What's new

Alibaba: The Giant of e-Commerce

http://online.wsj.com/articles/alibaba-ipo-to-give-yahoo-windfall-1411105913

Alibaba IPO to Give Yahoo Windfall
Yahoo Will Get About $5.1 Billion in Cash From Alibaba IPO

Updated Sept. 19, 2014 5:38 p.m. ET

3f938fd78ae1e3f9b7c025f9f77ea5bb.jpg

Yahoo is to get about $5.1 billion from Alibaba's IPO. Pictured, a sign is posted in front of the Yahoo! headquarters on May 23, 2014 in Sunnyvale, California. Getty Images

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.'s initial public offering on Friday will make Yahoo Inc. YHOO -2.74% about $5.1 billion richer.

That's the amount of cash Yahoo stands to receive after selling 121.7 million of its shares in the e-commerce giant and paying a capital-gains tax of about 38%. Alibaba said on Thursday it will price its shares at $68 apiece in the blockbuster offering.

The windfall, long awaited by Yahoo investors, puts pressure on Chief Executive Marissa Mayer to find new areas of growth. More than two years into her attempt to turn around the aging Internet portal, its core advertising business is shrinking and Yahoo continues to cede share of the market to Google Inc. GOOGL +1.36% and Facebook Inc.

Yahoo will return at least half of the Alibaba proceeds to shareholders, finance chief Ken Goldman said in July. He didn't specify whether that would take the form of a buyback or dividend.

Alibaba: To Invest or Not?

Investors hoping to make a killing when Alibaba debuts its IPO should keep a few finer details in mind. The Intelligent Investor columnist Jason Zweig discusses on the News Hub with Sara Murray.

With $1.55 billion in cash already on the balance sheet, Ms. Mayer will now have more than $4 billion in capital to spend on acquisitions to accelerate growth or enter new markets. Under Ms. Mayer, the company has already bought more than three dozen startups, including paying $1.1 billion for Tumblr and snatching up a number of small mobile app makers.

Shares of AOL Inc. AOL -2.84% rose 3.3% on Thursday when Richard Anthony, an analyst at BCG Partners, said in a note that the company could make an attractive target for Yahoo. AOL, with a current market cap of around $3.4 billion, would be just in Ms. Mayer's price range. But Jacqueline Reses, Yahoo's merger chief, ruled out the possibility of such a deal in comments she made at a technology conference in July.

A Yahoo spokeswoman declined to comment on Thursday. An AOL spokesman declined to comment.

On Friday, Alibaba's stock closed at $93.89. At that price, Yahoo would have added about $2 billion more to its coffers in its sale of stock.

But the gains also boost Yahoo's larger stake in Alibaba that it will continue to own—401.8 million shares. That stake was worth about $37.7 billion at the closing price, a number that will rise or fall depending on what happens with Alibaba's first days and weeks of trading.

The value of Yahoo's core business will also become more apparent as a result of the IPO. Assuming Yahoo eventually ends up paying a full tax rate to cash out those remaining shares, Yahoo's remaining Alibaba holdings at the closing IPO price are worth about $23.4 billion.

Add to that the $5.1 billion from the stock sale, Yahoo's stake in Yahoo Japan4689.TO +0.91% worth about $5 billion after taxes, and net cash holdings of $1.55 billion, and Yahoo is sitting on about $35.05 billion in holdings not related to its core business. Subtract that from its current market capitalization of $41.86 billion and investors are valuing Yahoo's core business at about $6.81 billion.

That number was $13.85 billion at the IPO pricing, but it fell dramatically as Alibaba's stock rose while Yahoo's shares sank. On Friday, Yahoo's shares fell 2.7% to $40.93.

Nothing to be proud that one of the biggest Chinese companies had to go to the US because some outrageously stupid bureaucratic rule prevented them from listing in Hong Kong or Shanghai.

Ma Yun the smart guy has made a few important assets that were formerly under Alibaba Group,his personal serfdom and are therefore excluded from the IPO。

As a matter of fact,Ma's unlisted assets are worth more than his stake in BABA(for 88?:enjoy:)。

When the time comes,it is hoped that Ma will find a way to have these assets listed on the Shanghai、Shenzhen or Hong Kong stock exchanges。

http://online.wsj.com/articles/alibaba-ipo-to-give-yahoo-windfall-1411105913

Alibaba IPO to Give Yahoo Windfall
Yahoo Will Get About $5.1 Billion in Cash From Alibaba IPO

Updated Sept. 19, 2014 5:38 p.m. ET
View attachment 64891
Yahoo is to get about $5.1 billion from Alibaba's IPO. Pictured, a sign is posted in front of the Yahoo! headquarters on May 23, 2014 in Sunnyvale, California. Getty Images

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.'s initial public offering on Friday will make Yahoo Inc.YHOO -2.74% about $5.1 billion richer.

That's the amount of cash Yahoo stands to receive after selling 121.7 million of its shares in the e-commerce giant and paying a capital-gains tax of about 38%. Alibaba said on Thursday it will price its shares at $68 apiece in the blockbuster offering.

The windfall, long awaited by Yahoo investors, puts pressure on Chief ExecutiveMarissa Mayer to find new areas of growth. More than two years into her attempt to turn around the aging Internet portal, its core advertising business is shrinking and Yahoo continues to cede share of the market to Google Inc. GOOGL +1.36% and Facebook Inc.

Yahoo will return at least half of the Alibaba proceeds to shareholders, finance chief Ken Goldman said in July. He didn't specify whether that would take the form of a buyback or dividend.

Alibaba: To Invest or Not?

Investors hoping to make a killing when Alibaba debuts its IPO should keep a few finer details in mind. The Intelligent Investor columnist Jason Zweig discusses on the News Hub with Sara Murray.

With $1.55 billion in cash already on the balance sheet, Ms. Mayer will now have more than $4 billion in capital to spend on acquisitions to accelerate growth or enter new markets. Under Ms. Mayer, the company has already bought more than three dozen startups, including paying $1.1 billion for Tumblr and snatching up a number of small mobile app makers.

Shares of AOL Inc. AOL -2.84% rose 3.3% on Thursday when Richard Anthony, an analyst at BCG Partners, said in a note that the company could make an attractive target for Yahoo. AOL, with a current market cap of around $3.4 billion, would be just in Ms. Mayer's price range. But Jacqueline Reses, Yahoo's merger chief, ruled out the possibility of such a deal in comments she made at a technology conference in July.

A Yahoo spokeswoman declined to comment on Thursday. An AOL spokesman declined to comment.

On Friday, Alibaba's stock closed at $93.89. At that price, Yahoo would have added about $2 billion more to its coffers in its sale of stock.

But the gains also boost Yahoo's larger stake in Alibaba that it will continue to own—401.8 million shares. That stake was worth about $37.7 billion at the closing price, a number that will rise or fall depending on what happens with Alibaba's first days and weeks of trading.

The value of Yahoo's core business will also become more apparent as a result of the IPO. Assuming Yahoo eventually ends up paying a full tax rate to cash out those remaining shares, Yahoo's remaining Alibaba holdings at the closing IPO price are worth about $23.4 billion.

Add to that the $5.1 billion from the stock sale, Yahoo's stake in Yahoo Japan4689.TO +0.91% worth about $5 billion after taxes, and net cash holdings of $1.55 billion, and Yahoo is sitting on about $35.05 billion in holdings not related to its core business. Subtract that from its current market capitalization of $41.86 billion and investors are valuing Yahoo's core business at about $6.81 billion.

That number was $13.85 billion at the IPO pricing, but it fell dramatically as Alibaba's stock rose while Yahoo's shares sank. On Friday, Yahoo's shares fell 2.7% to $40.93.

Alibaba IPO boosts Masayoshi Son as he's crowned Japan's 'richest man'

@LeveragedBuyout, -- This truly is an example of how business transcends all political bickering. Who says China and Japan cannot cooperate? ;)

4553481c8b008f5bb45a01d8c5b19060._.jpg

bfe1ba8c72219c1354b7f7504e5a0922.jpg

Softbank's chief executive Masayoshi Son has become Japan's richest man with an estimated personal fortune of $16.6 billion...And he may have to send Alibaba a thank you note for it.

Shares in Softbank, which owns a 37 per cent stake in the Chinese e-commerce giant, have surged ahead of Alibaba's initial public offering with shares expected to begin trading on Friday in New York.

And this is good news for the Japanese businessman.

Son's Softbank invested $20 million in the Chinese company back in 2000 before the relatively unknown Alibaba.com turned into an e-commerce behemoth.

His bet paid off and Alibaba's IPO is already proving a huge win for Son, who owns a 19 per cent stake in Softbank, and recently indicated he has no immediate plans to sell the company's stake in Alibaba.

On Tuesday, Alibaba raised its float price range from $60-$66 a share to $66 to $68 citing strong demand. At $68 per share, the float would value Alibaba at $168bn (£104 billion) and raise more than $25 billion, making it the biggest public offering ever.

The float price would also be good news for Yahoo- a minority investor in Alibaba with a 22 per cent stake which has seen its share price jump ahead of the IPO. Unlike Softbank, Yahoo has already indicated it plans to sell 140 million shares and return at least half the cash from the IPO to shareholders, which could be in the form of a stock buyback or a dividend.

Alibaba IPO boosts Masayoshi Son as he's crowned Japan's 'richest man' - Business News - Business - The Independent

Alibaba IPO boosts Masayoshi Son as he's crowned Japan's 'richest man'

@LeveragedBuyout, -- This truly is an example of how business transcends all political bickering. Who says China and Japan cannot cooperate? ;)

View attachment 65015

View attachment 65016

Softbank's chief executive Masayoshi Son has become Japan's richest man with an estimated personal fortune of $16.6 billion...And he may have to send Alibaba a thank you note for it.

Shares in Softbank, which owns a 37 per cent stake in the Chinese e-commerce giant, have surged ahead of Alibaba's initial public offering with shares expected to begin trading on Friday in New York.

And this is good news for the Japanese businessman.

Son's Softbank invested $20 million in the Chinese company back in 2000 before the relatively unknown Alibaba.com turned into an e-commerce behemoth.

His bet paid off and Alibaba's IPO is already proving a huge win for Son, who owns a 19 per cent stake in Softbank, and recently indicated he has no immediate plans to sell the company's stake in Alibaba.

On Tuesday, Alibaba raised its float price range from $60-$66 a share to $66 to $68 citing strong demand. At $68 per share, the float would value Alibaba at $168bn (£104 billion) and raise more than $25 billion, making it the biggest public offering ever.

The float price would also be good news for Yahoo- a minority investor in Alibaba with a 22 per cent stake which has seen its share price jump ahead of the IPO. Unlike Softbank, Yahoo has already indicated it plans to sell 140 million shares and return at least half the cash from the IPO to shareholders, which could be in the form of a stock buyback or a dividend.

Alibaba IPO boosts Masayoshi Son as he's crowned Japan's 'richest man' - Business News - Business - The Independent

I don't want to go overboard about Ma, but in my eyes, he represents the best of what China can achieve. He's ambitious, he's entrepreneurial, he takes risks, and he didn't steal to get to the top. This was the fruit of his labor, the labor he did with his own two hands. And most importantly, he is an ardent advocate of success without depending on the government.

Of course, the IPO was conducted in NY, and Ma's educational focus was English, so it's clear that he's long had an international mindset, including his involvement with Son. May there be many more like him, so that our countries can prosper together.

My wife told me Ma Yun gave a live interview on CNBC. He gave a line to the effect of "My parents are not rich. They have no power, no connections. I made it on my own. If I can make it in China anyone can make it. My favorite movie is Forest Gump" LOL.

My wife told me Ma Yun gave a live interview on CNBC. He gave a line to the effect of "My parents are not rich. They have no power, no connections. I made it on my own. If I can make it in China anyone can make it. My favorite movie is Forest Gump" LOL.

That is what I admire about Chinese ingenuity and adaptability. Wherever they go, they succeed.

Going back to Ma, here's an inspiring message: "Ideas & Technology Can Change the World"

Chinese people say 有马姓的人们中十有八九是穆斯林人 so i assume he is a Muslim. Can any Chinese member confirm?

I'am just asking out of curiosity.

Chinese people say 有马姓的人们中十有八九是穆斯林人 so i assume he is a Muslim. Can any Chinese member confirm?

I'am just asking out of curiosity.
Indeed many Muslim named Ma in China, yes ,the saying "十回九马," means every 10 Hui Muslim 9 Family name is Ma ,Musilim ”Ma“ -- "Ma" is "Muhammad" is abbreviated in Chinese
there are many non-Muslims named Ma before Islam was introduced into China., Ma Yun is a non-musilim "Ma”。Non-Muslim Chinese surname "Ma" are more than 12 million people, Ma is the 19th most common surname in China,this “Ma” means horse

Last edited:
LOL, it's true many Muslims have Ma(马) as their last name. But don't forget Ma itself is a Han Chinese family name. 东汉初期的马援,东汉末年的西凉马腾,还有荆襄世家大族马良马谡。

Ma's distribution, as a family name

20120710040325_36754.jpg

Indeed many Muslim named Ma in China, yes ,the saying "十回九马," means every 10 Hui Muslim 9 Family name is Ma ,Musilim ”Ma“ -- "Ma" is "Muhammad" is abbreviated in Chinese
there are many non-Muslims named Ma before Islam was introduced into China., Ma Yun is a non-musilim "Ma”。Non-Muslim Chinese surname "Ma" are more than 12 million people, Ma is the 19th most common surname in China,this “Ma” means horse

LOL, it's true many Muslims have Ma(马) as their last name. But don't forget Ma itself is a Han Chinese family name. 东汉初期的马援,东汉末年的西凉马腾,还有荆襄世家大族马良马谡。

View attachment 65227

Thank you for the information

View attachment 65227
This figure showing in the Muslim enclave, "Ma" surname highest probability.

Ma Says China's Alibaba To Thrash Google 'Sharks'

“Sharks” and “crocodiles” populate the brutal playing field envisioned by Jack Ma.

He’s the chief executive of Alibaba.com, and the exec relishes the Darwinian battle for China’s e-commerce market.

Ma addressed the press at a Pacific Rim leadership conference in South Korea, where the CEO gloried in a supposed victory already won over Meg Whitman‘s eBay . Ma maintains that Alibaba, via its Internet retail arm taobao.com, is more than 20 times larger than eBay. Agence France-Presse quoted Ma as dismissing the U.S.-based auction site: “The game is almost over, finished. I’m not interested in [eBay's] competition at all.” :)

As reported in Forbes.com, Alibaba ballooned in power in August, after taking over Yahoo! operations in the People’s Republic. The Chinese firm inked a deal with the American Web portal, securing a cool billion in Yankee greenbacks.

But Ma isn’t content to dominate China’s auctions and e-mail. He wants the third point of the Internet triumvirate, too: search. The CEO depicted an almost disarmingly simple strategy: “We win eBay, buy Yahoo! and stop Google. That is for fun. Competition is for fun.”

Geography and/or geopolitics apparently loom large in Ma’s worldview. He told reporters that while Google and Yahoo! dominate Europe and the U.S., neither is in a position to rule Asia.

“I call them sharks in the ocean. We are crocodiles in the Yangtze River. If we fight in the Yangtze River, we have more chances than they have.”

:china:

Back
Top Bottom