What's new

Akbar

Islam was, is , and will always good for mankind.

That is what it should be.

But ask those who claim to be the defender of Islam in the NWFP who are wreaking havoc on Islamic adherent in the name of Islam.

So, religion is pure, but not the actions of the adherents!

Therefore, these terrorists, who claim they are the sole defenders of Islam are not really doing much for mankind, or are they?

And the best part is that they have no qualm about slaughtering co religionists in the name of Islam!

Is that good for mankind?

Please understand reality, instead of giving glib comments.

It unnecessarily leads others to say things that they otherwise would not have said!

And please understand we are not total idiots that you take us to be!

We understand that this is a Pakistani forum and it would not appreciate things that are not pleasant to Pakistan or Islam, but then I am sure, in the context of credibility, they would also not subscribe to issue that are dodgy at best!

I have regards for Pakistan as also for all religions, even though I do not believe in any, but more than everything else, I have the greatest regards for LOGIC and REALITY!

I am not being obtuse. All I am asking is that lets not have any "superior than thou" attitude!

We are all sinners!

Opinion is yours not mine. And u should carefully read out the statement that I have made. I pointed out that "with respect to other religions". I dont need to study with other religions but I do respect them. Thats I'm trying to state. Religion make important role in human beings life. Another thing is that u should not mix up with terrorism with Islam. In my point of view Islam means peace. Did u get the point dear now?

Opinion is yours not mine. And u should carefully read out the statement that I have made. I pointed out that "with respect to other religions". I dont need to study with other religions but I do respect them. Thats I'm trying to state. Religion make important role in human beings life. Another thing is that u should not mix up with terrorism with Islam. In my point of view Islam means peace. Did u get the point dear now?

Hardly mine.

I am aware that your type would not read any other religion and instead propagate his own as the only one!

Understand human psychology.

I was not mixing Islam with terrorism.

I was only indicating that people who breastbeat about the purity and infallibility of religion are the ones who are surprised by what is perpetuated in the name of religion.

And it requires intellect and education to understand that.

Indeed he is.

That is why the Empire faded!

That is interesting actually.

Aurangzeb did overextend his empire by his religious zeal to conquer as much as possible. As a result, his empire began to shrink and he lost territory to the Marathas and Sikhs, Pashtoons.

Its really sad that while Europe was in a brilliant new Renaissance age, India had to suffer at the hands of religious zealots.

I can't say what type of islam was practiced by the majority.

But what I can definitely say, is that the Islamic raiders did take a lot of pride in narrating their exploits in the land of the infidels.

I'll try and get some quotes written by the Islamic raiders to justify my statements.

But this is the same argument you made several posts ago - narrating an emperors description of his exploits is no different from narrating those of a terrorist say - in either case it would be incorrect to then suggest that just because they say so, Islam is now representative of those beliefs.

Therein lies the power of perception.

The moderate muslims rarely get their voices heard.

Whereas the radical ones obviously get the most press!!

I think its upto the muslims themselves to speak up and say "this is islam", rather than expect the layperson to spend his time trying to decide which version of islam is right!

However, I think in the absence of a better term, we are left with "Islamic Terrorism". Can you suggest a more appropriate one?

Well, as I said, for a layperson, who doesn't know much about Islam. He decides what Islam is from its most visible aspects.

Now, there have always been "death cults" in history.

If you read the history of India, you will find several tribes who worshipped certain gods and violence was part of their religion.

But the sheer variety of Hindu beliefs tends to dilute the effect, and prevent all of Hinduism being labeled as a death cult.

I think this debate can go on forever, depending on what your perception of Islam is.

But we are not arguing over perceptions are we? Because then I have as much patience for this discussion that I would for some kid who comes in and starts ranting about a "busharraf, RAW, CIA and Mossad attempts to destroy Pakistan". The issue of perceptions has to be handled by the Muslim world, no doubt about that, but from a historians perspective, trying to make the argument that so and so happened simply because the "common perception" indicated so, is being dishonest and misleading.

Your argument is that because these Warrior Kings claimed to be acting in the name of Islam, it justifies the argument that Islam sanctioned it. But you have given no argument or evidence that proves that the popular Islam of the time condoned the barbarities allegedly committed by these Kings - and therefore regardless of what the perception is, barring some factual basis in favor of your argument, you have to conclude that there is no way to claim that Islam, versus the personal beliefs of the Kings, was to blame for the mayhem.

Once again - Perceptions are not facts, and do not make for an argument that can stand up to scrutiny.

For me, actions speak louder than words, and the very fact that suicide bombing is sanctioned by certain clerics, means that it is possible to interpret the islamic scriptures in that fashion.

I really do not see how you arrive at that conclusion. If a bunch of raving lunatics get together and decree that their interpretation of Islam commands so and so, completely devoid of any basis in the Quran, would you simply agree and decide that is representative of Islam? Why are you so willing to believe those clerics, and not the countless more who interpret the opposite? Why can those clerics not simply be misinterpreting the religion, but advocating something completely antithetical to what the Quran commands?

Obviously, this couldn't have been a recent development. I"m sure such interpretations of Islam have existed in the past as well, going by the records of Islamic conquerers.

Once again the distinction between what a warrior King (already in disobedience of Islamic teachings by virtue of his title) believes, and what the scholastic interpretation of the time was.

The caste system is quite fascinating actually.

It alllowed foreigners to assimilate easily into Hindu society by immediately assigning them a caste and therefore a place in society.
On the other hand, it kept society relatively divided by drawing rigid barriers between castes.

One can say, that it was an inevitable thing for a sedentary society which was always being attacked from outside.

It does indeed seem fascinating, and perhaps in its consummate form it was a concept that may have worked were Humans not blessed with free will and a capacity for evil.

Perhaps the Arabic culture has a lot to do with it. Not to mention the culture of Central asians, who were also nomads.

But I think the rapidity with which Islam spread across Asia, points to something more than just survivalist tendencies.

Or it was simply a result of Islam coming into the hands of Nomadic warriors, and therefore culture (and the thinking of the time - conquest, expanding empires, the lust for power) is what you should blame for the atrocities, not the religion.

Well, the moment a religion says that their god is the true god, and all other gods are false gods, you are entering a very dangerous territory.

Because, the monotheist will invariably meet people who worship "false" gods.

So what will be his reaction to it?

His reaction should be what his religion commands I imagine, if the individual is a devout follower, as with any faith, monotheistic or polytheistic.

But this is the same argument you made several posts ago - narrating an emperors description of his exploits is no different from narrating those of a terrorist say - in either case it would be incorrect to then suggest that just because they say so, Islam is now representative of those beliefs.

Emperors were definitely representative of Islamic beliefs. Because it is they who cause the maximum effect either way.

If the emperor is a zealot, it augers very badly for the population.

Obviously, other muslims would take inspiration from the emperor and emulate him.

A terrorist on the other hand, is an outcast, and provided mainstream muslims reject him, he can't be said to represent islam.

But we are not arguing over perceptions are we? Because then I have as much patience for this discussion that I would for some kid who comes in and starts ranting about a "busharraf, RAW, CIA and Mossad attempts to destroy Pakistan". The issue of perceptions has to be handled by the Muslim world, no doubt about that, but from a historians perspective, trying to make the argument that so and so happened simply because the "common perception" indicated so, is being dishonest and misleading.

I'm not talking about conspiracy theories like Mossad etc.

I'm talking about a very real effect that the muslim extremists are having on the world.

I think we are mixing up the topics here.

I am talking about the common perception among the modern world, today, not from a historical standpoint.

Your argument is that because these Warrior Kings claimed to be acting in the name of Islam, it justifies the argument that Islam sanctioned it. But you have given no argument or evidence that proves that the popular Islam of the time condoned the barbarities allegedly committed by these Kings - and therefore regardless of what the perception is, barring some factual basis in favor of your argument, you have to conclude that there is no way to claim that Islam, versus the personal beliefs of the Kings, was to blame for the mayhem.

The Islamic aristocracy and elite, always had a high regard towards "idol breakers" and "defenders of the faith".

Obviously, the mullahs would have been condoning it....I don't see how it could have worked otherwise.

If a raider justifies his raids as "defending the faith", and if his people and army, as well as peers respect him for that, then its quite fair to assume that Islam did sanction religious violence.

I'll provide the evidence obviously, just give me some time to dig up the material.

I really do not see how you arrive at that conclusion. If a bunch of raving lunatics get together and decree that their interpretation of Islam commands so and so, completely devoid of any basis in the Quran, would you simply agree and decide that is representative of Islam? Why are you so willing to believe those clerics, and not the countless more who interpret the opposite? Why can those clerics not simply be misinterpreting the religion, but advocating something completely antithetical to what the Quran commands?

Because those who are sanctioning this interpretation aren't "raving lunatics".

They are muslims from Saudi Arabia, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan. Saudi textbooks teach students to persecute people of other faiths.

If countless more are interpreting the Quran otherwise, why isn't there any strong anti-extremist movement within Islam?

I repeat, that if clerics can successfully argue a case for radical islam, then there is probably some substance behind it.

Once again the distinction between what a warrior King (already in disobedience of Islamic teachings by virtue of his title) believes, and what the scholastic interpretation of the time was.

Oh comeon. All muslim heroes are "warrior kings".

Are we to brand them un-islamic now?

I'm assuming that these kings didn't lead their people without a significant amount of clout and fan following.

It doesn't matter if the scholastic interpretation of the quran preaches universal brotherhood, if the people who implement islam are fanatics.

It does indeed seem fascinating, and perhaps in its consummate form it was a concept that may have worked were Humans not blessed with free will and a capacity for evil.

It was a way of accomodating the thousands of different tribes peacefully, without causing perpetual war.

However, with the advent of modern concepts like "universal brotherhood" and "humanity", it has outlived its usefullness.

Or it was simply a result of Islam coming into the hands of Nomadic warriors, and therefore culture (and the thinking of the time - conquest, expanding empires, the lust for power) is what you should blame for the atrocities, not the religion.

Well, sorry to say, but Islam in the hands of Nomadic warriors was the Islam that India got to deal with.

for Indians, that is the real islam, irrespective of what some distant cleric preaches.

I don't see why you are in denial about it. Most history textbooks credit the rise of Arabia as a military force, to the coming of Islam. Islam had always been a military ideology.

Pakistanis are proud of the conquests of the Islamic rulers. Isn't that what they have been teaching in Pakistani schools till now?
Would you call the writers of those books fanatics? No. They are mainstream muslims. So there you go.

His reaction should be what his religion commands I imagine, if the individual is a devout follower, as with any faith, monotheistic or polytheistic.
[/QUOTE]

Well, considering the idol-breaking record of Islam, one can judge what the reaction would be.

Please, please look at the history of Islamic expansion in Asia. It won't take convincing that the Islam practiced by the invaders was a fanatic interpretation.

Emperors were definitely representative of Islamic beliefs. Because it is they who cause the maximum effect either way.

If the emperor is a zealot, it augers very badly for the population.

Obviously, other muslims would take inspiration from the emperor and emulate him.

A terrorist on the other hand, is an outcast, and provided mainstream muslims reject him, he can't be said to represent islam.

Just wanted to address this first. The most glaring example that counters this is the setup in Saudi Arabia, where the rulers live lavishly and completely contrary to what the teachings of their own scholars suggest. In this particular case it could be said that the rulers are benevolent and open minded, and some would argue that even the populace is, but the clergy in charge of interpreting Islam is not. And even here a qualifier of referring to it as "wahabi islam" is used to distinguish between the interpretation of the clerics of Wahabism and other sects.

With respect to the "other Muslims emulating the emperor", you present no evidence of this, and if the ruler were tyrannical, would it be willing emulation or emulation from fear?

The counter to this in modern society exists both in Turkey and Iran - in Turkey, despite the presence of Secular Government and leadership for decades, there remains a significant section of the population that is not so (Shown by the voting in of a "religious party").

In Iran, despite the presence of a conservative religious government, the population is widely considered to be moderate.

I'm not talking about conspiracy theories like Mossad etc.

I'm talking about a very real effect that the muslim extremists are having on the world.

I think we are mixing up the topics here.

I am talking about the common perception among the modern world, today, not from a historical standpoint.

When you talk about perceptions you move away from the facts - and that is what should be the basis of any argument purporting to show that "Islam is responsible". Islam is only responsible if Islam explicitly condones the acts in question, and that can only e determined by looking at the opinions of a majority of Muslim scholars, or even better, analyzing the relevant texts to determine for oneself what the Quran says on the matter.

So "perceptions" do not support your argument that "Islam was responsible for the "devastation". Only evidence that the interpretation of Islam at the time condoned, not just conquest, but brutal conquest and atrocities.

The Islamic aristocracy and elite, always had a high regard towards "idol breakers" and "defenders of the faith".

Obviously, the mullahs would have been condoning it....I don't see how it could have worked otherwise.

If a raider justifies his raids as "defending the faith", and if his people and army, as well as peers respect him for that, then its quite fair to assume that Islam did sanction religious violence.

This is getting back to the argument we had in the Secularism thread - Is it Islam or an interpretation of Islam? And I am not arguing against Invasions, only against the "atrocities" committed while invading. While it is probable that the Mullah;s condoned invasions, how do you prove that the Mullahs advocated those atrocities? Was it out of fear, since the man capable of committing such atrocities may have been similarly inclined to commit them on his own population?

There are far too many variables in this equation to simply categorize as "Islam" sanctioned it. The only thing you can say for sure is that so and so ruler/King invaded and did so and so. You cannot claim with certainty what his beliefs were, were they sanctioned by the clerics, were they sanctioned under coercion, were they sanctioned by a minority etc. etc.

This is getting back to the argument we had in the Secularism thread - Is it Islam or an interpretation of Islam? And I am not arguing against Invasions, only against the "atrocities" committed while invading. While it is probable that the Mullah;s condoned invasions, how do you prove that the Mullahs advocated those atrocities? Was it out of fear, since the man capable of committing such atrocities may have been similarly inclined to commit them on his own population?

There are far too many variables in this equation to simply categorize as "Islam" sanctioned it. The only thing you can say for sure is that so and so ruler/King invaded and did so and so. You cannot claim with certainty what his beliefs were, were they sanctioned by the clerics, were they sanctioned under coercion, were they sanctioned by a minority etc. etc.

Dear Agnostic , your point that their action was based on thier twisted perception of Islam and that the religion of islam is peaceful .
I disagree with that .. According to Bill Warner
Non-political Islam is religious Islam. Religious Islam is what a Muslim does to avoid Hell and go to Paradise. These are the Five Pillars—prayer, charity to Muslims, pilgrimage to Mecca, fasting and declaring Mohammed to be the final prophet.

But the Trilogy is clear about the doctrine. At least 75% of the Sira (life of Mohammed) is about jihad. About 67% of the Koran written in Mecca is about the unbelievers, or politics. Of the Koran of Medina, 51% is devoted to the unbelievers. About 20% of Bukhari’s Hadith is about jihad and politics. Religion is the smallest part of Islamic foundational texts.

how long can you transfer the balme on individuals and try to save ideology . this is high time that some islamic Martin Luthar has to arrive .

Islam Watch - "The Root of Terrorism ala Islamic Style (Koran-Quran-Islam and terrorism prophet Muhammad and terrorism Islam's influence of terrorism suicide attack-bombing inspiration for terrorism in Islam-Quran Kafirs-infidels in Islam " by Ab

Logic:

I am not going to read every 20 series Islam bashing article you put up. Paraphrase your argument (or whosoever's argument you are linking to) and present the salient points supporting it. Quoting percentages does not cut it. If you want to argue that the Quran supports the looting and razing that was done by invaders in South Asia, then present that evidence. (lets try and somewhat stick to the thread)

how long can you transfer the balme on individuals and try to save ideology . this is high time that some islamic Martin Luthar has to arrive .

The question is how long will you seek to malign an ideology because of your own biases, instead of focusing on how ideology is perverted by individuals to serve their own hunger for power.

I am not going to read every 20 series Islam bashing article you put up. Paraphrase your argument (or whosoever's argument you are linking to) and present the salient points supporting it. Quoting percentages does not cut it. If you want to argue that the (lets try and somewhat stick to the thread)

I have Put the Link for you to read it . but if you refuse to read it with the excuse that it is too long then sorry Good things doesnt come in Short Form .
That article talks about how that ideology not only promotes Violence but glorifies it too.
And that is very important aspect of this discussion because it talks about the root cause of violence .

Quran supports the looting and razing that was done by invaders in South Asia, then present that evidence.

I gave you the link but you refuse to read it . it is very long to Post it here .

The question is how long will you seek to malign an ideology because of your own biases, instead of focusing on how ideology is perverted by individuals to serve their own hunger for power.

No Agno , Believe me I have no Prejudice or biases against anyone .
One or two individuals can be perverted , but not so many .
from The medivieal time to This day . Look around and if still you cant see then no one can help you

Logic:

If the evidence in that article is so cut and dry, you should have no problem pasting the relevant section here.

Back
Top Bottom