What's new

Apple sells over 5 million iPhone 5s, investors worry about supply

harpoon

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
NEW YORK: Apple Inc sold out of its latest smartphone, with more than 5 million iPhone 5s sold in the three days since it hit stores, the company said on Monday.

While sales were solid, analysts were concerned that Apple was unable to produce the new phone fast enough to meet demand.

The early total for the iPhone 5 topped sales of the iPhone 4S, which sold more than 4 million units in its first weekend after Apple introduced it in October 2011.

Expectations for new Apple products are so high that Wall Street appeared not to be wowed by the latest numbers. Investors sent shares of the stock down 1.4 per cent at $690.14 in mid-morning trade.

"It appears investors were disappointed with the slowdown in growth in the first weekend," said BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk.

Apple said while the majority of iPhone 5 pre-orders have been shipped to customers, many were scheduled to go out in October.

The world's most valuable technology company is being closely watched for any supplier problems that may slow down the smartphone production.

"We believe that sales could have potentially been much higher if not for supply constraints," William Power, an analyst with Baird Equity Research, wrote in a note.

He forecast Apple selling 8 million to 10 million units in the fiscal fourth quarter ending in September.

One of Apple's key suppliers for screens, Sharp Corp, is struggling with high costs and scrambling to raise funds to pay debt.

Riots forces Chinese plant shutdown

Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Group, which assembles iPhones, closed a plant in China on Monday after about 2,000 workers were involved in a brawl in a company dormitory. It was not clear how long the shutdown would last.

Additionally, Apple is facing stiff competition from smartphones that run on Google Inc's Android software, which has become the most-used mobile operating system in the world. Apple's key supplier as well as rival, Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, has taken the lead in smartphone sales.

The iPhone 5 has been one of Apple's most aggressive international rollouts to date. The phone will be available 31 countries on Sept. 28 and in more than 100 countries by the end of the year.

"Expectations for Apple are always white hot," said Colin Gillis, a research analyst with BGC. "It's not just enough for them to break records but to smash them."

Apple signalled last week that pre-orders outstripped initial supply and that many phones would not be available until October.

The iPhone is Apple's highest-margin product and accounts for half of its annual revenues.

On Friday, fans lined up at stores in cities around the world to get their hands on the new phone, which is thinner and lighter and has a bigger screen.

Apple sells over 5 million iPhone 5s, investors worry about supply - The Times of India

I bought my first apple product.. 2 days ago..

So far its really amazing.. can't argue with performance.

I Pad 2 is a great computer..

Mark my words, Apple is going to get a heaping slice of humble pie soon enough. You can't sue your suppliers, treat your workers unethically, fail to innovate, and then expect nothing negative to happen to you. They are about to learn the true meaning of "Karma"

I am not sure that anything can dent Apple for a long time. Apple's biggest asset is a few millions blind followers who manage to give enough publicity to Apple to make everyone stop and notice Apple and talk about Apple.
You give this kind of free publicity to Lucifer and he will sell your soul to someone without you knowing.

BTW, iPhone 5 is an underwhelming phone. I had recently a proud blind iSheep showing me his new toy. Meh!

Anyway, my warning stays: We give too much power to any corporation--least of all a greedy, overpriced one like Apple--is not good for the world of technology.

I am not sure that anything can dent Apple for a long time. Apple's biggest asset is a few millions blind followers who manage to give enough publicity to Apple to make everyone stop and notice Apple and talk about Apple.
You give this kind of free publicity to Lucifer and he will sell your soul to someone without you knowing.

BTW, iPhone 5 is an underwhelming phone. I had recently a proud blind iSheep showing me his new toy. Meh!

Anyway, my warning stays: We give too much power to any corporation--least of all a greedy, overpriced one like Apple--is not good for the world of technology.

totally agree, samsung HTC and others will be miles ahead of apple in few yrs
how can you even appreciate 15? its looks same as i4 with few minor changes

Investors worry about supply??

"Oh no!! We have sold too much of our product, investors are going to pull out soon" Said no one.... EVER...

Apple fanbois: The winds of change are starting to blow against Apple. A few days ago there was a column at NY Times--an Apple heartland, btw, in terms of both moneyed-readers and NYT promoting Apple on its home page. Here is the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/opinion/nocera-has-apple-peaked.html

But even here some of the most recommended Comments are against Apple.

We REALLY need to dig deep into understanding what makes a fanboi lineup at 4 AM to buy a freaking gadget! We really need to understand the impact of too much power enjoyed by a company.

Apple, in my honest book, doesn't even make the best products if you add in the high price. What is to crow about when you control the hardware, the software AND, often, what you can or cannot install on the device purchased by users?

iSheeples! Unless you have AAPL stocks wake up!

Apple has been lagging in the smartphone sector for a while now (in technology and in sales), but they are still in the lead in the tablet market. At this point it's still a toss up how Apple will fare against its competitors in the future.

I am not surprised that people dont value their money

There are plenty of people out there in western countries who have plenty of money to waste just for brand name and to tell everyone that they got the latest luxury apple:P

What make me annoying that Samsung did not even told any information about processor speed and whether its dual core, quad core ? All they saying is its processor speed is double than previous iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone want to stand in line for hours just to get a freaking phone? It's beyond me.

I saw the iphone 5 over the weekend. It was not hooked up. The screen looked unimpresive, pale comparing to s3. The phone looks awkwardly long.

Galaxy s3 will run circle around it all day long.

I think the Samsung lawsuit is going to bite them in the ***. It already looks like the ruling is going to be overturned. It was already decided that Samsung was in the right in Germany and other countries. If Samsung is found to be innocent in the US (Apple's largest market) not only will Apple have that setback, but Samsung makes tons of components for their products, everything from iPhonevto Macbook components.

Why would anyone want to stand in line for hours just to get a freaking phone? It's beyond me.

If you are passionate about something you would too. I think its the pride of owning something extraordinary.

Back
Top Bottom