What's new

An End to the Gurkhas?

So am I to assume that the British army and the Indian army still believes in the theory of Martial Races?

I believe that there are certain characteristics which generally comes to one's character those can be attributed to ruggedness of terrain they belong to or their family professions. If you remove all spectacles and look around you will agree but do remember this is a general rule not a thumb rule.:coffee:

deleted, not needed

Last edited:
Both the Bengalis as well as the Marathas were removed from the list of Martial Races - the likes of Mangal Pandey were from the Bengal Regiment if you remember and his incident took place in Barrackpore, West Bengal. The likes of Tatya Tope and Rani of Jhansi were once part of Maratha Empire. Anyhow, I guess the whole martial race was discarded by India in 1950 when the new constitution came about - am unsure if Pakistan scrapped it - but they did look down upon the Banglas - erstwhile East Pakistanis as being non-martial. I read in a book - when the first troops arrived in East Pakistan in '71 they marveled at the fertile soil and said, "Imagine what would happen to Punjab if the soil was so fertile"; to which his superior replied, "You would become effeminate like the Bengalis."
Any Pakistani citizen who full fills laid down criteria for joining armed forces can join service of his choice irrespective of area or caste he belongs to. Equal opportunity for everyone to prove his worth.

deleted, not needed

Last edited:
Just want add to the discussion; It's wrong to say Punjubis and Pashtuns were loyal to British and disloyal to country during 1857. Things don't work in that way in military where troops and their commanding officer share an unique relationship. An British officer would have killed his own tribe upon a racial insult to his gurkha soldier.

Agreed

WRT martial race, it has been royally debunked after BD's victory over so-called martial race.

Don't discredit IA

I don't think Bengalis are less brave than any other race,

Squadron Leader M M Alam, an East Pakistani killed four jets in less than 30 seconds. He is SJ and Bar, enough to prove his bravery and other Bengali's

I heard during 65's war, Bengali regiment of East Pakistan strapped anti-tank mine with their body and jumped in front of advancing Indians tanks. That's not quite out of Pakistani war doctrine.

This incident is not attributed to any Bengali or East Pakistani Regiment, It was Battle of Chawinda fought by west Pakistani soldiers

deleted, not needed

Last edited:
I am not very sure about Gurkhas.

But I am sue that Phatans or Pushtuns of NWFP or KPK province of Pakistan and neighboring Afghanistan are born fighters.

They are superb marksman, excellent in field craft and very dangerously good in surprising opposing side.

They have defeated UK in 19th century, USSR in 20th Century and are about to defeat USA in 21 century - no other nation on the Globe possess such record.

Count Rajputs in!
Count the Nishan e Haider tht Rajputs were awarded!
Count the Victoria crosses
Count the Veer chakras!

Also afghans terrain make it hard... im also a Hill Rajput!
The RED WARRIOR BLOOD runs in our viens!
Bapa Rawal a Rajput was the father of Gorkhas.

This incident is not attributed to any Bengali or East Pakistani Regiment, It was Battle of Chawinda fought by west Pakistani soldiers

There's some incident in 65's war in East Pakistan also, ask Bangladeshi members, they might know.

Martial races in indian army:
The martial race classification, which was created by the British, is still having a huge influence on the recruiting policies of the Indian Army. It is claimed that the martial races are given undeserved priority during the recruitment of soldiers. Huge uproar resulted when army recruiters in Jammu advertised for fresh recruits during 2001. The advertisement said: "No vacancies for Muslims and tradesmen" (meaning martial races like Rajputs can apply, but merchant castes like Muslims and Khatris are not welcome).[56]
The state-wide recruitment figures for the Indian Army prove that states like Punjab, Haryana, Uttaranchal, Rajastan and Himachal Pradesh are much over-represented compared to other Indian states.[57]

State Pct of Population Pct of Soldiers Over Representation Martial Races
Uttar Pradesh/Uttaranchal 17.0% 15.58% -8% Jat, Thakur, Pahari Rajput, Gurjar[24]
Maharashtra/Goa 9.5% 7.64% -20% Maratha, Mahar
Bihar 10.7% 5.13% -52% Bhumihar, Rajput
West Bengal 7.8% 3.63% -53% NA
Andhra Pradesh 7.4% 4.08% -45% NA
Tamil Nadu 6.2% 5.09% -18% Thevar
Madhya Pradesh 7.9% 5.13% -35% Thakur
Rajasthan 5.5% 7.04% +28% Rajput, Gurjar[24], Jat
Karnataka 5.1% 2.81% -45% Coorgese, Bunt
Gujarat 4.9% 1.48% -70% Rajput, Gurjar[24]
Orissa 3.6% 1.27% -65% Khandayat
Kerala 3.1% 5.38% +74% Nair
Assam & North-East India 3.8% 4.05% +7% Gorkha, Meitei
Punjab 2.4% 15.30% +538% Jat, Awan , Dogra, Gujar, Janjua , Kamboh, Khattar, Labana, Mahton, Mughal, Pathan, Saini[32], Sial , Syed, etc. [24]
Haryana 2.2% 7.82% +255% Jat, Rajput, Gujjar[24]
Delhi 1.4% NA NA Gurjar[24], Jat, Rajput
Jammu and Kashmir 1.0% 2.92% +192% Dogra Rajput
Himachal Pradesh 0.6% 4.68% +680% Thakur

The intake of officers to Indian Military Academy also shows a clear-cut bias towards the Northwestern states. A whopping 12.32% of the officers were from Punjab, while a further 10.90% were from Haryana and Chandigarh. Other over-represented states included Delhi (9.21%), Himachal Pradesh (3.73%), Jammu and Kashmir (2.97%), Uttar Pradesh-Uttaranchal (23.24%) & Rajastan (4.33%). Under represented states includes Andhra Pradesh (3.78%), Assam (0.55%), Bihar (5.34%), West Bengal (2.47%), Gujarat (0.52%), Kerala (5.26%), Karnataka (3.02%), Maharashtra (4.22%), Madhya Pradesh (3.89%), Orissa (1.32%) & Tamil Nadu (2.30%).[58]

Just you sitting in Indian doesn't make you great. and me outside makes me no contributor, if you check most of the money coming to India is from NRIs, so don't have such a fixated mindset, if you try you can be in Indian Army, in 2008 Mumbai Attack the army guy who was killed was from B'lore and from Bihar regiment.

P.S looks like you are Indian bengali, I am sorry if you took it in a wrong way, get fit and try giving a chance to appear in Army test.

LOL - most money coming into India is not from NRIs - FDIs come through all sorts of funds. I don't want to discuss the whole Bengali-Sikh thing with you guys though.

Count Rajputs in!
Count the Nishan e Haider tht Rajputs were awarded!
Count the Victoria crosses
Count the Veer chakras!

Also afghans terrain make it hard... im also a Hill Rajput!
The RED WARRIOR BLOOD runs in our viens!
Bapa Rawal a Rajput was the father of Gorkhas.

Relax man he praised Pathans but did not undermine Rajputs.

RAJPUTS ARE GREAT FIGHTERS

Its history proven but others are also proven fighters
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

This chest-thumping by peoples of various ethnicities is one of the biggest problems in the subcontinent.

Back
Top Bottom