What's new

Al-Khalid tank (Type 90-IIM / MBT-2000) Information Pool

HIT needs innovation, it doesn’t matter what they create as long as they actually create something new. Pakistani forces needs new IFVs, new APCs, new artillery, new armored vechiles, new Recovery vechiles, MRAPs.
It’s not that there isn’t demand or that HIT doesn’t have the capability, it’s that we’re afraid of taking the baby step and starting R&D. The PA will already have a foreign option in service by the time HIT can develop anything, which discourages them from even trying. The Towed howitzer is a ray of hope in this regard.
Yes what bout the towed gun. Where has its development reached? Any perimeters set ? Any deadlines or timelines?

Yes what bout the towed gun. Where has its development reached? Any perimeters set ? Any deadlines or timelines?
considering the fact that PA hasn’t opened any trials for towed artillery guns yet, I’d say it’s too early to tell. When PA trials the howitzer, it will very likely also trial foreign options with it. They’re probably focusing on the SPs first, that’s what it seems with the SH-15 news going about recently.

Tactical Characteristics of AORAK MK-II

Dimension of kits available : Type A: 12x12 (Inches)
Type B: 9x9 (Inches)
Type C: 6x6 (Inches)

Weight of complete kits : Type A: 20 Kg
Type B: 15 Kg
Type C: 12 Kg

Weight of explosive sheets : Type A: 2.0 Kg
Type B: 1.5 Kg
Type C: 1.0 Kg

Capable to dislodge/shatter : No penetration
jet formation of conventional
shaped-charge heat-round
with no penetration

Deflagration-to-detonation : No detonation

Oxyacetylene flame test : No detonation

Mounting capability : All types of armour vehicles

Sympathetic detonation : Free of sympathetic detonation

Operational temperature Range : -40 °C to +50 °C

Safety : Safe to handle W/O
Any hazard

Shelf life : More than 10 years

Tactical Characteristics of AORAK MK-II

Dimension of kits available : Type A: 12x12 (Inches)
Type B: 9x9 (Inches)
Type C: 6x6 (Inches)

Weight of complete kits : Type A: 20 Kg
Type B: 15 Kg
Type C: 12 Kg

Weight of explosive sheets : Type A: 2.0 Kg
Type B: 1.5 Kg
Type C: 1.0 Kg

Capable to dislodge/shatter : No penetration
jet formation of conventional
shaped-charge heat-round
with no penetration

Deflagration-to-detonation : No detonation

Oxyacetylene flame test : No detonation

Mounting capability : All types of armour vehicles

Sympathetic detonation : Free of sympathetic detonation

Operational temperature Range : -40 °C to +50 °C

Safety : Safe to handle W/O
Any hazard

Shelf life : More than 10 years
Where did you get this from?

Got this from KRLs website the website dosent exist anymore but in the internet archives there is one page saved (2003) with info on both AORAK MK1 and MK2 i think this MK-2 version might be different from the one on AK-1 as that one was recently developed wasnt it?
Yeah there’s no pictures on Pakistani side, I will try on Chinese forums later, this is all I could find:

Specifications:

Type A
Type B
Type C

Size
305 × 305 mm
229 × 229 mm
152 × 152 mm

Weight
16 kg
9 kg
8 kg

Weight of explosive sheet
1.2 kg
0.75 kg
0.35 kg

This is for AORAK 1 off the same website, dimensions are the same. Weights are slightly different, not sure what the difference is. AK-1 hasn’t been seen with ERA much and the few times it has it’s the same as AK. I assume it’s all the Same ERA. Not even sure if AORAK 2 was used. Pakistan hasn’t developed any new ERA after this. AK-2 is probably going to have Chinese ERA.

In light of recent developments.... How much and how long can the Pakistani inventory of 6TD-2 parts last... As far as I know Pakistan imports the motor oil from them as well...
Implications on Al-Khalid 2 and the acquisition of 1400 bhp engine....

What about engines and/or spare parts needed for maintenance/replacement?

BTW any chance ukraine defence industry continues to function after a pause under 'new management' or is it totally history?

In light of recent developments.... How much and how long can the Pakistani inventory of 6TD-2 parts last... As far as I know Pakistan imports the motor oil from them as well...
Implications on Al-Khalid 2 and the acquisition of 1400 bhp engine....
surely there's other sources for motor oil?

Last edited:

BTW any chance ukraine defence industry continues to function after a pause under 'new management' or is it totally history?
Will run under new management as they used to provide spares for a lot of Russian Allies

K

surely there's other sources for motor oil?
It seems that these oils were engine specific thus Pakistan kept buying from them...

Will run under new management as they used to provide spares for a lot of Russian Allies

K
Doesn't seem that simple... Especially if Russia wants de militarization of Ukraine... So they would leave the factories intact ?

HIT Should already have enough engines to finish AK-1 orders for the PA. HIT is Already in the process of switching to new Chinese engines for further models of AK.

A few weeks back, we were discussing the possibility of a Chinese engine replacement for AK.

I suppose Ukraine war will force PA's hand.

Speculation is all you will get because no one knows how long this war will continue.

Safe to say, the turmoil in Ukraine will continue for some time.

HIT has made tanks,IFVs ,APCs, 155mm towed Howitzer etc.They will definitely continue to improve their products.
Now what reasonable next step you think HIT should take to help ground forces of Pakistan along with improving their current products?

Simply putting,what should be the next achievable weapon HIT should work on?
Its not about "next" weapon. It is about increasing Pakistan's share of total ownership in whatever we already have in the works. The greater the % of ownership and self-sufficiency achieved, the more confidence to innovate.

Secondly, POF needs a serious boost of funding infusion/investment to enhance its infrastructure and assemblies. We need capital going into these ventures otherwise we will keep on spinning minor upgrades to systems being assembled/manufactured for the past 20 years. In this we have to take a lesson from the US defense industry. Nothing is government run. It is government funded but gives the various companies in the eco-system opportunity to get seeded and to pitch their proposals and then the government picks what is the best of the batch, at least in their own eyes.

In Pakistan, while we cannot replicate the above immediately, we need to seed private ventures and companies to do the same. It will take time but innovation will come from outside-in and not inside-out. Inside out is just managing. If we want to be competitive, then we have to open up ideation and seed ventures on defense projects.

Turks started doing this, our neighbor is trying to do the same. We need to broaden out beyond PoF but as always our government is cash strapped. Perhaps proper taxation and/or diversification of exports (E.g: IK: SW exports to reach $50B) will open up more fiscal space to take on such things.

I still credit the POF for doing what it can with thread-bare budget. To me it seems they sweat their assets quite a lot but overall Pakistan needs to allocate more funding for these ventures (including a serious increase in the defense budget).

Back
Top Bottom