What's new

An open letter to Pakistani men, from a working class woman

Seriously?

Trump want to deport all the Muslims and when did I ever ask to deport all the non Muslims from Pakistan?
He wants to register Muslims and when did I say register all those non Muslims?
He wants to ban my religion in US and when did I say to do the same in Pakistan?

I fully support the freedom of religion.

Every society has its norms and they should respect it. American Muslims are not breaking those norms. That was not very sane of you.
Well dont take it personally but that was because of they should change for us thing
A general otherisation based on looks and lifestyle is what i call a Trumpian way
How different does it makes us from the Burkini and Mosque banners?
Do we wish to appear as bettet people or should we follow bhair chaal and embrace majoritarianism?

Sorry you can't force me to admit anything despite the fact you are TTA here

I would say change the locality and do not generalise over the whole country. I consider my family to be conservative, my sister does hijab, does not wear a niqab, drives a car and studies at KEMU and lives in the hostel. She was just once harassed (he just said something obnoxious..nothing more) by a male class mate but she dealt with him her own way and got him warning letter from the VC and got him banned from labs for two months ...
She drives a car in Multan, Lahore and Islamabad..she hasn't been harassed or scared beyond anything but some teenagers on bikes tried to chase her car...
Get your sister some strong nerves and martial arts training or change the location.

Perhaps you want to say Hail Trump :lol:
I think they use heil in German :D

Sorry you can't force me to admit anything despite the fact you are TTA here

I would say change the locality and do not generalise over the whole country. I consider my family to be conservative, my sister does hijab, does not wear a niqab, drives a car and studies at KEMU and lives in the hostel. She was just once harassed (he just said something obnoxious..nothing more) by a male class mate but she dealt with him her own way and got him warning letter from the VC and got him banned from labs for two months ...
She drives a car in Multan, Lahore and Islamabad..she hasn't been harassed or scared beyond anything but some teenagers on bikes tried to chase her car...
Get your sister some strong nerves and martial arts training or change the location.
That doesn't address the issue, and what you've said is easier said than done. You need money to change locality, and if she does, and the same situation arises? What then?

Fyi, my sister does know martial arts, and she has extremely strong nerves, I would ask you not to assume things about my sister's personality.

Also for me forcing you, I'm not forcing you to do anything. You know that the comparison is flawed, considering you haven't even defended it, so why make it?

Also "we", as in you myself and @war&peace don't really have a right to talk, as if we're living in Pakistan. We're, at this point, all foreigners. You both live in the US, and I live in Canada.

Perhaps you know or that I own a small business here and we implemented the dress code ( not uniform) for men and women at workplace so as to discourage the chances of any harassment. Most of the men and women welcomed it...we never had a case of harassment or at least did not reach me but as a precaution. Because we had some interns getting too liberal in the summers so some of the employees complained about it to the managers and they suggested it to me. And I'm the only Muslim in this company.

Perhaps you know or that I own a small business here and we implemented the dress code ( not uniform) for men and women at workplace so as to discourage the chances of any harassment. Most of the men and women welcomed it...we never had a case of harassment or at least did not reach me but as a precaution. Because we have some interns getting too liberal in summers so some of the employees complained about it to the managers and they suggested it to me. And I'm the only Muslim in this company.
Sure, but that's an anecdote; a professional setting, in a western nation, and not in generally public areas. It's not really a good argument to make.

That doesn't address the issue, and what you've said is easier said than done. You need money to change locality, and if she does, and the same situation arises? What then?

Fyi, my sister does know martial arts, and she has extremely strong nerves, I would ask you not to assume things about my sister's personality.

Also for me forcing you, I'm not forcing you to do anything. You know that the comparison is flawed, considering you haven't even defended it, so why make it?
Okay what can we do... (1) report to the police or (2) gather the elders in your society and try to solve this issue at communal level if you have cooperative neighbours. This harassment is mindset and it will take time to change but dropping the clothes will only worsen the situation and more guys will be harassing the girls... that's simple experiment.

This view is simplistic in nature. You cannot simply say that Pakistan was created for Islamic values. Let's behonest here, Pakistan is hardly Islamic in nature. If you want Islam, go to (if Sunni) KSA or (if Shia) Iran.

Describe what you mean by "in a good way, towards development".

As for Muslim women wanting the right to wear whatever they want, and working in different fields. We're so easy to criticize when a European nation, such as France, bans the Niqab and the Burka, but when it comes to Muslim nations, we ignore the same issues.

And for working in different fields, sure, but that's not the issue here. We can't simply keep looking at the good, and ignore that the bad doesn't exist. There is evil in society, such as harassment, which needs to be addressed.

You made my position even easier. If this is not the Islamic state so it isn't the secular or complete liberal country. Fella women need to realize it. South Asian countries are backward countries.

If they want respect so nothing wrong in avoiding whatever can make men stop hooting on them. If modest dressing can help so why not????

Also, I am not denying the harassment in our society. But Pakistan is the only country where women are harassed?
We should address and tackle down the problems. But why whining all the time? Women can do a lot to reduce all the problems are mentioned in this article. Will you agree?

Sir, I am not against women rights. I even have written a piece on it and posted here on forum. Islam is the first religion to officially give women their rights.

Wether you accept it or not, values of a society do play a vital role.

God created animals and dint cover there body and left them naked because they are animal and than God create humans and gave them cloths to cover their body! Their is a reason why human is superior than animals! But sadly some folks think following western culture will only make them progressive and modern!

Feminism is nothing but a bs concept of west that objectifies womens body and her sexuality! So good luck following west!

If you think that by revealing your skin you can progress gl!

And before feminist bs me there is also a code for men and they are also suppose to wear decent cloths to cover their body!

I dont understand one thing why is selling body considered progression?

Ps: selling body = following fashion thats displayed on huge bilboards where women are used as objects.

You made my position even easier. If this is not the Islamic state so it isn't the secular or complete liberal country. Fella women need to realize it. South Asian countries are backward countries.

If they want respect so nothing wrong in avoiding whatever can make men stop hooting on them. If modest dressing can help so why not????

Also, I am not denying the harassment in our society. But Pakistan is the only country where women are harassed?
We should address and tackle down the problems. But why whining all the time? Women can do a lot to reduce all the problems are mentioned in this article. Will you agree?

Sir, I am not against women rights. I even have written a piece on it and posted here on forum. Islam is the first religion to officially give women their rights.

To solve a problem you first need to educate society and best way to do that is by alarming them otherwise they de elop a complacent attitude

Okay what can we do... (1) report to the police or (2) gather the elders in your society and try to solve this issue at communal level if you have cooperative neighbours. This harassment is mindset and it will take time to change but dropping the clothes will only worsen the situation and more guys will be harassing the girls... that's simple experiment.
Yet, trying to dismiss anyone who even mentions harassment, solves nothing.

It is not just a mindset, it is against the law.

authorities should take immediate action and put all ladies in military in the same operational environment as those of men. they are getting equal privileges and should perform equal duties. send them to siachin,baltoro, shawal, khyber, hot scrambles in F-16s whenever any aerial threat emerges, field exercises in deserts etc. jab pay equal to kam be equal hona chahiya. men should also raise their voice for their rights.:D

but modest clothing doesn't seem to help. My sister is evidence that a niqab doesn't protect you from harassment, so this position is wrong.

That's like saying, rapes exist everyone, why are raped women whining? Just think about what you're saying.

Why put most of the burden on the women, when it is the men that cause the problem? So no, I don't agree.

I'm not saying you're against women, or that Islam is against women (I AM a practicing Muslim), but in your case, intentions and reality don't always go side by side. By trying to dismiss this article's very valid points, it is basically amounts to giving tacit approval of harassment.

Remember, for evil to win, all it takes is for good men to do nothing.

A society changes all the time. Do you think that your ancestors would approve of the way you live? The way you dress? The way you talk? I highly doubt it. They'd complain that you're insulting their cultural values, why? Because cultural values change. Pakistan is a lot more liberal than it was just 30 years ago.

authorities should take immediate action and put all ladies in military in the same operational environment as those of men. they are getting equal privileges and should perform equal duties. send them to siachin,baltoro, shawal, khyber, hot scrambles in F-16s whenever any aerial threat emerges, field exercises in deserts etc. jab pay equal to kam be equal hona chahiya. men should also raise their voice for their rights.:D
I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or not, but I would fully support that. It's high time Pakistan utilizes all of its population, and not just half.

such ladies should also take into consideration the statistics of rape all over the world before criticizing their own societies. google it and you will find the incidence of rape is highest in the societies they idealize. couple of weeks ago there was news on bbc regarding the ratio of sexual harassment of the ladies in canadian milatary. if i am not wrong about 30 % military women said that they were sexually harassed at some part in the careers.

I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or not, but I would fully support that. It's high time Pakistan utilizes all of its population, and not just half.
thank God you are not in any decision making position in this country. i dont need to say anything else.

Last edited:
Dear western cloth wearing women
This is Pakistan and millions of Pakistani women wear respectable clothing so your are not that special and if you really want to wear the western cloths then why don't you leave Pakistan and settle in the west...I'm pretty sure no one will be missing your presence.
im sure you exclusively wear shalwar kameez with waistcoat and jinnah cap too, right?
because if not then why dont you leave pakistan and settle in west....im sure no one will miss your presence.

But rather whining, why don't you forward to fix the problem.
was it women who were opposing the women protection law? whenever women in pakistan say anything at all they are called western stooges, prostitutes, sluts, bitches and what not. just look at the first reply on this topic, it'll give you a very clear idea of how the pakistani man thinks.

You are back with favorite topic. :lol:

Ok no serious note*

I am so freaking tired of women who play all innocent and victim of this society.

First thing, all these problems mentioned here are not only faced by working women but women in general. We need to STOP painting the right image with wrong colors and details.

This hooting of guys on motorcycles make you very uncomfortable, I agree. But it has nothing to do with 'working women'.

Almost all the women out there face some sort of harassment and uncomfortable environment because of men at their work place, restaurants, shopping malls etc. But that does NOT only happen in Pakistan. For heaven sake, stop it.

This happen across the globe. I do agree it's worse in Pakistan. But rather whining, why don't you forward to fix the problem.

When you are being harassed, complain about it. Why remaining quiet?

You are being hooted? Slap this dude hard. You are a working woman and believe you are a strong women so???

Who is stopping you?

We need to stop complaining every time and start finding out the solutions for the problems.
The problem i think is in conservative societies, there are boundaries drawn up to prevent intermingling and that causes these 'nature' frustrations. Women need to take a baton and kick it where it hurts to those who hurl these cat calls. Mamas!!!... go for it and take control..... It is about time that balance is restored; a society that pushes women does not realise how much potential 50% of the population can contribute to education, health and society in general vs staying at home and watching tv.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom