What's new

Al-Zarrar MBT | News,Updates & Discussions.

G upgrade is offered by China.

AZ upgrade has no Chinese systems..
It uses systems developed for AK.. Like the HIT 125mm,Pak ERA,auto loader,laser designator and warning systems etc..
And Italian FCS...

No autoloader in Al Zarrar, just a ramming system to assist faster manual round loading. It does use some ukrainian tech including engine and transmission.

@Dazzler is the Army opting to gradually upgrade the T-59s or is there a plan to replace them with a new tank platform? The al-Khalid and/or Haider route is going to be too expensive considering how many tanks we're talking about, so unless downsizing the force is on the cards, then a cheap solution is necessary.

But how much cheaper is the al-Zarrar upgrade compared to something such as the NORINCO VT-5 (see here)? Is going for a new platform (e.g. VT-5) to run for 40-50 years a valid idea? Or is the plan to just keep many hundreds of beaters without upgrades or replacements?

@Dazzler is the Army opting to gradually upgrade the T-59s or is there a plan to replace them with a new tank platform? The al-Khalid and/or Haider route is going to be too expensive considering how many tanks we're talking about, so unless downsizing the force is on the cards, then a cheap solution is necessary.

But how much cheaper is the al-Zarrar upgrade compared to something such as the NORINCO VT-5 (see here)? Is going for a new platform (e.g. VT-5) to run for 40-50 years a valid idea? Or is the plan to just keep many hundreds of beaters without upgrades or replacements?

No room for VT-5 for now as per the doctrine that i know off.

The Al zarrar will stay for another 10-15 years. The purpose of this upgrade was to keep the obsolete fleet updated with decent upgrades and firepower for at least 20 years. The AK, AH fleet will become the top tier, followed by upgraded t-80uds and the bottom will be filled by Al zarrars. I dont see the Al zarrars serving in the army beyond 2030.

No room for VT-5 for now as per the doctrine that i know off.

The Al zarrar will stay for another 10-15 years. The purpose of this upgrade was to keep the obsolete fleet updated with decent upgrades and firepower for at least 20 years. The AK, AH fleet will become the top tier, followed by upgraded t-80uds and the bottom will be filled by Al zarrars. I dont see the Al zarrars serving in the army beyond 2030.
What replaces the al-Zarrars?

https://inserbia.info/today/2015/06/serbia-sold-282-modernized-t-55-tanks-to-pakistan-report/

Food for thought we recently bought some 282 tanks from Serbia (which are claim to be upgraded) .So probably upgradation for all T59`s are planned under some secret project to make up number .Just my thought

They will undergo AZ upgrades and most will replace the obsolete ones. The deal offered was dirt cheap so why not.

What replaces the al-Zarrars?

The purpose of AZ was to keep the obsolete ones relatively well equipped and fight worthy. The whole program was envisaged due to big numbers of 59s and 69s in active service.

Al zarrars will not be replaced, rather the army will go a notch above i.e. we may only see third and even fourth gen mbts in PA in 15-20 year's time.

They will undergo AZ upgrades and most will replace the obsolete ones. The deal offered was dirt cheap so why not.
Yes that was my point that we are looking to keep these for some times any information on recent buys what sort of upgradation we will see from Serbs

Screenshot_2017-02-07-00-52-48.png

Bro,
Are their any plans to upgrade older T59/69 to AZ standards?
Ukrainian Tifon2 upgrade with more armor, 840HP engine & Hunter killer capability looks very appealing option if there are really plans for Al Zarrar 3 package .....
T55 series upgradations.png

https://inserbia.info/today/2015/06/serbia-sold-282-modernized-t-55-tanks-to-pakistan-report/

Food for thought we recently bought some 282 tanks from Serbia (which are claim to be upgraded) .So probably upgradation for all T59`s are planned under some secret project to make up number .Just my thought
I believe that deal was canceled.
As there was no point of buying 282 more T55 when 600+ T59/69 are already lurking around.

Are you confirming this news ...??

I was under the impression that it was some sort misreporting

Are you confirming this news ...??

I was under the impression that it was some sort misreporting

Some arrived and were in decent condition, while i dont the fate of remaining tanks. The plan to upgrade them is going nowhere for now as HIT is focused on other projects including putting AK-1 into mass production.

Bro,
Are their any plans to upgrade older T59/69 to AZ standards?
Ukrainian Tifon2 upgrade with more armor, 840HP engine & Hunter killer capability looks very appealing option if there are really plans for Al Zarrar 3 package .....
View attachment 375434

I believe that deal was canceled.
As there was no point of buying 282 more T55 when 600+ T59/69 are already lurking around.

Both type-59 and 69 received Al Zarrar upgrades.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom