What's new

Al-Khalid tank (Type 90-IIM / MBT-2000) Information Pool

Hi,

Where do the current Al-Khalid numbers stand?

Also, we have seen many IR sensors on tanks, and we can see their optics/lenses. How do you protect these? Like if a rocket hit that, it would be blown up? So you will lose your laser system right?

Just like if destroy your antenna, no more communications.

Hi,

Where do the current Al-Khalid numbers stand?

Also, we have seen many IR sensors on tanks, and we can see their optics/lenses. How do you protect these? Like if a rocket hit that, it would be blown up? So you will lose your laser system right?

Just like if destroy your antenna, no more communications.

Current AK/ AK1 number is a closely guarded secret but last i heard, they were more than 400. Modern MBT sensors are protected by laser and infrared threat detectors/ sensors and laser shot counters that tell the mbt crew of where and when the mbt is/ was/ being lased. There are other measures that are a part of incoming threat detection but i cannot comment on them.

Current AK/ AK1 number is a closely guarded secret but last i heard, they were more than 400. Modern MBT sensors are protected by laser and infrared threat detectors/ sensors and laser shot counters that tell the mbt crew of where and when the mbt is/ was/ being lased. There are other measures that are a part of incoming threat detection but i cannot comment on them.

Hi,

No i meant, what protection is offered to these sensors? Like they are exposed on the tank, right? So for example, the laser range finder needs it's laser/lenses pointed somewhere, but how do you protect these sensors themselves? Like is the glass bullet proof???

What if Type-96 can accomadate all new generation equipments with some compromise..? And moreover if check BD's procurement of tanks, they never wanted a heavy tank.

By the way two weeks back Norinco unveiled brand new Type-96, with true 3rd generation capabilities.

The Chinese Defence Company NORINCO unveils new main battle tank VT2 at DSA 2012 1804124*-*Army Recognition

Tanks for integral Infantry Divisions would have to be medium weight tanks because of our terrain. However, MBT-2000s are for cross border offensive ops. The terrain just across our border can take heavy armor.

little offtopic but it is interesting, South Sudanese type 96 destroyed Sudanese t-72s....even the turret is blown up!

1321626342_t-96_south_sudan.jpg

1336294978_t72blown.jpg

1336294982_t72turret.jpg

Hi,

No i meant, what protection is offered to these sensors? Like they are exposed on the tank, right? So for example, the laser range finder needs it's laser/lenses pointed somewhere, but how do you protect these sensors themselves? Like is the glass bullet proof???

Vision blocks are made up of bullet proof glass, and are laser and IR protected, part of the mbt integrated self protection system. (AK series),

Oleh Shevchenko, Chargé d'affaires Embassy of Ukraine has informed the media that Ukrainian companies will takepart in the modernization project of the Al-Khalid main battle tank (MBT) of the Pakistan Army.

Oleh Shevchenko said, "We will continue co-operation in developing technology for manufacturing military hardware, first of all in shape of Al-Khalid Project".

Upgraded Al Khalid MBT with combination of new armor and optional Explosives Reactive Armor (ERA) can withstand all known 120mm and 125mm rounds. Upgrade also includes improved transmission and electronic turret control for the Al Khalid Tanks. Tank also offers improved protection for the NBC (Nuclear, Biological & chemical) warfare.

Pakistani Al Khalid Tanks are equipped with Integrated Battle Management System (IBMS) and new active threat-protection system. Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) has also increased Al Khalid's weapon carrying capability and now it will be able to carry 49 125mm HEAT & APFSDS (Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot) and Naiza 125 mm DU rounds, 1,500 12.7mm and 7,100 7.62mm rounds.

Read more: Modernization of Al-Khalid Main Battle Tank (MBT) ~ Pakistan Military Review

New photo of Al Khalid reveals some new upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom