What's new

AMD India develops new fusion chip

2010121154000101.jpg

The AMD Ontario – CPU and GPU in one fusion chip – smaller than a Re 1 coin.

Developed by a 86-member team in Hyderabad in two years, the new generation chip marries the power of central processing unit (CPU) and graphics processing unit (GPU), promising to change the way gamers play games and people who watch videos on computing devices. First shipments of netbooks embedded with the thumb-sized Ontario have been sent to markets by companies such as Acer, while others are on the way to change designs to suit the new chip.

Eagerly awaited by gizmo lovers and industry watchers across the globe, the chip is likely to make its presence felt in the total available market of 10 crore units a year to power a variety of digital devices.

The market size was pegged at $30-40 billion, said Mr Ajay Naini, Project Director.

I3 is cool, overclockable fine. Did I say its not???
But how good is its graphics chip??? Not even in the league of AMD. Intel's onboard is a joke. Just good for 2d. Gaming on Intel is like riding on a cockroach, just doesn't work.

We all know these solutions are not meant for gaming. Who buys integrated graphics to play games on ? All these chips do is help with HD videos and other minimal graphical tasks.

DX compatible doesn't mean it had implemented DX features in hardware. Intel uses a software implementation of shaders. So it can make its DX 10 compatible DX11 compatible anytime with a driver update. But all of this critical processing is done by the CPU, which is 100 times slower at complex calculation of a GPU. So DX10 compatible won't run DX10 games at an acceptable frame rate. I am yet to see a game that Intel's solution can run at over 30 fps even at 640x480. lol

It is certainly nice they implemented it on a hardware solution since software can be so and so but these cpu onboard chips won't be running DX 10 solutions let alone DX 11 at any diserable levels. I am stating though the I3 is marketed as a desktop processor (and has performance figures like one) but no one is going to buy it for gaming using its integrated GPU. It will be a dedicated one and once you add its overclocking potential i have seen 4.4ghz clocks on air with this CPU that is very hard to beat.

Fastest processors doesn't mean anything. Intel has good integer performance, but AMD has a good multiprocessing scalability. So it all boils down to what kind of performance you are looking for and what you are going to run on it.

As of now, if gaming is your need. AMD FTW. :sniper:

Fastest processor means alot. Epecially for gaming. Might i add i run a 1055T a amd processor. No game uses my CPUs 6 cores. Some use 4 most use 2 cores max. The point is though i have 6 cores running on 6 threads. Intels i7 has 4 cores running on 8 threads with hyperthreading and that pulls ahead of my 1055t when it comes to games. 3d editing and such is where the 1055t shines because of the utlization of all 6 actual cores but even that is not a large margin. Plus X58 chipset supports triple channel memory. AMDs platform still doesn't and that is somthing that does hold it back epecially in the 3d design realm where you need considerable amounts of RAM. AMD has great pricing and intel not so much but if your willing to pay the difference Intel wins hands down for gaming solutions. And of course if we include Intels 6 core gulftown then it simply eats AMDs 6 core solutions alive when it comes to anything. Not to mention it is 32nm and that is pretty insane.

Investment is huge alright but there is no chip making competition in India infact there is no commercial customized semiconductor manufacturer at all, although I think there are some manufacturers who undertake small scale highly specific manufacturing as per govt. requirements and offocurce there are some defence PSU's who also do the same but only for the defence industry.

Bro competition i mean how much market share we can hold... Here intel and AMD dominate the market.. If we are able to have some substantial market share only we will have worth of investment in manufacturing these semiconductors ... right now most of the chips which are needed for our defence and other internal requirements are produced in labs or they are imported by giving the contract to external agencies like TI... If we setup these plants then most of the time these plants will be ideal as our PSU consumption is small... if we make it commercial we have to compete with the 2 giants..

All i will say is we have the talents but as usual we lack in the industry base... when we get the industrial base like Japan.. we will rock every one out including US...

First tell me as to why is it important for India to indigenously manufacture all of the above chips and why local development is "critical" for Indian progress ?

Is India the only country that relies on foreign chips ? Can you provide some details on your country's progress in this area ?

Reliance Industries had some semiconductor plans but I think they are shelved now. Indian govt. policies are not very productive for companies to invest in this area as of now. Also, certain defence PSU's are capable of taking care of customized chips that are required for defence purposes.
there is no point in reinventing the wheel.china also dont do this.

First or not, it is a good achievement by Indian engineers working with international colleagues. We know that south Asians are good in technical fields, so I am not sure why people are being so negative.

Why..did you not get the memo from Speeder?. South Asians are genetically inferior to the Mongoloids and the Caucasians. So not much should be expected.

COMING SOON: A SUB ATOM
Intel to focus on cheaper PCs
Sujit John | TNN

Bangalore: Efforts to take PCs to the masses in India hasn’t had a great record. Yet, Intel is taking new initiatives in that direction.
The company’s chief technology officer, Justin Rattner, who was in Bangalore last week, told TOI he’s starting what he calls a “frugal engineering” effort at its India facility. “It’s intended to bring high technology to these huge populations, to those whom our products for the most part do not touch today. And India seemed to be the perfect place to do that kind of work,” he said.
Rattner said his lab was “kicking around ideas” in the space now. “We want to do very low cost PCs, very power efficient, very robust in the face of unreliable power sources. So we are moving from a US/European audience, with hundreds of millions of customers, to an audience of a billion or two billion. Give them online reach, but at a price point that is unprecedented,” he said.
For this, he is even looking at developing a new processor, a ‘sub-Atom’ as he called it. Atom is currently Intel’s lowest cost processor and is used for netbooks, nettops, smartphones and the company’s smart TV platform. “We see an opportunity even below that,” he said.
Rattner expects the India labs to do a lot of rethinking on how to provide various functions on a chip. “The India lab is currently working on absolutely leading edge technologies, now moving from 32 nanometre chips to 22 nm ones. What if we backed off, and used chips of two generations back, say 65 nm. Now, those plants are fully depreciated, so the wafer costs are dramatically lower. But for a very high volume, low-cost product, that technology may be sufficient. It’s a big mental shift for Intel,” he said.
Praveen Vishakantaiah, president of Intel India, said one innovation in the area of frugal engineering could soon be in the market. “With HCL, we have launched a nettop with a battery backup in the power adaptor. It’s a three hour backup that helps in areas that do not have continuous power supply. The innovation was in the adaptor; if we had done it in the nettop, it would have raised the cost significantly,” he said.
The past decade has seen several attempts to mass market PCs through innovations like the Simputer, Classmate PC and a $100 portable computer under the one-laptop-per-child initiative, some of which had Intel’s involvement. Vishakantaiah said some of these initiatives did not fully appreciate the complexities of the Indian market. “Broadband connection is a problem, so is reaching rural areas. Classmate PC has been a success in Latin America, with success in one country influencing others in the region to take it up. But in India, success in one area is no guarantee that others will want to do it,” he said.
So, apart from efforts to bring breakthroughs in chip architecture to make them both low cost and multi-functional, Intel India will be looking at triggering innovations around low-cost chips, like the battery backup in the power adaptor.
“Besides, in India, we can’t just provide a box and expect people to know what to do with it, like in mature markets. We have to provide content, we have to work with the teachers using the PCs to explain what’s possible. We will have applications preloaded on the system which are activated only when the buyer starts using them; and they pay only for the time they use the app. We will work with our partners and the entire supply chain to do all of this,” Vishakantaiah said.
Rattner said he expects early results from the `rethinking’ initiative a year from now. “We will do a number of projects in this area and quickly weed out the ones that aren’t going anywhere, and focus on one or two that look promising,” he said.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom