What's new

Ancient Mythological War Formations

Since divya has been banned, I think I will hijack this thread :)

The formations I will discuss are NOT, however, mythological. Rather, they are actual formations used by ancient Indian armies during the Maurya Empire, as described by Chanakya in his masterpiece Arthashastra.

Chanakya describes four basic varieties of formations:
1. Danda - the staff-like array
2. Bhoga - the snake-like array
3. Mandala - the circle-like array
4. Asamhata - the detached order

Each of these four varieties, in turn, has its own variations. I will try to describe as many of these variations as possible, using direct information from the Arthashastra.

I will also provide illustrations to better depict these formations. All images are my own work (hence the low-quality, LOL)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, let us discuss the danda, or "staff-like array". According to Chankaya, this is a formation in which all the constituents of the army stand abreast. This would make it the most simple type of array.

danda.jpg

The pradara is a variant of the danda. The purpose of this formation is to break the enemy's formation. To achieve this, the flanks are made to project forward, and generally consist of "shock" units such as war elephants, heavy chariots, and armored cavalry.

The pradara can be countered by means of the dridhaka.

pradara.jpg

The dridhaka (which means "firm") is a defensive variant of the danda, and is meant as a counter to the pradara. The flanks and wings are stretched back, and are designed to absorb the blow of a frontal attack. The dridhaka typically consists of sturdy mail- and plate-armored infantry.

The dridhaka can be countered by the asayha.

dridhakas.jpg

The next variant is the "irresistible" formation, or asayha. It conists of elongated wings designed to envelop the enemy. The wings usually conist of fast and maneuverable units like light and medium cavalry (and sometimes chariots or elephants). It is most useful against compact formations like the dridhaka.

The asayha can be countered by means of the Syena vyuha.

asahya.jpg

The Syena vyuha ("eagle formation") of Mahabharat lore can be dscribed as a variant of the danda as well as the asayha. The Syena vyuha consists of a projected front in addition to elongated wings. It is designed for a "comprehensive attack" by all constituents of the army; it can shatter the enemy's center while simultaneously conducting an enveloping attack on its flanks and rear. As with the asayha, it is most useful against compact formations.

The Syena vyuha can be countered by means of the sanjaya formation.

syenavyuha.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will post more formations and their details when I have time. Comments are highly appreciated.

Excellent post.
I will mention that all variations you mentioned, seem to me are closely related or derived from the Phalanx of Philips or Alexander of Macedon.
A vyuha can't be considered static, and all the variations you mentioned are infact movement under certain circumstances and strategy.

Jackass, my one and only source is the Arthashastra by Chanakya. As far as I know, it is the only surviving text with in-depth information on ancient Indian warfare.

The Mahabharat mentions the different formations but doesn't go into detail.

No, there are many texts where you can find info on ancient "indian" warfare, like, Puranas, Dhanurveda(s), Manosollasa, Nitisara etc. etc.

Excellent post.
I will mention that all variations you mentioned, seem to me are closely related or derived from the Phalanx of Philips or Alexander of Macedon.

It is possible that there is some Greek influence in these formations, as Chanakya wrote the Arthashastra not too long after the Mauryas reconquered the lands of the west, which were held by Macedonian satraps left behind by Alexander.

However, much of the detail appears to be indigenous, as there was a long line of shastras composed at various times in Indian history before their ultimate culmination in the Arthashastra. Chanakya himself attributes his work to the sage Brihaspathy, and it is to him that Kamandaka (the author of Nitisara) also pays homage. There is no direct mention of Yavana (Greek/Western) or mleccha (non-South Asian) influence on military tactics or strategy.

No, there are many texts where you can find info on ancient "indian" warfare, like, Puranas, Dhanurveda(s), Manosollasa, Nitisara etc. etc.

Indeed, there is an endless list of texts from which one can derive bits and pieces of info on ancient Indian warfare.

But for the purposes of this thread, the only work (that I know of) with sufficient, detailed information to be of practical use is the Arthashastra, which is by far the most comprehensive and illustrious of its genre.

Alrite guys, here's Part 2.

The formations that I will post here are still considered variations of the danda.

But before I begin, one must understand the two basic methods of ordering a formation: the direct and reverse.

In the direct order, one-third of the army's best troops are placed in the front, and one-third of the best troops are placed on each of the two wings. This is an order which can go the offensive and break the enemy's formation.

In the reverse order, the army's best troops are placed in the rear, with weak troops in the front and centre. This is an order which can resist an offensive and wear down the enemy.

Note that every variant, in theory, can be applied in both the direct and reverse orders as the combat situation demands.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let us begin with the sanjaya ("victory") formation. The sanjaya has its wings arrayed in the reverse order, which means they are intended to resist the enemy's wings from conducting a flanking attack. Meanwhile, the center of the army, as well as the flanks, maintain the direct order; this general setup is also referred to as the chápa (the "bow"). This formation is useful against offensive enemy arrays that rely on using powerful wings to overwhelm and outflank the enemy.

sanjaya.jpg

A formation similar to the sanjaya is the vijaya ("the conqueror"). It can be considered an offensive variant of the former. Like the sanjaya, the vijaya consists of reverse-ordered wings, but the main difference lies in the projection of the front. The vijaya concentrates shock units like war elephants and heavy cavalry in the front, while keeping the wings full of lighter units. When advancing upon the enemy, the wings will harass the enemy's wings and prevent them from attacking the flanks, while the powerful front conducts the decisive attack. This formation is useful against formations whose wings cannot be engaged directly, but whose centre can be breached; thus, the vijaya can dismember the enemy's array in half.

vijaya.jpg

Next is the sthúlakarna, or "big ear". In this formation, the flanks and wings are arrayed like a staff to make a single front. It follows the direct order, in which the army's elite troops are evenly distributed throughout the ranks. Thus, the sthúlakarna is a balanced formation, and having strengthened the extremities, it cannot succumb from a simple flanking maneuvre like other formations.

sthulakarna.jpg

The visálavijaya, or "vast victory", choses to bend the rules. It breaks the basic principle of even troop distrubution, and choses to concentrate two-thirds of the army's best troops in the center. Such a formation has tremendous concentrated strength, but at the obvious consequence of weakened flanks and wings. With a front that is at least twice as strong as that of most other armies, the visálavijaya, when used properly, can utterly shatter and rout an enemy force. When used improperly, however, it can be enveloped and trapped by the more dispersed and flexible enemy array.

visalavijaya.jpg

Last but not least is the chamúmukha ("face of the army"). It consists of wings that are projected forward, and are intended to engage in combat with the enemy wings ahead of the rest of the army. For enemy armies with weak extremities, this can be a death sentence, as an early attack on the wings can mean devastating consequences for the core. The reverse order of this formation is known as the ghashásya, or "face of the fish"; it is intended to harass the enemy wings and extremities and wear them down before the main armies clash.

chamumukha.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it for now. The most interesting formations will be in the next part ;)

Sad. But in ramayan, we have description of flying machine?? Also, I think the 10 heads of Ravan was some kind of illusion created by reflections. Wat you guys think?

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom