth in renewable energy, and governments in the region are courting international investors to help diversify the electricity mix.

The Saudi company acquired in 2015 the Spanish solar developer Fotowatio Renewable Ventures, which came with about 3.8 gigawatts of projects in emerging solar markets including the Middle East, Australia, Africa and Latin America.

Abdul Latif Jameel Energy is currently developing about 5 gigawatts of renewable energy projects globally, with 30 percent in Latin America.

“Latin America is an important market, where costs of renewables are declining and governments are giving support,” Arozamena said in a telephone interview from Dubai. “We are eager to grow in the region.”

The Saudi company’s renewable-energy push comes as the kingdom seeks to meet a target set in 2016 of producing 70 percent of its power from natural gas and 30 percent from renewables and other sources by 2030. OPEC’s biggest producer is among crude exporters struggling with budget deficits after oil prices declined.

Gas and oil supplied all of the country’s energy in 2015, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

The government is now developing a programme to provide subsidies for rooftop solar, and an auction last year held as part of the National Renewable Energy Program drew headlines for a record low bid for solar power - $17.9 per megawatt-hour.

Investments in Latin America’s clean power market jumped 65 percent to $17.2 billion last year, much higher than the global average of 3 percent, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance. That compares to a 26 percent decline in Europe and less than 1 percent growth in the U.S.

“ We are seeing more and more large, international European power companies in Latin America,” said Ethan Zindler, an analyst at Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

Mexico’s booming clean-energy projects have put the country neck-and-neck with the regional leader Brazil in the race for investments. Spending in Mexico jumped more than sixfold to $6.17 billion last year amid a national push to open the country’s power, gas and oil markets that spurred competition after decades of state monopoly.

Abdul Latif Jameel Energy said on Tuesday it secured financing to start construction of a 342-megawatt solar project in Mexico this year, its first in the country. In Chile, it was awarded a hybrid project that will power about 224,000 Chilean homes with 100 megawatts of solar capacity and 100 megawatts of wind.

The company is wary about Brazil, because of the fluctuating currency and the lack of dollar-denominated contracts, and Argentina, which is still views as risky, Arozamena said.

“We have a strong pipeline in Latin America and will focus on solar and wind,” said Arozamena.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/ene...es-on-latin-america-for-renewable-energy-push

BTW does anyone know when/if the next Summit of South-American-Arab Countries will take place? The last summit took place in Riyadh in November 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_of_South_American-Arab_Countries

It should be an annual event to enhance ties.

I am not a troll. I go to a Yemeni masjid and they say the Houthis are rafida and they talk about them as being Shia. I sincerely like Saudi. I like Sheikh Fawzan, Sheikh Uthaymeen, Sheikh Ibn Baz and them.

Am I Arab-Mexican? I'm surprised you guessed I'm Mexican. I think maybe it's because I mentioned José Vasconcelos elsewhere. Yes, I am Mexican. I'm not Arab, though. Yes, México is very beautiful and has a history which I love to study. I hope it becomes a Muslim country in my lifetime... or at least moves in that direction. Islam is innate in all people.

EDIT: I see now the videos you posted. I much appreciate them. If you want to visit México, I hope you don't be afraid of visiting. The cartel violence is a real thing and it breaks my heart to hear about some of the things that are happening. However, my family members just got back from Durango, they had a great time and my mom and my brother just got back from México and I don't think anyone felt unsafe or anything like that. You just have to avoid certain areas.

@Omar Al-Deek

The other thread got closed so I am going to answer you in this thread also because it is a thread about Arab-Latin cooperation.

The Houthis are a terrorist cult. Nothing Islamic or Muslim about them.

No, because of your country flags.

Not afraid of visiting and as any other Arab I would tend to blend in easily outside of the Native Mexican areas. Besides I understand Spanish and speak it almost fluently after time in Spain. Besides it is an easy language to learn (IMO) and pronunciation wise there are many similarities between Arabic and Spanish as well as tons of Spanish words of Arabic origin.

BTW I plan to visit Latin America again one day. Would love to visit Colombia for instance. Many Arabs there too.

See posts 67 and 68 brother.

The largest Arab diaspora (25-30 million) are based in Latin America and Arabs have been extremely successful in Latin America. This thread is a testament of this. Today Arab war refugees, in particular Syrians, are arriving to Latin America again and succeeding. Sure there are areas of Latin America where violence is rampant and crime but we can say the same about our part of the world yet we would object to people saying that this was the norm or that such violence/instability/conflict was present everywhere when that is far from being the case.
If I was a Syrian refugee I would prefer to go to Brazil (a economically booming country with a wonderful climate, a HUGE Arab-Brazilian population, many similarities in terms of culture, cuisine, open and warm people) rather than some small, cold and increasingly xenophobic/Islamophobic Northern/Western European country. Some benefits or not. That's just me.

I don't know much about Canada. Never visited it, unlike nearby US. But I hear that they are doing good in terms of welcoming refugees (although using a very selective process similar to Australia if I am not wrong) and Saudi Arabian students are very much present in Canada nowadays.

I like this post.

I think Mexican people and Latin people are not hateful towards Muslims. I don't think we have animosity against Muslim people.

There are people who have been brainwashed by the media and who are hateful but I don't think anti-Muslim sentiment is entrenched in the way it is with some of the European people.

I think the common Latin American is simply not very familiar with Islam and would be open with a Muslim person, not having strong bias.

If it was up to me, Syrian refuges would be perfectly welcome to come to México in as great a number as they want. My only concern would be making sure they live around Muslims and that they stay on the dīn (in the case of Muslims).

@Omar Al-Deek

The other thread got closed so I am going to answer you in this thread also because it is a thread about Arab-Latin cooperation.

The Houthis are a terrorist cult. Nothing Islamic or Muslim about them.

No, because of your country flags.

Not afraid of visiting and as any other Arab I would tend to blend in easily outside of the Native Mexican areas. Besides I understand Spanish and speak it almost fluently after time in Spain. Besides it is an easy language to learn (IMO) and pronunciation wise there are many similarities between Arabic and Spanish as well as tons of Spanish words of Arabic origin.

BTW I plan to visit Latin America again one day. Would love to visit Colombia for instance. Many Arabs there too.

Yes, I do think we look alike.... I remember I tried to talk to my coworker in Spanish and I found out he was Egyptian.... my other coworker was Mexican and I thought this coworker was Latin too. I've had people think I was Arab before, also.

I am Muslim first, anything else second.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

The believers are nothing else than brothers (in Islamic religion) [al-Hujuraat 49:10]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: The relationship of the believer towards the people of faith is like that of the head to the body. The believer feels the pain of the people of faith just as the body feels the pain of the head.

(Narrated by Imaam Ahmad).

Mexican people have a long and ancient history which I think is interesting but I am proud to belong to the greatest of nations, which is the Muslim Ummah.

I love my Muslim Ummah and I love that we are a nation which is not based on race or nationality. Anyone of any race, any language, any color can say the Shahadah and become a Muslim. I like that I can talk to Muslims from all over the world and they are my brother, even if they speak languages I don't understand and come from far across the ocean. I have never been outside of this continent and I almost can't believe there are places on the other side of tbe ocean. It makes me amazed to think that my ancestors before Columbus had never seen a Muslim or a Christian before.

I was on a French forum where I was trying to practice French. I was very upset because I was talking to the French people on there and I said that I see the French as being like my cousins... there had been this old concept that Hispanics and French were bound by a common Latin culture- by "latinidad" (I guess in English it would be "latin-ness").

One of the French people responded- "Mexican and French are related? Maybe the way humans are related to monkeys." I am paraphrasing and translating but that was really what he said. 500 years of a common religion of Catholicism and yet this person saw us as "monkeys" rather than brothers. Of course, we defeated the French in war and I think we have more taqwa on average so I think it is silly for him to make such a statement.

I am surrounded by Arabs when I go to the mosque, I've been going there since I think 2012 (or 2013) and I have always been treated like a brother because of common faith, never felt discriminated against, never felt like the other person thinks one of us is greater or lesser based on race. I love my Arab Muslim brothers and I cannot stand anti-Arab hate. I have Arab brothers I could call right now if I was in trouble and I feel confident they would do their best to help me. I had lunch recently with another Mexican revert and with a brother who just came from Saudi- the Saudi brother was a great guy and I had a great tine talking to him.

I think maybe you can understand our language because if you know English then Spanish is easy- but Arabic is very hard for me and I find it very intimidating.

I must be thankful to God that I have access to some Islamic material. However, my counterparts who don't know English have much less access to Islamic material. Hispanics in the US become Muslim much more often than Hispanics back home because there is so little material available in Spanish. This makes me upset for the ones who have the less access.

I can't even get Saheeh Bukhari and Tafsir Ibn Kathir in Spanish.

Latin Americans like all humans need Islam and I hope much more Islamic material is produced in Spanish in the future so more and more Hispanics can be brought into the Muslim Ummah and so the Muslim Ummah can be benefited and Hispanics can be benefited.

You can read Shaykh ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah. Very little of his work is to be found in English.

You have to access to Islamic material in a way that I don't and that almost all Hispanics don't. Wherever you go and whatever you do in the future, I hope you spread the message of Islam and use your knowledge of Arabic and what you've learned in Saudi to promote knowledge of Islam, so that those who learn may benefit and so you may benefit by God rewarding you.

I was 19 years old before I learned about Islam. All across Latin America, there is widespread practice of witchcraft and there is all sorts of polytheism is.

Before I learned about Islam, I didn't know what shirk was. It wasn't even a concept I understood. The Santa Muerte cult is increasing becoming entrenched in Mexican culture. People are praying to a skeleton and giving offerings. All sorts of polytheism is being promoted to Mexicans and we're being told it's our culture. Evil forces are trying to corrupt us spiritually and morally. The real factor behind the cartel violence I believe is a crisis in lack of taqwa.

The Quran is a message for all humanity and shirk is the worst sin even if people are being brainwashed and being told it's their culture.

"Culture" does not justify this and the people must be taught so that they understand that they need to get away from these kinds of practices:

santa-muerte.jpg

599a1244e9180f19448b4567.jpg

24ALBUM-2-master1050.jpg

images

devoto-Santa-Muerte-da-ofrenda_TINIMA20110915_1193_5.jpg

I wish I could send Sheikh Wahhab to México!

Islam is the answer:

I like this post.

I think Mexican people and Latin people are not hateful towards Muslims. I don't think we have animosity against Muslim people.

There are people who have been brainwashed by the media and who are hateful but I don't think anti-Muslim sentiment is entrenched in the way it is with some of the European people.

I think the common Latin American is simply not very familiar with Islam and would be open with a Muslim person, not having strong bias.

If it was up to me, Syrian refuges would be perfectly welcome to come to México in as great a number as they want. My only concern would be making sure they live around Muslims and that they stay on the dīn (in the case of Muslims).

Yes, I do think we look alike.... I remember I tried to talk to my coworker in Spanish and I found out he was Egyptian.... my other coworker was Mexican and I thought this coworker was Latin too. I've had people think I was Arab before, also.

I am Muslim first, anything else second.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

The believers are nothing else than brothers (in Islamic religion) [al-Hujuraat 49:10]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: The relationship of the believer towards the people of faith is like that of the head to the body. The believer feels the pain of the people of faith just as the body feels the pain of the head.

(Narrated by Imaam Ahmad).

Mexican people have a long and ancient history which I think is interesting but I am proud to belong to the greatest of nations, which is the Muslim Ummah.

I love my Muslim Ummah and I love that we are a nation which is not based on race or nationality. Anyone of any race, any language, any color can say the Shahadah and become a Muslim. I like that I can talk to Muslims from all over the world and they are my brother, even if they speak languages I don't understand and come from far across the ocean. I have never been outside of this continent and I almost can't believe there are places on the other side of tbe ocean. It makes me amazed to think that my ancestors before Columbus had never seen a Muslim or a Christian before.

I was on a French forum where I was trying to practice French. I was very upset because I was talking to the French people on there and I said that I see the French as being like my cousins... there had been this old concept that Hispanics and French were bound by a common Latin culture- by "latinidad" (I guess in English it would be "latin-ness").

One of the French people responded- "Mexican and French are related? Maybe the way humans are related to monkeys." I am paraphrasing and translating but that was really what he said. 500 years of a common religion of Catholicism and yet this person saw us as "monkeys" rather than brothers. Of course, we defeated the French in war and I think we have more taqwa on average so I think it is silly for him to make such a statement.

I am surrounded by Arabs when I go to the mosque, I've been going there since I think 2012 (or 2013) and I have always been treated like a brother because of common faith, never felt discriminated against, never felt like the other person thinks one of us is greater or lesser based on race. I love my Arab Muslim brothers and I cannot stand anti-Arab hate. I have Arab brothers I could call right now if I was in trouble and I feel confident they would do their best to help me. I had lunch recently with another Mexican revert and with a brother who just came from Saudi- the Saudi brother was a great guy and I had a great tine talking to him.

I think maybe you can understand our language because if you know English then Spanish is easy- but Arabic is very hard for me and I find it very intimidating.

I must be thankful to God that I have access to some Islamic material. However, my counterparts who don't know English have much less access to Islamic material. Hispanics in the US become Muslim much more often than Hispanics back home because there is so little material available in Spanish. This makes me upset for the ones who have the less access.

I can't even get Saheeh Bukhari and Tafsir Ibn Kathir in Spanish.

Latin Americans like all humans need Islam and I hope much more Islamic material is produced in Spanish in the future so more and more Hispanics can be brought into the Muslim Ummah and so the Muslim Ummah can be benefited and Hispanics can be benefited.

You can read Shaykh ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah. Very little of his work is to be found in English.

You have to access to Islamic material in a way that I don't and that almost all Hispanics don't. Wherever you go and whatever you do in the future, I hope you spread the message of Islam and use your knowledge of Arabic and what you've learned in Saudi to promote knowledge of Islam, so that those who learn may benefit and so you may benefit by God rewarding you.

I was 19 years old before I learned about Islam. All across Latin America, there is widespread practice of witchcraft and there is all sorts of polytheism is.

Before I learned about Islam, I didn't know what shirk was. It wasn't even a concept I understood. The Santa Muerte cult is increasing becoming entrenched in Mexican culture. People are praying to a skeleton and giving offerings. All sorts of polytheism is being promoted to Mexicans and we're being told it's our culture. Evil forces are trying to corrupt us spiritually and morally. The real factor behind the cartel violence I believe is a crisis in lack of taqwa.

The Quran is a message for all humanity and shirk is the worst sin even if people are being brainwashed and being told it's their culture.

"Culture" does not justify this and the people must be taught so that they understand that they need to get away from these kinds of practices:

santa-muerte.jpg

599a1244e9180f19448b4567.jpg

24ALBUM-2-master1050.jpg

images

devoto-Santa-Muerte-da-ofrenda_TINIMA20110915_1193_5.jpg

I wish I could send Sheikh Wahhab to México!

Islam is the answer:

Great posts bro. You should visit the Arab world one day. Depending on your education you could try to get a job in the GCC, preferably KSA, and at the same time study Arabic and Islam. 100.000's if not millions of Muslims from across the world have done so in recent decades.

Many of those scholars that you have mentioned are also teaching students.

The Islamic University of Madinah is very famous.

Great posts bro. You should visit the Arab world one day. Depending on your education you could try to get a job in the GCC, preferably KSA, and at the same time study Arabic and Islam. 100.000's if not millions of Muslims from across the world have done so in recent decades.

Many of those scholars that you have mentioned are also teaching students.

The Islamic University of Madinah is very famous.

JazakAllahkhair. Yes, I want to go to the Arab world one day and at least stay there long enough to learn the language. I would love to go to an Islamic university insha'Allah. I have heard about the University of Medina.

BarakAllahu feek.

JazakAllahkhair. Yes, I want to go to the Arab world one day and at least stay there long enough to learn the language. I would love to go to an Islamic university insha'Allah. I have heard about the University of Medina.

BarakAllahu feek.

Choose KSA. Has it all plus the best Islamic universities and Arabic learning centers. Infrastructure, wealth, security, opportunities etc. wise it is easily compared to the West. Won't be such a huge cultural shock on this front for people coming from the West, say as for instance rural Afghanistan or Yemen would be.

Choose KSA. Has it all plus the best Islamic universities and Arabic learning centers. Infrastructure, wealth, security, opportunities etc. wise it is easily compared to the West. Won't be such a huge cultural shock on this front for people coming from the West, say as for instance rural Afghanistan or Yemen would be.

Sounds like a good plan. I might try visiting Yemen also. I love Yemeni people. KSA is known for its scholars.

Sounds like a good plan. I might try visiting Yemen also. I love Yemeni people. KSA is known for its scholars.

Visiting Yemen currently is asking for trouble. Trust me, you don't want to do that as an inexperienced traveler. It is unfortunately currently a failed state. I would feel safer visiting Afghanistan or Somalia nowadays.

Visiting Yemen currently is asking for trouble. Trust me, you don't want to do that as an inexperienced traveler. It is unfortunately currently a failed state. I would feel safer visiting Afghanistan or Somalia nowadays.

Wow, I didn't know it's that bad right now (I'd figured it was just in certain parts). I meant after the war is over... hopefully it will be over.... at some point.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know it's that bad right now (I'd figured it was just in certain parts). I meant after the war is over... hopefully it will be over.... at some point.

it surely will be over eventually. Have in mind that large parts of Yemen are actually rather peaceful although not exactly making for ideal tourist destinations nowadays.

Thinking about the amazing Socotra Islands and Hadhramaut.

BTW it is amazing that Arab-Latin relations are not more highlighted by each community. Has to be due to religious and linguistic differences (despite the significant Arabic influence on Spanish and Portuguese, an average Spanish and Portuguese speaker cannot communicate with an Arabic speaker and vice versa in their mother tongues) and of course geography.

Otherwise there is tons of similarities. Arabs being one of the largest and most successful ethnic groups in Latin America (some 30-40 million), most Latin people having Arab blood in them due to the Spaniards and Portuguese, who themselves were under 800 years of Arab/Moor influence on every front (linguistic, cultural, cuisine, ethnic, traditions, architecture, music etc.) and later the post-Al-Andalus Iberia incorporated much of the Al-Andalus heritage into mainstream Spanish and Portuguese culture (except for religion) and later exported it to Latin America creating a fusion between local indigenous "Indian" culture, African (slaves). Later for large amounts of Arab refugees, mostly Christians but not only, arriving alongside as exotic people as Japanese as well. Brazil mainly.

To similar political struggles against colonialism and imperialism.

Or even the similarities (often) in terms of appearance.

Incredible stuff really. Relations need to flourish further and reach new heights. Tons of potential when you think about it. As a Spanish speaker I relate very much to Latin America and our similarities are more highlighted for me than say the average Arab who is not aware of the above mentioned historical facts. This part of the heritage (Arab) is also highlighted and seen as mostly positive due to the civilization grandeur at the time, although modern-day anti-Muslim Spanish nationalists will obviously look negatively at the period, but have unknowingly adopted tons of things from said civilization, that they consider fully Spanish. The irony.

Last edited:
Finding the Middle East in Latin America

May 12, 2018 · 5 min read

This story was originally written for and published in "); background-size: 1px 1px; caret-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.843137); font-family: medium-content-serif-font, Georgia, Cambria, "Times New Roman", Times, serif; font-size: 21px; letter-spacing: -0.08399999886751175px; background-position: 0px calc(1em + 1px); background-repeat: repeat no-repeat;">Sekka Magazine.

1*BInzrMvh8-PzBR1dUoLonA.jpeg

1*BInzrMvh8-PzBR1dUoLonA.jpeg

Photograph of an Arab-Argentine aid society in Tucumán, Argentina, 1932. Source: Moise A. Khayrallah Centre for Lebanese Diaspora Studies.
It was in my hometown of Amman that I first learned of Latin America. I was enrolled at a summer camp in the city that my mom thought would be a good distraction during the hot summer months. I was probably 9 or 10 at the time and was drawing away in an arts and crafts class when I noticed a girl sitting in front of me. She was a lean, tall, pale brunette with soft, long, dark hair. Her features and complexion weren’t foreign to me, but her demeanour was. I don’t know how we got to talking exactly but she told me she was from Chile. “Chile?” I thought. “Where’s that?” I asked her. She told me that Chile was a country in South America and that it was the “longest country in the world”. She grabbed a world map from the back of the classroom and brought it over proudly demonstrating her home to me. Listening to her talk about Chile, and how she came to Amman for the summer because her father was a Jordanian, intrigued me. Why was it that I’ve never heard of that country before? How come no one I know goes there? These questions have been in my mind since that day and I’ve never forgotten her.

That was the first time I heard of Latin America. Luckily, I am a child of the internet generation which gave me access to all the information I needed to learn of the distant continent. I read everything about it from politics and history to music and literature. I picked up Gabriel Garcia Marquez at the young age of 14 and promised my self to visit every country in the continent before the age of 30 (I am very much on my way to fulfilling that promise). Despite all of my intrigue, what connected me most the continent was my discovery of the unexpected connection it has to my own origins: the Middle East. Latin America and the Arab World have influenced one another for over a century, and it is that connection which brought me to continent time and time again.

Although my initial research indicated that there was a lot of Arab influence in Latin America (and vice versa) it wasn’t until I visited Colombia for the first time that I took note of it. While on a food tour in Medellin, our host took us to a restaurant that made Arab-inspired delicacies like sambousak and grilled halloumi. He proudly told us of his Lebanese origins and how influential Arab culture was on Colombia’s national cuisine. It was then that I became adamant to collect more stories of Arab-Latino relations. My research showed me that the first significant connection between the Arab and Latin American worlds was with the visits of Brazilian Emperor Pedro II, who spoke Arabic, and came to the Middle East twice — in 1871 and 1876 — particularly to Lebanon, Syria, Palestine, Turkey and Egypt. He even visited the American University of Beirut and sat among students in a lecture. Emperor Pedro’s visit to the region began the first wave of Arab migrants to Latin America.

1*aYFcV5c2xosH4LJ3pZ-Ntw.jpeg

1*aYFcV5c2xosH4LJ3pZ-Ntw.jpeg

Visit of Brazilian Emperor Pedro II to Egypt in the 1870s. Source: NGC Blog
Arabs — particularly from the Levant — have been immigrating to South America in droves especially in times of instability or conflict for the last 150 years. Although reports vary, most recent "); background-size: 1px 1px; background-position: 0px calc(1em + 1px); background-repeat: repeat no-repeat;">reports suggest that there are between 17 to 30 million Latinos of Arab origin in Latin America making it the largest community of Arabs outside the Middle East. Arabs have left a huge mark on the continent with the former presidents of Argentina (89–99), Brazil (11–14), Colombia (78–82), Ecuador (96–97; 98–00), El Salvador (04–09), and Honduras (98–00) all being of Arab origin.

1*D7G5Vo51kjCazqVoO9L7xg.jpeg

1*D7G5Vo51kjCazqVoO9L7xg.jpeg

Palestinian and Lebanese refugees during the Lebanese Civil War moved to Latin America in droves. Source: Americas Quarterly.
There has also been a lot of cultural exchange and influence between the two regions. Cuban poet Jose Marti once famously proclaimed, “let us be Moors!” in a 1893 poem referring to his support of the Moroccan uprising against Spain in the late 1800s. In more recent history, the legacy of Muslim leader Salah Eldin Alayoubi was an influence on Latin American leader Che Guevara who visited his tomb in Damascus on a trip to the region in 1959. Cuba’s capital, Havana, also has a centre dedicated to Arab culture. This does not come as a surprise to me, as many Latin American capitals also have centres, landmarks and monuments dedicated to the origins of their Arab communities.

1*sbkUP6A_O8tgGalap--9gg.jpeg

1*sbkUP6A_O8tgGalap--9gg.jpeg

Centre for Arab Culture in Havana, Cuba. Source: Brownbook Magazine
This influence, however, is not one-sided. Ever wonder where the famous Syrian drink mateh comes from? Mateh (also called “yerba mate”) is a traditional Argentinian drink — also found in Uruguay, Brazil and Chile — made of yerba leaves. Syrians usually drink it from a silver bowl and straw which Argentinians are also known to use. After some research, I discovered that many Syrian immigrants to Argentina brought mateh back with them and it became a hit! What I always believed to be a traditionally Syrian drink turned out to be an Argentinian concoction.

I can go on and on about the cross-cultural influences. One of Chile’s most prominent football clubs, Club Deportivo Palestino, was founded in Santiago de Chile in 1920 by a Palestinian immigrant. It is now considered the “second national club” of Palestine and continues to don the colours of the flag. Arabs are also leaders in Latin America’s textile industry, and are known for running textile factories in the region.

1*lp8oxy1qBrKGTyeajBk1Jw.jpeg

1*lp8oxy1qBrKGTyeajBk1Jw.jpeg

Club Deportivo Palestino in Santiago, Chile, 1953. Source: Remezcla.com
My adventures in the continent, therefore, come from a place of connection. Travel has always been a form of self discovery for me and if travelling to South America will bring me closer to my roots then I will pursue it wholeheartedly. So far, I befriended a Cuban taxi driver originally from Beirut and met a Palestinian chef in the Nicaraguan city of Grenada. I’ve found traces of my heritage in various Latin American cities and I will continue to archive and honour the history of our region through the exploration of the Latin continent.

1*ZDtolOB2f3qOw2wCNcMpKw.jpeg

1*ZDtolOB2f3qOw2wCNcMpKw.jpeg

Granada, Nicaragua, 2018: This is Gustavo, a gentleman from Managua. The look of shock on his face came after I told him I was visiting from the Middle East. He told me that he works at a textile factory in Managua owned by a Palestinian by the name of “Khoury”. Palestinians have made a name for themselves in Nicaragua for being businessmen. Its these encounters that bring me to the Latin continent over and over again.

Saudi Arabia’s future ‘brighter than ever,’ says Mexican envoy in farewell meeting
1661046-1286363149.jpg

ARAB NEWS
July 11, 2019

• Al-Assaf wished Miranda great success in his new endeavors
RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s future “is brighter than ever,” according to Mexico’s outgoing ambassador to the Kingdom.

During a farewell meeting with Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf, in Riyadh, envoy Alfredo Miranda hailed the efforts led by King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to transform the Kingdom’s economy and society.

“I am convinced that the future of Saudi Arabia is brighter than ever under Vision 2030,” said the diplomat. “I was able to witness very important changes such as women driving, the return of cinemas, live music concerts, e-visas and the beginning of the giga-projects.”

Miranda and Al-Assaf discussed a range of issues of mutual interest including ways to further enhance bilateral relations between the two countries, and the ambassador passed on to the minister the good wishes of Mexican Foreign Secretary Marcelo Ebrard Casaubón.

The Mexican envoy said that during his term, bonds between Saudi Arabia and his country had strengthened in every respect, highlighting the number of Mexican companies now based in the Kingdom.

And he added that the G20 summit of world leaders, to be hosted by Saudi Arabia next year, would offer another opportunity to promote bilateral meetings.

Al-Assaf wished Miranda great success in his new endeavors, and the outgoing ambassador responded by saying that he was “proud of having fulfilled professional goals, and also pleased to have met so many people he now calls friends.”

The Saudi-Mexican Parliamentary Friendship Committee of the Shoura Council, chaired by Mohammed Al-Nqadi, also met with Miranda on Tuesday and discussed issues of common interest between the two countries, especially in parliamentary domains, and means of enhancing bilateral relations.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1523871/saudi-arabia

This below political summit needs to return. Last held in KSA back in 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_of_South_American-Arab_Countries

President Bolsonaro says Brazil seeks 'even deeper partnership' with Saudi Arabia
1821596-1313981096.jpg

TAREK MISHKHAS
DEPUTY EDITOR IN CHIEF
October 30, 2019

• Saudi Arabia is currently Brazil’s largest trading partner in the Arab world
  • Bolsonaro hopes trip will help broaden cooperation between the two countries
RIYADH: Saudi Arabia and Brazil are influential countries regionally and internationally. Saudi Arabia is Brazil’s largest trading partner in the Arab world, while Brazil is projected to become one of the world’s largest oil producers by 2030.
Jair Bolsonaro, currently on his first visit to Saudi Arabia as president of Brazil, told Arab News that his country is working to consolidate its position as the Kingdom’s main partner in South America, and to take “our relationship to an entirely new level.”
He said Brazil will continue to play a prominent role in the Kingdom’s food security, and expressed hope that with the signing of new agreements in such areas as science, technology and cultural exchanges, his visit will help broaden cooperation between the two countries.

Q Saudi Arabia and Brazil enjoy cordial relations. How crucial is your maiden visit in terms of enhancing bilateral ties?

The fact that I am paying this visit in the first year of my presidential term is a sign of the high importance the Brazilian government attaches to the Arab world, and Saudi Arabia in particular. Brazil is working to consolidate its position as the main partner of Saudi Arabia in South America, and to take our relationship to an entirely new level.
Our two countries have been enjoying a traditional relationship for more than 50 years, with a mutually beneficial nature. The Brazilian agribusiness sector is a source of food security to Saudi Arabia, and Brazil relies on imports of Saudi oil to meet its energy needs. Our relationship is already very good, but the time has come to make it great.
With regard to financial cooperation, Brazil welcomes Saudi Arabia’s objective to become a global investment powerhouse, and has been attracting the attention of Saudi investors for the many opportunities it offers, especially in the field of infrastructure.
Brazil and Saudi Arabia are both undergoing modernizing reforms, have converging interests, and should seek an even stronger partnership, with the aim of supporting each other’s development. This trip is the first step to revolutionize our relationship.

Q What are the major bilateral agreements planned during this visit?

This visit will help to broaden cooperation between Brazil and Saudi Arabia, and the agreements we are working on reflect this new and promising reality. We are hoping to sign with the Saudi government instruments in areas such as science, technology and innovation; investment promotion; cultural exchanges; the defense industry; trade promotion; and visa facilitation.

Q What are the key areas where you see there is a need to further enhance bilateral cooperation?

The agribusiness sector in Saudi Arabia offers many opportunities. and there is a growing interest among Brazilian companies in exploring the Saudi market. More Brazilian companies are establishing themselves in Saudi Arabia, by far the largest market in the region.
Likewise, the natural complementarity between the two economies is a powerful driver of Saudi investment in Brazil. Defense is also an area in which there certainly can be increased bilateral cooperation.

Q Saudi Arabia and Brazil are influential countries regionally and internationally, with both being G20 members. Do you think cooperation should be intensified further, and in which areas?

Brazil has been playing an active role in the G20, which we consider to be the leading international forum for economic cooperation. The priorities for Saudi Arabia’s presidency in 2020 will allow for constructive debates on global economic and trade issues. We look forward to engaging in discussions on infrastructure and development finance, as well as other topics of relevance to the promotion of economic growth.

Q Saudi Arabia and Brazil are oil-producing countries, with the Kingdom being a major producer. They have important roles in the oil market. Is there some joint cooperation expected? Can Brazil reconsider its decision to join OPEC+ anytime soon?

Brazil is projected to be, until 2030, one of the world’s largest oil producers, exporting up to 3.5 million barrels per day.
Our production of natural gas will substantially increase as well, with the building of the necessary largescale infrastructure to explore gas reserves in the pre-salt layer. Since these developments will happen 10 years from now, Brazil is not yet considering to join any international oil organizations.
Meanwhile, Brazil is ready to continue to cooperate with OPEC members, and our relations with Saudi Arabia are a clear indication of that. We would like to see Saudi Arabia investing
in oil refining in Brazil and participating in our oil-bidding rounds, taking all its experience to our oil and gas market, a decision that would certainly benefit both our countries.

Q Saudi Arabia is undergoing major reforms in line with Vision 2030. Do you see a role for Brazil in working with the Kingdom on Vision 2030 projects?

I am impressed with Vision 2030 and its inspiring blueprint for the future of Saudi Arabia. In Brazil, we are also focused on implementing an ambitious agenda of reforms, to restore fiscal balance, improve the business environment and promote trade openness.
The results of our efforts are starting to show. Recently, the National Congress approved the largest pension reform ever made in the Western world, an essential step to lay the basis for sustained growth. Our administration has been taking a number of measures to cut red tape and stimulate the private sector. Mercosur, the South American trade bloc, has reached a historic deal with the EU.
The Brazilian economy is growing again, and the prospects for the coming years are encouraging. Brazil and Saudi Arabia share a long-term commitment to transform their economies and prepare for 21st-century challenges. We should maintain a permanent dialogue in order to exchange experiences on our modernization efforts, partnering and cooperating to develop
new technologies, scientific breakthroughs and innovation in general.
With all the reforms I am promoting, Brazil is becoming one of the hottest countries in the world to invest. As such, I would like to see it become Saudi Arabia’s main partner in Latin America and the developing world, in the context of the much-welcome Vision 2030.

Q Saudi Arabia is a major economic partner for Brazil in the Middle East, especially in the agricultural sector. Do you think there is a need to diversify opportunities?

Bilateral trade between Brazil and Saudi Arabia reached $4.4 billion in 2018. This figure makes Saudi Arabia Brazil’s largest trading partner in the Arab world, and Brazilian agribusiness products amount to a significant part of our trade. Brazilian exports of frozen chicken meat, for example, were worth $800 million. Brazil is ready to continue to play a prominent role in the food security of Saudi Arabia.
At the same time, I do believe there is a lot of space to explore further opportunities to bring our economies closer and make it more diverse. There are new products and areas in agribusiness we should explore, and there are certainly a lot of new opportunities in other sectors that should be on the table every time we meet.
We already see Saudi investments in Brazil in areas such as mining, plastics and pipe systems. And one of the main purposes of my visit is to invite Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth funds to strengthen their presence and participate in large infrastructure projects, from roads and railways to ports and airports.
I am confident that Brazil and Saudi Arabia can work together to identify additional economic complementarities and launch the foundations for a new cycle of shared prosperity for our peoples. I firmly believe that this trip will be the first step in building an even better, deeper and richer partnership, reflecting the visions His Royal Highness Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and I have for our countries.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1576296/business-economy

Arabs and the Americas:
A Multilingual and Multigenerational Legacy

Waïl S. Hassan

Waïl S. Hassan is Professor of Comparative Literature at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the President of the American Compara- tive Literature Association. His latest publications include the Arabic trans- lation of Alberto Mussa’s O enigma de Qaf (2015) and the edited volumeThe Oxford Handbook of Arab Novelistic Traditions (2017), which includesfive chapters on the Americas. He is currently writing a book provisionally entitled “Arab Brazil: Literature, Culture, and Orientalism.”

The culture that Spanish and Portuguese colonists brought to the Americas was deeply marked by nearly eight centuries of Arab, Moorish, and Muslim presence in Iberia. The Spanish and Portuguese languages had borrowed an estimated four thousand and one thousand Arabic words, respectively, while the impact on literature, philosophy, architecture, music, cuisine, and so many aspects of Iberian culture, not to mention the ethnic and racial makeup of the population, was incalculable. A few months separated the fall of Granada and Columbus’s first voyage, two events that led to the arrival of Arabic speakers in the New World right at the moment of con- quest. Expecting to reach India, where Islam had been present for centuries, Columbus took moriscos with him to act as Arabic interpreters (Mehdi 1), while the ships of Pedro Álvares Cabral (whose middle name likely comes from Arabic—al-fāris means “the horse-rider” or “knight”) were reportedly piloted by Arabs (Igel 308).

It was not until the 1880s, however, that Arabs from the Ottoman pro- vince of Greater Syria (present-day Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Israel, and

Review: Literature and Arts of the Americas ISSN 0890-5762 print/ISSN 1743-0666 online © 2019 Informa UK Limited, trading as Taylor & Francis Group. http://www.tandfonline.com https://doi.org/10.1080/08905762.2019.1681762

Jordan) began to immigrate to the Americas in significant numbers. This was mainly the result of population growth and the decline of the silk industry in the Mount Lebanon region as a result of competition with Chinese and Japanese silk, more cheaply available to European markets after the opening of the Suez Canal. Other factors included the spread of foreign, including American, missionary schools throughout the region in the nineteenth century, which drew a rosy picture of the missionaries’countries; the success stories of earlier immigrants to the Americas, some of whom returned home wealthy; and the Ottoman military draft imposed after 1900, which many males, especially Christians, wanted to avoid. Although widespread, the myth of ethnic and religious persecution of Christians by Muslim compatriots and Ottoman officials is not sup- ported by facts, although it was promoted abroad by some immigrants and foreign missionaries, sometimes becoming part of immigrant family lore (Khater 49-52). Akram Khater estimates that by 1914, almost a third of the inhabitants of Mount Lebanon left for the Americas, with the majority settling in Latin America, where they faced fewer restrictions on immigration than in the United States, and where greater economic oppor- tunities were found. Because of the Iberian legacy, Arabs who settled in Latin America also felt much closer to their native cultures than those who made it to the United States.

The majority of early immigrants were Christians (Maronite, Syrian Orthodox, and smaller numbers of others denominations), but there were also Muslims and Jews from Greater Syria, Egypt, Iraq, Morocco, and else- where. Since the Second World War, large numbers of Palestinians dispos- sessed in 1948, more Lebanese fleeing the country’s Civil War of 1975-90, immigrants from various Arab countries, and in recent years Syrian refugees, have settled throughout the Americas, as well as in Europe and Australia. Unlike the early immigrants, who were predominantly poor, many of the newcomers have been of the middle class who left their home countries for education, professional opportunities, and other reasons. They have also been more diverse in their religious, national, and ethnic backgrounds.

Because they arrived with Ottoman travel documents, early Arab immi- grants were first called “Turks” in the United States and “turcos” in Latin America. This label was offensive to many of them who detested Ottoman rule. In reaction to this homogenization and misidentification, immigrants who in their home countries identified themselves by clan, sect, and/or city and town began, in the U.S., to call themselves“Syrians,” in reference to Greater Syria, and more recently “Arab Ameri- cans.” Similarly, in Brazil they first called themselves sírios, and after Leba- non’s independence in 1943 some called themselves libanêses, sírio- libanêses, árabes/brasileiros, brasileiros/árabes, or simply árabes.

Official immigration records in many countries in the Americas also reflect this change in labels. Writing specifically of the Lebanese, Hourani states, “Because of this confusion of names, but also for other reasons, it

Arabs and the Americas: A Legacy 167

168 Review: Literature and Arts of the Americas

is not possible to give more than a very rough estimate of the number of emigrants or their descendants. To say that some hundreds of thousands have left Lebanon in the last century and a half, and that their descendants may number a few millions, is at least to give some idea of the size of the movement” (3). Today, Brazil is home to the largest community of Arab descent in the Americas (an estimated 7-12 million, or 3.5-6% of the popu- lation, compared to about 3.5 million, or roughly 1% of the U.S. popu- lation). In Spanish America, Argentina has received the most Arab immigrants (about 4.5 million), followed by Mexico, Colombia, and Vene- zuela (1.5 million each); Chile (800,000); Honduras and Ecuador (a quarter million each), and smaller numbers in Central America and the Caribbean. Chile has the largest Palestinian population outside of the Middle East, and they are the majority of Arab Chileans. They are mostly Christian Ortho- dox, unlike the majority of Arabs who have settled in Argentina and Brazil, who were Lebanese Maronites.

Whereas in the United States Arab Americans have long suffered from“invisibility” (Jamal and Naber) as well as demonization, largely as a result of U.S. meddling in Middle East politics, their counterparts in Brazil and other Latin American countries have been remarkably visible and successful as cultural figures, businessmen, and politicians—presiding, for example, over the largest telecommunications network in Mexico; becoming heads of state in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, and Paraguay; and estab- lishing themselves as major writers, poets, and artists. Yet their beginnings in North and South America are quite similar, with many of them working as pack-peddlers, then gradually opening shops and factories. With economic success came social mobility and an emphasis on education for the second generation, which produced middle-class professionals.

Due to British and U.S. political influence in the Middle East, many Arabs already knew at least some English prior to immigrating to the United States in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. By con- trast, their compatriots who settled in Latin America did not begin to acquire Portuguese or Spanish until they arrived there. Thus, while an Anglophone Arab immigrant literature began over a century ago (Hassan 38), the great majority of Arab immigrants in Latin America wrote only in Arabic. They are known collectively as the “southern mahjar” (or immi- grant) group, to distinguish them from, while also denoting their affinity to, the North American mahjar writers. Likewise, the North American Al- Rābitạ al-Qalamiyya (the Pen League), founded by Kahlil Gibran in 1920 inNewYork,haditscounterpartintheBrazilianAl-‘Usḅaal-Andalusiyya(the Andalusian League), founded in São Paulo in 1933, and Al-Rabitạ al- Adabiyya (The Literary League), established in Argentina in 1949. Arab immigrant writers were also more numerous in Latin America than in the United States: George Ṣaydaḥ lists eighty-three in Brazil, thirty-six in the United States, eighteen in Argentina, and smaller numbers in Mexico, Venezuela, Ecuador, Chile, Bolivia, Uruguay, Cuba, Colombia,

and Santo Domingo. Written in Arabic and addressed to Arab readers both in the Arab world and in the Americas, most of this literary production engages with themes and issues pertaining to Arabic literature and to social and political issues in the Middle East, with little reference to its immediate surroundings. In Latin America, Arab immigrant writers remained even closer both to the political concerns of the Arab homelands and to the Arabic poetic tradition, which they venerated, than the North Americans, who rebelled against the conventions of Arabic poetry and exhibited great interest in mysticism and universal themes. Both groups, however, have played an important role in the history of modern Arabic literature and much scholarship has been devoted to their work.

A few immigrants and dozens of second- and third-generation writers have written in Portuguese and Spanish, including some of the most promi- nent poets, novelists, journalists, and scholars. These include Antônio Houaiss, Salim Miguel, Mário Chamie, Carlos Nejar, Waly Salomão, Raduan Nassar, Milton Hatoum, Alberto Mussa, and Marcelo Maluf in Brazil; Shakib Arslan, Juan Khury, Pablo Achem, Juan José Saer, Jorge Asís, and Durval Abdala in Argentina; Benedicto Chauqui, Edith Chahín, Ema Cabar Kuncar, Mahfúd Massís, Roberto Saráh, Miguel Littín, Andrés Sabella, and Walter Garib in Chile; Giovanno Quessep, Luis Fayad, and Juan Gossaín in Colombia; Héctor Azar, Bárbara Jacobs, and Carlos Martí- nez Assad in Mexico; Jorge Elías Adoum and Jorge Enrique Adoum in Ecuador; among many others. Notably also, many prominent Latin Ameri- can writers without Arab ancestry have written about Arab or Muslim culture and/or Arab immigrants—including José Martí, Malba Tahan, Jorge Luis Borges, Jorge Amado, Gabriel García Márquez, Ana Miranda, and Nélida Piñon. The current special issue offers a small sampling of scho- larship and literary works from this enormous field, still largely understudied.

References

Hassan, Waïl S. Immigrant Narratives: Orientalism and Cultural Translation in Arab American and Arab British Literature. New York: Oxford University Press, 2011. Hourani, Albert. “Introduction.” Albert Hourani and Nadim Shehadi, eds. The Lebanese

in the World: A Century of Emigration. London: Tauris, 1992. 3–11.
Igel, Regina. “Ni halal ni kosher: Inmigrantes sirio-libaneses y judíos en la literatura bra- sileña.” In Árabes y judíos en América Latina: Historia, representaciones, y desafíos.

Ed. Ignacio Klich. Buenos Aires: Siglo XXI, 2006. 306–35.
Jamal, Amaney and Nadine Naber, eds. Race and Arab Americans Before and After 9/11:

From Invisible Citizens to Visible Subjects. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 2008. Khater, Akram Fouad. Inventing Home: Emigration, Gender, and the Middle Class in

Lebanon, 1870-1920. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2001.
Mehdi, Beverlee Turner, ed. The Arabs in America, 1492-1977: A Chronology & Fact

Book. Dobbs Ferry, NY: Oceana Publications, 1978.
Ṣaydaḥ, Jūrj. Adabuna wa urabā’unā fī al-mahājia al-amrīkiyya. 3rd ed. Beirut: Dār al-

’Ilm lil-Malāyīn, 1964.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/08905762.2019.1681762

Back
Top Bottom