What's new

ALH Rudra ready to spit fire | Phase-1 IOC likely in May

Shouldn't you also include the Mi-17-Vs into this list, as they are also combat capable, and are going to be inducted in huge numbers? From what I understand, that is like a much bigger Dhruv-WSI in terms of role and utility, isn't it?

The helicopter fleet of 2020 is going to be orders of magnitude more capable than that of today. Even the Dhruvs are a quantum leap from the Cheetah-Chetak combo currently in use.

No quite right, all Mi-17 V5s IAF is inducting will have weapons launch capability. However the ALH WSI weapon's suite is FAR more advanced than the Mil-17s with chin mounted HMDs guided cannon, fire and forget missiles and a2a missiles not to mention a integrated EW suite (Mil-17s EW isn't bad either). But yes the IAF/IN/IA helo fleets are not only expanding in size hugely but also in capability to mammoth levels!

Shouldn't you also include the Mi-17-Vs into this list, as they are also combat capable, and are going to be inducted in huge numbers? From what I understand, that is like a much bigger Dhruv-WSI in terms of role and utility, isn't it?

The Mi 8s and 17s are armed for fire support of ground troops, because IAF currently has only a few real combat helicopters. With the induction of Rudra as well as LCH in high numbers and spread all over the country, they will takeover this role. Since especially LCH will be geared for the combat role, it will be even more effective in CAS than a Mi helicopter with unguided rockets can be.

In addition to these, the 197 utility helicopters we're buying (most likely Eurocopter AS-550),
can also be armed if needed, i guess

here's a pic of an armed AS-550 -

Back
Top Bottom