What's new

An opportunity that Pakistan missed

Peacefull

Reaction score
Leaked secret cables from the U.S. embassy in Islamabad, just after the November 26, 2008 attacks in Mumbai, reveal a more complex narrative than that chronicled so far.

The Pakistan government was willing to work with India; New Delhi was not painting Islamabad and the military nerve centre in Rawalpindi with the same brush, and the Europeans were initially keen on dousing any tensions that might have erupted.

Three cables form the basis for the initial account. The fourth and the last cable, sent three months later, details how the media in India and Pakistan, along with the Opposition in Pakistan, led to erosion of enthusiasm in Pakistan to get at the bottom of the Mumbai attack conspiracy.

The four WikiLeaks cables, though forming a narrow window, are a story of a missed opportunity for Pakistan to step up the friendship with India, being constructed through the comprehensive dialogue process.

The cables begin disclosing the story through American eyes on the day National Security Guard commandos ended the bloody holdup in Mumbai, and Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab had been captured. It begins with Pakistan making all the right noises.

“President [Asif Ali] Zardari, PM [Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza] Gilani and FM [Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood] Qureshi have made all the right public statements...Government of Pakistan (GoP) is sending ISI [Inter-Services Intelligence] chief M.G. Pasha to India to participate in the investigation...[Mr.] Zardari is meeting with appropriate Cabinet members to discuss further possible GoP reaction and NSA [National Security Adviser Mahmud Ali] Durrani forwarded a message on the need to jointly fight militants that threaten both Pakistan and India.”

The cables list at least a dozen GoP initiatives that suggest it was in sync with the feeling of awfulness and revulsion felt by the rest of the world. Apart from telephonic commensuration at the highest levels, Islamabad was willing for hotlines between the two intelligence chiefs, saw the attacks as a threat both countries needed to fight together and agreed to an Indian request to send ISI officers to Mumbai.

However, the British got alarmist even before India and Pakistan could begin discussing the modalities of their cooperation. They agreed with the rest of the world for quick, credible action by GoP. But among the U.K.'s fears were “increased [where there was none] proxy action” by India in Balochistan and aerial attacks on Lashkar-e-Taiba training camps in the ***************** Kashmir (***). The cables later reveal that the large ***-origin population had coloured British views.

The Americans felt London was “overreacting,” but agreed on the need for a coordinated message urging concrete GoP action against Lashkar. And in a forecast, that remained true for over two years, noted: “If the militant plan was to ensure that the Pakistan Army would not shift troops from the eastern border to the tribal areas, the horrific Mumbai attacks may have succeeded.”

Meanwhile, the Pakistani media “reacted predictably” with denials of Pakistani involvement and demands for proof.

Internally also, the GoP was trying to form a similarity of opinion with other stakeholders — the Army and the Opposition parties — and succeeded to some extent. But the Pakistan Army, according to the Americans, while not moving more troops to the Indian border, had started increasing alert levels. Mr. Zardari saw the attacks as “an opportunity” to crack down on militants, but criticised the “Indians” for statements that pushed Islamabad to make a defensive response and “made my job harder.” He also told the British Foreign Minister of not having had “any specific information about the individuals named in the information passed [by the British] to ISI.”

The third cable chronicles the erosion of the resolve in Islamabad to act jointly with New Delhi, and the growing hawkishness in the Indian media that had a reverse effect across the border. “Mr. Qureshi complained about the negative effect of the Indian media hype.” Despite the Indian media reporting plans of pre-emptive strikes, troop movements and severing of diplomatic contacts, the Government's views remained balanced. It felt the GoP was in the clean, while the same could not be said about the ISI. The fourth cable, after a gap of a couple of months, reveals hardening of the GoP's stand. “President Zardari said he would have no choice but to respond militarily to an Indian attack.” Meanwhile, his chief political opponent Nawaz Sharif and his brother appeared to be playing a double game, the U.S. thought.

“Zardari also discussed his increasing frustration with Sharif's government in Punjab, whom he believed had tipped off the Jamat-ul-Dawa about the assets freeze ordered by the federal government.”

Mr. Zardari continued to attempt trying to work with the Indians. He approved the release of information to New Delhi and reminded the U.S. “that it had only taken a phone call from the U.S. to ensure that Pakistan did not oppose the U.S./India civil nuclear deal at the Nuclear Suppliers Group.”
The Hindu : Today's Paper / NATIONAL : An opportunity that Pakistan missed

“President [Asif Ali] Zardari, PM [Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza] Gilani and FM [Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood] Qureshi have made all the right public statements...Government of Pakistan (GoP) is sending ISI [Inter-Services Intelligence] chief M.G. Pasha to India to participate in the investigation...[Mr.] Zardari is meeting with appropriate Cabinet members to discuss further possible GoP reaction and NSA [National Security Adviser Mahmud Ali] Durrani forwarded a message on the need to jointly fight militants that threaten both Pakistan and India.”

I remember that day when Mr Qureshi was making that speach that they will help us in investigation. At that point even after the attack, I believed things were different this time and Pakistan is serious. Remember till 26/11 our relations were best possible with both sides going one step ahead in bettering the relation.

What happened after that spoiled the relation completly and I am yet to see a single Pakistani to understand how Indians felt. The whole drama around not accepting Kasab as their national for 1 month, clearly made me feel that there is something about this whole case that they do not want to admit.

When something like this happens emotions has to be taken into account and response have to be appropriate.

There are better ways things could have been handled.
I was one of the people who were feeling very happy that we are having better relations, when we go on cricket field it was more firendly match. I feel Pakistan spoiled it and their citizens has not realized it yet.

The indians never want to work positively with Pakistan and their media paints the same picture. It all has to do with their mentality more than their politics.

They will never get the opportunity to paint Pakistan in dim light, call terrorist sponsor, defame it all over the media and brag of surgical strikes (which they are impotent for anyways) if even a hint of positive co-op was accepted..

Last edited:
I am yet to see a single Pakistani to understand how Indians felt.
I find that hard to believe, but let me be the first Pakistani then :tup:

I have been on record as saying we did drag our feet, and were made to look stupid - none more so than our own media. They seemed to be more effective on the investigation front than the Govt!

The offer for Pasha to go India, and then for that to be withdrawn was down to the Army. They didn't want to be seen as being 'summoned' by the Indians. You can debate the rights or wrongs, but that was the feeling.

Then as the cables touch on, the media hysteria on the Indian side was at unprecedented levels. Now that's not to underestimate the severity of 26/11, but the cries of 'surgical strikes' and what not placed us not only on the defensive, but irked us quite a bit. Commentators of all backgrounds were calling for some form of revenge. Even without any sort of investigaton underway.

Now see that from our side too. As you touch on, the friendliness exhibited by Pakistan (and Zardari and co.) was at ridiculously high levels. 26/11 happened just after the HT Leadership Summit - an event where Zardari promised no-first nuclear-strike, a first for a Pak leader. There were numerous other positive noises being made prior to that. So when you have a friendly and pro-peace govt in place looking to help, but only to find hawkish voices from the other side via the media, then it makes it hard to work together, without looking weak.

And the last thing that Pakistan (read the Army) wants to do is look weak. I'm not justifying the approach, or saying I agree with it. I'm simply trying to provide some context.

26/11 set relations back a decade. I know we have to win the trust of Indians, I'm fully aware of the Indian feeling around that. But if you threaten us with war, and weaken the already weak civillian govt with such threats and demands, then it makes it that little bit harder to go the extra mile.

However the onus is on Pakistan to bring the culprits of 26/11 to justice. If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd be expecting the very same.

Last edited:
I personally see it as a missed opportunity for both sides. An opportunity missed to work together and bring the perpetuators of the Mumbai Attacks to justice. This would definitely have built trust among the peoples of both nations.

Leaked secret cables from the U.S. embassy in Islamabad, just after the November 26, 2008 attacks in Mumbai, reveal a more complex narrative than that chronicled so far.

The Pakistan government was willing to work with India; New Delhi was not painting Islamabad and the military nerve centre in Rawalpindi with the same brush, and the Europeans were initially keen on dousing any tensions that might have erupted.

Three cables form the basis for the initial account. The fourth and the last cable, sent three months later, details how the media in India and Pakistan, along with the Opposition in Pakistan, led to erosion of enthusiasm in Pakistan to get at the bottom of the Mumbai attack conspiracy.

The four WikiLeaks cables, though forming a narrow window, are a story of a missed opportunity for Pakistan to step up the friendship with India, being constructed through the comprehensive dialogue process.

The cables begin disclosing the story through American eyes on the day National Security Guard commandos ended the bloody holdup in Mumbai, and Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab had been captured. It begins with Pakistan making all the right noises.

The cables list at least a dozen GoP initiatives that suggest it was in sync with the feeling of awfulness and revulsion felt by the rest of the world. Apart from telephonic commensuration at the highest levels, Islamabad was willing for hotlines between the two intelligence chiefs, saw the attacks as a threat both countries needed to fight together and agreed to an Indian request to send ISI officers to Mumbai.

However, the British got alarmist even before India and Pakistan could begin discussing the modalities of their cooperation. They agreed with the rest of the world for quick, credible action by GoP. But among the U.K.'s fears were “increased [where there was none] proxy action” by India in Balochistan and aerial attacks on Lashkar-e-Taiba training camps in the ***************** Kashmir (***). The cables later reveal that the large ***-origin population had coloured British views.

The Americans felt London was “overreacting,” but agreed on the need for a coordinated message urging concrete GoP action against Lashkar. And in a forecast, that remained true for over two years, noted: “If the militant plan was to ensure that the Pakistan Army would not shift troops from the eastern border to the tribal areas, the horrific Mumbai attacks may have succeeded.”

Meanwhile, the Pakistani media “reacted predictably” with denials of Pakistani involvement and demands for proof.

Internally also, the GoP was trying to form a similarity of opinion with other stakeholders — the Army and the Opposition parties — and succeeded to some extent. But the Pakistan Army, according to the Americans, while not moving more troops to the Indian border, had started increasing alert levels. Mr. Zardari saw the attacks as “an opportunity” to crack down on militants, but criticised the “Indians” for statements that pushed Islamabad to make a defensive response and “made my job harder.” He also told the British Foreign Minister of not having had “any specific information about the individuals named in the information passed [by the British] to ISI.”

The third cable chronicles the erosion of the resolve in Islamabad to act jointly with New Delhi, and the growing hawkishness in the Indian media that had a reverse effect across the border. “Mr. Qureshi complained about the negative effect of the Indian media hype.” Despite the Indian media reporting plans of pre-emptive strikes, troop movements and severing of diplomatic contacts, the Government's views remained balanced. It felt the GoP was in the clean, while the same could not be said about the ISI. The fourth cable, after a gap of a couple of months, reveals hardening of the GoP's stand. “President Zardari said he would have no choice but to respond militarily to an Indian attack.” Meanwhile, his chief political opponent Nawaz Sharif and his brother appeared to be playing a double game, the U.S. thought.

“Zardari also discussed his increasing frustration with Sharif's government in Punjab, whom he believed had tipped off the Jamat-ul-Dawa about the assets freeze ordered by the federal government.”

Mr. Zardari continued to attempt trying to work with the Indians. He approved the release of information to New Delhi and reminded the U.S. “that it had only taken a phone call from the U.S. to ensure that Pakistan did not oppose the U.S./India civil nuclear deal at the Nuclear Suppliers Group.”
The Hindu : Today's Paper / NATIONAL : An opportunity that Pakistan missed

Indians have to stop feel their selves as guilty of Pakistani action in Mumbai attack, you have to clarify yourself very solidly that MUMBAI ATTACK WAS A PREPLANNED JOINT ACTION OF RAW & CIA to make another hot war in mask of a cold war (just like 9/11), to push behind the question of Kashmir, to hold pressure on Pakistan for their evil aims, to prove yourself in the world that India is innocent, to initiate plan of US to push India against Pakistan & China with all his support & lobby, create reasons to help India dominating as a power in south Asia & after all to divide world attention from Indian occupied Kashmir, siachin, moreover to help India being as permanent member of UNSC.
US can realize world about Mumbai attacks but he can’t realize world about the participation of India in many Mumbai attack type blasts in Pakistan and destabilized conditions in Baluchistan because of US’s lovely India & RAW. And then he saying that PAKISTAN IS ALLY IN WOT. What a hell is this?

http://www.thenews.com.pk/NewsDetail.aspx?ID=6557

WASHINGTON: WikiLeaks has disclosed another key point regarding Pakistan-US ties, which is about putting a condition on Pakistan for securing a nuclear cooperation with superpower likewise India, Geo News reported.

During a meeting with President Zardari in 2009, a US’s Senator John Kerry placed a condition on Pakistan that the latter would have to ink a ‘New Security Arrangement’ accord with neighbour India, if it wanted a civil nuclear cooperation with US, according to leaked memos of US diplomatic cables, cited in a letter of the then US ambassador N.W Patterson.

Citing a letter of Patterson, WikiLeaks claimed that Senator Kerry wanted Pakistan to make agreement with New Delhi on New Security Arrangement, if latter was looking for winning a cooperation with US on Civil Nuclear deal.

Kerry also urged Pakistan to strengthen democratic institutions first for the purpose, leaked diplomatic cables disclosed.

Senator said AQ Khan network was key hurdle in way of progress of Pakistan.

While, during the same sitting, President Zardari told him that India itself plotted Mumbai Attacks in November 2008.

Last edited:
Indians have to stop feel their selves as guilty of Pakistani action in Mumbai attack, you have to clarify yourself very solidly that MUMBAI ATTACK WAS A PREPLANNED JOINT ACTION OF RAW & CIA to make another hot war in mask of a cold war (just like 9/11), to push behind the question of Kashmir, to hold pressure on Pakistan for their evil aims, to prove yourself in the world that India is innocent, to initiate plan of US to push India against Pakistan & China with all his support & lobby, create reasons to help India dominating as a power in south Asia & after all to divide world attention from Indian occupied Kashmir, siachin, moreover to help India being as permanent member of UNSC.
US can realize world about Mumbai attacks but he can’t realize world about the participation of India in many Mumbai attack type blasts in Pakistan and destabilized conditions in Baluchistan because of US’s lovely India & RAW. And then he saying that PAKISTAN IS ALLY IN WOT. What a hell is this?

You need to stop listening to Zaid Hamid...

I have been on record as saying we did drag our feet, and were made to look stupid - none more so than our own media. They seemed to be more effective on the investigation front than the Govt!

The offer for Pasha to go India, and then for that to be withdrawn was down to the Army. They didn't want to be seen as being 'summoned' by the Indians. You can debate the rights or wrongs, but that was the feeling.

Then as the cables touch on, the media hysteria on the Indian side was at unprecedented levels. Now that's not to underestimate the severity of 26/11, but the cries of 'surgical strikes' and what not placed us not only on the defensive, but irked us quite a bit. Commentators of all backgrounds were calling for some form of revenge. Even without any sort of investigaton underway.

Now see that from our side too. As you touch on, the friendliness exhibited by Pakistan (and Zardari and co.) was at ridiculously high levels. 26/11 happened just after the HT Leadership Summit - an event where Zardari promised no-first nuclear-strike, a first for a Pak leader. There were numerous other positive noises being made prior to that. So when you have a friendly and pro-peace govt in place looking to help, but only to find hawkish voices from the other side via the media, then it makes it hard to work together, without looking weak.

And the last thing that Pakistan (read the Army) wants to do is look weak. I'm not justifying the approach, or saying I agree with it. I'm simply trying to provide some context.

26/11 set relations back a decade. I know we have to win the trust of Indians, I'm fully aware of the Indian feeling around that. But if you threaten us with war, and weaken the already weak civillian govt with such threats and demands, then it makes it that little bit harder to go the extra mile.

However the onus is on Pakistan to bring the culprits of 26/11 to justice. If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd be expecting the very same.

Thanks a lot for this wonderful introspective post. I could not have written it any better.

The only thing I would like to add is that , IMHO, it is a missed oportunity from our side too. The live footage of the entire incident somehow led to rush of adreline in the public in general and the media, hell bent to get maximum out of the public sentiments, started going way overboard. Ultimately it only made matters worse.

let me personally thank your for u r wonderfull views.

i sincerely believe 26/11 was a wonderfull opportunity for both india and pakistan to work together. pakistan could have taken more pro-active approach to arrest all individuals associated with this attack (planning or execution). an act of such nature would have greatly enhanced prestige of pak govt in front of indians and whole world. it would have clearly sent out a message to the whole world that pakistan has nothing to hide and is willing to take strong steps.

i personally belive such a strong step would have elevated pakistani position and then pakistan could have forced india to take that extra step in resolution of all outstanding issues inluding kashmir, siachen and water dispute. even world community would have supported pakistan then.

however this was not to be. both governments willingly played to their media and hawkinsh elements.

there was a section of indian media who shouted for revenge and surgical strikes (understandbly so).
there was a section of pakistani govt who kept on denying that kasab was a pakistani. there were others who belived that 26/11 was all planned by R&AW, CIA and Mossad.

in pakistan the initial response of shock and support/sympathy towards vicitms gave way to nationalistic feeling of how indians can call for surgical strikes without enough evidence.

in india, the govt was totally helpless in the event of eventual onslaught by media and pakistani bashers.

ultimately justice suffered and both india and pak lost their way. pakistan adopted defensive "dosier/show me evidence " policy and india could not do anything about it other than talking to US and other countries.

peace became a "victim" then and will continue to be victim untill and unless both govts sit down and talk straight on face.

The indians never want to work positively with Pakistan and their media paints the same picture. It all has to do with their mentality more than their politics.

They will never get the opportunity to paint Pakistan in dim light, call terrorist sponsor, defame it all over the media and brag of surgical strikes (which they are impotent for anyways) if even a hint of positive co-op was accepted..

Lastly now pakistan has realised & become serious to have good relations with Indians , thats good , this movement has already begun long time back in India to stabalise the region , Its now after much hard work from both sides guys like you are making statement to have peace , Not to blame anyone its only the time which will give all answers .. Allah help those who help themselves ..:cheers:

Thank you for applying your mind so well to produce such a well thought out opinion.

In fact that was a missed opportunity on both sides, which indeed was the main agenda of the people who planned and executed the 26/11 attack- to ensure that such opportunities remain missed opportunities.

And thus the saga continues.............

The fact that Kurkure (i hope thats the right spelling) was assasinated so conveiniently in the midst of this whole catostraphe and that Col involved in the train blast are two huge question marks for the Indians.

Ins't it very strange that the person incharge of investigations was murdered so suddenly? possibly to hide some harsh facts pointing fingers at extremist elements within India who carried out these attacks? Does intgrity not demand that Kurkure's ambiguois murder must be investigated and a does this not smell of a repeat saga of oswald and jack ruby?

I also remember that Kurkure's wife also passed some statement indicating shady activity in the concerned authorities, so much so that she even implicated some high ups in the police department and other LEAs/intel orgs.

i feel that these two points are imperitive missimg links in getting some real answers and the fact that India always behaves so elusively in these two pointers is some what surrupticious.

We must not forget that there are elements on both sides of the border who do not want to see better relations between the two countries. And the fact that Mumbia relations between the two countries were at their best and were semly derailed is indicative that diplomate of both countires need to have enough forsite and understand the same.

India wants only to talk about mubia mubia nad mumbia, seem to me that its just an excuse of not wanting to better relations on purpose and take mumbia as an excuse.

We also found the indians trying to put words in Obama's mouth and branding pakistan as a terrorist state, but Obama refrained much to the dismay of India

:pakistan:

Last edited:
The fact that Kurkure (i hope thats the right spelling) was assasinated so conveiniently in the midst of this whole catostraphe and that Col involved in the train blast are two huge question marks for the Indians.

Ins't it very strange that the person incharge of investigations was murdered so suddenly? possibly to hide some harsh facts pointing fingers at extremist elements within India who carried out these attacks? Does intgrity not demand that Kurkure's ambiguois murder must be investigated and a does this not smell of a repeat saga of oswald and jack ruby?

I also remember that Kurkure's wife also passed some statement indicating shady activity in the concerned authorities, so much so that she even implicated some high ups in the police department and other LEAs/intel orgs.

i feel that these two points are imperitive missimg links in getting some real answers and the fact that India always behaves so elusively in these two pointers is some what surrupticious.

We must not forget that there are elements on both sides of the border who do not want to see better relations between the two countries. And the fact that Mumbia relations between the two countries were at their best and were semly derailed is indicative that diplomate of both countires need to have enough forsite and understand the same.

India wants only to talk about mubia mubia nad mumbia, seem to me that its just an excuse of not wanting to better relations on purpose and take mumbia as an excuse.

We also found the indians trying to put words in Obama's mouth and branding pakistan as a terrorist state, but Obama refrained much to the dismay of India

lol (no fun intended ) its karkare not kurkure. latter is a brand name of best selling chips in india.

investigation into death of karkare is going on. karkare was killed due to problem of substandard bullet proof jackets. the jackets supplied to mumbai police were substandard and many police officers and politicians were connected in this scam. his death was purely incidental and not due to a consiperacy (as it is widely belived in pakistan).

we also acknowledge that colonel purohit and several others right wing terrorists elements were involved in train blasts and their role is being questioned and many of them are under police custody.

contrary to popular belief prevalent in pakistan, these people are not the missing links in 26/11 case. name of pakistani ISI officer who coordinated the mumbai operation is the only missing link.

Indian media is being taken to task these days, chances of positive outcome are high.

I would say there is a element of mistrust/hate between two neighbours, but deep down their hearts they do wanna be closer to each other and they do understand the dirty games being played by other nations very well.

Elite whites do have problem with Asian races, be it japs, chinese or South Asians.

This is my analysis - i may not have any direct evidency to prove but if you look through uill find plenty.;)

lol (no fun intended ) its karkare not kurkure. latter is a brand name of best selling chips in india.

oops, my bad, did'nt mean pun either. I rspect that man.

investigation into death of karkare is going on. karkare was killed due to problem of substandard bullet proof jackets. the jackets supplied to mumbai police were substandard and many police officers and politicians were connected in this scam. his death was purely incidental and not due to a consiperacy (as it is widely belived in pakistan).

investigation still going ooonnnn. seems like deliberate delay tactics to me :smokin: we both have our own stories on our sides dont we, u beleive ISI is behind it, while we believe ur own govt rogue lements are at hand. to each his own .

we also acknowledge that colonel purohit and several others right wing terrorists elements were involved in train blasts and their role is being questioned and many of them are under police custody.

Procrastination again. there should be no questions as the whole involvment is crystal clear. i say apply 3rd egree and they'll spil their guts, or on second thought the col might have freinds in high places:azn:

contrary to popular belief prevalent in pakistan, these people are not the missing links in 26/11 case. name of pakistani ISI officer who coordinated the mumbai operation is the only missing link.

well, how come the interpol, CIA, UN didnt find any ISI links? seems nothing mora than allegations yet to be subsstanciated

the thing is, India claims Pakistan to be India-centric (which we are, and not withouth rhym or reason) where as India herself is highly Pakistan-centric

Back
Top Bottom