What's new

An Indo-Arab blunder?

Contrarian

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
An Indo-Arab blunder?

When I compare how India used to view the Palestinian question, back when I was counsellor to the Egyptian Embassy in New Delhi 25 years ago, with how it does now, I cannot help but wonder how things change. I was posted in New Delhi in the late 1970s and early 1980s, when India was a major supporter of the Palestinian cause. The very idea of having diplomatic ties with Israel was offensive to most Indians.

I once monitored a meeting of late Indian prime minister Indira Gandhi with a group of Jewish Indians in Mumbai and then wrote an article about it for the Cairo-based periodical Al-Siyasa Al-Dawliya (Foreign Policy), speculating on the future of relations between India and Israel. In response, the Indian ambassador in Cairo filed an official protest with the Egyptian Foreign Ministry, expressing outrage that I brought up the possibility that India may one day move close to Israel. At present, relations between New Delhi and Israel are of strategic nature, with both countries in close touch, waging a common war against terror. Both have succeeded in damning the Palestinian resistance and the Kashmir insurgence as terrorist, not national liberation movements. India and Israel cooperate in many fields, including military and nuclear technology. So much we know for fact.

One question is in order, however. What made India change its mind and throw itself in the arms of a country that occupies Arab and Palestinian land, to the point where it has played host to Ariel Sharon? India and Israel have their own separate political agendas. India wishes to have access to US and Israeli technology, particularly in the development of weapons. Israel, for its part, wishes to have the political backing of a powerful nation. Besides, both countries have a common interest in monitoring the nuclear programmes of Iran and Pakistan. Let's now examine some of the reasons that made India change its mind.

First, we have made the error of viewing the Indian- Pakistani conflict from an Islamic perspective. We have tried to "Islamise" the ongoing conflict in south Asia, posing as protectors of Islam and custodians of the international community. And we have overlooked the regional role of India, with Arab leaders showing up in New Delhi much less frequently than before.

Secondly, when India applied for membership of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC), the response was extraordinary. A country with 120 million Muslim citizens applied to membership and what happened? Islamic countries, in typical naiveté, rejected the Indian application, imagining this would please Pakistan and teach India a lesson. The right thing to do, of course, would have been to co-opt this major country and give it OIC membership. This would have put the brakes on Indian rapprochement with Israel. An Arab-Indian rapprochement may have even alleviated, not increased, the pressure on Pakistan. Imparting a religious coating on a conflict between two neighbouring countries was a political misjudgement, and a sign of Arab miscalculation.

Thirdly, India was close to the former Soviet Union and, as a major country of the Non-Aligned Movement, critical of US policies. That was during the Cold War, but things have changed since then. India has forged close links with the US due to political as well as technological reasons. And its newly acquired superiority in ICT proves it knew what it was doing. India has also succeeded in replacing Pakistan as the US favourite country in the region. I wouldn't be surprised to see India assume the role of a policeman in the Indian Ocean and the outskirts of the Gulf, with US blessing and with the aim of encircling so-called Islamic violence. This would be in harmony with Israel's agenda, and it may pave the way to a scheme of joint control over the Greater Middle East.

Fourthly, Some Arab countries have pursued a balanced policy towards the conflict in south Asia. Under Gamal Abdel-Nasser, Egypt was so close to India that the latter had no motive to flirt with Israel. Back then, India was a staunch supporter of the Palestinian people, and I still remember that the Palestinian ambassador to New Delhi enjoyed the privilege of meeting the Indian prime minister at anytime he wished to do so. But as the Islamic phenomenon spread and some Arab policies acquired a religious tint, India grew visibly suspicious of the Arab and Islamic worlds. To make things worse, Arab diplomacy in India was lackadaisical over the past two decades.

Fifthly, the Indians are a practical and smart people, so are the Pakistanis. It is advisable for us to maintain balanced relations with both. Both countries are nuclear powers and are highly regarded across the Arab world. Having good ties with both countries makes sense at these turbulent times.

We have lost India so far for no good reason, I should say. We have failed to stay close to an industrially advanced state, one with nuclear and space capabilities. We have failed to do so although there is a clear ethnic resemblance between the Indian subcontinent, including Pakistan and Bangladesh, and the people in our Arab world. It is time we mend this error. It is time to bring Arab countries closer to both India and Pakistan, rather than take one side or keep our distance altogether. I believe the Arabs have only themselves to blame for India's change of heart on the Palestinian question.

In early 2003, I was in New Delhi with a parliamentary delegation. It was my first to India in over 20 years. I met the Indian national security adviser, who is a veteran politician, and he told me his country, despite its close links with Israel, is committed to legitimate Palestinian rights. Such attitude is encouraging, and it makes me think that the Arab League, whose current secretary-general was once an ambassador to India, should start a coordinated effort to improve Arab links with India. We need to bring back the balance to our policy and revive the old friendship, while maintaining our close bonds with Pakistan.

Some people have taken issue with what I mentioned about the need to integrate the Arab mindset into the current global mindset. They called my assertion an assault on local identity and a sabotage of the pan-Arab character. I still believe that this is a responsible way of addressing our problems, that this is the way forward in the context of comprehensive reform -- the reform that countries in this region seek, the reform that emanates from their own fabric and expresses their own resolve. We must distinguish between two things. One is comprehensive revision, which makes transformation a part of reform. The other is uncalculated compromises that lead to a general sense of capitulation of other people's wishes. Only the latter I am against. International isolation is impossible. Let me say this loud and clear. This is what history tells us, this is the spirit of the age, and this is how things are.

* The writer is chairman of parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee.
Al-Ahram Weekly | International | Commentary: An Indo-Arab blunder?

In relations with countries, name of the game is pragmatism, rather than knee-jerk short term policies or responses to events.

Too late I believe. India plays the game according to its needs. Now, with a BJP government in power and likely to remain in power for a long time, it will be extremely difficult for the Arab nations to reverse the trend. The writer makes some valid points though.

brilliantly written, the investments India have in middle-east even with present cold shoulder is staggering
We don't ask middle east to choose side, we ask them for cordial relationship without interfering in Kashmir

Very interesting article.

So some Arab realize that Indians feel cheated by Arabs after getting India's blind support for Palestine.

Too late I believe. India plays the game according to its needs. Now, with a BJP government in power and likely to remain in power for a long time, it will be extremely difficult for the Arab nations to reverse the trend. The writer makes some valid points though.

Arabs aren't going to change and the proof is their anti-India resolution regarding Kashmir passed in OIC every year.

It started mostly as a payback to Arab countries meddling in Kashmir issue since 90s. Before that India was staunch supporter of Palestinian cause. Yaseer Arafat even referred Indira Gandhi as his sister. But over the span of 2 decades particularly during the Vajpayee regime the bilateral relationship of both countries improved to such an extant that both countries now share close strategic and defence relationship. I really wish Modi to be the first PM to visit Israel.

So some Arab realize that Indians feel cheated by Arabs after getting India's blind support for Palestine.

Arabs aren't going to change and the proof is their anti-India resolution regarding Kashmir passed in OIC every year.
Well said, national interest comes first and for us the choice is simple. Which is why it was boggling that we headed off in the other direction (another of those Nehruvian blunders) with zero dividends and rewards in the first place. It wasn't and isn't our job to worry about human rights issues in that part of the world, perhaps beyond the token statements at the UN

one thing which is to be understood is that india will have diplomatic relationships based upon its strategic interests.
this will be irrespective of religion or which government comes to power in india.

if india supports israel , so does it keep close relationship with iran as well.
it is business as usual with iran even under sactions and american bullying.
not because we love islam but bcz of our own oil & energy requirements.

in the past few decades india has been a victim of jihadi terrorism in kashmir and other parts of india during the 70s situation was completely different.

relations with israel grew under NDA during kargil , when upa came to power everyone thought there will be a decline since congress is the self appointed thekedar of muslims in india but for everyone's surprise the relationship was further strengthened which reinforces the fact that which ever govt comes to power israel will continue to be strategic partner.

Even if india does nor support Israel what's that gona change?- Nothing-

India will still be a silent entity in the face of attriocitie committed against the Palestinians-

Let us be honest here for a second.

What is it that India can give the Arab world (22 countries in total and about 450 million people) that fellow Muslim countries and main allies and trading partners such as USA, China, West Europe cannot give us?

On the other hand India is still largely dependent on natural resources originating from the Arab world due to the growing demand and very high population.

Also there are millions of Indian citizens working in the Arab world. I think that they send the most remittances back to india of all regions in the world.

On the other hand the Arab world (in particular the Arabian Peninsula across the Arabian Sea) and Northern/Western India have enjoyed an ancient cultural and trade connection that is still vivid to this day.

Trade and cultural links between ancient Arabia and ancient India date back to third millennium BC.[1]

Heptulla, Nejma. Indo-West Asian relations: the Nehru era. Allied Publishers, 1991. ISBN 9788170233404.

India does not need to be for or against Israel as they are not the main players in that conflict nor even located in the region. I struggle to see what weight India's words carry in Israel. Contrary to the words of for instance the US or EU.

Very interesting opinion.
But it seems we did the right thing.We offer our maximum support to Palestiniane cause and showed friendly attitude towards
Arab world.But they rejected us.It was their choice and unwantedly needling in Kashmir issue.
But look at the Israel we opposed their basic idea of attacks against Palestinian and grabing their lands.It is their emotional issue.
But all this development dont discourage our relations with Israel.They support us in Kashmir issue.
But now Its too late.I dont see a radical change from both sides.

India does not need to be for or against Israel as they are not the main players in that conflict nor even located in the region. I struggle to see what weight India's words would have in Israel. Contrary to the words of for instance the US or EU.

There is no interest in India to interfere in conflict across the world but we also expect Arabs to stay out of South Asia and stop issuing that bizarre anti-India resolution in OIC related to Kashmir.

Last edited:
Even if india does nor support Israel what's that gona change?- Nothing-

India will still be a silent entity in the face of attriocitie committed against the Palestinians-

And look at the Israel advantages from this relationship.

Back
Top Bottom