What's new

An End to the Gurkhas?

This is a sad news.

Many ancestors of mine had been fighting side by side with Gurkhas in Tribal Region of NWFP, Afghanistan and in World Wars. They praise abilities of Gurkhas as fighter and soldiers.

One of my close friend and Major in Pak Army fought against a Gurkha Battalion in Kargil. Most of them were heavily drunk while climbing towards the peak where he was holding a peak with handful of his men. In his opinion, Gurkha soldiers are good but not as good as it is generally believed or narrated.

I think Indian Army should get that UK Brigade and amalgamate this to Indian Army.

Exactly! If you were with them, you were all kinds of great things; loyal, trustworthy, brave. If you weren't with them (or if you were Bengali) you were: weak, disloyal, not lively.

And like you said, it's racist b.s. If you check Wikipedia, you will find that Bengalis were actually a martial race, until they rebelled. After that, we were labelled as "disloyal" and crap like that. Goes to show how valid this theory really is. Now I'm not sure if the part about Bengalis ever being a Martial Race is true or not (would appreciate someone shedding some light on this for me), but knowing the British, I'd believe it.

Martial Race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I dont think Bengalis were disloyal or lacking in martial prowess. Bhagat Singh had many Bengali comrades like Jatin Das (Bagha Jatin) and others. They werent afraid to use violence against the British.

But personally, I seriously dont know whats about the Bengalis now. Very few of them want to join the Armed Forces. They are in fact more cerebral in nature and detest violence or physical aggression.

This is a sad news.

Many ancestors of mine had been fighting side by side with Gurkhas in Tribal Region of NWFP, Afghanistan and in World Wars. They praise abilities of Gurkhas as fighter and soldiers.

One of my close friend and Major in Pak Army fought against a Gurkha Battalion in Kargil. Most of them were heavily drunk while climbing towards the peak where he was holding a peak with handful of his men. In his opinion, Gurkha soldiers are good but not as good as it is generally believed or narrated.

I think Indian Army should get that UK Brigade and amalgamate this to Indian Army.

Those British Gorkas accustomed to English way of life and training will feel Indian army life bit too harsh, unsatisfactory, lacking facilities and Quality.

These things might be morale booster for them and may end up lacking motivation. Last I checked was 1pound = Rs 80!

This is a sad news.

No offence, but I dont know how someone enjoying the higher ground on a rock cut mountain at 18,000ft and an advantage of 10:1 can talk about his opponent's bravery.

Has it every been proved whether these Gurkha soldiers (or any Martial Race for that matter) are really the skilled fighters that they are said to be? I'm not trying to criticize these men, just curious.

I am not very sure about Gurkhas.

But I am sue that Phatans or Pushtuns of NWFP or KPK province of Pakistan and neighboring Afghanistan are born fighters.

They are superb marksman, excellent in field craft and very dangerously good in surprising opposing side.

They have defeated UK in 19th century, USSR in 20th Century and are about to defeat USA in 21 century - no other nation on the Globe possess such record.

deleted, not needed

Last edited:
I am not very sure about Gurkhas.

But I am sue that Phatans or Pushtuns of NWFP or KPK province of Pakistan and neighboring Afghanistan are born fighters.

They are superb marksman, excellent in field craft and very dangerously good in surprising opposing side.

They have defeated UK in 19th century, USSR in 20th Century and are about to defeat USA in 21 century - no other nation on the Globe possess such record.

Sir wrt to Afghanistan, it's guerrilla tactics and harsh terrain which is the problematic thing. Plus, in war it's strategies which count the most, brash and rash attitude only end up in defeat and death.

A lion leading a bunch of sheeps is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
But personally, I seriously dont know whats about the Bengalis now. Very few of them want to join the Armed Forces. They are in fact more cerebral in nature and detest violence or physical aggression.

That makes whole South India, Maharastra, Bihar, UP etc also cerebral and detesting violence type. 80 % of IA recruits are from North West parts of India.

deleted, not needed

Last edited:
Sir wrt to Afghanistan, it's guerrilla tactics and harsh terrain which is the problematic thing. Plus, in war it's strategies which count the most, brash and rash attitude only end up in defeat and death.

A lion leading a bunch of sheeps is perfectly fine.

My dear we are talking about Martial Race Theory - Not about waging wars at grand scale.

deleted, not needed

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom