What's new

Alvi blames social media for gulf between Imran, ex-COAS Bajwa

But people get very upset when I say IK is just another temporality useful idiot in a long line of manufactured puppets. And he won't be the last, either. :D

So blaming the past, as before? It will never achieve what they keep promising to deliver, will it? So it all boils down to a personal choice of what liar to follow?

You can only propel forward if you have a strong and developed base. But when you're ripping the foundation out to build that same house, you have the rear view to ponder.

The powers to be never left anything to look forward to. It's like Russian roulette.

You can only propel forward if you have a strong and developed base. But when you're ripping the foundation out to build that same house, you have the rear view to ponder.

"Past results are a virtual guarantee of future performance." :D

So you would rather have polio and be crippled. Rather than develop a vaccine to make sure it doesn't strike again?

I said it once before and will repeat it, the Pakistani moto: doing the same thing with the same people and getting the same results.

The main grievance is you know who PDM is by character, and what they've done to this country that you'd choose to bring them back. On top, PDM shitshow just proved to every one man, women, child and sperm that PDM as a whole from beginning to end do not know anything in running the economy. There PhD Mifith from a US Ivy League was a failure and you except someone what a BA in Accounting to be any better?
It's not that I want more of the same. You don't have a choice. IK and team were doing no wonders despite the massive PR machinery being put to use to push out a narrative that all was well. It wasn't and I like the chap over the PDM people. But we had no choice but to go to IMF. IMF was not playing ball with IK's government because the Americans and IK had a rupture in ties. You have to think about these things from Pakistan's perspective and not just from IK/PTI standpoint. So the economy was nominally better because we had not run into the floods and the debt payments convergence.

Any economy that immediately goes to its knees 2-3 months after the PTI government departs obviously points to how fragile it was. This is not even a situation where the PDM government, for all its bad reputation, was siphoning money. They had none. As soon as they took over, massive floods ravaged Pakistan and debts and bond payments came calling. I don't care for PDM or PTI's politics, but you have to realize that any government would be in a massively tight spot.

A dispassionate analysis is needed to see where things were left off (AND what liabilities were due then) and what has gone on since then (including the impact of floods in Pakistan) to ascertain whether the issue is with the current government and its policies or if it is indeed the perfect storm hitting Pakistan economically. Also keep in mind that PTI changing its Finance Minister 5 times over in 3 years was not very confidence boosting either. So cut Pakistan some slack and give it some time to recover. These politics will go on forever.

Of course, what could they do as the train was derailed? If PTI comes back the problems it’ll face will be much bigger than what was left behind.
Thus the same rinse and repeat formula with every government that comes in regardless of who the faces are. They pass the buck to the last chap and say "he left me a big problem" and then very dutifully kick the can down the road.

Last edited:
President Dr Arif Alvi has said that social media was one of the reasons for differences between former prime minister Imran Khan and ex-army chief General (retired) Qamar Javed Bajwa.

In an interview with BBC Urdu, the president said that misunderstandings were created by giving “undue importance to social media” and said that the country’s “decision-making powers” were unable to “handle” social media.

Alvi, who also offered to mediate between Imran and the current coalition government in the interview, said that problems arise when social media is given “too much importance”.

“YouTube was shut down in Pakistan for two years. The reason for this was that decision-makers were unable to handle it.”

He said that those “making decisions in the country” were unable to handle social media the correct way. “In my opinion, they should handle it in a better way.”

When asked about ties between Imran and the former army chief, he said that “all was available in the press” and he didn’t have any specific information in this regard.

“I think there were some misunderstandings, which are now coming out in public. I tried to end the misunderstandings […] As the president of Pakistan, it is my constitutional responsibility to keep the federation together.”

Alvi also advised the military establishment and the country’s political parties that “cooperation is better than disagreements”.

“This is important for Pakistan. This is the advice I give to everyone in public and in private.”

When the interviewer asked the president whether differences between Imran and the ex-army chief developed over the appointment of the country’s spymaster, the president said he would not talk about a specific person or incident.

However, without naming anyone, the president said that “all parties were demonstrating inflexibility” and his advice was not sought.

He further said that he advised those being inflexible to let bygones be bygones, adding that “it “would have been better” if his advice was heeded.

“If you look at the surveys from that time, the entire country was saying that talks should take place. I still don’t understand who was more reluctant. When I say let bygones be bygones, people are unable to do it.”

The BBC Urdu report noted that President Alvi did not state if he was talking about the PTI or the former army chief, but said that “everyone was taking revenge in the political arena”.

The president was also asked whether there was any truth to reports claiming that the PTI had tried to convince Bajwa to extend his tenure during the meetings he facilitated.

The president responded by saying that he was unaware of the offers that were made.

“But I said that misunderstandings should be resolved by sitting together. Be it any political party, the opposition or the establishment, I am ready to play the role of a mediator.”

Who cares what this twit says. Just an insignificant in between guy who is looking out for his own skin.

Pakistan's problem is an unaccountable deep state that operates above the law and can engineer political outcomes. If this deep state was highly competent and all about transformative development, innovation, young talent, etc., it may have been tolerable. Unfortunately, it is not.

So it is more the media at fault for exaggerating the differences,
By media (social media), I assume you mean the people, not the media corporations? Yeah, who allowed those plebes to have a say?

and not as much IK for choosing to not understand the ground realities only after they did not suit him anymore?
The ground realities being, You are out. Go sit in the corner like a good boy and wait for your next turn, which will come when we get tired of this new guy?

They should have known, if he understood the ground realities, he would not have waited 22 years to be granted the PMship.

It's all of the above and establishment's miscalculations, PDM's missteps etc. etc. "Who is not to blame for this mess" would be a better question to ask.
Wrong. Didn't you listen to @VCheng , it's all IK's fault.

And as maligned as this government is, it will get Pakistan through the current mess if the social media army takes a break from critiquing everything under the sun. Limping, crawling, this too will pass.
Do you even democracy, bro?

Last edited:
The funny thing is, despite the constant fighting and current political instability, the current government is probably the most politically diverse Pakistan has ever had, and by total accident as well.

President is PTI.

PM is PMLN

Cabinet is a mix of PPP, MQM and PMLN.

So all major parties are represented.
And probably also the most dysfunctional. But I love the fact the you were able to find that silver lining. :lol:

Fair point, but an issue with the blind critique is that people criticize the very same things that were going on in PTI's tenure just for the sake of partisanship. In many cases, what the incumbents are doing for Pakistan is just the same as PTI.
Again, that's democracy and party politics for you.

Also, regarding your contention that social media is making things harder than they are and we'd eventually be fine if social media gave this poor govt a break, I may be wrong but I don't recall you saying people should give IK a break when he was forced into giving that stupid petrol subsidy early last year.

So blaming the past, as before? It will never achieve what they keep promising to deliver, will it? So it all boils down to a personal choice of what liar to follow?
Will you be a sport and send us some upright characters from over yonder whom we can elect instead of the liars we have, so we can get out of this vicious cycle and you won't have to keep telling us nothing will change. Everything that's going on is per design.

Last edited:
Looks like President was forced to sign many flimsy legislations due his political allegiances. President is supposed to represent the State not a party.

For shame !!

Disclaimer: I am not an anti Dentite.

Gulf is because
One is a their and a traitor aka bajwa lanati
And the other is respected loved and PM of Pakistan Imran Khan

Any economy that immediately goes to its knees 2-3 months after the PTI government departs obviously points to how fragile it was. This is not even a situation where the PDM government, for all its bad reputation, was siphoning money. They had none
Fair point but then why not take austerity measures at least? Millions spent on foreign trips. and 80 members cabinet.
What?
But we had no choice but to go to IMF. IMF was not playing ball with IK's government because the Americans and IK had a rupture in ties.
That was IK's short sight. He is not an economist but he should know as it is his responsibility.
Also keep in mind that PTI changing its Finance Minister 5 times over in 3 years was not very confidence boosting either.
Policies shouldn't change but people can. Anyway, bad optics.
They had none. As soon as they took over, massive floods ravaged Pakistan and debts and bond payments came calling.
IK's tenure has 2 years of Covid?
Anyway, we had the largest fiscal deficit ever in 2018. Some got matured in 2021. I think IK dealt with it fairly. @Norwegian

Will you be a sport and send us some upright characters from over yonder whom we can elect instead of the liars we have, so we can get out of this vicious cycle and you won't have to keep telling us nothing will change. Everything that's going on is per design.

So clearly the last third-division-from-Oxford package with the rare medieval Biggus-Dickus-for-Brainus upgrade complete with illegitimate daughter accessory sent over by the Monty Python's Flying Office of Continued Colonial Oversight for South Asian Natives with compliments of the Goldsmiths was not enough?

(This side of the pond may prefer to deal directly with shiny buttoned uniforms because they are the ones that can get things actually done.)

Last edited:
Who cares what this twit says. Just an insignificant in between guy who is looking out for his own skin.
If he is a "twit" then that reflects negatively on PTI more than anyone else. Yet another bad pick by Khan sahib, shall we say?

What I find amusing is that the very same Khan sahib who is all for "talks" with Taliban/TTP (murderers of 80,000 of our fellow Pakistanis) won't even tolerate the thought of a dialogue (as is being proposed by the President) with his political adversaries.

PTI is willing to forgive TTP murderers yet those who have committed financial corruption cannot be talked to. This logic escapes me.

Last edited:
The military role in politics, well ......no idea, how the military top brass manage the politicians and how they see the politicians......elephant in the room.

Back
Top Bottom