What's new

Al-Khalid tank (Type 90-IIM / MBT-2000) Information Pool

Shibli made/ improved FCC, not the entire FCS of AK
Naiza is in service with entire mbt lineup, naiza 2 status is classified

AK has 16bit FCs, AK 1 has multiprocess 32bit
2nd gen TI vs 3rd gen TI
AK production version never used FRENCH FCS. It's European+ indigenous tech.
Datalinks IBMS lws all indigenous.
MRS is outsourced
Aorak2 is not in service
Aorak is improved Fy2 made by NDC.

Shibli made/ improved FCC, not the entire FCS of AK
Naiza is in service with entire mbt lineup, naiza 2 status is classified

AK has 16bit FCs, AK 1 has multiprocess 32bit
2nd gen TI vs 3rd gen TI
AK production version never used FRENCH FCS. It's European+ indigenous tech.
Datalinks IBMS lws all indigenous.
MRS is outsourced
Aorak2 is not in service
Aorak is improved Fy2 made by NDC.
Never said SHIBLI made the entire system, original post specifically said that it was only improved locally. Did not differentiate between FCC and FCS to not confuse people.

Already mentioned Naiza is in service with entire fleet.

Naiza 2 is not classified if it’s BTA4, which there have been several indications of it being in the past. Unless those was just rumors/it’s been redesignated and Pakistan is working on its own new APFSDS. Which I doubt could be better than BTA4 anyways.

Already mentioned AK1 has improved FCS with newer Gen thermals. Never said FCS was French, AK did in fact have French assistance in FCS, the TI itself is French. But I presume you mean they did not help with adding other stuff like auto-tracking, in which case my bad. But you say “European” which can then only mean German or French.

Already mentioned that Data link, IBMS and LWS are indigenous.

Did not know MRS was outsourced, was going off comment made on this thread earlier mentioning it was made at HIT, it looks to be visually similar to the system on VT4. Mistake on my part

You yourself have mentioned multiple times that AORAK MK2 is being used on AK. I’ve seen two separate types of ERA in use on AK. I assumed the newer, sometimes dual stacked ones are MK2, unless they are AORAK and the original one was something else, because I am aware one more company had designed ERA in Pakistan. Most sources still call the new ERA AORAK MK2 but I’m aware most of them just regurgitate a single article. Interestingly no one ever mentions AORAK in any article, only MK2, though I’m certain this is incomplete info.
What company is NDC by the way? Janes claims AORAK was developed by GIDS, I have not heard of NDC.

What I deduce from this is that currently “AORAK” is the only Pakistani origin ERA in service and that it’s an improvement over FY2 (given that it can be stacked, it’s likely quite a bit better)

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Last edited:
For Naiza-1 it’s 220MM/66.5 degrees at 2 KM. For Naiza-2 it’s 220MM/68.5 Degrees at 2KM. Using simple LOS conversions these numbers are around 570-600MM/0 degrees and 630-650+MM/0 degrees at 2KM respectively. Naiza-1 is used on Al-Zarrar and Al-Khalid. Naiza-2 can be used on Type 85UG, T80UD/T84, Al-Khalid-1 and VT-4.

For comparison the standard Indian Ammunition for its T90S tanks, the BM42, has a penetration of around 460MM/0 degrees at 2 KM. The standard ammo for Indian T72, the BM17 has about 300MM/0 Degrees at 2KM.
The standard ammunition in Russian service (excluding the T-14), The Svinets APFSDS, has similar penetration numbers to Naiza-2, while their optional Svinets-1 (and newer designs for T-14) have higher numbers.

Keep in mind all of these numbers at 0 degrees are rough LOS calculations and in real life they are generally lower, these are kinda calculated under ideal standards, in real life there’s so many more factors, but these can give an estimate of performance.
Thanks really useful info, do PA have plan for any advance ammo then naiza 2 in near future
For Naiza-1 it’s 220MM/66.5 degrees at 2 KM. For Naiza-2 it’s 220MM/68.5 Degrees at 2KM. Using simple LOS conversions these numbers are around 570-600MM/0 degrees and 630-650+MM/0 degrees at 2KM respectively. Naiza-1 is used on Al-Zarrar and Al-Khalid. Naiza-2 can be used on Type 85UG, T80UD/T84, Al-Khalid-1 and VT-4.

For comparison the standard Indian Ammunition for its T90S tanks, the BM42, has a penetration of around 460MM/0 degrees at 2 KM. The standard ammo for Indian T72, the BM17 has about 300MM/0 Degrees at 2KM.
The standard ammunition in Russian service (excluding the T-14), The Svinets APFSDS, has similar penetration numbers to Naiza-2, while their optional Svinets-1 (and newer designs for T-14) have higher numbers.

Keep in mind all of these numbers at 0 degrees are rough LOS calculations and in real life they are generally lower, these are kinda calculated under ideal standards, in real life there’s so many more factors, but these can give an estimate of performance.
Thanks really useful info, do PA have plan for any advance ammo then naiza 2 in near future

There is still some confusion as to wether Naiza-2 is a Pakistani version of Chinese BTA-4 used in our VT-4s or if it’s a separate Pakistani APFSDS that’s still under design. In my opinion it’s a locally made BTA-4 that they will unveil sooner or later, maybe with AK-2. Even if we’re not locally making it, we have large numbers of it.

For the time being that is the best projectile in South Asia, and that too by a considerable margin. Even our Naiza-1 is far ahead of what’s in use on the other side of the border, so there’s no need invest in even newer projectiles right now, the money is better used elsewhere.

I’m sure as time goes on and when India considers new ammunition to close this gap, Pakistan will look for an upgrade too, which shouldn’t be an issue, since AK-1 and VT-4 can handle longer and better ammunition easily.

Pt-3 or 90II-3 made an appearance during the famous UD vs Storm3 trials

a8986831gy1gkhdzq6su1j20hs0c0n65.jpg

Al-KHALID Main Battle Tank (MBT)

20th Anniversary July 2001-2021

“20 Years of Excellence“

Al Khalid Main Battle Tank (MBT) completes 20 years of service in the #PakistanArmy

The new improved version Al-Khalid-1 was also rolled out in July 2020

1625141790421.png

Al-KHALID Main Battle Tank (MBT)

20th Anniversary July 2001-2021

“20 Years of Excellence“

Al Khalid Main Battle Tank (MBT) completes 20 years of service in the #PakistanArmy

The new improved version Al-Khalid-1 was also rolled out in July 2020

View attachment 758337
How many produced in 20 years ??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom