What's new

Arab world and Latin America cooperation thread

Yes, I have visited Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay (all during a 1 month trip) and since I studied 1 year in California I met friends of Latin-American origin from countries such as Colombia and Honduras who were of Arab origin. They were Christian though and could not speak Arabic. I want to visit Colombia, Venezuela and Chile in the future.

But mostly Mexico extensively.

What about you?

Chile in particular has a big Palestinian diaspora.

My family never really had an interest to go there. We aren't familiar with it or have family there. There are Palestinians from Chile. I saw many at the Egyptian/Gaza border and we kept contact with them.

Is it nice there? How is the food?

My family never really had an interest to go there. We aren't familiar with it or have family there. There are Palestinians from Chile. I saw many at the Egyptian/Gaza border and we kept contact with them.

Is it nice there? How is the food?

Well, I don't have any connection to South America either. I just visited the continent once for 1 month. I was traveling with long-time friends from Paris after I had finished my high school.

I rather liked it especially the nature in Brazil. We visited Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo and the Southern Provinces. I never visited anything north of Salvador. Mostly only the coastal areas. Not really the interior. Southern Brazil borders Uruguay and from there it's just a stone throw (in South American geographical terms) before you approach Buenos Aires from Montevideo.

The food is basically Southern European food (Italian and Spanish mainly) so a lot of similarities with Arab cuisine. Then you also have Middle Eastern (Arab) influences and African ones (in Brazil). Basically the cuisines have a lot of various influences but the base is Southern European cuisine.

I can highly recommend you to visit. The people are really warm, hospitable, the prices are cheap compared to the US and Europe and there is a lot to see nature wise.

I visited the "Arab quarter" in Sao Paulo as well.

São Paulo « Latin Arabia

I also saw a lot of familiar faces. I was never taken for a foreigner anywhere in either Brazil, Uruguay or Argentina before I started to speak.:lol:

Last edited:
Pro-Gaza protests in Latin America

Sao Paulo, Brazil

Valparaiso, Chile

Santiago, Chile

Bogota, Colombia

In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) | Mondoweiss

@Hazzy997 @Arabian Legend @JUBA @Yzd Khalifa @Full Moon @Hadbani @BLACKEAGLE @ebray @Halimi @Wahhab2701 etc.
A little support from here and there, hopefully we can bring independence to our brothers and sisters is Palestine. But still Arab and Moslem must take the biggest share here.

Trade to top agenda of Peruvian president’s talks in Saudi Arabia

1408715482757655600.jpg

Ollanta Humala ... eying an FTA.
RIYADH: RODOLFO C. ESTIMO JR. | ARAB NEWS STAFF

Published — Saturday 23 August 2014

Last update 22 August 2014 11:21 pm

Peruvian President Ollanta Humala is expected to visit Saudi Arabia in 2015 to participate in the fourth Summit of South American and Arab Countries (ASPA) and launch negotiations for a free-trade agreement.
“A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed last year by Peru, Saudi Arabia and other GCC countries,” Peruvian Ambassador Eduardo Martinetti told Arab News.
He added that “the MoU indicates that Peru, Saudi Arabia and the other GCC countries will adopt measures for expanding and liberalizing their trade relations, including establishing a free-trade area between them.”
He also said that Peru is looking forward to the meeting since such an agreement will not only boost its multilateral trade with the Gulf, but also bolster economic and financial joint ventures.
The Peruvian Embassy has started the groundwork ahead of the upcoming negotiations.
“Every country involved will form a committee comprising experts and advisers from the private sector so that their views and interests can be harmonized,” the Peruvian envoy said. “The ASPA summit will be attended by the Peruvian president and eleven other South American heads of state, as well as monarchs and prime ministers from 22 Arab countries,” said Martinetti, who arrived in the Kingdom as the first Peruvian ambassador in July 2012.
Martinetti added that the previous ASPA Summit was held in Lima, Peru, with the attendance of high-ranking officials from Saudi Arabia and other GCC and Arab League countries.
President Humala, a former army officer who ran for office in 2011, leads a booming economy whose GDP has twice doubled since 2000, boasting the highest growth rate among South American countries for 13 years in a row.
The diplomat recalled the first shipment of Saudi dates sent to Lima, which was delayed by Peruvian sanitary officials until it complied with local regulations. “With the support of the Saudi Embassy in Lima, this case enabled the two countries’ regulatory entities to establish a closer relationship,” he said.
“Businessmen in both countries need to be fully aware of the rules and regulations regarding exports to and from Peru so that products can reach the market without delay.”
Benefiting from its vast and diversified resources and exports, Peru pursues an open economy and has signed free-trade agreements with all its major trading partners, including the United States, China and the European Union.
“Peru is big on mining, although the country has prospected only 25 percent of its total territory,” the ambassador said. He added that his country ranks first in Latin America in gold production, second in silver worldwide and third in copper, tin and zinc. He remarked that Peru has also been a fishing country for decades and a first-world exporter of fish meal and fish oil, making it an important fish exporter.

Trade to top agenda of Peruvian president’s talks in Saudi Arabia | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

DID YOU KNOW? LATIN AMERICA HAS HAD 8 PRESIDENTS OF ARAB ORIGIN
According to Al-Ahram, over 17 million people in Latin America are thought to be of Arab origin. Other estimations calculate that Latin Americans of Arab descent could represent up to 5% of the region, or 25-30 million people. Most of them are descendants of immigrants who came from Syria, Lebanon, Palestine and Jordan, during the first decades of the 20th century.

One thing is certain: Latin America hosts the largest Arab diaspora in the world. By comparison, the Arab minority in Europe (including Arab immigrants and Europeans of Arab origin) was estimated at about 6 million in 2010.

Latin Americans of Arab descent have been disproportionately successful. Nowhere in the world more than in Latin America have the Arab migrants been able to thrive and be so successful. The names of Carlos Slim in Mexico, Miguel Facussé in Honduras or José Said in Chile are synonyms of economic power and political influence.

However, Latin American-Arabs are not only well represented among the economic elites of the region; they are also deeply integrated in the social fabric and political life of their host countries. One of the most striking evidence of this is the fact that over the last 60 years, 8 Latin American presidents had Arab origin:

Julio César Turbay, President of Colombia from 1978 to 1982 (Lebanese)

Elías Antonio Saca, President of El Salvador from 2004 to 2009 (Palestinian)

Abdalá Bucaram, President of Ecuador from August 1996 to February 1997 (Lebanese)

Jamil Mahuad, President of Ecuador from August 1998 to January 2000 (Lebanese)

Carlos Saúl Menem, President of Argentina from 1989 to 1999 (Syrian)

Carlos Flores Facussé, President of Honduras from 1998 to 2002 (Palestinian)

Jacobo Majluta Azar, President of Dominican Republic from July 4, 1982 to August 16, 1982 (Lebanese)

Julio Teodoro Salem, Head of State of Ecuador from 29 May 1944 to 31 May 1944 (Lebanese)

Except from the last two, all were democratically elected by universal and direct suffrage.

One of our reader also mentioned Said Musa, two term Prime Minister of Belize, who is the son of a Palestinian immigrant.

The election of presidents with a non-western background is particularly meaningful when considering that all these countries have presidential systems of government. As underlined by Miguel Carreras, presidential elections in Latin America are all the more central that “voters know that the reality of power lies in the hands of the president”.

Such signs of trust show that Latin Americans of Arab descent have largely overcome ethnic discriminations against them. Can you imagine a president with Arab origins in Europe or the US?

It is worth noting that only 4 politicians of Indigenous origin[1] have been elected as President in Latin America so far…

[1] Benito Juárez, a politician of Zapotec origin from Oaxaca who served five terms as President ofMexico from 1858 to 1872; Alejandro Toledo, of Yunga heritage, President of Peru from 1990 to 2000; Evo Morales, of Aymara origin, President of Bolivia since 2006; and Ollanta Humala, of Quechua origin, President of Peru since 2011

Did you know? Latin America has had 8 presidents of Arab origin | ngc blog

turbay-e1363946377190.jpg

Julio César Turbay, President of Colombia

saca-e1363947529191.jpg

Elías Antonio Saca, President of El Salvador

menem.jpg

Carlos Saúl Menem, President of Argentina

majluta.jpg

Jacobo Majluta Azar, President of Dominican Republic

mahuad.jpg

Jamil Mahuad, President of Ecuador

flores-facusse.jpg

Carlos Flores Facussé, President of Honduras

bucaram.jpg

Abdalá Bucaram, President of Ecuador

8th Festival of Integration – Chile

A World You Never Knew Existed

If you are like me, and most Americans – and dare I say, most Westerners as well – you never knew about the major Arab subculture in South America.

And that’s just Chile. Argentina and Brazil and have more!​

Europe has about 5+ million Arabs [most Euro-Muslims are not Arab] in a continent of 740 Million people, and yet we hear nothing but panic.

Egads! Eurabia! The Arabs are coming! The Arabs are coming!

What if I were to tell you that South America alone has 25+ Million Arabs, most of whom are assimilated, Christians, and getting along quite well in their respective countries.

(Click Here) to see Arab populations broken down by country.

WHAT?!

Yes! It is true.

What did South America do that was so right; and what can we learn from them.

Put aside your pre-conceived notions, and be prepared for a shock.

There might be a possible solution to the Mideast Problem which can be found in Latin America.

Latin Arabia

Spot on. Same story in the US where there are 3.5 million + Arabs.

Arab American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My theory is that it takes time to integrate and that most of the Arab diaspora in Europe were war refugees or from the lower classes or middle classes. Of course I don't have data that proves this but in the case of France vis-á-vis the Maghreb then it's correct. Some might find that strange given that Europe is next door and the close historical ties between Europe and the Arab world but I guess that logic does not always apply. Besides then I think that there are around 10 million Europeans of Arab descent and not "just" 5 million +.

April 29, 2014

4292743229.jpg

Abdullah meets Uruguayan President

Abdullah Bin Zayed and his counterpart review bilateral cooperation during visit

Jose Mujica, President of Uruguay, on Monday received Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, UAE Foreign Minister, in Montevideo.

During the meeting, Shaikh Abdullah conveyed the greetings of President His Highness Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan to the President of Uruguay, and his best wishes for further progress and prosperity for the people of Uruguay.

Shaikh Abdullah also highlighted the importance of relations between the two countries and ways of boosting them in all fields.

Mujica conveyed to Shaikh Abdullah his greetings to Shaikh Khalifa, stressing his country’s keenness to strengthen relations with the UAE.

They reviewed bilateral relations and means of strengthening them in addition to a number of other issues of common interest.

Shaikh Abdullah also met Uruguay’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Luis Almagro Lemes.

During the meeting, they reviewed relations of cooperation and friendship between the UAE and Uruguay, and ways to develop and boost them, especially in the fields of economy and trade, renewable energy and the promotion of investments.

They also exchanged views on a number of issues of common concern in light of the current developments in the regional and international arenas.

Shaikh Abdullah expressed his happiness at the opportunity to visit Uruguay for the second time following his first trip to Montevideo in October 2009, expressing his deep appreciation to Lemes for the warm welcome and hospitality.

During a joint press conference with Lemes, Shaikh Abdullah said, “Our meeting today is a clear indication of our joint commitment to strengthening bilateral relations between our countries in various areas, including trade and investment, people-to-people exchanges, science and technology, political dialogue, renewable energy and sustainable development.”

He also highlighted the UAE’s keenness on forging closer economic ties with Uruguay, adding that the current level of trade between the two countries has the potential to expand significantly.

“I look forward to the opening of a Uruguayan Embassy in Abu Dhabi in the near future. This will serve to increase dialogue between the UAE and Uruguay on a range of issues, and to support an expansion of business links,” Shaikh Abdullah said.

He said, “We have had a comprehensive exchange of views on peace and security issues in the Middle East and Latin America. Our countries share many common interests and concerns in today’s globalised world,”

Shaikh Abdullah expressed his thanks to Uruguay for supporting the UAE in its successful bid to host Expo 2020.

“Our countries also share a strong interest in renewable energy and cooperation on climate change issues. We commend Uruguay for its efforts to spread important messages about climate change to the world and I look forward to welcoming Uruguay’s participation in the Abu Dhabi Ascent meeting, which will support preparations for the 2014 Climate Summit and will be held in Abu Dhabi on May 4 and 5.”

He also reiterated the UAE’s full support for Uruguay’s candidacy for a seat on the UN Security Council for 2016-2017.

“The positive outcomes of our discussions today underline our strong desire to achieve a results-oriented partnership that will further strengthen our bilateral relations.”

Shaikh Abdullah added, “I would like to reaffirm our commitment to working together as we deepen the bonds between our people and create new opportunities for the future.”

The Foreign Minister of Uruguay welcomed Shaikh Abdullah and his accompanying delegation, stressing his country’s keenness to develop bilateral relations.

Lemes highlighted his country’s keenness to cooperate with the UAE in various fields, especially in infrastructure, ports and political dialogue. He expressed his country’s aspirations to sign a number of agreements with the UAE, including the avoidance of double taxation.

Shaikh Abdullah attended a luncheon hosted by Lemes in his honour.

Abdullah meets Uruguayan President | GulfNews.com

I read a bit about the Uruguayan president before and he seems like a great guy that many could learn a lot from including some of our Arab leaders to put it mildly. In general Arabs and Latinos/Southern Europeans have many similar characteristics. Religion is what creates the distance really and prejudice.

As mentioned previously between 30-40 million people of Arab ancestry can be found in all of Latin America.

5-7% of Venezuela's population is of Arab origin.

2% of Uruguay's population is of Arab origin.

5% of Colombia's population is of Arab origin.

10% of Argentina's population is of Arab origin.

7-12% of Brazil's population is of Arab origin.

1% of Mexico's population is of Arab descent.

etc.

Useful links below;

Category:Arab diaspora in South America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some very famous Latin Americans of Arab ancestry include Shakira (itself an Arabic name), Salma Hayek and the world's richest or second richest person Carlos Slim Helú. Outside of dozens of politicians, businessmen, statement etc. as mentioned in this thread aside from sportsmen, models etc.

MARKER 2015

In 2015, Marker turned its focus to Latin America, and the connections between this region and the Arab world–from hundreds of years of migration to today’s trading relationships, via a shared sensibility and approach to art practices.

Curated by Luiza Teixeira de Freitas, Marker took – for the first time – a multidisciplinary approach, dwelling on its broad theme through honed, specific lines of enquiry. The programme, located within the Art Dubai Contemporary gallery halls, included artists’ books, sound projects, performance and film, as well as drawing, painting and installation. Teixeira de Freitas worked with artists and commercial and non-commercial organisations across the region to develop this dynamic programme.

CURATORIAL STATEMENT

Marker 2015 takes a broad and open look into what it is to produce and work with art in Latin America today. It then goes on to imagine, build and realise bridges between the Arab world and Latin America – never claiming to be comprehensive nor exhaustive, but instead aiming to bring together strong and meaningful insights on a common platform.

Even for those familiar with these two very distant regions of the world, it is astonishing to realise how the apparent distance between the two is in fact diminished through cultural, visual and physical traits. The Arab diaspora in Latin America was vast by the end of the nineteen century and even more so into the twentieth - so much so that it’s often calculated that there are more Lebanese descendants in Brazil than in Lebanon, while Chile hosts one of the largest Palestinian communities in the world. Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Dominican Republic are all these countries that have been a destination for thousands of Arabs. One simply sees, feels - even smells - similarities when thinking of and experiencing both regions, be it in the food, the people, the language – and of course, the art.

Artistic practices are reflections of life in its many forms and demonstrations. This thought was the inspiration for this year’s Marker: how can we show what artists are thinking about in Latin America; how have artists in that region been influenced by Arab cultures; and will these connections prove pertinent? The curatorial process behind the project this year came about in a rather organic way, one discipline leading to the next and the relationships being made along the way.

To start off, two publishers – The State from Dubai and Tijuana from São Paulo – bring together the work of other publishers from their regions.

Marina Buendia and Maria Quiroga collaborated to select a group of sound works from across Latin America, experienced at the fair in specially designed furniture by Argentinean artist Nicolás Robbio.

Artist Maria Jose Arjona has developed an enthralling history of Latin American (and influential international) performance, enacted by UAE-based artists and students, trained by the renowned Colombian artist.

Associção Cultural Video-Brasil takes over the Art Dubai Cinema with a considered selection of film and video works by both Arab and Latin American artists, curated by Thereza Farkas.

The exhibition ‘Building Imaginary Bridges Across Hard Ground’ brings together more than 20 Latin American artists and focuses on understated but acute relationships between the two regions. The thread continues through two additional projects which question identities, culture, history and belonging.

La Ene - Nuevo Museo Energía de Arte Contemporáneo is a mobile museum of contemporary art from Buenos Aires – an itinerant institution which at Art Dubai occupies a central platform within Hall 1 with ready-made and hand-carried works from its collection.

Finally, Sadud a Ragul, a food kiosk that usually forms a part of the independent project space Lugar a Dudas, run by well-known artist Oscar Munoz, in Cali, Colombia. It was while eating homemade Colombian falafel with Oscar and Sally that the conversation turned to our species' mobilisation in the world, the history of emigration, the blurring of cultures and backgrounds – themes at the heart of Marker 2015.

It does not matter if the empathy, the connection or the feeling of resemblance comes through a book, an artwork, a film, something you eat or something you listen to – it does not even matter if nothing comes at all, what matters is that bridges are made through art, be them imaginary or not.

MARKER 2015 CURATOR

Luiza Teixeira de Freitas is an independent curator working between London and Lisbon, involved in curating private collections and a range of independent projects. Recent exhibitions include: ‘An Infinite Conversation’ (Museu Berardo, Lisbon 2014); ‘Apestraction’ by Damián Ortega (Freud Museum, London, 2013); ‘In Lines and Realignments’ (Simon Lee Gallery, London, 2013); ‘The Exact Weight of Lightness’ (Travesia Quatro, Madrid, 2012); ‘Like Tears in Rain’ (Palácio das Artes, Porto, 2010); ‘The Moon is an Arrant Thief’ (David Roberts Art Foundation, London, 2010). She is also actively involved in artists’ books and independent publishing projects. Freitas was Development Organiser for Chisenhale Gallery, London (2011-13); worked on special projects at Alexander and Bonin, NY (2006-12); and on curatorial projects at Marrakech Biennial 'Works and Places’ (2009) and at Tate Modern (2008).

Marker 2015 | Art Dubai

Another article on increased Arab and Latin American cooperation.

Gulf, Latin America are ‘moving closer’ | Arab News

Arabs bet on the Brazilian market

05/05/2015
Marcos Carrieri*
marcos.carrieri@anba.com.br

Businessmen from Tunisia and Morocco exhibit their products at the São Paulo Supermarkets Association fair. They believe in the potential of local retail.

São Paulo – Producers and delegates from companies in Morocco and Tunisia looking to sell their products in Brazil are attending the São Paulo Supermarkets Association fair (Apas) this week. The event opened this Monday (4th) and will continue until Thursday (7th) at São Paulo’s Expo Center Norte. Four Tunisian companies and a Moroccan one, representing five other organizations, are featured at the stand organized by the Arab Brazilian Chamber of Commerce.

Marcos Carrieri/ANBA
imagem.kmf

Fhoula: second time at the Apas fair

One Tunisian olive oil company, Al Jazira, has its own stand. It has recently won a prize for best bottled olive oil in Tunisia, awarded by the Ministry of Industry.

The commercial manager for South America at Tunis’ Midcom International, Kamel Fhoula has brought olive oils, olives and dates. “This is our second year here at Apas, in a bigger area with more companies. The Brazilian market is interesting and we must invest in it. This is why we returned after 2014. This is a new market for us, and it’s not easy. Brazilians are loyal to the brands they know, but we need to be able to show our product. I believe we could ship two to five containers a year to Brazil,” he said.

The general manager for Carthagenna International Trading, also from Tunis, Ines Ben Ghorbal brought products that are not available on the Brazilian market yet, like a cocoa-based morning cereal that is made only in Tunisia. Pastas and couscous made in the North African country are also in the portfolio of the company, which is attending the fair for the first time.
Marcos Carrieri/ANBA
imagem.kmf

Ghorbal: competitive pricing to gain a foothold

“We started out by exporting to European countries like Belgium and France and now we also sell to Morocco. We are working to export more, and we believe in the Brazilian market’s potential. The products we work with have good quality and good pricing. They are competitive,” Ghorbal said.

The co-founder and local representative of Morocco’s Global Olives, Karim Sebti represents manufacturers of olive oil, olives, argan oil for cosmetics manufacturing, and honey. “There is a demand for business between Brazil and Morocco to grow. Here at the expo I hope to gain better knowledge of the industry, to keep in touch with the major wholesalers, and to see how the food gets distributed. Ours is a high value-added product, and we want to use it to develop the Morocco brand,” he said.

Tunisian promotion

Representatives of the Tunisian government are also in Brazil this week. At Apas, the deputy general manager of the Center for Export Promotion (Cepex, in the French acronym), Riadh Attia, said that the North African country has in place a policy of diversifying exports destinations. He noted that the country exports 70% of its products to Europe, but is betting on business with Brazil due to the good relations between the two nations. Attia pointed out, however, that the Tunisians products still need to gain visibility here.

Marcos Carrieri/ANBA
imagem.kmf

Apas fair: opportunities for suppliers and wholesalers

“We brought companies last year and now we have a bigger share. We want to conquer market share here, we know that olive oil sales are increasing and that there are opportunities. On the other hand, there are great opportunities to invest in Tunisia, which offers access to Africa and can be an important partner to investors”, declared the Cepex executive.

The Arab Chamber Foreign Trade vice president and honorary consul of Tunisia in São Paulo, Rubens Hannun, said that businessmen and representatives of the Tunisian government seek to expand business with Brazil in a moment of recovery of the business council Brazil-Tunisia, which was created in 2002. “They are inclined [to export and import] and Brazil is a strategic country. This relationship has room to grow because the Tunisians have great products. But this effort needs to have continuity”, he pointed out.

Agência de Notícias Brasil-Árabe

Appetite grows for food trade between Latin America and the Middle East
By Lucinda Elliott

ca4450f8-9b40-41ad-aa25-b98a3258c9e3.img
©Reuters
Exports beefed up: a Uruguayan cattle farmer on his ranch at Cerro Colorado, 170km northeast of Montevideo

Peruvian asparagus, Uruguayan halal beef and frozen chickens from Brazil are some of the growing list of exports from Latin America to the Middle East. Egyptian dried apricots and chemical fertilisers from Saudi Arabia are among the items going in the opposite direction.

Volumes are still relatively small, accounting for less than 2 per cent of both of the regions’ international commerce. But over the past decade, trade flows between the two regions have been expanding quickly.

Part of this trend reflects a diversification of links and the emergence of new markets for Latin America. But the Middle East is also becoming an important trading partner in its own right.

In fact, according to the Caracas-based Latin American and Caribbean Economic System (Sela), a trade organisation, the increase in Latin American trade with the Middle East has been faster than with any other region.

Commodities dominate bilateral commerce. From the Middle East, Latin America obtains refined oil and chemicals, while foodstuffs take the reverse journey.

Latin America’s prowess as an agricultural producer is helping power the export drive. Last year, Brazilian food exports to the Arab countries reached a record 17m tonnes, with sugar and meat generating revenues of almost $5bn, according to the Arab-Brazilian Chamber of Commerce. Argentina’s exports of grains, cereals and other primary goods to the region earned $1.6bn last year, up from $1.3bn in 2012.

Uruguayan beef and dairy exports to the region have grown 125 per cent in two years.

Meanwhile, construction materials, high-quality cotton and fruit, such as grapes and avocados from Peru, now make up almost a fifth of the country’s exports to the United Arab Emirates, up from practically nothing five years ago.

More elaborate items for export, from footwear and textiles to cosmetics and bulldozers, have also helped advance trade with the Middle East, and are part of a wider push to expand Latin America’s exports beyond the dominant commodities label.

Much of the meat exported is fresh product, butchered in accordance with halal requirements
Emirates, Etihad, Qatar and El Al Airways have all introduced nonstop flights from a number of Arab capitals to the Brazilian megacity of São Paulo. Royal Air Maroc starts direct flights from Casablanca this year.

Traffic has been growing quickly and both Emirates and Etihad have extended their routes to Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro.

According to research from the International Air Transport Association (Iata) traffic has increased 70 per cent since Emirates launched the first direct flight, and Panama recently signed an open skies agreement with the UAE.

Certification and regulatory obstacles still cause hiccups. A case of mad cow disease detected in an animal in the southern Brazilian state of Paraná led Saudi Arabia to suspend all beef imports in 2012.

That suspension is still in place, with Saudi imports of Brazilian meat falling 23 per cent in the year to May 2014.

But some of the other problems are being tackled. Much of the meat exported by Latin America is fresh product, butchered in accordance with halal requirements. Certification agencies – which also provide labelling in Arabic – are opening across a number of countries.

“We’ve already exported 4m tonnes of food products in the first quarter of this year. It’s booming,” says Michel Alaby, general manager of the São Paulo-based Arab-Brazilian Chamber of Commerce.

Gulf countries are currently investing millions in technology to improve their own domestic agriculture sources and provide much- needed food security for the region.

But, with its abundant land and willingness to engage with new partners, Latin America is already being served at the Arab dinner table.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/5a0be580-f856-11e3-815f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3ZMbQ5fHO

ARAB DELEGATION WENT TO BRAZIL FOR BILATERAL TALKS
George Stewart | May 21, 2015

World Trade

Open Eyes Opinion {source:WAM}

High-profile Arab diplomatic mission visits Brazil for bilateral talks
800px-Amazonas_floating_village%2C_Iquitos%2C_Photo_by_Sascha_Grabow.jpg

DUBAI — A high-profile Arab delegation recently went on a diplomatic mission to Amazonas, the largest state in Brazil, to explore trade and investment opportunities between Brazil and Arab countries, the Arab-Brazilian Chamber of Commerce (ABCC) has announced.

The Governor of Amazonas, Jose Melo de Oliveira (Pros) hosted the delegation which comprised diplomats from 15 Arab countries and the League of Arab States. The Arab delegation also met Arthur Virgilio Neto, the Mayor of Manaus, the capital of Amazonas, during their visit.

Among the highlights of the visit were a meeting with local businessmen from the Federation of Industries of the State of Amazonas (FIEAM) and a seminar on the investment and business options between Manaus and the Arab Nations that took place at the FIEAM’s headquarters.

Amazonas is a very resourceful state with unexplored wealth and offers the right opportunities for the Arab region to enhance their business ties with Brazil.

Dr. Michel Alaby, Secretary General and CEO, Arab-Brazilian Chamber of Commerce, said, “The diplomatic mission from Arab countries to the Brazilian state of Amazonas was facilitated by the Arab-Brazilian Chamber of Commerce since we believe that such strategic visits are highly effective in building bridges and consolidating bilateral ties between the two regions.

We are confident that after the success of the visit, the investment at various levels will continue to grow and seek new possibilities of trade between Brazil and the Arab region. Brazil remains an active business partner for the Arab nations with US$13.4 billion worth of exports to the region, comprising primarily food stuff and commodities and US$11.4 billion of imports last year of mainly oil and oil products and fertilisers.”

In 2014, Amazonas exported US$3.2 million worth of products to Arab countries while exports were at US$492,000 as of Q1 2015. Though exports mainly consisted of motorcycles, they also included radios and televisions, rectifiers, shaving blades, stamping press, and mobile telephony terminals. On the other hand, the Brazilian state imported US$17 million worth of products over the past year and US$ 7.8 million in Q1 2015.

While Amazonas exported mainly to Egypt, the UAE and Morocco, it imported largely from the KSA, Qatar, Egypt, and the UAE.

Arab Delegation Went To Brazil For Bilateral Talks | Openeyesopinion.com

Old story but quite telling.

99-year-old Arab immigrant in Brazil vows support for Algeria at World Cup
4d503db0-5082-4b57-847c-fadd667bd61f_16x9_600x338.jpg

Adib Daoud, 99, who was born in the town of Jebrayel in Lebanon’s Akkar district, never went back to his hometown since his departure in 1929. (Al Arabiya)

By Staff writer | Al Arabiya News
Monday, 9 June 2014
While Lebanon will not be playing in the 2014 World Cup, one of its citizens - who is allegedly one of the first immigrants of Lebanese origin in Brazil - has vowed to support Algeria, the only Arab country to participate in football’s biggest tournament.

Adib Daoud, 99, who was born in the town of Jebrayel in Lebanon’s Akkar district, never went back to his hometown since his departure in 1929. He currently lives in the Brazilian city of Uberlândia.

“I promise you, I will cheer for it [Algeria], of course… we are Arabs and there’s a blood bond,” Daoud told Al Arabiya News Channel on Monday.

No longer fluent
During the interview, Daoud, who insisted on speaking in Arabic even though he is no longer very fluent, said that the Brazilian team Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras was the only team he ever cheered for.

The team, with its nickname of “Verdao” which means green in Portuguese, ironically shares the same color of the Algerian football national team.

Daoud, who is about to turn 100, has survived both his wife and parents and lives by himself.

He says he spends much of his time sleeping or watching television.

Last Update: Monday, 9 June 2014 KSA 20:21 - GMT 17:21

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/var...il-vows-support-for-Algeria-at-World-Cup.html

Lecture: "The Opportunity of the Arab Market and the New Consumer"
from Arab Brazilian Chamber PLUS 2 weeks ago ALL AUDIENCES
In lecture promoted by the Arab Brazilian Chamber, its vice-president of Foreign Trade, Rubens Hannun, shows an Arab world with 361.2 million people and 69% of Population under 34 years, an age range that has a stronger influence when choosing brands and products.

The Arab World and Latin America: Economic and Political Relations in the Twenty-First Century: Vol. 75
Fehmy Saddy
With the growing importance of emerging markets the focus of analysts has begun to concentrate on the contribution of Latin America and the Middle East to the global economy, and the relations between these two regions. This has become ever more important with the trend in Latin America to diversify their trade relations and establish closer economic and political ties with other emerging economies, including the Middle East and North African (MENA) countries. The Arab World and Latin America examines the relations between these two regions, highlighting the often-overlooked cultural similarities, as well as exploring the political and economic ties that are being developed. As relations with and between countries in the Global South become ever more important for trade and investment, both politically and economically, this volume offers vital analyses for researchers of international relations as well as the politics and culture of the Middle East and Latin America.

The Arab World and Latin America: Economic and Political Relations in the Twenty-First Century: Vol. 75

Another interesting article below although some of the statistics/numbers are inaccurate.

The Arab Latinos in the US - Hispanic Culture | Latino Culture | Latin American Culture

Arabs Making Their Mark in Latin America: Generations of Immigrants in Colombia, Venezuela and Mexico

By Habeeb Salloum.
Nashara al-Islam bi-khawafiq al-alam” [“Islam spread under waving banners”]. I could not believe my eyes as I read these words etched in Arabic on a church bell preserved in the Palacio de la Inquisición in Cartagena, Colombia’s foremost resort. It was dated 1317 A.D. and presumably brought to this former Spanish colony by early settlers from the Iberian Peninsula who thought the inscription was only a decoration. Little did they realize that this remnant of the Spanish Moors, who had been forcibly converted to Christianity then shipped to the Spanish colonies in South America, was a statement of pride by a defeated people.

Thinking of this bell as I walked down Avenue Saint Martin, the main street of Bocagrande, Cartagena’s tourist section, the signHeladeria y Repositeria Arabe” caught my eye. Excited, I entered the tidy-looking ice cream parlor. “Are you an Arab? Do you have Arab ice cream?” I asked, first in Arabic then in English. The girl behind the cash register shrugged her shoulders, not understanding a word.

In the ensuing days of travel through a number of Colombian coastal cities I found that the bell with its Arabic inscription and the sign “Heladeria Arabe” truly reflected the remains of the converted Moors, exiled to the colonies, and the Arab immigrants who had come in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Both groups passed on but left their traces behind.

During the first years after the Spaniards landed in South America, a fair number of the settlers were former Muslims of Spain who had been required to convert to Christianity. A hundred years after their conversion, they were still not fully accepted as true Christians, and many of them were sent to the new Spanish colonies. Still yearning for the life of their ancestors, they preserved a good number of traditions inherited from their Arab forefathers. Hence, when the first immigrants from the Greater Syria area came, they found a people with which they had much in common.

At the turn of the century, the Syrian newcomers, mostly from a peasant or working class background, landed on the shores of a land still living in the medieval world. With hardly any roads or the other amenities of our modern age, these first immigrants used the coastal rivers as roads to trade with the inhabitants of the primitive and isolated villages. With great determination, hard work, and the mercantile traits which they had inherited from their forefathers, they prospered and eventually opened their own businesses in Colombia’s Caribbean coastal towns. Due to their resourcefulness, those who settled in the villages of the countryside were admired and respected by the local inhabitants. However, in the cities, the locals derogatorily called the Syrian newcomers “Turcos,” looking down on them while envying their success.

When the Syrians made some money, most brought brides from their homeland. Only a minority wed Colombian women, including a few from the Guajira Indian tribe. Trying to improve their lives in a land beset by feuding, revolutions and poverty, they had little time to teach their offspring about their Arab culture. In the subsequent years, due to their work-filled lives, the Arabic tongue was almost lost to the Colombian born generations.

The society to which the Arabs came in the late 19th and early 20th centuries reinforced the almost total loss of the language. The church was all-powerful and every inhabitant had to fit into the narrow view of the Spanish-Catholic world of that time.

I asked George Baladi, a longtime immigrant living in Cartagena, if there were any Muslims among the early Arabs in Colombia. He replied, “I am told that five Muslim families from Tripoli, in present day Lebanon, had come with the early immigrants, but they all had to become Christian.”

Baladi, one of the few who has preserved his heritage, and is the representative of the Federacion des Entidades Arabes en Las Americas in Colombia, went on to say that in earlier times one had to be baptized to work and to become a Colombian. Hence, Muslims had to hide their identity. Only much later laws gave freedom and equality to all creeds. Today, there is no problem for people wishing to live under the religion of their choice.

The earliest known Syrian immigrant to Colombia is believed to be the Damascene Salim Abu Chaar who arrived by ship in 1885; a good number of others soon followed. The second wave came in the 1920s. The descendants of these first two waves of Syrian immigrants are now involved in every facet of Colombian life. Many are well-educated and they can be found in all professions. A few hold high positions in the armed forces, while others are pillars in the business community.

In the political arena, the Arab immigrants have also left an impressive mark. Gabriel Turbay ran for president in 1946, and Julio César Turbay Ayallah, born to an Arab father and Colombian mother, served as president of the country from 1978 to 1982. When first elected he is reported to have stood up in Parliament and declared that he was proud to be of Arab descent.

At any one time, there are from 20 to 30 members of Parliament and the Senate who are of Arab origin. It is estimated that there are over a quarter of a million Colombians of Arab descent — almost all tracing their origins to Syria, Lebanon and Palestine. The vast majority live along the Caribbean coastline; Barranquilla has the largest number of Arabs in the country. Since it is a large commercial center, it drew many Arab immigrants who have built a huge community center which is the envy of the other communities.

One of the oldest of the other communities is in Cartagena, 136 km to the west of Barranquilla. In this city, once known as the “Gateway to El Dorado,” there are only about 2,000 Arab Colombians, but they are very influential. Even though they are a small minority in a city of 900,000, a good number of the these emigrés and their descendants are prominent in all its avenues of life.

In this city, the Arabs have built a center, called Club Union, reflecting the unity of the Syrians and Lebanese in Cartagena. With restaurants and numerous recreation facilities, it offers a home away from home for the residents of Arab origin. The Arabs are the only organized ethnic community in the city and, according to Elias Daffach, owner of the restaurant La Olla Cartagena, they are well respected by the other Colombians.

In spite of their small number and almost total assimilation, the Arabs have left a significant mark on Colombian society. In every city where they reside, restaurants and cafes proudly display the nameRestaurante Arabe or Comida Arabe. The Arab dishes, kubbah, shish kabab, taboula, tahini, and all types of pies stuffed with cheese, meat, sweets, and vegetables are well-known among the Colombians. Many Colombians have come to think of these delicacies as their own foods, and a good number of these dishes are sold frozen in almost all markets.

Strangely enough, even though the Arab immigrants’ descendants have lost their tongue and most of their traditions, they still form social clubs, and about 25 percent marry within the Arab community.

ARABS IN VENEZUELA

I feasted in the restaurant of the Centro Sirio Venezolano (Syrian Venezuelan Center) on the tastiest kababs which I had ever eaten. The cook, hailing from Aleppo, had done a superb job. No meal, even in his home town, could have been more satisfying than this dinner in one of Venezuela’s top resorts.

All around me in the outdoor restaurant and by the swimming pool, about 1,000 out of the 8,000 Arabs who reside in the town of Puerto La Cruz and the adjoining city of Barcelona were eating and playing backgammon, bingo, cards or dominos. Others were watching Arabic videos or chatting while all around, masses of children played and shouted.

Above this din, I could barely hear the taped voice of Umm Khalthum, singing of a lost love. This vibrant community had built the most magnificent of all the clubs in Santa Cruz. Unlike in many other urban centers where Arabs have immigrated, in this town the Syrian community had founded a home where they could meet, socialize, and at the same time keep their heritage alive.

Credit for the effort and success of establishing the top ethnic center in Venezuela—some say in all of South America—is due, in a large part, to a few dedicated men, mostly from Aleppo, Syria. They were mainly part of the huge Syrian migration to Venezuela which took place during the oil boom of the 1950s. These newcomers scattered throughout the country and are the core of today’s 400,000 Syrians living in Venezuela.

Almost every town and village which had missed having Arab settlers from the earlier immigrations, which began in the late 1880s, now has at least one Arab family. They have joined the approximately 500,000 prior immigrants and their descendants, reinforcing Arab culture amongst the older Arab community which had been almost totally assimilated.

The center, even though it was almost entirely built by the Syrian community, accepts membership from all Arabs, regardless of their country of origin or religious affiliation. Arab students, not only from Puerto La Cruz, but from other parts of the country, are given free membership.

LEBANESE IN MEXICO

Arabs who emigrated in the early 1900s from the Ottoman province of Syria, part of which is now Lebanon, to the Yucatán, then a poor area of Mexico, had primarily come from poor villages themselves, and, like their compatriots in the other parts of the Americas, began their lives in the New World as peddlers. Remarkably, soon after reaching Mexico’s shores, they did well.

Today, about 30 percent of Mérida’s commercial life is controlled by the descendants of these early Arab immigrants. However, the vast majority have totally assimilated into Mexican society and retain virtually no connection with their Arab past.

Despite the prevalent assimilation, a good number of these former Syrian-Lebanese have preserved a pride in their heritage, and today form a close-knit community. Even though a fair number only retain the food of their forefathers and a faint recollection of their ancestors’ origins, they are the driving force behind the Lebanese community and its impressive club.

The Lebanese in Mérida organized in the latter part of this century. Their first community center was a rented hall on 63rd Street, in the heart of town. Later, a number of the affluent members donated money to build a clubhouse on the outskirts of the city; the center is now the attractive and prestigious Lebanese Club, drawing the admiration of all Méridans.

I spoke with Michel Jacabo Eljure, whose father emigrated from the district of Qura, located in present-day Lebanon. He is a retired businessman who owned a ranch in the Yucatán. He spoke Arabic well and was familiar with the history of the Arabs in Mérida. According to him, even though the Lebanese were only 1 percent of the city’s 1.5 million population, they controlled 30 percent of the commercial and industrial establishments. As for religion, he explained that the Lebanese were originally evenly divided between Maronite and Orthodox Christians. Today, they are all Roman Catholics with only about 20 families still practicing the Orthodox rites. From time to time, a priest travels from Mexico City to administer to these few families’ needs.

With the tolerance of peoples to others in mind, I asked Michel, “Why is it that in countries like Canada, multicultural societies are encouraged and here in Mexico it’s total assimilation?” He replied, “Our society is montholitic. We want everyone to be Roman Catholic and speak Spanish. In our community only about 20 people still read Arabic.”

He continued, “As for our food, it’s another matter. Even a great number of the non- Lebanese in Mérida cook in their homes our kubbah, grape leaves and other Arabic foods. At least we contributed some of our heritage to Mexico - now our beloved homeland.”

This essay appeared in Al Jadid, Vol. 6, no. 30 (Winter 2000)

Copyright © 2000 by Al Jadid

- See more at: Arabs Making Their Mark in Latin America: Generations of Immigrants in Colombia, Venezuela and Mexico | Al Jadid Magazine

Interview: Latin America's dynamic Palestinian communities

NOV. 28, 2013 7:44 P.M. (UPDATED: MAY 20, 2015 6:46 P.M.)

332959C.jpg

By: Charlie Hoyle​

BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- The Palestinian diaspora in Latin America represents an undocumented story of success, with Latin Americans of Palestinian descent holding positions of power and influence in the political and business classes of their respective countries.

Ma'an interviewed Cecilia Baeza, Doctor of Political Science at Sciences Po Paris and co-founder of RIMAAL, to discuss the history of Palestinian emigration to Latin America, a chapter of the Palestinian narrative often overlooked.

Below is an edited transcript of a conversation between Ma'an and Baeza.

How large is the Palestinian community in Latin America?

Latin Americans of Palestinian descent claim today to be around 700,000, making it the largest Palestinian presence outside the Arab world. There is no single Latin American country where one cannot find Palestinians, but Chile and Honduras are by far the first in terms of numbers, with at least 350,000 and 280,000 people of Palestinian origin, respectively. In those countries, Palestinians are mostly third and fourth-generation immigrants from the region of Bethlehem. In Brazil, by contrast, one can find a majority of first and second generations. The majority arrived from the region of Ramallah in the 1950's or after the Six-Day War. Brazilian-Palestinians are today around 60,000, a small number compared to the 15 million Brazilians of Lebanese and Syrian descent.

What is the current political and economic status of the descendants of Palestinian immigrants?

The integration of Latin Americans of Palestinian descent has not only been successful on a professional and economic level, it is also deeply culturally rooted. Latin Americans of Palestinian descent are seen as fully-fledged citizens by their fellow nationals and fully identify themselves with the countries where they live. The presence of politicians of Palestinian descent at every level of politics in their countries is an evidence of that.

Palestinians have been elected city mayors since the 1920's. Wadi Damas was the mayor of La Romana in the Dominican Republic from 1923 to 1928 before coming back to Beit Jala where he became mayor in 1944. The first Minister of Palestinian descent was Rafael Tarud Siwady, appointed Minister of Economy and Commerce in Chile in 1953. Since the late 1990s, Palestinians in Latin America have even reached the highest levels of political representation, with Carlos Flores Facuss, President of Honduras from 1998 to 2002, Elas Saca Gonzalez, President of El Salvador from 2004 to 2009, Said Wilbert Musa, Prime Minister of Belize from 1998 to 2008, and Yehude Simon Munaro, Prime Minister of Peru from 2008 to 2009.

The descendants of Palestinian immigrants are part of the middle and upper classes. Some of them are among the top businessmen of their respective countries. Others have won renown in the fields of medicine, journalism, or the arts.

332960C.jpg

Father Francisco Salvador, a Chilean priest of Palestinian descent,
displays his grandfather's wooden box of Palestinian soil. (CNEWA/Tomas Munita)​

How do Palestinian communities in Latin America relate to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

The mobilization of Palestinian emigrants for the Palestinian cause dates as far back as the 1930s, when emigrants in Latin America collected funds to be sent to the families of martyrs in the Arab Revolt. Mobilization for the Palestinian cause has never ceased over generations, even though its intensity has varied according to periods and countries.

In 1984, Latin Americans of Palestinian descent organized themselves by creating the COPLAC, Confederation of Palestinian entities of Latin America and the Caribbean, whose first congress took place in So Paulo, Brazil. Eleven representatives from Latin America were designated to be members of the Palestinian National Congress of the PLO.

After the decline of those movements during the decade of the 1990s - when the Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process gave a sense of hope that a solution was finally within reach - the mobilization started again at the beginning of the 2000s in the aftermath of the Second Intifada.

Palestinian-Chileans lead this movement in Latin America. The Palestinian Federation of Chile, GUPS-Chile and other organizations were revived, and new institutions were created, like the Palestine Bethlehem 2000 Foundation, a charity founded by wealthy businessmen that also does cultural work towards the community.

332958C.jpg

The club emblem of Club Deportivo Palestino, a Chilean
football team founded by Palestinian immigrants in the 1920's.​

How has the sense of Palestinian identity changed over time?

The first change occurred in the 1920s. Until 1920, emigrants from Palestine used to mention alternatively four focuses of identity: their hometown - in this case, Bethlehem, Beit Jala or Beit Sahour; Syria, in the sense of Bilad al-Sham; their religion, mainly Orthodox Christianity; and finally, their Arabness. References to Palestine were rare, while the identification with the Ottoman Empire was almost nonexistent.

In 1920, the Club Deportivo Palestino, a professional football club, was founded in Santiago de Chile: the name of the club - Palestino - and the colors of the football jersey - those of the Palestinian flag - were clearly a nationalist reference. This new identification gained momentum from 1924. Between 1924 and 1939, dozens of organizations with a direct and unique reference to Palestine were founded all across Latin America.

The decade of the 1930s witnessed the development of a very dynamic nationalist ethnic press in Latin America. The best examples are Al Islah in Chile, published from 1930 to 1942 and also distributed in Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador, and Rumbos published in Honduras from 1939.

The result of all of this is that, as the end of the 1930s, we have a population who increasingly claimed its belonging to the "Palestinian nation," while they were more than ever intended to settle in their host countries.

However, in the 1970s, with the arrival of the PLO in Latin America, Palestinian identity was revived through a myriad of cultural activities, including dabkeh. Today, Palestinian identity in Chile is more political than cultural, even if certain practices have survived, like food, a vector maybe less powerful than language and religion, but that produced and embodied feelings of connection with Palestine.

Every Latin American of Palestinian descent will always start speaking about its Palestinian identity with souvenirs of lunches at the grandparents' place, eating maqluba, stuffed marrows and eggplants.

332957C.jpg

Chile Square in the Palestinian town of Beit Jala. A stone in the center
of the square reads in Spanish:"The Republic of Chile, to her sons of
Palestinian origin, on the occasion of the commemoration of the second
centenary of our national independence. Palestine, September 2010."

How do Palestinian communities in Latin America relate to the major issues of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

The dominant narrative among Palestinians in Latin America takes up the major themes of official Palestinian nationalism, such as the Nakba, Jerusalem, refugees, the right of return, the dismantlement of settlements, etc. They defend exactly the same positions as the PLO and the Palestinian authority. Some identify more with the historical Palestinian Left, the PFLP, and others with Fatah, but of course, there is no identification with Hamas since the overwhelming majority of them are Christians.

In the construction of their identity, the very notion of "return" doesn't have the same meaning and importance for Palestinians in Latin America that it can have for refugees. Considering that they already are first-class citizens of their countries of residence, with which they also fully identify as nationals, a process of massive return to a future state of Palestine would not make any sense, at least for now.

However, there is indeed the individual desire of some of them to go to Palestine, for personal reasons that range from identity to political aspirations. If Israeli authorities were not making it almost impossible for foreigners to come to live in the occupied territories, I am pretty sure that many more young Latin Americans of Palestinian descent would travel to Palestine.

What role can the Latin American Palestinian diaspora play in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

In my opinion, Palestinians in Latin America can play several roles. Politically, they can lobby their governments for stronger support to the Palestinians. They are already doing this. Their mobilization partly explains the wave of recognition of the Palestinian State by almost all Latin American countries.

This kind of support is important for balancing the pro-Israeli bias of US foreign policy in multilateral organizations, like UNESCO, the UN General Assembly, etc. Economically, the wealthiest businessmen can bring their financial support to important projects and institutions. Some are already contributing to the development of the University of Bethlehem. This is good, but more could probably be done, not only in terms of charity but also in terms of productive investments.

At the level of ideas, intellectuals and artists of Palestinian descent could play a greater role. We have not seen the emergence of a Latin American Edward Said yet, and I think it is a pity because their Latin American experience could certainly enrich the political debate in Palestine.

Baeza recently spoke at The Palestine Center and the Institute for Palestine Studies in a talk entitled: "Palestinians in Latin America: Between Assimilation and Long-distance Nationalism."

Interview: Latin America's dynamic Palestinian communities

Saudi Arabia Donates Dates for Thousands of School Children in Nicaragua

Published on 16 April 2015

IMG_2848%20(640x427)%20(Small).jpg

Representatives of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and officials from the Ministry of Education and WFP at the donation ceremony.​

MANAGUA – Thousands of children attending pre-school and primary school in Nicaragua are to receive dates in their school meals thanks to a contribution from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP).

Around 156,000 children will benefit from this second contribution of dates from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to WFP in Nicaragua in the past three years.

The KSA government is donating a total of 72 metric tons valued at US$167,000. The dates will complement the Nicaragua Ministry of Education’s Integral School Nutrition Programme for children in 12 municipalities of Jinotega and the Autonomous Region of the Northern Caribbean (RANC).

WFP received the donation during a formal ceremony today and attended by two representatives of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: Saad Bin Abdulaziz Al-Sunaidi, an official of the Ministry of Finance and Mohammad Alkadi, Second Secretary of the Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Mexico. Miriam Ráudez Ministry of Education, Salvador Vanegas, Advisor to the President for Education issues, Mohamed Lasthar, Advisor to the President for International issues and Norma Ortiz, Director of PINE for School Meal Programme.

"This new contribution of dates from Saudi Arabia allows us to add a highly nutritious food to children’s school meals in Nicaragua," said WFP Deputy Representative, Marc Regnault de la Mothe. "It's a great gesture of solidarity by the Kingdom and the Saudi people to share with Nicaragua the benefit of these sweet fruits that have an ancient cultural, historical and religious value".

Dates, which are a palm fruit produced by Asia and North Africa, have high calorific content and provide energy. They also help reduce anemia because they are high in iron, thiamin and riboflavin. Rich in sugars and carbohydrates, dates help improve mental alertness, concentration and strength after physical activity.

IMG_0616%20%28640x427%29.jpg

Nicaragua was the first country in Latin America to introduce dates to children through the school meals programme. In 2013, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia made its first contribution of 136 metric tons of dates worth US$266,000.

A campaign was initiated to promote dates and facilitate cultural acceptance of this new food. These fruits generated great interest among Nicaraguans who were eager to sample them.

Saudi Arabia is one of the largest producers of dates worldwide. After being harvested from the palm, the fruits are dried in the sun. One hundred grams of dates provide about 270 calories and contain the same nutritional value as a steak. Natural, eaten either ripe or dried, they are preserved in their own sugar and used to prepare sauces, pastries and cakes.

# # #

WFP is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. Each year, WFP assists some 80 million people in around 75 countries.

For more information, please contact:
Sabrina Quezada Ardila, WFP/Nicaragua. Tel 505 2278 4982, cel. 505 8930 2987
sabrina.quezada@wfp.org

Saudi Arabia Donates Dates for Thousands of School Children in Nicaragua | WFP | United Nations World Food Programme - Fighting Hunger Worldwide

Last edited:
An interesting webpage on Arab-Latin American + Carribean cooperation.

Council on Arab World Relations with Latin America and The Caribbean – CARLAC

Also what happened with the Summit of South American - Arab countries? There has not been held a single summit since 2012. I imagine it's due to the conflicts in Syria, Iraq, Yemen and Libya.

Summit of South American-Arab Countries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It should kickstart as soon as possible.

Both the South American/Latin and Arab market are untapped markets when it comes to mutual relations with each other.

Cuba and Saudi Arabia sign important economic agreement

Signing the accord were Cuban Minister of Foreign Trade and Investment Rodrigo Malmierca Díaz and Ahmed M. Al-Ghannam, director general of the Saudi Development Fund's export program

Author: Ernesto J. Gómez Figueredo | internet@granma.cu

july 26, 2016 10:07:45

f0013115.jpg

Signing economic agreements between Saudi Arabia and Cuba were Ahmed M. Al Gahnnam, director general of the Saudi Development Fund's export program, and Rodrigo Malmierca, minister of Foreign Trade and Investment.Photo: Yaimí Ravelo​

On July 21, Cuban Minister of Foreign Trade and Investment Rodrigo Malmierca Díaz and Ahmed M. Al-Ghannam, director general of the Saudi Development Fund's export program, signed two important agreements in the economic arena.

The first involves a Saudi loan to finance a project in the city of Cárdenas to rehabilitate the water supply and treatment system. The Development Fund will provide a long term advance of 120 million Saudi riyals (29.1 million USD) annually to construct a new main conduit and distribution networks to allow the distribution of potable water throughout the city located in the province of Matanzas.

The new water infrastructure is linked to a secure source and will contribute to maintaining a sanitary supply to the city, as well as improve storm drainage, according to the document signed in the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Investment's Havana headquarters.

Cuba' has the experienced technical personnel to complete the work, but needs financial support for the acquisition of materials, equipment, components, and spare parts for heavy vehicles, the document notes.

Malmierca reported that also planned are the construction of a storm sewer system and a waste water treatment plant.

"Cuba's collaboration with the Fund began in 2010; the signing of these accords testifies to the will of both parties to continue with the economic collaboration," he added.

The other agreement signed July 21 addressed the provision of credit for Cuba to import Saudi products.

This will be done via the Development Fund's Saudi Exports Program, which will facilitate the acquisition of approximately 50 million dollars worth of goods.

The Saudi director, Al-Ghannam, for his part said that the agreements signed are meant to consolidate commercial and financial cooperation between the two countries, and reaffirmed the Development Fund's intention of strengthening relations with Cuba.

The loan agreement is the fourth signed by the Saudi Fund and the third linked to the development of water supply infrastructure in Cuba, while the commercial credit agreement is the first of its kind.

Also attending the signing ceremony were Cuba's ambassador in Saudi Arabia, Enrique Enríquez, and the Saudi chargé d'affaires in Havana, Abdulkareen M. A. Helal.

http://en.granma.cu/cuba/2016-07-26/cuba-and-saudi-arabia-sign-important-economic-agreement

KEVIN FUNK, JUN 15 2016, 171 VIEWS
The Arab World and Latin America: Economic and Political Relations in the Twenty-First Century
Edited by Fehmy Saddy
I.B. Tauris, 2016

Though Latin America and the Arab world have long been linked by migration, cultural similarities, and at times a “Third World” geopolitical project, it is only in the current millennium that these ties have been accompanied by serious efforts to build sustainable political and economic relations. In the past decade, Arab-Latin American trade has increased several times over, while then-president of Brazil Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva inaugurated an ongoing series of Arab-South American summits, the first ever between the regions. Diplomatic involvement—again, led by Brazil—in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the arrival of thousands of Syrian refugees to Latin America, and the establishment of direct flights have brought the regions even closer (Funk 2013).

Accompanying this real-world shift, several recent English-language works have sought to interrogate today’s Arab-Latin American encounters, focusing on diverse facets such as Brazil’s protagonism (Amar 2014), Islam (Logroño 2015), and the substantial political-economic role that the many Latin Americans of Arab descent play in their respective societies (Karam 2007).[1] Published in the context of these heady times of blossoming relations and increasing academic production, The Arab World and Latin America, edited by longtime observer Fehmy Saddy, promises to deliver a broad and comprehensive analysis of Arab-Latin American “economic and political relations in the 21st century,” as well as to suggest avenues for their continuing development. Yet while several of the (particularly earlier) chapters do bring to the fore important insights, as a whole this volume unfortunately does not live up to these important tasks.

As the editor of one of (if not) the first English-language books on Arab-Latin American relations – the 1983 volume Arab-Latin American Relations: Energy, Investment and Trade—Saddy is well situated to compile contributions that provide a systematic and historically informed overview of their trajectory, current status, and future possibilities. And indeed, with a policymaking audience in mind, he is keen to suggest that his aim is not merely to analyse, but to “promot[e]” these ties (xxviii). To that end, contributors include not only the usual cast of academics, but also a diverse crew of “policy makers, former officials, scientists, [and] business leaders” (xxviii). Notably (and impressively), many of them hail from the regions under consideration. This represents a welcome departure from the typical Global North academic practice of privileging Northern voices even when discussing the South.

Saddy’s core claim, which he expresses in the introductory chapter, is that there have been “recent shifts in the global political and economic power structures” (8) – namely, globalisation and U.S. decline – that have undermined Washington’s control of peripheral regions and set the stage for an “emerging global order” (24). This new scenario is defined, apparently, by the decentralisation of international relations and accompanying flourishing of South-South ties. In turn, as he notes, such “cooperation between Arab and Latin America [sic] countries, particularly the more advanced ones, presents a more viable alternative to their traditional relationships with the West” (11). He goes on to suggest that, “[t]his cooperation is based on the premise [of] self-reliance and sharing development experiences, as equal partners” (11).

Though much of the rest of the chapter does indeed provide, as promised, a palatable overview of Arab-Latin American relations, one could certainly question the assumptions underlying the above assertions. For example, are Arab-Latin American relations really based on a spirit of “cooperation” – a frequently used word in the text? Do the actors involved actually see and treat each other as “equal partners”? Are these relations indeed “a more viable alternative” to those with the U.S. and Europe? And if so, how? Regrettably, and without seeking to imply that this analysis is necessarily misguided, Saddy says little to support these and other contentions.

In a larger sense, given his appropriately strident assertion in a later chapter that “Brazil is still defined by…a culture of deep-seated greed perpetuated by privileged political and business elites” (158), as has indeed been borne out by the country’s recent crises, it is unclear why precisely Saddy is so sanguine about Arab-Latin American relations in the first place. For who else but Brazil’s “privileged political and business elites” are responsible for their rise?

Perhaps unsurprisingly, there is some amount of dissonance between Saddy’s assertion that these relations are part of an “emerging global order” and the arguments made in other chapters. Note, for example, Arezki Daoud’s observation that inter-regional trade remains “marginal” (210), or Cecilia Baeza and Elena Lazarou’s conclusion that, rhetoric aside, “[c]ultural and educational cooperation [between the regions] is in fact quite disappointing” (57).

To be clear, the relatively substantial growth in Arab-Latin American ties on various fronts – political, economic, cultural, and so on – is a real phenomenon and is certainly worthy of attention from scholars and practitioners alike. Yet these relations are still clearly inchoate and have much room to grow. And crucially, Saddy’s optimism aside, many of the other contributors suggest that there may not be sufficient political will for them to reach their immediate potential. Though the volume, in line with its stated purpose, does offer some suggestions for how to advance them – for example, develop “a complex network of effective rules and institutions” (91), put together “a privately financed fund for initiatives in culture,” and offer “fellowships and scholarships for interregional educational and research exchanges” (63-64) – overall there is unfortunately too little said in this regard to provide a concrete blueprint for action.

To be sure, Arab-Latin American Relations does feature useful analysis, particularly in the earlier sections. In addition to the introduction, particularly notable chapters include the diplomat Celso Amorim’s “Brazilian perspective” on these relations (chapter 2), Baeza and Lazarou’s analysis of cultural and educational links (chapter 3), and Osvaldo Rosales’ summary of interregional trade (chapter 4).

Yet there are too many detours in the text that are not linked to Arab-Latin American relations in a satisfyingly concrete way, including whole chapters relating to issues such as mining, agriculture, and water resources. Typical is the contribution that includes explorations of seemingly remote topics – “Chilean engineering” (233), “biological nitrogen fixation” (312), “new frontiers in immunological sciences” in Brazil (329) – without much of a clear sense, save for sparse mentions toward the end, about how they relate to the volume’s central themes.

In sum, both policymakers and those with an academic interest in Arab-Latin American relations will find valuable insights in the present volume. But overall, it is likely too scattered, inconsistent, and lacking in detail to satisfy either group.

Nonetheless, one can at least happily observe that much has changed since the early 1980s, when, as Saddy (1983, xi) noted in his aforementioned earlier volume, while “Arab-Latin American relations have grown in the last few years to an unprecedented level[,]…[t]his expansion in political and economic exchange has not received adequate attention in academic institutions or research centres and remains largely unexplored.” Indeed, a growing body of (English-language, Global North) literature is starting to pay attention. Saddy, along with others, has certainly been instrumental in bringing about this welcome and overdue change. Let us hope that future works keep the ball rolling and continue to explore the many linkages between these two seemingly distant regions.

References:

Amar, Paul, ed. 2014. The Middle East and Brazil: Perspectives on the New Global South. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.

Funk, Kevin. 2013. “The Political Economy of South America’s Global South Relations: States, Transnational Capital, and Social Movements.” The Latin Americanist 57(1): 3-20.

Karam, John Tofik. 2007. Another Arabesque: Syrian-Lebanese Ethnicity in Neoliberal Brazil. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.

Logroño Narbona, María del Mar et al., eds. 2015. Crescent over Another Horizon: Islam in Latin America, the Caribbean, and Latino USA. Austin: University of Texas Press.

Saddy, Fehmy, ed. 1983. Arab-Latin American Relations: Energy, Trade, and Investment. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Books.

[1] See also the forthcoming volume: Tawil, Marta, ed. Latin American Foreign Policies towards the Middle East: Actors, Contexts, and Trends. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.

Notably, a much more bountiful and longstanding body of literature on these relations – generally overlooked in Global North academic circles – exists in Spanish and Portuguese. See http://rimaal.org/category/bibliographies/.

http://www.e-ir.info/2016/06/15/review-the-arab-world-and-latin-america/

The Arabs to Our South: The Arab Diaspora in Latin America

POSTED BY JACOB SALIBA ON FEBRUARY 16, 2016 IN BLOG

As Americans inappropriately fear the mass migration of Syrian refugees from their homelands, we, as Arab Americans, must remind our fellow citizenry not just how peaceful we are, but the ways we have contributed to the countries in which we live. The American dream has been so good to many of us and the stories of successful Arab Americans are endless. But what about elsewhere? Are there other places we can point to that affirmatively prove the fear mongers wrong?

Look no further than south of the border. Latin America has the largest Arab population outside of the Middle East. Latin America is home to anywhere from 30 to 40 million people of Arab descent, that’s more than any other diaspora region in the world. While we all know of Shakira, Salma Hayek and the likes, did you know Carlos Slim Helú, the wealthiest man in the world is of Mexican Lebanese nationality? How about the eight presidents, countless parliamentarians and mayors of Arab heritage.

Since the late 19th century, Arabs have been flocking to the region in great waves. Many speculate that originally a mistake, many migrants believed their tickets to the “New World” were going to America. Surprised when they arrived in Spanish and Portuguese port towns, they made the best of their situation. Making the adjustment more manageable, the similar climate, topography and cultural undertones seemed to allow immigrants to integrate at a more rapid pace. Whatever happened, the number of immigrants only grew and their success seemed to follow.

real_hospitals.jpg
From the early onset, communities, mostly from Lebanon, Palestine and Syria, dominated the private sector. Starting with the cotton industry, they rapidly moved to bigger and better professions. Today, they are now known for their large influence in telecommunications, textiles, media outlets, construction and many more. They take on professions like doctors, lawyers, engineers and clergymen. As a result, their successes have earned them an immense amount of favor and support amongst their Latin American communities, enabling them to start social organizations, participate in politics, and culturally influence the states they reside in.

These political organizations, social clubs, religious institutions, and schools given way to generations of giving back to their greater communities. Through building hospitals, constructing soccer stadiums and donating to regional causes, the Arab communities have gained recognition as not only one of the wealthiest or politically active groups, but also one of the most giving.

hospitals.jpg

One of the major contributors to Arabs’ prosperity in Latin America is their large population across the region. In Brazil alone, there are more Lebanese Brazilians (7 million) than in Lebanon itself. Chile is home to the largest Palestinian community outside of the Middle East at a staggering half million. And, while a considerable majority are Christian, several million Arabs in the region are Muslims. In fact, the biggest mosque on either American continent is not in New York, Los Angeles or Chicago, but actually in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Some of these Arab influences are deeper than many natives even notice. In modern culture, countries like Brazil have adopted kibbeh, tabbouleh, hummus and sfiha and made them as Brazilian as pizza and spaghetti are American. In Chile, more people tuned into the season finale of a Turkish soap opera, adored around the Arabic speaking world, than for their World Cup Finale.

sports.jpg
These dynamic examples of Arab participation in Latin America stretching from spheres of business and culture to politics and civil service have created a hub, with whom we should work. In areas of policy, we can work together to partner on issues like tackling anti-Arab and anti-Muslim discrimination and building healthy relations with the Middle East. Culturally, we can learn more about our past, and connect with others in the future. We can bridge networks with millions of Latino Americans who have fond memories of Arabs from their home country. In some states, like California, hundreds of thousands of Arabs can connect with 280,000 more just below the border in Baja California. We can exchange fusion recipes such as tacos árabes or Middle Eastern egg rolls. Given these points, connecting with the diaspora in Latin America will only further our causes, creating a more fruitful conglomerate of Arabs in the New World.

No one can deny Arabs in Latin America are a symbol of pride and inspiration, proving no matter how far or hostile a country may be, the resilience, brilliance and innovative nature of Arabs in the diaspora continue to prosper wherever we establish our roots. Whether it’s thousands in the Dominican Republic, or 10 million in Brazil, the Arab presence serves as a true example of the peaceful, tolerant and hardworking nature of our people.

http://www.aaiusa.org/the_arab_diaspora_in_latin_america

In other news, Brazil currently has an President of Arab-Brazilian origin. Michel Temer.

The enduring success of Latin American politicians of Arab origin
By Ishaan Tharoor May 16

imrs.php

The parents of Brazil's new president, Michel Temer, arrived in Brazil from Lebanon in the 1920s. Politicians with a Middle Eastern ancestry are hardly rare in South America. (Eraldo Peres/AP)

Brazil's new president, Michel Temer, is already a figure of profound controversy. Formerly the country's vice president, he moved into power after the tumultuous suspension of President Dilma Rousseff was finalized last week in the midst of an ongoing corruption scandal.

Temer has immediately swung the country’s politics to the right, plotting free-market policies and appointing an all-male cabinet in the wake of the departure of Brazil’s first female president. The septuagenarian centrist may not be in power for long, though, given that he is also subject to a pending investigation into the financing of his and Rousseff's 2014 election campaign. Before he assumed the role of president, Temer was more widely known abroad for his model wife, who is about four decades his junior.

There’s one detail in his biography that, although irrelevant to Brazil’s ongoing political turmoil, links him to a wider Latin American story. Temer, whose Lebanese parents arrived in Brazil in the 1920s, is part of a diverse and far-reaching Arab immigrant diaspora in parts of Central and South America. And he’s hardly the first regional politico of Arab ancestry to head up his nation.

Carlos Menem, the disgraced former president of Argentina, was the son of Syrian nationals. To further his political career, he converted from Islam to Roman Catholicism. The father of Julio César Turbay, president of Colombia from 1978 to 1982, was an enterprising merchant who emigrated from the Lebanese town of Tannourine. Prominent presidents of El Salvador and Honduras claim Palestinian ancestry, while successive presidents in Ecuador in the 1990s had Lebanese heritage.

Although many in the United States know of the profusion of Italian, German and Irish immigrants whose descendants now populate the Americas, they are perhaps less aware of other major migrations to the region in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In addition to huge numbers from China and Japan, a significant influx of arrivals to South America came from the area known as the Levant, comprising modern-day Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Israel.

By some estimates, about 250,000 to 300,000 Arabs emigrated to Argentina, Brazil and Mexico around this time, fleeing the upheavals that beset a collapsing Ottoman Empire. Many were initially known as "Turcos" because of their Ottoman passports. According to one account, at least 5 percent of all people in Latin America can claim some strain of Arab ancestry, and that figure is probably higher in Brazil.

The majority of these Arab arrivals belonged to various Christian denominations. Temer's family, for example, hailed from Lebanon's Maronite Christian community. Affinity with the Catholic Church, as well as dogged hard work and savvy business acumen, sped the assimilation of many of these communities in South America. The diaspora includes global icons such as Mexican tycoon Carlos Slim and Colombian pop star Shakira. About 10 percent of members of Brazil's parliament have Arab ancestry.

Latin America's remaining ties to the Levant can be found mostly in last names and the ubiquity of Middle Eastern-style food across the region, from popular Brazilian fast-food chains to the proliferation of the empanada, a flaky, meaty pastry influenced in part by Lebanese cooking.

There are other ties. The existence of this pronounced Arab diaspora has also shaped contemporary geopolitics. In Venezuela, the leftist government has long had a cozy relationship with regimes in Iran and Syria. Tarek El Aissami, a prominent Venezuelan minister of Druze origin, is alleged by critics to have connections to the Lebanese Shiite militant group Hezbollah.

Chile boasts perhaps the largest Palestinian Christian community in the world outside Israel and the occupied territories. Palestino, a major soccer club in the capital, Santiago, was established in 1920 by Palestinian Christians. The team makes a point to voice its solidarity with its distant brethren living under Israeli occupation. That's a sympathy felt more broadly: Almost every major South American country recognizes Palestinian statehood.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...of-latin-american-politicians-of-arab-origin/

Arabs must know Latin America

Sunday, 15 November 2015

Abdullah Hamidaddin

The idea of a Latin American-Arab summit started 10 years ago thanks to Lula da Silva, Brazil’s former president. However, until now only four summits have taken place, the last in Riyadh. There is a lot in common in the histories of Arab and Latin American countries. Both were subjected to harsh colonialism, and much of the colonial legacy and its memory continue to this day.

Both regions were important arenas for U.S. Cold War policy, and in both cases that policy failed with devastating consequences. Moreover, there are more than 30 million Arabs living in Latin America, about 12 million of them in Brazil alone.

Not only have they assimilated in a culture that is not very different from their own, but many have become successful businessmen, politicians, even heads of state. More importantly, both regions can benefit greatly from each other for their respective development.

Challenges
There are quite a few challenges ahead in terms of cooperation. Firstly, the interests of the countries in each region diverge so much that it is almost impossible to imagine collective economic or political cooperation. Secondly, both the Arab League and the various regional organizations of Latin America are weak and ineffective when it comes to making collective decisions.

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, is that Iran has made headway in Latin America. For the past 12 years or so, Tehran has pursued a consistent outreach policy with many Latin American countries. It even buys uranium from there. Worse than that, Iran’s Republican Guard and its Lebanese ally Hezbollah have a broad and strong business network there. And in 2012, Iran’s Press TV launched its Hispanic version.

Those three challenges may hinder effective engagement between Arab and Latin American countries, but only when we think of that engagement in terms of two blocs. Those challenges will not stand in the way of bilateral and multilateral relations between countries from the two regions.

However, there is a fourth and more pertinent challenge: neither region understands the other well enough. To foster regional cooperation, it is not enough for heads of state and business leaders from both regions to meet. Nor is it enough to measure the growth of cooperation by the growth in trade. Summits, business meetings and trade contracts are vital but not enough. Long-term regional cooperation is about people to people, and not just elites to elites.

Latin Americans and Arabs need mutual understanding of each other’s histories, cultures, religions and ethnicities. Latin Americans have done much better than Arabs in terms of understanding. Many research centers in Latin America are dedicated to understanding the Arab world and the Middle East. In the Arab world there seems to be only one counterpart, in Lebanon.

Arabs urgently need to study Latin America. We should send more students there, tour their countries, know their newspapers, cooperate with their civil society, translate their intellectual work and literature. We need to interact with Latin Americans directly, to be more in touch with their minds and souls.

The next Latin American-Arab summit will be in 2018. I hope by then we can speak not only of an increase in trade or in mutual support for political causes, but also of the number of Arab research centers and academic institutions dedicated to understanding Latin America.
Abdullah Hamidaddin is a writer and commentator on religion, Middle Eastern societies and politics with a focus on Saudi Arabia and Yemen. He is currently a PhD candidate in King’s College London. He can be followed on Twitter: @amiq1

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/vi...2015/11/15/Arabs-must-know-Latin-America.html

Arab Trade Delegation Reflects on the Latin American Market

In News by Porter Anderson
September 13, 2016

At São Paulo Biennial Book Fair in August. Image: Internacional Bienal do livro​

By Porter Anderson, Editor-in-Chief | @Porter_Anderson

‘To Explore Rights Deals’
When Publishing Perspectives spoke earlier this summer with the United Arab Emirates’ Sheikha Bodour bint Sultan Al Qasimi about the trade delegation she was leading to the São Paulo Biennial Book Fair, the founding publisher of the Kalimat Group explained the rationale for cooperation between trade publishers of the Arab world and Latin American markets.

Bodour al Qasimi

“Latin America has the largest population of people of Arab descent outside the Arab world,” Bodour told us.

“Although precise statistics aren’t available, estimates of the size of the Arab diaspora in Latin America range from 30 to 40 million people, ranging from some 1,400 people in French Guyana to as many as 12 million in Brazil. Estimates are that in Brazil alone, there are more people of Lebanese descent than in Lebanon itself.”

Latin American publishers, Bodour said, have had less success in efforts to enter the Arab markets than some Arab publishers have had in accessing Latin markets. It’s her observation that, in fact, this might be addressed if Latin American content providers looked at delivering sectors of content that the Arab world so far has lagged on—”more diverse genre coverage” is needed, for example.

“The Arab region is one of the most connected parts of the world,” Bodour told us, “and our youthful, technology-embracing, digitally-empowered population offers a big opportunity for Latin American publishers to provide Arabic digital content—ebooks, apps, video, audio, infotainment, gaming, and e-learning.”

The trip, then, to São Paulo’s book fair last month, was exploratory. While rights transactions weren’t made this time, Bodour and her group of fellow Arab publishing specialists say they were successful in opening a new and significant dialogue with their colleagues in Brazil and neighboring countries. We’ll soon have Bodour’s overview of what was learned and accomplished in this trade mission.

Today, we have comments from three members of the delegation.

Rawan Dabbas: ‘The Demand for Arabic Content in Brazil’

Rawan Dabbas

Rawan Dabbas is the international relations chief for the Emirates Publishers Association, and handled much of the programming for the delegation’s trip.

“Brazil is so diverse,” Dabbas tells Publishing Perspectives, “with people from Japan, Italy and even Lebanon contributing to a significant number of its population.

“This diversity means that the book culture is extremely rich, and this is well reflected in children’s books and cookbooks, two popular categories in the Brazilian book market.

“During our visit, we found that the UAE and Brazil share very similar demographics. Many in both countries’ population are aged under 30. We also found that the demand for Arabic content in Brazil is high, as is the demand for Portuguese content in the Arab world. Furthermore, the Brazilian book market offers a wide range of diverse book genres, something that the UAE youth are craving.

“We’re happy to have identified a number of publishers to invite to Sharjah International Book Fair to explore right deals based on the unexpected similarities that we found between the two countries.”

The Arab team is still researching its best approach, and to that end has distributed a survey while in São Paulo.

“We want to learn more about what Brazilian publishers are interested in,” Dabbas says, “so we can bring more UAE publishers on our next visit.”

The next stop, Dabbas says, is Frankfurt Book Fair. “There, we’ll be meeting with many publishers including our colleagues from Brazil. Hopefully, we’ll attend the next São Paulo or Rio book fair, and we’re excited to have a booth in São Paulo 2018.”

Tamer Said: ‘A Real-Life Sense of the Market’

Tamer Said

Tamer Said works with Bodour as managing director to the Kalimat Group. He says the São Paulo mission was informative, especially for being on-site.

“After meeting with a number of Brazilian publishers during our visit,” he says, “it was obvious that Brazil and the UAE face very similar challenges in the publishing industry. We learned more about the Brazilian book market and got a real-life sense of the market when we met the local players.

“We were shocked to find out how large the Arab diaspora in Brazil is. Brazilian publishers are very interested in quality Arabic content because of this significantly large Arab diaspora.

“Equally, the demand for Portuguese language content in the Arab region and in the UAE specifically is increasing. And at the same time, there was a lot of interest in having our Arabic books translated to Portuguese and their books translated to Arabic.

“There’s huge potential,” Said says, ” for future trade with Brazil and Latin America as a whole in many different areas.”

Salim Omar: ‘To Strengthen Our Resolve’

Salim Omar

In his role of Sharjah Book Authority’s sales and marketing director, Salim Omar was especially engaged in introducing the Sharjah International Book Fair Translation Grant to Latin American colleagues.

Launched in 2011 at the 30th annual staging of the book fair, the $300,000 grant is designed to “fund the translation, publication and distribution of quality titles from all genres from other languages into Arabic and from Arabic into other languages,” according to its charter, “thus creating cultural bridges with Arab world societies, investing in translation as a profession and encourage more and better quality translators.”

The grant, Omar tells us, “was a popular topic of inquiry at the São Paulo fair,” although the size of the Arab population in diaspora had prepared them for the high number of inquiries they had about it.

“With more than 85 books approved for translation from 2015,” Omar says, “this grant’s impact on the global publishing industry and its facilitation of the translation of books from and into Arabic is indelible. The response we received encourages us to strengthen our resolve to fortify Arabic language publishing in the years to come.”

Bodour Al Qasimi is one of the speakers in The Markets: Global Publishing Summit 18 October 2016) from Publishing Perspectives and the Frankfurt Book Fair. Our free white Markets white paper is available, and you can read our series of interviews and information in relation to the conference, as well.

This year’s program will showcase the following seven markets:

1. Brazil
  2. Flanders & The Netherlands (Guest of Honor)
  3. Philippines
  4. Poland
  5. Spain
  6. United Arab Emirates
  7. United Kingdom
The Markets’ programming highlights each of these seven publishing territories from three perspectives: analysis, vision, and industry players. The day is devised to provide attendees not only with information and insights into the most important features of each industry market, but also with extensive networking opportunities during the event.

http://publishingperspectives.com/2016/09/uae-brazil-trade-mission/#.V-PBXmWYU00

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Bubblegum Crisis @Full Moon @EgyptianAmerican @f1000n @Malik Alashter @Ahmad Torky @الأعرابي @alarabi @azzo etc.

Around 10% of all Latin Americans have Arab ancestry. This is a huge number and even today the Arab diaspora in Latin America remains the largest Arab diaspora in the world.

I believe that we need to strengthen our ties with Latin America as the potential for cordial cooperation is enormous. The recent developments that we have seen in the past few years is a very good sign. Let us hope for even closer ties in the near future.

Also another interesting thing that I recently rediscovered is that both Brazil and Venezuela are observer states to the Arab League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_League#Member_states

Lastly, why can I not post articles that contain links? I want to post an interesting article but I am not allowed to do so. Nor would my post register. Are some words banned on PDF hence why ones post "disappears" or cannot be shown "publicly"? Very strange.

Last edited:
Around 10% of all Latin Americans have Arab ancestry. This is a huge number and even today the Arab diaspora in Latin America remains the largest Arab diaspora in the world.

I believe that we need to strengthen our ties with Latin America as the potential for cordial cooperation is enormous. The recent developments that we have seen in the past few years is a very good sign. Let us hope for even closer ties in the near future.

Also another interesting thing that I recently rediscovered is that both Brazil and Venezuela are observer states to the Arab League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_League#Member_states

Lastly, why can I not post articles that contain links? I want to post an interesting article but I am not allowed to do so. Nor would my post register. Are some words banned on PDF hence why ones post "disappears" or cannot be shown "publicly"? Very strange.

10%! thats a lot of Arabs

Hopefully ties continue mainly because of the huge Market thats possible to tap into and maybe we can build decent defense contracts with them.

Also doesn't Saudi Arabia have Brazilian military tech?

astros7.jpg

Astros II artillery rocket saturation system

Astros II (Artillery Saturation Rocket System) is developed and manufactured by Avibras Aerospacial SA based in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Deliveries of Astros II started during 1983 and the system is operational in the Brazilian Army, Saudi Arabian Defence Force and the Malaysian Army. The system is battle proven, having been used in action by the Iraqi Army in the Gulf Wars. Saudi Arabian systems were used during the Gulf conflict in 1991.

In August 2007, Malaysia placed an order for a second batch of 18 Astros II systems. The first batch of 18 systems was delivered from 2002.

Astros II rocket system vehicle fleet
The Astros II rocket system includes a fleet of vehicles:

• Universal multiple launcher (AV-LMU) capable of firing five kinds of rockets with different calibres
  • Ammunition supply vehicle (AV-RMD) for resupply of the AV-LMU, carrying two complete loads for each launcher
  • Command and control vehicle / fire control unit (AV-VCC) to provide the battalion level command with coordination and direction of firing missions for up to three Astros batteries
  • Mobile workshops for electronic and mechanic field maintenance of the system
  • Optional electronic fire control unit (AV-UCF) which main task is to facilitate the procedures of fire direction using radar and computer.
Astros II can also be configured as a coastal defence system when deployed with an AV-CBO searching and operation centre.

Egypt could use some of these.

Also if Venezuela could work with Saudi Arabia and Russia to raise the price of oil maybe they could get back on track.

All in all, South America is very attractive in terms of strategic and economic value.

10%! thats a lot of Arabs

Hopefully ties continue mainly because of the huge Market thats possible to tap into and maybe we can build decent defense contracts with them.

Also doesn't Saudi Arabia have Brazilian military tech?

astros7.jpg

Astros II artillery rocket saturation system

Astros II (Artillery Saturation Rocket System) is developed and manufactured by Avibras Aerospacial SA based in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Deliveries of Astros II started during 1983 and the system is operational in the Brazilian Army, Saudi Arabian Defence Force and the Malaysian Army. The system is battle proven, having been used in action by the Iraqi Army in the Gulf Wars. Saudi Arabian systems were used during the Gulf conflict in 1991.

In August 2007, Malaysia placed an order for a second batch of 18 Astros II systems. The first batch of 18 systems was delivered from 2002.

Astros II rocket system vehicle fleet
The Astros II rocket system includes a fleet of vehicles:

• Universal multiple launcher (AV-LMU) capable of firing five kinds of rockets with different calibres
  • Ammunition supply vehicle (AV-RMD) for resupply of the AV-LMU, carrying two complete loads for each launcher
  • Command and control vehicle / fire control unit (AV-VCC) to provide the battalion level command with coordination and direction of firing missions for up to three Astros batteries
  • Mobile workshops for electronic and mechanic field maintenance of the system
  • Optional electronic fire control unit (AV-UCF) which main task is to facilitate the procedures of fire direction using radar and computer.
Astros II can also be configured as a coastal defence system when deployed with an AV-CBO searching and operation centre.

Egypt could use some of these.

Also if Venezuela could work with Saudi Arabia and Russia to raise the price of oil maybe they could get back on track.

All in all, South America is very attractive in terms of strategic and economic value.

Indeed. It's a huge number. Not only that but bilateral ties in general. There are plenty of historical, cultural, political and economic reasons to cooperate much, much closer than currently seen. However the problem is that the Arab regimes in power (people too) are too much focused on our immediate neighborhood (naturally) and other parts of Asia, nearby Europe and Africa (less so which is also a big shame IMO) than Latin America which is far away geographically. Same story with South East Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia) although much less so. However even in this regard we should have 100 times closer ties with this part of the world. Especially as there is a significant minority of Arabs in South East Asia (almost 10 million in total) and due to close cultural, religious and historical ties.

My philosophy is that we should look much more internationally and try to establish closer relations to countries and regions of the world which are also developing countries and which we have cultural, religious, ethnic, historical, political, economic etc. ties and interests with. Currently the focus is too much on established powers in the West as well as the East. Diversifying more is needed IMO.

Yes, ASTROS II is also used by Iraq, Bahrain and Qatar in the Arab world. It has been used in Yemen recently too. It has proven effective.

As for Venezuela, I believe that there is not much any Arab state can do. OPEC should do its utmost to stabilize the price of oil. I expect direct US involvement soon if Venezuela turns into a completely lawless banana republic. After all this is in their sphere of influence. Maybe Mexico as well although they have their own problems to deal with. Not sure if they are projecting their power abroad either.

In general there is little unrest among countries in the "New World". They don't have the burden of long histories and thus not strong hostilities.

Speaking about Latin America, I would love to visit Cuba before it opens up too much.:D

Back
Top Bottom