What's new

American Thoughts on Living in India

Thanks I think the weather will be good, it's winter in India in when we will be there so the weather will be beautiful, not sure if we should go to Goa or Kerala, I hear Goa is pretty bad now, not family friendly?

Well that is what I am hearing from net since I too havent visited Goa not sure about it. May be any one staying near or in Goa can give an real state of affairs.

Guy's do we have some one from Goa here?

Thanks I think the weather will be good, it's winter in India in when we will be there so the weather will be beautiful, not sure if we should go to Goa or Kerala, I hear Goa is pretty bad now, not family friendly?

yaa kerala is much safer than goa....... it will be carnival time during dec in goa.... so lots of rush,fun and mad partying wud be gng on there at that time....

Yeah Kerala and Goa are on the list, but need to take one out, so I think Goa will be out, especially around that time as I hear that Goa around that time is full of kids, tourist from overseas etc just looking to party and not very good for families.

Out in rural India, Americans or any European will have hard time. Big Cities obviously it is possible.

This Italian man is a cycle rickshaw driver in madras. looks like a south Asian! :

Last edited by a moderator:

Goa also does have a drug problem....but not a lot of Indian tourist from Mumbai at least go during this time...we prefer summer season for Goa

Yeah Goa does look very nice, but yeah just that I don't think at this time of the year it is too family friendly.

Shatterpoint, all I can say is, you are in love.
And when you are in love, you are blind, deaf and dumb to reality.

As a first time visitor with two girl childs, it is your duty to be mindful of dangers and not carried away by emotions.
Please be super careful when you visit a new country especially one which is completely different from your own.
I am very worried that your trip might end in disaster.
Read lonelyplanet guide and visit indiamike.com, and again be safe. You can always see 'real' India in your next trip.

Thanks hinduguy, my girls and son are in love with India and so is my wife, I am trying to keep my head straight, but in any country you need to use common sense, thank you for posting and thank you to all the Indian poster for being honest, I am looking forward to seeing everything the good, bad and ugly.

Thanks rubyjackass, the thing is that my kids are in love with India now after reading and watching shows on TV about it, I am not sure how we are going to explain to them the poverty etc, we have tried to tell them about the poverty and they said they want to help, my kids a good kids and they are packing some of their toys etc to give to the poor.

I know India has many and vast problems, but we are open minded people and we know that in a country with a population so big it's hard for everyone, I am sure we will enjoy it, yes we are going to be shocked by the extreme poverty etc, but yes we will be amazed by the beauty as well.

Such a kind little hearts, may the almighty blessing always be with them.

@Shatterpoint

Obviously you know nothing about South Asia. Poor here is not innocent, some of them are drug dealers. If you give them money they might follow you home threatning to kill you if you don't empty out your pockets. I'd advise your children not to go near them.

Not a bad point.

Jellodragon we will stand out obviously, we are white, the two daughters are blonde etc, but yeah I doubt many of the things you say.

And now that's some positive attitude.

Americans wants to live in india on the other hand indian peoples want to live in America but thts 100% sure if every indian get an opportunity to live in America they will all run from india in case of Americans people they are only few peoples 0.1% who want to live in india.

one another solution for u people why dont you people exchange ur countries for 1 or 2 decades :P then i should say God bless America

I don't know about the rest of India, but the place where i live has many foreigners of French and British origin.

Yeah Goa does look very nice, but yeah just that I don't think at this time of the year it is too family friendly.

Welcome to India, for me when I think about Goa it reminds me of three things Party, party and party, you can try Pondicherry and Kodakanal, I think Kerala would be a good destination, as per your interest you can visit Himachal Pradesh and if you are interested in visiting North East, My home place, I would Prefer Kazaranga National Park the home place for one horned Rhino and Majuli, the claimed biggest river island of the world with both primitive races and rich cultural heritage within, more over you should receive a travel advisory about where to visit and where not to, during monsoon water logging in certain places may occur and maybe within you trip you would like to addon Nepal and Bhutan.

Include Pondicherry and Darjeeling. My home is just 35 km away from Darjeeling.

Darjeeling2.jpg

Do i need to say more? :)

Back
Top Bottom