What's new

Another 5 Years wait for Indigenously-Built Tejas

In all honesty we all know, this thing is NEVER going to be inducted in IAF.

Why the Air Force Has to Wait Another 5 Years for Indigenously-Built Tejas Fighter

NEW DELHI: It has been 32 years in the making but it will be least another five years before the indigenously-built fighter jet Tejas (Mark -II) can be deployed in a combat role, a top Indian Air Force official told NDTV.

This is bad news for India which was hoping to induct the Tejas in large numbers to make-up for its ageing fighter fleet. India will have to decommission about 14 Squadrons of MiG-21 and MiG-27 fighters by 2022.

Top IAF officials told NDTV that Tejas (Mark -II) will be fitted with the GE - 414 engine instead of the existing GE- 404 engine to give the aircraft more thrust. "But that would require major changes in the airframe, the lengthy of aircraft will have to increased, air intake vents of the engine re-designed -and ballast - or weight - added to tail section of existing airframe to stabilize the aircraft," the officer told NDTV.

related_shadow.png
The aircraft will also be fitted with an improved radar to give it the capability to take on targets that are beyond visual range (BVR). The IAF wants Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Radars. The current version of the aircraft cannot fire missiles at BVR targets.

The Tejas (Mark -I) - the current version which doesn't meet Indian Air Force's combat requirements - is unlikely to get its crucial Final Operational Clearance (FOC) this December, as planned. "There are still some issues that need to sorted and the FOC will be delayed," the officer said.

Recently India opted to buy 36 - about two squadrons - French-built Rafale fighters to plug the growing gaps in capability created by aging and retiring jets. "It is a pragmatic decision" the Rafales will give the IAF some maneuvering room while the Tejas is further refined," the officer added.

Despite pressure to induct fighters in large numbers, the IAF plans to induct about 40 Tejas (Mark-I) fighters in the next few years and use it mainly for training purposes. "As we see it, it is better to wait and get a good fighter then going for Mark-I in its current state of development" the officer added.NEW DELHI: It has been 32 years in the making but it will be least another five years before the indigenously-built fighter jet Tejas (Mark -II) can be deployed in a combat role, a top Indian Air Force official told NDTV.

This is bad news for India which was hoping to induct the Tejas in large numbers to make-up for its ageing fighter fleet. India will have to decommission about 14 Squadrons of MiG-21 and MiG-27 fighters by 2022.

Top IAF officials told NDTV that Tejas (Mark -II) will be fitted with the GE - 414 engine instead of the existing GE- 404 engine to give the aircraft more thrust. "But that would require major changes in the airframe, the lengthy of aircraft will have to increased, air intake vents of the engine re-designed -and ballast - or weight - added to tail section of existing airframe to stabilize the aircraft," the officer told NDTV.

related_shadow.png
The aircraft will also be fitted with an improved radar to give it the capability to take on targets that are beyond visual range (BVR). The IAF wants Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Radars. The current version of the aircraft cannot fire missiles at BVR targets.

The Tejas (Mark -I) - the current version which doesn't meet Indian Air Force's combat requirements - is unlikely to get its crucial Final Operational Clearance (FOC) this December, as planned. "There are still some issues that need to sorted and the FOC will be delayed," the officer said.

Recently India opted to buy 36 - about two squadrons - French-built Rafale fighters to plug the growing gaps in capability created by aging and retiring jets. "It is a pragmatic decision" the Rafales will give the IAF some maneuvering room while the Tejas is further refined," the officer added.

Then you IAF high command is a bunch of morons to not induct it and spend millions on upgrading a less potent fighter!

Unnecessary. Tejas Mk-I is superior to upgraded Mirages even in its current form.

In all honesty we all know, this thing is NEVER going to be inducted in IAF.

Then you IAF high command is a bunch of morons!
Comeback after foc meanwhile some plane are flying with half multirole capabilities in other forces aswell;)

that would be like someone thinking back in 1983 that we would have a 4.5 gen aircraft in next 37 years.

Another way of looking at it - In another 5 years we'll have a potent world class 4.5 generation fighter that will be mostly indigenous. By then our Arjun Tank too would have become a world class tank with an indigenous engine. Quite an achievement if you ask me.

I know it hurts and makes you really angry at indian leadership, but honestly its been 32 years and 5 more years, and who knows if during that period IAF chooses another more potent engine or tech which would require another 5 years. This project is nothing more than a source of employment to the most incompetent engineers and technicians in india.

The other jet and force you are referring to designed, built, tested, mass produced and inducted their jet in active air guard duty within a decade, now dig that a bit.

Comeback after foc meanwhile some plane are flying with half multirole capabilities in other forces aswell;)

I know it hurts and makes you really angry at indian leadership, but honestly its been 32 years and 5 more years, and who knows if during that period IAF chooses another more potent engine or tech which would require another 5 years. This project is nothing more than a source of employment to the most incompetent engineers and technicians in india.

The other jet and force you are referring to designed, built, tested, mass produced and inducted their jet in active air guard duty within a decade, now dig that a bit.
No they don't design it not even a single screw it ,all know who did it

As for testing its still debatable as there are less proofs presented to sustain that claim

As for being mass produced only 54 of them were produced since 8 years with 1 crash in hand that shows pathetic record even in assembling of the aviation firms

Even in present form the other jet you are talking about is below rating from standards of the force like IAF.

that would be like someone thinking back in 1983 that we would have a 4.5 gen aircraft in next 37 years.

4.5 generation in 37 years and 5 generation in 40 years. 5 years too late but a great achievement nonetheless. What India needs now is a grand aerospace plan that will ensure that by 2035 we're completely self reliant and at par with the best in the world in terms of aerospace technologies including engine tech. I believe our defense minister has already put the plan in motion by giving contracts worth billions of dollars to the private sector.

When did auditors gained technical expertise about aircrafts maybe in Pakistan where they have shortage I think:D:D

Auditors job is to audit on fund allocations its a global standard every where if you see the US Senate committee audit report on F-35 its not so different from LCA
This shows your immaturity. Just read the complete report of CAG on lca program. Its a vrry comprehensive report. I may send you a copy of this if you can digest it.

And it was a technical and financial audit of complete lca program.

This shows your immaturity. Just read the complete report of CAG on lca program. Its a vrry comprehensive report. I may send you a copy of this if you can digest it.

And it was a technical and financial audit of complete lca program.

Hello Kid....first thing IAF is not in a urgent requirement for HAL Tejas imemdiately, what they need is a mini sukhoi in its form...What CAG did was right...and it doesn't mean HAL tejas is not a qualified fighter aircraft...

It is very simple, you may fail in your exams and parents may scold you or you may get some disease and doctor may advice you for some treatment which doesn't mean you are unfit but you need time to overcome things, samething Tejas is undergoing

Tejas first flight was in 2001 and i don't think we are wasting time.

One thing, if you wanna reply to my comment, reply sensible thinking of currents facts and don'reply as Pakistani

Our pigeons have flown more sorties than the mighty tejas...

You conceptualize, design and manufacture pigeons indigenously in Pakistan? It is important to not lose perspective in a conversation.

I am now pretty sure I would be reading similar kind of things about TEJAS even after 100 years.

Indian media has described TEJAS as plane of tomorrow and THUNDER as a plane of today.I am sure ,judging by the way things are working,the situation,after five years, will be
exactly same as it is today........TEJAS a plane of tomorrow
and THUNDER a plane of today.

You know, however LCA takes is all worth it. The people criticizing in day in and day out preferred someone else to build their plane with their minor contributions so they cannot understand when someone tries to do it first time it is going to be difficult. Now once we get over this one, we will be moving towards self reliance.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom