What's new

all recent air accidents have been errors of judgement,skill in the cockpit,individual errors - IAF

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India

DYKt4Y8VAAAWnKp.jpg

now i want amswers from fan boys. when we want top line fighters for a nation like ours these pilots must be skilled and take full control of it.
if you take all credits for great valour you must also leatn to take criticism.

thats just the personal views of the person who prints it . indian user's upcoming logic .

I don't know but stop insulting your pilots.

@Joe Shearer Thoughts?

I am hesitant to go into too much detail, as we were making simulators (the full range, from part simulators right up to six degrees of freedom models) and were interested parties in this disagreement.

The MiG21 was a special case, compared to the others. It changed the centre of gravity with the progressive consumption of fuel, and pilots needed to be aware of this quirk, one that the Chinese engineered out in their locally-built version, the one that the PAF got. It had a very high landing speed, one difficult for fresh pilots to handle. Finally, those of us who worked in association with the PSU concerned were willing to believe that engine overhaul at Koraput was at less than desirable levels.

For the pilots, the screening was tough, very tough.

What the citation might mean is that after pulling down the mechanical and process deficiencies, the balance must be accounted for in terms of pilot error, and that is nothing to do with fitness to be a pilot; even the best are prone to a mistake, but it was the demanding nature of the aircraft flown, the horribly few numbers of simulators (it had been proposed that one full-function MiG simulator could be placed at every MiG hosting airbase; we didn't even get started), and the lack of an intermediate trainer for transition to jets, that filled a role.

I am hesitant to go into too much detail, as we were making simulators (the full range, from part simulators right up to six degrees of freedom models) and were interested parties in this disagreement.

The MiG21 was a special case, compared to the others. It changed the centre of gravity with the progressive consumption of fuel, and pilots needed to be aware of this quirk, one that the Chinese engineered out in their locally-built version, the one that the PAF got. It had a very high landing speed, one difficult for fresh pilots to handle. Finally, those of us who worked in association with the PSU concerned were willing to believe that engine overhaul at Koraput was at less than desirable levels.

For the pilots, the screening was tough, very tough.

What the citation might mean is that after pulling down the mechanical and process deficiencies, the balance must be accounted for in terms of pilot error, and that is nothing to do with fitness to be a pilot; even the best are prone to a mistake, but it was the demanding nature of the aircraft flown, the horribly few numbers of simulators (it had been proposed that one full-function MiG simulator could be placed at every MiG hosting airbase; we didn't even get started), and the lack of an intermediate trainer for transition to jets, that filled a role.
There is also a lack of acknowledgement of the brain drain the IAF sufferred(and still suffers) due to the booming commercial pilot market. If there aren’t enough knowledge holders available to pass good knowledge down then the students will only learn based on the pool that is available.

Lapse in judgment can be attributed to lack of training or lack of discipline or lack of screening candidates. I do not count the latter since the current intake of candidates in the IAF is in my view superior at least in terms of education and motivation compared to the 90s.
As in a lesser percentage is from traditional military families or rural areas and more from the eager to serve middle class kind.

The other factor in play is also thr number of flight hours the IAF is putting in versus the man per airframe ratio it actually has; it was reported in a CAG report earlier I believe and heard on the grapevine that pilots were complaining of being overworked in trying to maintain 180-200 hours ; certain Mirage pilots hit 250 but in some cases the airframe did not live upto the required time in air(MKI, 29 & 27) which led to a spread spectrum of hours.
The result is while some pilots had higher hours, the lesser ones made the error and paid for It.

There is also a lack of acknowledgement of the brain drain the IAF sufferred(and still suffers) due to the booming commercial pilot market. If there aren’t enough knowledge holders available to pass good knowledge down then the students will only learn based on the pool that is available.

Lapse in judgment can be attributed to lack of training or lack of discipline or lack of screening candidates. I do not count the latter since the current intake of candidates in the IAF is in my view superior at least in terms of education and motivation compared to the 90s.
As in a lesser percentage is from traditional military families or rural areas and more from the eager to serve middle class kind.

The other factor in play is also thr number of flight hours the IAF is putting in versus the man per airframe ratio it actually has; it was reported in a CAG report earlier I believe and heard on the grapevine that pilots were complaining of being overworked in trying to maintain 180-200 hours ; certain Mirage pilots hit 250 but in some cases the airframe did not live upto the required time in air(MKI, 29 & 27) which led to a spread spectrum of hours.
The result is while some pilots had higher hours, the lesser ones made the error and paid for It.

Yes, you are perfectly right in quoting the huge counter-attraction of the booming civil aviation market; it has been growing at a phenomenal rate right through, and the strain is showing, not only in the increasing shortage of pilots, but also in terms of airport infrastructure, safety levels, the ability of ATCs to control the volume of flights, and the reports to the DGCA about safety incidents. Indian civil aviation is in a very dangerous state at the moment.

It is also very clear that there has been a change in the profile of the candidates for the NDA. The old service families are moving out, the 'eager to serve' middle class are moving in.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom