What's new

Analyses of the Samurai Culture of Japan : Historical Based Discourse

They maybe oversimplified as you said but our Samurai Niho will solve the problem.

Ladies practiced jigaki / jigai

Women have their own ritual suicide, Jigaki. Here, the wife of Onodera Junai, one of the Forty-seven Ronin, prepares for her suicide; note the legs tied together, a female feature of seppuku to ensure a "decent" posture in death.
with a knife to the throat, and rarely short swords were used. I did not go into detail of any of the points I thought were simplified, I am waiting for our expert to elaborate on it.

Bushidos code or the samurai code is somewhat similiar to what Balučnuaed to practise ... Baluch Mayar ... Or the Pashtuns concept on Pashtunwali .. The Punjabi concept of Izzat Or ghairat... Unfortunately with these things have been forgotten...

my favourite is always Nobunaga Oda, the one who tries to unify the land. he's quite the same with the hero from my country, Gajah Mada. both of them are fighting lots of Feudal Lords/Kings in their way, though they never accomplished their dreams as their people betrayed them.

both of them also "Demonized" in the current culture too lol with Nobunaga usually portrayed as Demon Warlord, while Gajah Mada gets the eternal Hate from the Sundanese people to this day.

its interesting how medieval Japanese samurai preferred to fight with sword, no shield, and bow, while medieval Chinese soldiers fought with spears, shields and crossbows, which is more in common with other Eurasian empires of the medieval age like Abbasid Caliphate and Roman Empire. The sword in ancient Rome was just a side-arm for close quarter combat, while usually the legionaries would use their spear to keep

Also, Chinese soldiers fought in tight phalanx formations, similar to Roman legions (兵阵) but Japan doesn't seem to have a tradition of formation fighting during the medieval era.

its interesting how medieval Japanese samurai preferred to fight with sword, no shield, and bow, while medieval Chinese soldiers fought with spears, shields and crossbows, which is more in common with other Eurasian empires of the medieval age like Abbasid Caliphate and Roman Empire. The sword in ancient Rome was just a side-arm for close quarter combat, while usually the legionaries would use their spear to keep

Also, Chinese soldiers fought in tight phalanx formations, similar to Roman legions (兵阵) but Japan doesn't seem to have a tradition of formation fighting during the medieval era.
Can the gang feud between villeges in a island be put on a par with the war waged by city-states, kingdoms and even a great empire in vast mainland?:cheesy::coffee:

Last edited:
To my friends @AUSTERLITZ @Gufi @Spectre @neolithic @IrbiS , --- I have typed up an essay that addresses your points, respectively. I'll post it here this week. Forgive me for my lack of activity in this thread , this week has been quite busy for me. Hence you notice i been posting more frequently on weekends on free time.

The only free time i have nowadays are during office hours. lol.

:lol:

Great points, Gentlemen! I never knew so many of you, my esteemed colleagues, had so much knowledge on Japanese Feudal History and Military History. I am utterly impressed.

*bow*

Samurai. ~ 1860 – 1880
Samurai. ~ 1860 – 1880.jpg

@Nihonjin1051
As Samurai era from 1100~1800 has a unique history to learn the way of life the great worriers including Sengaku Jedai, I'm more interested in Meji and Edo Jedai the modernization of Japan and fall of legendary samurai warriors. I read few books/novels/research article most of them are from foreign writers as it's are in English and still easy for me to read instead of Japanese as my skill of reading kanji is not perfect. Any recommended read by some Japanese writer in English about Meji/Edo Jedai?

"restoration of rule to the Meiji emperor,
Modernization of Japanese society
and the change in the samurais role"
I watch few movies and dramas about this period if you know more interesting or knowledge able please do share also,
暇のときでも いですので お願いします(^.^)

@Nihonjin1051
As Samurai era from 1100~1800 has a unique history to learn the way of life the great worriers including Sengaku Jedai, I'm more interested in Meji and Edo Jedai the modernization of Japan and fall of legendary samurai warriors. I read few books/novels/research article most of them are from foreign writers as it's are in English and still easy for me to read instead of Japanese as my skill of reading kanji is not perfect. Any recommended read by some Japanese writer in English about Meji/Edo Jedai?

"restoration of rule to the Meiji emperor,
Modernization of Japanese society
and the change in the samurais role"
I watch few movies and dramas about this period if you know more interesting or knowledge able please do share also,
暇のときでも いですので お願いします(^.^)

I highly recommend you get this book: "Tour of duty: Samurai, military service in Edo, and the culture of early modern Japan" , written by Dr. Constantine Nomikos Vaporis.

@KURUMAYA - senpai,

Another source i recommend is: "The Eyes of power: Art and early Tokugawa authority" by Karen M. Gerhart.

Great read!

I highly recommend you get this book: "Tour of duty: Samurai, military service in Edo, and the culture of early modern Japan" , written by Dr. Constantine Nomikos Vaporis.

@KURUMAYA - senpai,

Another source i recommend is: "The Eyes of power: Art and early Tokugawa authority" by Karen M. Gerhart.

Great read!
Arigatou I found both on Amazon!

Back
Top Bottom