What's new

American Football

Nothing can compare to the fan culture of Normal football IMO.

Yes, NFL fans are not as rabid and violent like Soccer fans. But do not mistake lack of violence for lack of passion.

I personally do not prefer comparing the two games, the Coach-Call-Strategy aspect of NFL makes it totally different from many sports out there.

Yes, NFL fans are not as rabid and violent like Soccer fans. But do not mistake lack of violence for lack of passion.

I personally do not prefer comparing the two games, the Coach-Call-Strategy aspect of NFL makes it totally different from many sports out there.

Im not talking about the hooligans im talking about the chanting the supporter groups chanting before there even allowed inside the stadium

I remember when Harry kewell returned to Australia to play for Melb Victory and Melb vVctory fans were chanting at his arrival at the airport in the early morning.

In the english premier league fans come to games despite the chance of winning the EPL outside the big four clubs is very very slim.

Im not talking about the hooligans im talking about the chanting the supporter groups chanting before there even allowed inside the stadium

I remember when Harry kewell returned to Australia to play for Melb Victory and Melb vVctory fans were chanting at his arrival at the airport in the early morning.

In the english premier league fans come to games despite the chance of winning the EPL outside the big four clubs is very very slim.

There is always unique about some sports. Soccer has universal popularity. NFL, you have at least live in North America for getting a feel of what it is about.. the tail-gating experience etc. College Football has lot of tradition to them.

It takes some time to understand American Football, once you get a hang of it.. it is hard to let go. I love American Football it is truly awesome sport, in-spite of the brutal physical nature of it.

There is always unique about some sports. Soccer has universal popularity. NFL, you have at least live in North America for getting a feel of what it is about.. the tail-gating experience etc. College Football has lot of tradition to them.

It takes some time to understand American Football, once you get a hang of it.. it is hard to let go. I love American Football it is truly awesome sport, in-spite of the brutal physical nature of it.

I might find it hard when we have rugby league and union with no padding even australian football all have hard hits and free flow gameplay.

Maybe i just watched a boring game i remember there was all these stops and hardly any tackles:S.

Ill catch the next game they show them live on foxtel.

60%
thats funny. Football is not all about power. There are other things too

Soccer player are endurance machines,I once saw a documentry on ESPN showing how soccer players do fitness training,those guys were running on the treadmill at a speed of 20 km/h thats 4.5 minutes per mile.

Do you watching boxing,Sir?

Soccer player are endurance machines,I once saw a documentry on ESPN showing how soccer players do fitness training,those guys were running on the treadmill at a speed of 20 km/h thats 4.5 minutes per mile.

Do you watching boxing,Sir?

Technique, finesse, tactical nous, everything is needed in football.

Intelligence most of all.

Squash and boxing are right up there with endurance sports.

Well Mr. Fatman, the great Drew Breeeeeesssss is coming to your town!!!!!

Your opinion!!!!!!!

Technique, finesse, tactical nous, everything is needed in football.

Intelligence most of all.

All this is needed in American Football also, beside the endurance that the real Football Fans always talk about... But What makes this game the best is the strategic value based on each players, and that could be defending or charging... Let me go further, It is like a WAR (when this game is played, and I am giving you one part only here), you have to protect your best asset so he can make the best decisions for the play at hand, and that requires the best protection in the front in order for him to do that. If the front is not well protected then the decisions are not well made. Likewise, If one part of the front is broken, then that changes the whole ball game and know a new strategy has to be form to control the situation!!!!!!!!

In other words a chess game is played thru out the game of each players against opposition..........

Understand or did I just confused all the doubters........

Thanks....

Well Mr. Fatman, the great Drew Breeeeeesssss is coming to your town!!!!!

Your opinion!!!!!!!

well i'm literally shaking in my boots! my heart says SF will somehow win, but logic dictates otherwise!

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

also congrats to the texans for beating cincy pretty easily!

well i'm literally shaking in my boots! my heart says SF will somehow win, but logic dictates otherwise!

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

also congrats to the texans for beating cincy pretty easily!

Yes, that was a surprise for me also, where a rookie quaterback had the potential.........

Anyways, the 49ers and saints (defense versus offense) what a combination..... Let's see who wins...........

Thanks..

Yes, that was a surprise for me also, where a rookie quaterback had the potential.........

Anyways, the 49ers and saints (defense versus offense) what a combination..... Let's see who wins...........

Thanks..

pray for rain on Jan 14th and candlestick will turn into a muddy field. thats the only way to stop this guy. the 49er front-7 have to have the 'game of their lives'

pray for rain on Jan 14th and candlestick will turn into a muddy field. thats the only way to stop this guy. the 49er front-7 have to have the 'game of their lives'

Well We are in one page, if Falcons wins tomorrow..........

49ers: 30 years ago, photographer caught The Catch

Ron Kroichick, Chronicle Staff Writer

San Francisco Chronicle January 7, 2012

Saturday, January 7, 2012

The 49ers' Dwight Clark catches the winning touchdown in the NFC Championship Game against the Dallas Cowboys on Jan. 10, 1982.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thirty years later, John Storey remains grateful it was Joe Montana scrambling to his right on that memorable January 1982 day. Another quarterback might not have artfully lobbed his pass high into the end zone the way Montana did.

And then Dwight Clark might not have made The Catch.

And then Storey might not have snapped The Photo.

Tuesday marks the 30th anniversary of the most famous single moment in Bay Area sports history. Montana rolls out of the pocket, backpedals, pump fakes, spots Clark, throws the ball ... and a 49ers dynasty is born.

Storey, then a 26-year-old photographer for the San Francisco Examiner (following and preceding stints at The Chronicle), watched it all unfold from the side of the end zone. His classic shot shows Clark high in the air, stretching skyward to corral the pass as Cowboys cornerback Everson Walls watches helplessly.

It's an extraordinary, enduring image - and, as Storey pointed out, it conveys Montana's touch as much as Clark's leaping ability.

"You can see from the picture that Dwight is much taller than the defensive back," Storey, now 56 , said recently. "That was Joe's genius, to throw it up there. It wasn't a John Elway pass - that might have been somewhere in the bleachers, he threw so damn hard."

Beginning of dynasty
The touchdown, of course, propelled the 49ers to a 28-27 victory over Dallas in the NFC Championship Game. Two weeks later, they beat Cincinnati to win their first Super Bowl title and launch an incomparable stretch of five championships in 14 seasons.

Storey's photo filled nearly the entire front page of the next day's Examiner, accompanied by the headline, "Super!" Even then, before the spate of titles, this was a transcendent moment in Bay Area sports - the 49ers had finally conquered the Cowboys.

They might not have finished the job without big plays from Eric Wright (game-saving tackle), Lawrence Pillers (forced fumble) and Jim Stuckey (fumble recovery) on Dallas' last-chance drive. But the lingering image quickly became The Catch, partly because of Storey's shot and another famous photo by Sports Illustrated's Walter Iooss Jr. (which ran on the magazine's cover).

Storey recalled jostling for position as the 49ers moved toward their go-ahead touchdown. The sideline was crowded with people, as usual, but he found a desirable spot along one side of the north end zone - across the field from where Montana scrambled.

He had two cameras, one with a 400-millimeter lens for capturing action at a distance. That's the camera he used to track Montana as he drifted toward the opposite sideline, evaded the pass rush and eventually floated the ball toward the back of the end zone.

Storey quickly whirled to follow the pass - he didn't change cameras, given the distance - and snapped away as the ball settled into Clark's hands. The crowd erupted. Clark spiked the ball. And Storey looked at the back of his camera to see if he captured the moment, right?

No. Remember, this was 1982.

Pre-digital cameras
Storey suspected he had a good shot of The Catch, but he didn't know with certainty for several hours. He returned to the Examiner office, processed his film, scanned the negatives - and, yes, he had a clear and dramatic shot of Clark snatching the ball out of the air.

"It was exciting," Storey said. "Back then, you didn't know (at first) if it was sharp."

Another photographer, Lee Romero, suggested Storey crop the photo vertically. That allowed the newspaper to fill its front page with the image of Clark reaching for the heavens to catch Montana's pass.

The Examiner sold thousands of extra editions on Jan. 11, 1982, and even turned the photo into a modestly profitable poster. Storey got $100 in a bonus from the paper.

But he landed a priceless shot - that's former Chronicle columnist Ray Ratto in the background, incidentally, wearing a white tie and looking mighty young - and a cool memory.

"Everybody says they were there," Storey said of The Catch. "At least I have a picture to prove it."

E-mail Ron Kroichick at rkroichick@sfchronicle.com.

thats how long i've been following the 49ers!

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Well We are in one page, if Falcons wins tomorrow..........

u guys stand a good chance to beat the giants - they are running hot and cold!

Back
Top Bottom