What's new

Alibaba: The Giant of e-Commerce

Don't tell me BABA is setting itself a goal for 200 billion yuan worth of sales on the Singles' Day。:D

Ma and his clan need to find a good use for the funds raised from the recently concluded IPO。

I guess opening up an English version is a good step as this will enable Chinese goods to have a chance to be sold at virtually every household with an internet on the globe. Challenging and surpassing Amazon would be sweet :)

I guess opening up an English version is a good step as this will enable Chinese goods to have a chance to be sold at virtually every household with an internet on the globe. Challenging and surpassing Amazon would be sweet :)

Amazon is water under the bridge。

Ditto Ebay。

As a matter of fact,BABA is bigger than the two combined。

Now that an English version of the online marketplace is set to sweep through the international landscape with low-priced quality Chinese articles、goods and products,there will be a correspondingly expanding “Taobao tribe” of all colours and races。:enjoy:

Ebay is like a loan shark charging high fee for every transaction and even just a listing. Time for taobao to correct that.

Good!
Taobao is great!

Alibaba will launch an international version of Taobao

Taobao, China’s smash-hit ecommerce marketplace run by Alibaba, will get an international version in English and other languages, said company founder and chairman Jack Ma today.

Ma’s remarks came during a speech at the World Internet Conference and were reported by Reuters.

Taobao is a little like Ebay in that it involves person-to-person selling, but many of its merchants are small businesses selling new goods, in contrast for the tendency of Ebay to be full of random people selling secondhand stuff.

Alibaba already has a global marketplace called AliExpress, but that’s mostly for Chinese merchants to ship wholesale to overseas buyers.

In September, Taobao launched a regional version for Southeast Asia, with translation available for a few major languages there including English. But the translated version only applies to links and navigational elements, not the actual product listings. Taobao uses the International Parcel Forwarding Service (IPFS) to send goods to overseas buyers. Shortly after launching there, 280,000 customers signed up in Singapore, and another 210,000 in Malaysia.

Ma didn’t give a timeline or any further details about the international marketplace.

The electronic marketplace AliExpress, of China’s Alibaba Group, is the market leader by units sold in Brazil, with 11 million online orders between July and September of this year, according to Ibope E-Commerce, a business unit of the Brazilian Institute of Public Opinion and Statistics that analyses e-commerce.

According to a report cited by daily newspaper Estado de São Paulo, AliExpress was well ahead of second-placed B2W group, which includes the brands Americanas.com and Submarino.com that sold 7.2 million units in the period.

Although AliExpress was ahead by number of units sold, revenue was much lower because the average value of purchases on this site is only US$33, about one tenth of the average amount spent on other e-commerce sites.

Even so, Ibope E-Commerce estimates that AliExpress’s turnover in Brazil reached 330 million reais in the third quarter and if it continues at the same pace in 2015, will reach turnover in excess of US$1 billion.

The president Ibope, Alexandre Crivellaro, said the expansion of Chinese sites in Brazil intensified in 2014, leading AliExpress users to more than double since last January, and Brazilian women account for 60 percent of orders. (macauhub/BR/C

The electronic marketplace AliExpress, of China’s Alibaba Group, is the market leader by units sold in Brazil, with 11 million online orders between July and September of this year, according to Ibope E-Commerce, a business unit of the Brazilian Institute of Public Opinion and Statistics that analyses e-commerce.

According to a report cited by daily newspaper Estado de São Paulo, AliExpress was well ahead of second-placed B2W group, which includes the brands Americanas.com and Submarino.com that sold 7.2 million units in the period.

Although AliExpress was ahead by number of units sold, revenue was much lower because the average value of purchases on this site is only US$33, about one tenth of the average amount spent on other e-commerce sites.

Even so, Ibope E-Commerce estimates that AliExpress’s turnover in Brazil reached 330 million reais in the third quarter and if it continues at the same pace in 2015, will reach turnover in excess of US$1 billion.

The president Ibope, Alexandre Crivellaro, said the expansion of Chinese sites in Brazil intensified in 2014, leading AliExpress users to more than double since last January, and Brazilian women account for 60 percent of orders. (macauhub/BR/C

Congrats to our Chinese friends :china:

Chinese brands going global and replacing Western brands.

Another factor in the decline of the West and the rise of China.

Excellent news.
you say decline of the west buts its more like decline of US, ebay and amazon and other giant E-comerce sites are all american. European dont care, its US who will be butt hurt.

Why has Alibaba not yet entered Indian markets? India is one fastest growing eCommerce markets in the world.

Why has Alibaba not yet entered Indian markets? India is one fastest growing eCommerce markets in the world.

I thought i read somewhere in the financial times that Indian suppliers are the largest on Alibaba?:what: So i think they should must have entered India some way or another.

By the way no e-commerce company can operate in India per se, since your government has barred any foreign investment/company from operating in B2C e-commerce market in India(except in B2B sector). Amazon, Ebay and other foreign eCommerce companies have complained of this bias in vain.:blah: lool Contrary to what many think, India is still a very close/protectionist market compared to many countries in Asia.:enjoy:

I thought i red somewhere in the financial times that Indian suppliers are the largest on Alibaba?:what: So i think they should must have entered India some way or another.

By the way no e-commerce company can operate in India per se, since your government has bared any foreign investment/company from operating in B2C e-commerce market in India(except in B2B sector). Amazon, Ebay and other foreign ecoomerce companies have complained of this bias invane.:blah: lool Contrary to what many think, India is still a veryclose/protectionist market compared to many countries in Asia.:enjoy:

As far as I know, there is no restrictions on any eCommerce company (B2B or B2C) to start their shop in India. Amazon is itself a B2C and is slowly moving towards becoming the market leader in Indian eCommerce market, though India has restriction on brick and mortar retail stores such as on Tesco and Walmart.

I read somewhere that Alibaba wants to enter Indian market desperately but given the discrimination for Chinese companies in India, it is holding its plans, though I also read somewhere that it is planning for a backdoor entry though Softbank, the Japanese investment bank that had invested huge money in Indian and Chinese eCommerce companies including Alibaba..

As far as I know, there is no restrictions on any eCommerce company (B2B or B2C) to start their shop in India. Amazon is itself a B2C and is slowly moving towards becoming the market leader in Indian eCommerce market, though India has restriction on brick and mortar retail stores such as on Tesco and Walmart.

I read somewhere that Alibaba wants to enter Indian market desperately but given the discrimination for Chinese companies in India, it is holding its plans, though I also read somewhere that it is planning for a backdoor entry though Softbank, the Japanese investment bank that had invested huge money in Indian and Chinese eCommerce companies including Alibaba..

Nope there is restrictions for foreign investors in India ecommerce market.:p:

India: government keeps foreign B2C ecommerce investors restricted to protect domestic business | The Paypers

Back
Top Bottom