What's new

AMD India develops new fusion chip

To say India is capable of desiging new chips which it does for its own applications.. what we lack is the production technology.. we can develope what ever chip we want at the lab but we dont have the technology to produce because of the very huge investment and competition...

Investment is huge alright but there is no chip making competition in India infact there is no commercial customized semiconductor manufacturer at all, although I think there are some manufacturers who undertake small scale highly specific manufacturing as per govt. requirements and offocurce there are some defence PSU's who also do the same but only for the defence industry.

:disagree:

lie after another lie.

this chip features two core components - a Bobcat CPU and an ATI GPU. you tell me which of them is designed in india?

the indian team put two major components designed by western teams together, that is all.

:disagree::disagree:

you need to be honest before you can achieve anything real in life.

Let me clear it a little for you.
APU is not just combining a CPU with a GPU. If it were so easy, Fusion would have been fabricated when AMD took over ATI years back.

An APU is a special processor which is redesigned in such a way that the GPU and CPU be combined on a single die sharing the same resources. They are on a shared bus, connected to the main memory instead of dedicated memory. That is a tough thing to do. When you combine all that, the resulting die is HUGE, and heat dissipation become a huge problem due to long interconnects.
Of course the power consumption is over the head.

AMD India has made it possible on 40 nm fabrication process, which was said to be impossible keeping the required <10 watt tdp in mind.

This is an achievement, a big one for AMD after a long time.

kudos to the AMD India and the teams behind the futuristic chip development. There are many other advanced microprocessors developed in India like Intel's 'Whitefield' named after Whitefield in Bangalore.

which failed miserably.

BANGALORE: India's ambitions of emerging as a global chip design and development hub has just suffered a big setback.

Intel has killed its much hyped Whitefield chip, a next-gen Xeon processor for servers, that drew its name from Bangalore's IT hotspot, Whitefield, and which was being developed almost wholly in this city.

Intel decides not to develop Whitefield chip - The Times of India

This is the not the first of its kind. Intels I3 CPU also has a integrated graphics chip. It is still good for AMD to produce a chip like this though. As it brings diversity to the market and doesnt require you to purchase a GPU. Though you can purchase motherboards with integrated graphics solutions too.

First or not, it is a good achievement by Indian engineers working with international colleagues. We know that south Asians are good in technical fields, so I am not sure why people are being so negative.

This is the not the first of its kind. Intels I3 CPU also has a integrated graphics chip. It is still good for AMD to produce a chip like this though. As it brings diversity to the market and doesnt require you to purchase a GPU. Though you can purchase motherboards with integrated graphics solutions too.

This is first of its kind because Intel's solution is software implementation of shaders, whereas AMD's solution has hardware shaders, which allows it to take advantage of all directx functions.

Intel does it in software which lays more stress on the CPU, which is why none of Intel's onboard or on chip solutions work good.

This is first of its kind because Intel's solution is software implementation of shaders, whereas AMD's solution has hardware shaders, which allows it to take advantage of all directx functions.

Intel does it in software which lays more stress on the CPU, which is why none of Intel's onboard or on chip solutions work good.

What on earth are you talking about the I3 is one of the most popular dual core solutions out there. It has amazing overclocking ablity while keeping tempertures very cool and power consumption. I suggest you take a look at the I3 and compare it to dual core AMD solutions in benchmarks(infact compare it to their triple core solutions aswell where it pulls ahead in some instances). Not to mention Intel is already at 32 nm process for both their i3 and i5 chips. Plus this solution AMD is producing can't even be compared because its performance is in line with netbooks.

Might also add the integrated graphics on the I3 is DirectX 10 compatible. Though this is not really a discussion point since these graphics solutions are not meant for gaming to begin with.

AMD has great performance/price solutions but make no mistake intel is the processor king atm. They have the fastest processors in the world and AMD choose not to try to touch them in the high end.

Jigs said:
What on earth are you talking about the I3 is one of the most popular dual core solutions out there. It has amazing overclocking ablity while keeping tempertures very cool. I suggest you take a look at the I3 and compare it to dual core AMD solutions in benchmarks(infact compare it to their triple core solutions aswell where it pulls ahead in some instances). Not to mention Intel is already at 32 nm process for both their i3 and i5 chips. Plus this solution AMD is producing can't even be compared because its performance is in line with netbooks.

Might also add the integrated graphics on the I3 is DirectX 10 compatible. Though this is not really a discussion point since these graphics solutions are not meant for gaming to begin with.

What Intel did was, remove their run-of-the-mill integrated graphics solution from the motherboard and put it on the CPU. AMD's solution is different, the GPU is full blooded ! (remember AMD owns ATI)

AMD has great performance/price solutions but make no mistake intel is the processor king atm. They have the fastest processors in the world and AMD choose not to try to touch them in the high end.

True, but in the server/workstation market AMD Opeterons are quite popular

What on earth are you talking about the I3 is one of the most popular dual core solutions out there. It has amazing overclocking ablity while keeping tempertures very cool and power consumption. I suggest you take a look at the I3 and compare it to dual core AMD solutions in benchmarks(infact compare it to their triple core solutions aswell where it pulls ahead in some instances). Not to mention Intel is already at 32 nm process for both their i3 and i5 chips. Plus this solution AMD is producing can't even be compared because its performance is in line with netbooks.
I3 is cool, overclockable fine. Did I say its not???
But how good is its graphics chip??? Not even in the league of AMD. Intel's onboard is a joke. Just good for 2d. Gaming on Intel is like riding on a cockroach, just doesn't work.

DX compatible doesn't mean it had implemented DX features in hardware. Intel uses a software implementation of shaders. So it can make its DX 10 compatible DX11 compatible anytime with a driver update. But all of this critical processing is done by the CPU, which is 100 times slower at complex calculation of a GPU. So DX10 compatible won't run DX10 games at an acceptable frame rate. I am yet to see a game that Intel's solution can run at over 30 fps even at 640x480. lol

Fastest processors doesn't mean anything. Intel has good integer performance, but AMD has a good multiprocessing scalability. So it all boils down to what kind of performance you are looking for and what you are going to run on it.

As of now, if gaming is your need. AMD FTW. :sniper:

jagjitnatt said:
Fastest processors doesn't mean anything. Intel has good integer performance, but AMD has a good multiprocessing scalability. So it all boils down to what kind of performance you are looking for and what you are going to run on it.

As of now, if gaming is your need. AMD FTW.

Well this used to be true before the core2duo was launched, the Phenom II could just barely keep it and now with the "i" series it's tough times for AMD :frown:

Lets hope Fusion changes that, competition is always good for the market.

which failed miserably.

'failed miserably' :rofl: Jealous!!! Indians still developed the chip and further projects will evolve. Still large number of companies has research labs in India.... Many of the Indians are still there all around development process of next generation technologies for many of the companies like these.....

Whitefield stood as a major breakthrough for Intel and its Indian engineers. The much-ballyhooed chip would combine up to four mobile processor cores and arrive in 2007 as the very first chip designed from the ground up in India. In the end, engineering delays and a financial audit scandal killed the processor, leaving Intel to develop the "Tigerton" replacement chip here and in Israel.

Whitefield stood as a major breakthrough for Intel and its Indian engineers. The much-ballyhooed chip would combine up to four mobile processor cores and arrive in 2007 as the very first chip designed from the ground up in India. In the end, engineering delays and a financial audit scandal killed the processor, leaving Intel to develop the "Tigerton" replacement chip here and in Israel.

Whitefield had been meant to serve as Intel's most sophisticated response to the rising multicore and performance per watt movements. The company has fallen well behind rivals IBM and Sun Microsystems on such fronts in the high-end server market and behind AMD in the more mainstream x86 chip market. The Whitefield chip was designed to give these competitors a real run for their money as it made use of Intel's strong mobile chip technology to deliver a high-performing product with relatively low power consumption.

Instead of wowing customers, Intel has disappointed them and created a painful situation for its India staff.

YouTube - Steve Ballmer - Why India, Why Hyderabad?

YouTube - SAP Labs Corp

YouTube - On the Intel Core i7 Design Team

YouTube - Apple G5 super computer at Varginia Tech *Amazing*

YouTube - Nikesh Arora at the Marketing Society Annual Conference

YouTube - Microsoft India Development Center(largest in the world)

YouTube - IBM India - The Future is here!!

etc etc...

India Development Center (IIDC)

Intel's firm belief that people are the greatest investment in a company shows in every one of its workplaces. Built on the principles of intelligence, innovation, creativity and culture, Intel's offices are inspiring workplace where inspiring ideas are rewarded.

Overview

In a short time the IIDC has become a significant international design and development center in Intel's world for software and hardware. Already earning a spot in the list of top ten employers of choice in India, the IIDC is Intel's largest non-manufacturing site outside of the United States.

What began as a five-man team working on device drivers in 1999 has now grown to a new state-of-the-art technology center sprawling over forty-three acres in the heart of Bangalore's Information Technology corridor. With a strong commitment to excellence in quality and innovation, over 2,500 engineers focus on Intel's core areas:

* Application software and solutions
* Chip sets
* Communication software
* Compilers
* Design and manufacturing automation
* Digital signal processing
* Graphic drivers
* Microprocessor
* Networking products
* Stack optimization

Today, IIDC has the distinction of housing a number of mission critical and multi-year duration projects for the company. Design of the next generation of 32-bit server and Intel&#174; mobility technologies are just two such examples.

Several of the IIDC software groups have been assessed to be operating at or above the Software Engineering Institute's (SEI) Capability Maturity Model (CMM) Level 3. The innovative work performed by the talented teams at the center has resulted in several Invention Disclosures and patents filings.

Intel India Development Centre has the presence of key design and development teams from each Intel business group.

But what is you doing?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom