What's new

American attack aftermath: Pakistan declares attack a 'plot'

Pakistan has had enough

The assumption that it has no choice but to obey America may turn out to be a dire strategic error

simon_tisdall_140x140.jpg

Simon Tisdall
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 27 November 2011 15.35 EST
Article history

Aftermath-of-NATOs-helico-007.jpg

Readers of Dawn newspaper, commenting online, were in no doubt how the Pakistani government should respond to Saturday's killing by US forces of 28 soldiers on Pakistan's side of the Afghan border. "Pakistan should acquire anti-aircraft defence systems ... so that in the future Pakistan can give Nato forces a proper reply," said Ali. "This is outrageous," wrote another reader, Zia Khan. "We should cut off all ties with the US. As long as we are getting US [anti-terror] aid ... Pakistan will be attacked in such a manner. They can never be trusted." Another, Obaid, turned his wrath on the Pakistani authorities: "Our self-centred establishment with their fickle loyalties can't even demand that the killers be tried in a neutral court ... What is the ability of our armed forces? If they can't repel or intercept an attack of this intensity, then what's their purpose? This is not a time to get mad. It's time to get even."

The fury of these respondents comes as no surprise, but Washington should treat it with deadly seriousness all the same, for this latest outrage is another fateful signpost on the road to a potential security and geostrategic disaster that may ultimately make Afghanistan look like a sideshow.

The 10-year-old Afghan war, neither wholly won nor lost, is slowly drawing to a close – or so Washington postulates. But what has not stopped is the linked, escalating destabilisation of the infinitely more important, more populous, and nuclear-armed Pakistan. If Washington does not quickly learn to tread more carefully, it may find the first US-Pakistan war is beginning just as the fourth Afghan war supposedly ends.

Anti-American feeling in Pakistan is becoming institutionalised at the higher levels of government, while opposition figures such as Imran Khan see their popularity rise on the back of diatribes aimed at Washington. Pakistan's western-educated, secular political elite is under brutal attack from Islamist militants who revile them as Washington's stooges. The knock-kneed government is mocked and despised for failing to stand up to its infidel paymasters even as Pakistan's own "war on terror" death toll rises into the tens of thousands.

Since 2001, when the Bush administration bluntly told Islamabad it must take sides, be either "for us or agin us" in the newly declared "war on terror", Pakistan has struggled under a plethora of imperious American demands, démarches and impositions that are at once politically indefensible and contrary to the perceived national interest.

The last year has been another humiliating one at the hands of the country's principal ally. Pakistanis have looked on impotently as US special forces flouted its sovereignty and killed Osama bin Laden under the army's nose; as the US stepped up drone terror attacks in Pakistani territory despite repeated protests; and as people-pleasing US senators and Republican presidential candidates have taken to picking on Pakistan and its aid bill in uninformed foreign policy rants.

Hillary Clinton and the Pentagon top brass have responded to Saturday's killing with the usual expressions of regret and of determination to "investigate", without formally admitting responsibility. Their pronouncements are worthless, transparently so.

The belief that weak, impoverished, divided Pakistan has no alternative but to slavishly obey its master's voice could turn out to be one of the seminal strategic miscalculations of the 21st century. Alternative alliances with China or Russia aside, Muslim Pakistan, if bullied and scorned for long enough by its western mentors, could yet morph through external trauma and internal collapse into quite a different animal. The future paradigm here is not another well-trained Indonesia or Malaysia. It is the Islamic Republic of Iran.

NEVER were slaves... NEVER will be!

The reality is rather different, isn't it? Take a good look around you.

There's no point in arguing with someone who believes it is the fault of the soldiers that got killed by helicopters when they intruded 1.5 miles into Pakistan territory. It's like saying it is the fault of a rape victim when a rapist intrudes their house & rapes that individual. And the biggest irony is, he claims he regrets all loss of life, but he hasn't shown any regret in his posts here: his posts are inflammatory & disrespectful to the martyred soldiers.

My posts are factual, calm, and rational, and shall remain so.

And you accuse the troops and side with america defending them like a hound!

I have not accused the martyred troops of anything; I have merely pointed out that where the fire originated from that led to the the counterstrike is still being investigated.

Damn, some people need to calm down. VCheng is entitled to his opinion without being insulted. He's speaking some truths. It's just everyone else is blinded by nationalism and bloodlust.

I feel no insult in speaking out honestly and correctly, for events will prove who is right and who is wrong soon enough.

We have seen this type of hysteria before with the RD case, and just like then, this emotional froth will fizzle out too.

Pakistan has had enough

The assumption that it has no choice but to obey America may turn out to be a dire strategic error

The belief that weak, impoverished, divided Pakistan has no alternative but to slavishly obey its master's voice could turn out to be one of the seminal strategic miscalculations of the 21st century. Alternative alliances with China or Russia aside, Muslim Pakistan, if bullied and scorned for long enough by its western mentors, could yet morph through external trauma and internal collapse into quite a different animal. The future paradigm here is not another well-trained Indonesia or Malaysia. It is the Islamic Republic of Iran.

An Iran with the fastest expanding nuclear arsenal in the world

I just do not understand the logic of current military and political leadership. I do not blame political a lot because every one knows whose interests they r watching. Both leaderships pay journalists to threaten public by saying " v can not fight U.S.; they will make Tora bora of Pakistan" SO if v keep mum thats how our troops and citizens will be killed. If v chose to fight may b v would be able to kill at lease half if not equivalent of NATO soldiers. That's why say honorable death is better than baighart life. All military leadership is on extension so how can they think of their troops. All RAGE is just lipservice and it will be same within less than one week.

showing disrespect to our martyrs what do you expect? I would like to see what you would say on his comments if 28 brits had been murdered in their sleep by supposed allies
I've seen loads of people disrespect NATO dead on this forum, I don't go ranting. What makes them martyrs?

Key points to note from article & could be true.

-The assumption that it has no choice but to obey America may turn out to be a dire strategic error
-fury of a common Pakistani(whole as Pakistanis)
-If Washington does not quickly learn to tread more carefully, it may find the first US-Pakistan war is beginning just as the fourth Afghan war supposedly ends.
-Alternative alliances with China or Russia.
-Anti-American feeling all time high in public as well as Armed Forces & media.
-The belief that weak, impoverished, divided Pakistan has no alternative but to slavishly obey its master's voice could turn out to be one of the seminal strategic miscalculations of the 21st century.
-If bullied or scorned further it could turn out to be another Islamic Republic of Iran.
-Ability of Armed Forces of Pakistan also questioned by common public of Pakistan.

Just wanted to add they have capability to even read time of watch worn by you but it was a TACTICAL MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me they are just testing waters before a full assault and our leaderships knows that but have their foreign accounts inflated everytime

My posts are factual, calm, and rational, and shall remain so.

It's funny because you've already come to your verdict on the fault of the Pakistani soldiers. But I could have sworn that you said that we have to wait for the results of the investigation before coming to a final conclusion. How can your posts on this incident be factual when the facts have not been determined in the form of an investigation (which you called for)?

I just do not understand the logic of current military and political leadership. I do not blame political a lot because every one knows whose interests they r watching. Both leaderships pay journalists to threaten public by saying " v can not fight U.S.; they will make Tora bora of Pakistan" SO if v keep mum thats how our troops and citizens will be killed. If v chose to fight may b v would be able to kill at lease half if not equivalent of NATO soldiers. That's why say honorable death is better than baighart life. All military leadership is on extension so how can they think of their troops. All RAGE is just lipservice and it will be same within less than one week.

Pakistan has some influence on insurgents so I'm guessing Pakistan will fight NATO indirectly while keeping a fake smile to their face that they give us.

Two can play this game.

Back
Top Bottom