What's new

All tunnels on Lhasa-Nyingchi Railway in Tibet complete

What will be its strategic effects?
Connecting south Tibet in the border region with the network of China's massive railway system, this part of the railway needs to cut through the mighty Himalaya mountains, almost humanly and engineering impossible, a truly world engineering miracle.

Last edited:
Looking at the map. It doesn't do anything for countries such as Nepal and Bhutan.

However, it does reach directly to Arunachal Pradesh.

But mostly, it is a major economic boost to Tibet. It reaches directly to the major economic region of Sichuan.

sichuan-tibet-railway-map-big.jpg

This line comes very close to the PLA frontier and mountain pass such as Cona (opposite Indian occupied Tawang), Medog and Zayu.

The eventual plan was to open a supply line from Chengdu, far more efficient than from Qinghai-Tibetan railway.

The reason PLA retreated from South Tibet in 1962 is logistic. Logistic will improve tremendously with this line.

Today if PLA take Tawang-> Bomdila, she can hold it.

Meanwhile from Shigatze, another rail was planned to reached Geelong, the frontier town of Nepal. It will break India choke on Nepal.

Looking at the map. It doesn't do anything for countries such as Nepal and Bhutan.

However, it does reach directly to Arunachal Pradesh.

But mostly, it is a major economic boost to Tibet. It reaches directly to the major economic region of Sichuan.

sichuan-tibet-railway-map-big.jpg

Congratulations.
Why don't the Chinese propose to Indian government to allow cross border trade through Arunachal, via this line? Real trade via the Chengdu/Kunming sector, not token trade like NathuLa.
Both countries can keep the border issue in hibernation. The economic benefit for both countries will reduce the animosity making a ginfi settlement easier. It will benefit my people also..

I wonder if we'll eventually build a direct link to connect to Delhi. Imagine Delhi to Lhasa in one day and to Beijing via rail in 3 days. It would be the world's largest economic belt in 20 years.

Let's be real here, neither China or India is willing to fight over some mountains in the middle Himalayas.

India still dream of extending beyond McMahon line, and stirs numerous trouble against China, with the support of USA.

Most recent one is Doklam. Not too long ago at 2013 in Laddakh.

Congratulations.
Why don't the Chinese propose to Indian government to allow cross border trade through Arunachal, via this line? Real trade via the Chengdu/Kunming sector, not token trade like NathuLa.
Both countries can keep the border issue in hibernation. The economic benefit for both countries will reduce the animosity making a ginfi settlement easier. It will benefit my people also..

Last edited:
I like to read Chinese stories about tomb robber and the like such as "Daomu"
Is there any good source for stories like that while digging these tunnels?

I like to read Chinese stories about tomb robber and the like such as "Daomu"
Is there any good source for stories like that while digging these tunnels?
What is Daomu? I am also curious if they found any fossils while drilling..

India still dream of extending beyond McMahon line, and stirs numerous trouble against China, with the support of USA.

Most recent one is Doklam. Not too long ago at 2013 in Laddakh.
That's why they should open trade lines to reduce the tensions..

Back
Top Bottom