What's new

Ancient maps of Pakistan and India by geographers

Shazzad123

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
@Indus Pakistan

There are a lot of maps in the past which are sources from multiple different types of historians and geographers which says that Sindh, Balochistan and Kashmir are distinct from mainland Indians

Even though there is some connection due to distance. There is still a seperation on every map between the two

Persian geographer Al Ishtkari

unnamed (4).jpg

Ibn Huqwal

Ibn_Howqal_World_map_English.png

More ancient maps

300px-Ancient_Khorasan_highlighted.jpg

Turkish map by Mahmud Kashghari

Fun fact - yajuj and majuj is where today's Germanic European parts are on his map

Mahmud_al-Kashgari_map_(Türkçe).png

Portugese map of the region

bb690498490b76038c8660c8c887cb07.jpg

Here

Maps-Indoscythia-01-goog.jpg

newsouthasia_1500bc.jpg

Attachments

• Ibn_Howqal_World_map_English.png
    Ibn_Howqal_World_map_English.png
    930.6 KB · Views: 15
good post from central Asian geographers....This is my counter post..some of your like the last two are not historical maps

Let's see it in a way people would understand

Babylonian World Map ca. 600 BCE: (No Mention of Indus or hte big continents only focussing on the Fertile Crescent)

BabylonianWorldMap2.jpg

Map of Anaximander ca. 550 BC: (Shows Asia but not much else for our relevance)

480px-Anaximander_world_map-en.svg.png

Map of Hecataeus of Miletus ca. 500 BCE identifies Indus Valley as India

493px-Hecataeus_world_map-en.svg.png

Eratosthenes ca. 200 BCE (Shows Entire subcontinent as India)

640px-Mappa_di_Eratostene.jpg

Posidonious ca.100 BCE (fails to show either Indus or Indus Valley or India or fails to name them properly)

Worldmaphedo.jpg

Strabo roughly 1 AD: (Shows entire subcontinent as India)

640px-C%2BB-Geography-Map1-StrabosMap.PNG

Pomponius Mela ca.40 AD: (Debatable but I would say he shows entire subcontinent as India)

560px-Karte_Pomponius_Mela.jpg

Ptolemy's world Map: (shows Two Indias..One between Indus River and Ganges and another East of Ganges)

PtolemyWorldMap.jpg

Tabula Peutingeriana ca.300 AD : (basically a road network map of Roman Empire still tries to squeeze contemporary knowledge of the world...The Word India extends till south and the sea opening of Rive Ganges)

1280px-TabulaPeutingeriana.jpg

I rest my case.. Ertosthenes onwards, India has meant the whole of subcontinental landmass ....that's 2,200 years

More than the history of even Christianity

I have deliberately not included the higher resilution images as that may crash many computers..You are encouraged to find the higher resolutions on wikicommons, if in doubt

good post from central Asian geographers....This is my counter post..some of your like the last two are not historical maps

Let's see it in a way people would understand

Babylonian World Map ca. 600 BCE: (No Mention of Indus or hte big continents only focussing on the Fertile Crescent)

BabylonianWorldMap2.jpg

Map of Anaximander ca. 550 BC: (Shows Asia but not much else for our relevance)

480px-Anaximander_world_map-en.svg.png

Map of Hecataeus of Miletus ca. 500 BCE identifies Indus Valley as India

493px-Hecataeus_world_map-en.svg.png

Eratosthenes ca. 200 BCE (Shows Entire subcontinent as India)

640px-Mappa_di_Eratostene.jpg

Posidonious ca.100 BCE (fails to show either Indus or Indus Valley or India or fails to name them properly)

Worldmaphedo.jpg

Strabo roughly 1 AD: (Shows entire subcontinent as India)

640px-C%2BB-Geography-Map1-StrabosMap.PNG

Pomponius Mela ca.40 AD: (Debatable but I would say he shows entire subcontinent as India)

560px-Karte_Pomponius_Mela.jpg

Ptolemy's world Map: (shows Two Indias..One between Indus River and Ganges and another East of Ganges)

PtolemyWorldMap.jpg

Tabula Peutingeriana ca.300 AD : (basically a road network map of Roman Empire still tries to squeeze contemporary knowledge of the world...The Word India extends till south and the sea opening of Rive Ganges)

1280px-TabulaPeutingeriana.jpg

I rest my case.. Ertosthenes onwards, India has meant the whole of subcontinental landmass ....that's 2,200 years

More than the history of even Christianity

I have deliberately not included the higher resilution images as that may crash many computers..You are encouraged to find the higher resolutions on wikicommons, if in doubt

Your post show everything east of the Indus as India

However most of Pakistan comes under Gedrosia and Ariana

Back
Top Bottom