What's new

AMCA :: Fifth Generation Fighter Under Development in India

sudhir007

Reaction score
Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) - a knol by Vijainder K Thakur

Concept Revealed at Aero India 2009
The DRDO displayed a wind tunnel model of the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) twin engine fighter concept at Aero India 2009.

The 19-20 ton category fighter will feature stealth including an internal weapon bay.

Speaking at Aero India 2009, M. Natarajan, DRDO chief and scientific adviser to the defense minister said, "Even though we don't have a project as yet, we have started conceptual work on our own for the Medium Combat Aircraft. I will not call it Fifth Generation Aircraft but it is very close provided we are able to incorporate more stealth features."

The project was initiated to capitalize on the knowledge and expertise gained from the work put into the LCA project. The Air Force has shown interest in the project.

"I am happy to say some very preliminary discussions have started with the Air Force," Natarjan said. "They are showing considerable interest and this is linked to the kind of developments we could demonstrate in avionics, electronic warfare and our own radar development technology particularly for the AWE&C," he added.

Funding For Two Technology Demonstrators and Seven Prototypes
$2 billion funding sought for 2 technology demonstrators and seven prototypes with first flight by 2017

In November, 2010, Business Standard reported that ADA has sought a $2-billion (approximately Rs 9,060 crore) fund from the Indian government for the development of AMCA.

“We have just started working on this fifth-generation aircraft, for which we had already received sanctions to the tune of Rs 100 crore. The way the government is cooperating, I am able to say that we will receive the funding ($2 billion) in the next 18 months,” PS Subramanyam, program director (combat aircraft) and director of ADA, told Business Standard.

“The $2-billion fund will initially be utilized to develop two technology demonstrators and seven prototypes. The first flight test is expected to take place by 2017,” he said on the sidelines of the Aviation Conclave 2010 in Hyderabad.

According to Subramanyam, the AMCAs will bridge the gap between the Tejas and Su-30MKI class heavy fighters. With Russia and the US focusing on fighters in the 30-35 ton category, there was market space for a 20 ton aircraft.

“Though the AMCAs were primarily being designed to meet the requirements of the Indian Air Force, we are contemplating rolling out a new variant for the Indian Navy as well,” he said,

Sixth Generation Fighter

Subramanyam also told the press that ADA is poised to commence research and development on a six-generation AMCA aircraft shortly.

is this going to be a amalgm of techniques and traits learned from fgfa or completely indigenous project?

images

Different Models of MCA..

MCA-1,2. Model 2 is clearly scaled up twin engined variant of LCA.
mcaconfigoptions4lb.jpg

MCA-3 Tail less(vertical and horizontal) concept.
11.jpg

AMCA. Quite different from earlier models
Medium_combat_aircraft.jpg

courtesy- Rahul Singh..

I see no point in funding AMCA when there are already funds allocated for the PAK-FA. If the armed forces are serious about AMCA than it is a fighter that will be used along with PAK-FA and will come out 2025+.

I see no point in funding AMCA when there are already funds allocated for the PAK-FA. If the armed forces are serious about AMCA than it is a fighter that will be used along with PAK-FA and will come out 2025+.

From the other posts, it seems like we will only learn from PAK-FA(if at all), no chances for applying what we have learnt.

I believe this project is too ambitious. India should spend money on developing more of a lower end variation so it can achieve its targetted goals of producing a plane in 20 years. Spend the rest of money on buying proven systems.

if i am not wrong...

pak-fa is supposed to be an air superiority fighter with other secondary roles (a multi role fighter)

whereas amca is supposed to be a strike fighter with other secondary roles (a multi role fighter)

I believe this project is too ambitious. India should spend money on developing more of a lower end variation so it can achieve its targetted goals of producing a plane in 20 years. Spend the rest of money on buying proven systems.

you are absolutely right sir, but please grant your permmission sir, please sir allow ADA to set high targets, sir...i beg to you sir... please

Back
Top Bottom