What's new

An End to the Gurkhas?

Originally Posted by Jackdaws
"This chest-thumping by peoples of various ethnicities is one of the biggest problems in the subcontinent. "

Quite correct my friend.
And we do not really need to indulge in this kind of exercises. Every group of people has some some speciality, something that they excel at. We should not feel the slightest discomfort to acknowledge that fact.

And this thing about "Martial Races" which came up earlier, is a misnomer really. Especially if you consider it to mean a 'measure' of courage or bravery. Obviously bravery is not the preserve of any single person or group of persons. And as a corollary, bravery is not a 'physical' thing or related to physical attributes or strengths.

However if you consider it (Martial Races theory) to consider whether a certain group of people are 'likely to take up soldiering', it is not entirely invalid.
In other words, it is solely a sociological tool. The British only chose to give it some 'political' overtones for their own reasons.

In consequence, it will be stupid to search statistics to find (for example) how many Birlas or Agarwals are there in the ranks of the Indian Army ?

Now the topic was Gorkhas or rather the "Gurkha Brigade". By the sociological parameters, they were suited and likely to take up soldiering; which they did in large numbers.

@ Jackdaws
i need to clarify one matter to you. About the influx of funds in to the Indian Economy; NRI remittances preceded FDI a long time ago. As a matter of fact, no body else wanted to invest in India (partly because there was not much to invest in) given the Economic scene. FDI came in only after opening up the economy.
p.s. i should know; have been sending money in, since the late 1970s.

This chest-thumping by peoples of various ethnicities is one of the biggest problems in the subcontinent.

You are right but this is how they draw pride in their race and tribe for which they fight for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom