What's new

Andaman and Nicobar Corner

I miss that utaapam breakfast every morning :/ or dosa or idli better than our paratha breakfast. Even Canadian breakfast bacon and eggs is better :P

:smitten:

The Govt is concerned about it too. The Supreme Court has already given a verdict that the Andaman Trunk Road be closed and vehicular traffic through the Jarawa inhabited areas be prohibited. But the problem is, that road is also the lifeline of Indian settlers there, and until suitable transportation through sea isn't arranged for them, their livelihoods will be in peril.

There was a recent news article about Poachers and some others sexually exploiting the Jarawa. Alcoholism is also taking it's toll among the people.

Also the tribal emoticon is caleed 'Mamba'

The racism just never ends does it @Indischer

@Ravi Nair

Have you visited the Andaman and Nicobar Islands? If I for instance visited Kerala and from there went to Goa and then towards Southeastern India could I then take a ship from some coastal town in Southeastern India or would I have to take a plane?
I really want to visit the islands. When I do I will secretly approach that North Sentinel Island.:whistle:

Which racism are you guys talking about btw?

Last edited:
:smitten:

There was a recent news article about Poachers and some others sexually exploiting the Jarawa. Alcoholism is also taking it's toll among the people.

Also the tribal emoticon is caleed 'Mamba'

The racism just never ends does it @Indischer
The Jarawa who're constantly in contact with the outsiders are actually a small subset of the tribe. Many of the Jarawa still live deep inside the jungle, away from the Trunk Road and away from Indian settlements. But the number of tribals who're now depending on outsiders for food and alcohol is growing, and this cited as one of the reasons why the Road had to be closed.

Yeah, Mamba seems apt, doesn't it? :mamba:

@Ravi Nair

Have you visited the Andaman and Nicobar Islands? If I for instance visited Kerala and from there went to Goa and then towards Southeastern India could I then take a ship from some coastal town in Southeastern India or would I have to take a plane?
I really want to visit the islands. When I do I will secretly approach that North Sentinel Island.:whistle:

Which racism are you guys talking about btw?
The Jarawa who're constantly in contact with the outsiders are actually a small subset of the tribe. Many of the Jarawa still live deep inside the jungle, away from the Trunk Road and away from Indian settlements. But the number of tribals who're now depending on outsiders for food and alcohol is growing, and this cited as one of the reasons why the Road had to be closed.

Yeah, Mamba seems apt, doesn't it? :mamba:

@al-Hasani the racism we are talking about is an inside joke me and @Indischer has. It is about the Mamba emoticon :D

There was a very rare interview with a Jarawa member that sheds light on the issue.

He talks about mainly poachers who have sexually assaulted or exploited the jarawa Women. And you have alcoholism taking it's toll.

He pretty much confirmed that they are royally screwed as a people.

This article is on Guardian.

@Indischer @al-Hasani here is the article

Jarawa tribe now face sexual abuse by outsiders on Andaman Islands | World news | The Observer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom