What's new

American attack aftermath: Pakistan declares attack a 'plot'

US vacating Shamsi air base, says Cameron Munter
AP (1 hour ago) Today

US Ambassador to Pakistan Cameron Munter. — Photo by AP

ISLAMABAD: The United States is vacating an air base in Pakistan used by American drones, complying with a key demand made by Islamabad in retaliation for the Nato airstrikes that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers, the US ambassador said Monday.

The move is not expected to significantly curtail drone attacks in Pakistan, since Shamsi air base in southwestern Balochistan province was only used to service drones that had mechanical or weather difficulties.

But Washington’s decision to leave the base shows how the Nato attacks on November 26 have plunged the already strained US-Pakistan relationship to an all-time low.

The crisis threatens US attempts to get Pakistan to cooperate on winding down the Afghan war.

Pakistan immediately retaliated by blocking its Afghan border crossings to Nato supplies and giving the US 15 days to vacate Shamsi — a deadline that falls on December 11. It is also boycotting an international conference in Bonn, Germany, on Afghanistan.

US Ambassador Cameron Munter said in a local TV interview that Washington was doing its best to comply with Pakistan’s demand to leave the air base.

”I think what we can promise you is that we will do everything we can to vacate the Shamsi base by the date that you asked us,” said Munter.

The ambassador did not mention the use of the base by American drones.

The US does not acknowledge the CIA-run drone program in Pakistan publicly, but American officials have said privately that the strikes have killed many senior Taliban and al-Qaeda commanders.

Obama says Pakistan troop deaths "regrettable"

WASHINGTON: President Barack Obama on Sunday called Pakistan's president to offer condolences over a NATO air strike that killed 24 Pakistani troops and provoked a crisis in relations between the two countries.

Obama told President Asif Ali Zardari that the soldiers' deaths were "regrettable" and accidental, according to a White House statement.

The comments stopped short of a formal apology but were aimed at soothing Pakistani fury over the Nov. 26 incident.

"Earlier today the president placed a phone call to Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari to personally express his condolences on the tragic loss of twenty-four Pakistani soldiers this past week along the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan," the White House statement said.

"The president made clear that this regrettable incident was not a deliberate attack on Pakistan and reiterated the United States' strong commitment to a full investigation."

The NATO air strike has added to strains in relations with Islamabad, whose cooperation Washington views as crucial to helping to stabilize the region before foreign combat troops leave Afghanistan in 2014.

U.S.-Pakistani relations were already frayed after the secret U.S. raid in May that killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

Obama's phone call came on the eve of an international conference in Germany on the future of Afghanistan.

Pakistan is boycotting the conference because of the NATO air strikes.

On Saturday, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke by phone with Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani to offer condolences.

U.S. and Pakistani officials have offered differing initial accounts of what happened at the Pakistani posts near the border with Afghanistan.

Pakistan said the attack was unprovoked, with officials calling it an act of blatant aggression - an accusation the United States has rejected.

Two U.S. officials have told Reuters that preliminary information from the ongoing investigation indicated Pakistani officials at a border coordination center had cleared the air strike, unaware they had troops in the area.

Obama says Pakistan troop deaths "regrettable" - The Times of India

May be the second attack was a result of Pakistani retaliation. Since in most truly blue on blue incidents, the receiver of friendly fire doesnt hit back..

So, you are saying its right or it was their (USofAs) right to attack once again their ally's post the second time to finish them off since the US soldiers attacked initially by mistake. You get fire from your ally's position by a 12.7mm gun, which by the way can't do anything to the helicopter it as fired at, the ally does the firing because you attacked its position first, the US forces return back and say to each other hey, those Pakistani soldiers fired at us even though we first attacked their position, even though we did not suffered any casualties, it was our mistake, thus we need to give a reply and decimate those soldiers.

Well, i do hope Indian sanity / intellectual level is at a level which can clearly then see that it was deliberate.

And going by your definition, it gives the right to PA to reply back in the same token as it likes and kill as many US soldiers as it can through any mean available.

You Indians are awesome, nothing parallels you guys including the Americans who thank your such pathetic posts.

dear taimi sir dont u think musharaf should be brought back and tried for buying american war and imposing it over the nation.
40,000 dead Pakistanis....$80 billion worth of loss.....who will pay all this???

Yes, he should be. All the ones who had their part should be brought to answer, military & non-military.

But this is not the thread to discuss that, stick to the topic and avoid abusive language / words.

So, you are saying its right or it was their (USofAs) right to attack once again their ally's post the second time to finish them off since the US soldiers attacked initially by mistake. You get fire from your ally's position by a 12.7mm gun, which by the way can't do anything to the helicopter it as fired at, the ally does the firing because you attacked its position first, the US forces return back and say to each other hey, those Pakistani soldiers fired at us even though we first attacked their position, even though we did not suffered any casualties, it was our mistake, thus we need to give a reply and decimate those soldiers.

Well, i do hope Indian sanity / intellectual level is at a level which can clearly then see that it was deliberate.

And going by your definition, it gives the right to PA to reply back in the same token as it likes and kill as many US soldiers as it can.

You Indians are awesome, nothing parallels you guys including the Americans who thank your such pathetic posts.

I am now gonna shut up on this topic.. You Pakistani folks either are not understanding that I am trying to give reasons on how this could be an accident and not a planned attack or dont want to understand.. Enjoy you single sided views...

And going by your definition, it gives the right to PA to reply back in the same token as it likes and kill as many US soldiers as it can through any mean available.

you summed it up very well,

the kind of posts from these chaps and the kind of people thanking them
pretty much kills any chance of a meaningful discussion.

I am now gonna shut up on this topic.. You Pakistani folks either are not understanding that I am trying to give reasons on how this could be an accident and not a planned attack or dont want to understand.. Enjoy you single sided views...

Good step. Should have done that way back. We understand you guys well, you guys are OK with whatever US does and to you what US did is justified, since it is Pakistan which suffered, your enemy.

When the unnamed sources in US said that Pak was at wrong, you guys were at our throats, now again unnamed sources in US saying that somewhat US mistake may be there and still you guys are at our throats.

Impossible to make you guys understand, since you are Indians and its Pakistan which is involved. I bet you and others Indians and unfortunately some others sitting in US would be smiling when you guys heard what happened to 2 dozen Pak soldiers at the hand of US and would have wished more often should this happen.

And i can guarantee, that if tomorrow US did said its soldiers were at mistake, you guys will come up with other excuses to justify the American mistake.

Now now

please dont be like that. please accept my condolence for breaking your heart and not understanding your reasons to justify the NATO attack.

I am sure you have been following this thread from start and would have seen that the repeat attack pretty much removed any doubts and excuses for a mistake, blue on blue or confusion or fog of war. But since you justified it in your earlier posts so my friend there is nothing much we can do for you in you don’t want to post here because we beg to differ with your reasoning.

Obama says Pakistan troop deaths "regrettable"

WASHINGTON: President Barack Obama on Sunday called Pakistan's president to offer condolences over a NATO air strike that killed 24 Pakistani troops and provoked a crisis in relations between the two countries.

Obama told President Asif Ali Zardari that the soldiers' deaths were "regrettable" and accidental, according to a White House statement.

The comments stopped short of a formal apology but were aimed at soothing Pakistani fury over the Nov. 26 incident.

"Earlier today the president placed a phone call to Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari to personally express his condolences on the tragic loss of twenty-four Pakistani soldiers this past week along the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan," the White House statement said.

"The president made clear that this regrettable incident was not a deliberate attack on Pakistan and reiterated the United States' strong commitment to a full investigation."

The NATO air strike has added to strains in relations with Islamabad, whose cooperation Washington views as crucial to helping to stabilize the region before foreign combat troops leave Afghanistan in 2014.

U.S.-Pakistani relations were already frayed after the secret U.S. raid in May that killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

Obama's phone call came on the eve of an international conference in Germany on the future of Afghanistan.

Pakistan is boycotting the conference because of the NATO air strikes.

On Saturday, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke by phone with Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani to offer condolences.

U.S. and Pakistani officials have offered differing initial accounts of what happened at the Pakistani posts near the border with Afghanistan.

Pakistan said the attack was unprovoked, with officials calling it an act of blatant aggression - an accusation the United States has rejected.

Two U.S. officials have told Reuters that preliminary information from the ongoing investigation indicated Pakistani officials at a border coordination center had cleared the air strike, unaware they had troops in the area.

Obama says Pakistan troop deaths "regrettable" - The Times of India
Hey U guyz tell ure Bigg DADDY Obama what he wants from us???....Go to Hell and leave us alone.......:angry:

Now now

please dont be like that. please accept my condolence for breaking your heart and not understanding your reasons to justify the NATO attack.

I am sure you have been following this thread from start and would have seen that the repeat attack pretty much removed any doubts and excuses for a mistake, blue on blue or confusion or fog of war. But since you justified it in your earlier posts so my friend there is nothing much we can do for you in you don’t want to post here because we beg to differ with your reasoning.

I dont want to post on this thread because we are degenerating the dialog into the realms of Indian sanity/mentality and generalizations like you Indians etc. Normally, next comes a series of trolls and bans.. As I said, no more discussion on this thread by me till 23rd :)

PS:: My heat is all fine.. :) .. It takes a different kind of event to cause my heartbreak ;)

Hey tell Obama what he wants from us....Go to Hell and leave us alone.......:angry:

he wants us to attend the Bonn meeting and put the blame on its failure and as the rumours have it in Washington, Pakistan is sending some low level delegation after all

Obama might have reminded Zardari that his one command can see all Zardari assets frozen across the globe. It’s the mater of honor and for name sake ZAR- (eanign money) Dari would do anything. Sending a delegation after all is no big deal.

Good step. Should have done that way back. We understand you guys well, you guys are OK with whatever US does and to you what US did is justified, since it is Pakistan which suffered, your enemy.

When the unnamed sources in US said that Pak was at wrong, you guys were at our throats, now again unnamed sources in US saying that somewhat US mistake may be there and still you guys are at our throats.

Impossible to make you guys understand, since you are Indians and its Pakistan which is involved. I bet you and others Indians and unfortunately some others sitting in US would be smiling when you guys heard what happened to 2 dozen Pak soldiers at the hand of US and would have wished more often should this happen.

And i can guarantee, that if tomorrow US did said its soldiers were at mistake, you guys will come up with other excuses to justify the American mistake.

As I said, I wont argue on this anymore.. I do have strong objection to the bold part, but since I have no way of proving otherwise, I am not going to waste my breath on it..

I dont want to post on this thread because we are degenerating the dialog into the realms of Indian sanity/mentality and generalizations like you Indians etc. Normally, next comes a series of trolls and bans.. As I said, no more discussion on this thread by me till 23rd :)
hey we also get the same blame from you guys so feeling is mutual
23 Dec report will be as good as their previous reports about American "mistakes" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Back
Top Bottom