What's new

Akbar and other Mughals

i said HINDUS love AKBAR because he distorted islam!!! if we speak in strictly religious terms!!! and not only islamic but christianity 7 judism or even hinduism AKBAR was a damned soul because he left HIS religion...

This is what 'HINDUS' think about Akbar!

Akbar is considered as the great Mughal emperor who put the Mughal empire on a firm and stable footing, with a reliable revenue system and with expansion of its borders deeper into Indian heartland. There is a belief prevalent in the present day India that Akbar's rule was secular and tolerant of the native Hindu faith. This belief is fostered by the Indian history texts, Hindi movies like Mughal-e-Azam, a TV serial on Doordarshan and the fictional tales of Akbar and his Hindu court jester Birbal. Although Akbar did abolish two obnoxious taxes on Hindus namely the pilgrimage tax in 1563 CE and Jizya (A tax stipulated in the Koran to be paid by Zimmis or unbelievers) in 1564 CE, his rule was better compared ONLY to the other Mughal and Turko-Afgani rules. This article illustrates this with two specific historical events. First, Akbar like all Mughal rulers had the holy Muslim title of GHAZI (SLAYER OF KAFFIR - infidel). Like Timur Lane and Nader Shah, AKBAR HAD A VICTORY TOWER ERECTED WITH THE HEADS OF THE CAPTURED/ SURRENDERED ARMY OF HEMU after the second battle of Panipat. Later, AKBAR AGAIN SLAUGHTERED MORE THAN 30,000 UNARMED CAPTIVE HINDU PEASANTS AFTER THE FALL OF CHITOD ON FEBRUARY 24, 1568.

Akbar killed an unconscious Hemu (a Hindu) to become a 'Ghazi' at the second battle of Panipat, he later ordered slaughter of all the captives from Hemu's army and had a victory tower built with their heads. Similarly, Akbar later on ordered a massacre of 30,000 plus unarmed captive Hindu peasants after the fall of Chitod on February 24, 1568. Are these the characteristics of a truly 'secular' and 'tolerant' emperor ? These events reveal Akbar's true nature during early part of his reign. Should Akbar be called 'Great' and 'Secular' only because he was a lesser despot than the rest of the Mughal emperors ?

Source: hindunet.org

But GENERALLY Indians love Akbar, the Great!:smitten:

Last edited:
Aurangzeb is disliked by the Hindus for no reason at all. As far as I know, Ranjit Singh was not disliked by even his Punjabi Muslim subjects, because he was an honest king and was fair to all of his subjects. Usually, people do not divide their opinion on him.

But, in case of Aurangzeb, he has been made villain by the Hindu historians only because he had to fight the rebellion by the Marathas led by a then unknown Shibaji. What the central govt of today's India would do in a similar situation? Will a rebellion be tolerated by the central govt?

It was same with Aurangzeb, he was fighting a rebel force bent on destroying the central govt in Delhi. The Historians afterwards added their personal emotion and portrayed Aurangzeb as a Hindu-hater against a Hindu patriot called Shibaji. This is certainly not the truth.

In his personal life, Badshah Aurangzeb was very honest. His examples should be followed by Pakistan's Zardari and India's FM Krishna. He lived in the palace given by the State, but he had no personal servants and his wife the Badshah-Begum had to cook her family's own food with her own hands.

She was the only wife this honest Badshah ever had, he had no concubines. This Badshah used to repair (as we say RIPU) his own torn clothes. For his family's own livelihood, he used to copy Qu'ran and sew topi (Muslim caps). He would sell these products to a special merchant at wholesale price and with this proceed he would maintain his own family's livelihood. Badshah Alamgir was a FAQIR in his heart.

About warfare against his own brothers, I would say it was all politics of the middle age. Either you rule or you get killed. This same politics are still there in many of the Muslim countries even today. Think of the history of Bangladesh and Pakistan, the present neighbours of India. Muslims are blood-thirsty by nature, but I just do not know why it is so.

You have very little knowledge about the history. Sivaji was not a rebellion . He was a king who fought against Mughals to protect his kingdom.

What u are telling about Aurangzeb is totally wrong.
If your words are right then Aurangzeb must not be a Badshah

You have very little knowledge about the history. Sivaji was not a rebellion . He was a king who fought against Mughals to protect his kingdom.

What u are telling about Aurangzeb is totally wrong.
If your words are right then Aurangzeb must not be a Badshah

Mister, you better read the history first to lecture on others. Sivaji was not a Prince, his father worked in the court of Bijapur. He rebelled against the central govt of India and finally established his own kingdom.

Haha...central government. More like a bunch of decadent morons living lavishly off the hard work of Indians.

The mughals were the most useless bunch ever. They did not build a single institution that would help to modernize India.

Only the Rajas of the South did something to advance their people.

if you dont like him because he left islam i can understand ur feelings

but if u dont like him because he gave hindus some extra rights i am sorry i disagree with you

see just like i said the HINDUS feel that he was great because he gave them rights....WRONG!! he was equally bad he prosecuted the HINDUS equally

It is recorded by Bayazid Biyat, personal attendant of Humayun, that Akbar gave two villages for the upkeep of a mosque and a Madrasa which was setup by destroying a Hindu temple, this was done under the supervision of 'Todar Mal' who was highly regarded Hindu minister (vizir) of Akbar.[34] In Akbar's time Todar Mal was called a simple one (sada-lauh) because he mourned the loss of the idols he used to worship and he was also called "a blind follower of custom and narrow mindedness" for being a Hindu.[36]

The Britannica again mentions that Mughal emperor Akbar ordered the massacre of about 30,000 captured Rajput Hindus on February 24,? 1568 AD, after the battle for Chitod, a number confirmed by Abul Fazl, Akbar's court historian. Afghan historian Khondamir notes that during one of the many repeated invasions on the city of Herat in western Afghanistan, which used to be part of the Hindu Shahiya kingdoms '1,500,000 residents perished.

so....the HINDU LOVING akbar was actually not so loving.....now i wonder what makes him so great from the HINDU POINT OF VIEW!!

let me tell you what made him great in my eyes his love for arts,culture,cusine,music & so on.....in terms of religion he was a damned soul!!!!

.....now i wonder what makes him so great from the HINDU POINT OF VIEW!!

There is no HINDU point of view or MUSLIM point of view.. it's only INDIAN point of view. He's the most secular Mughal emperor when compared to others, period.

PS: Secularism is the backbone of India.

The mughals were the most useless bunch ever. They did not build a single institution that would help to modernize India.

Only the Rajas of the South did something to advance their people.

Suggest you re visit your views.

The our land records & revenue systems as they exist today are very close to what was initiated by Raja Todar Mal under the ageis of Akbar , also taxation based on the fertility of land was introduced in an organised manner then. The brits went on to improve them by initiating the system of combining the judiciary & administration under one head i.e. Collector.

Not everything that happened then was wrong. Among any bunch of idiots you do come across some worthwhile persons too.

Wow....land revenue system... really! What a brilliant achievement while Europe was going through the Renaissance.

We Indians really are a pathetic bunch.

Wow....land revenue system... really! What a brilliant achievement while Europe was going through the Renaissance.

You have to be close to land and be a farmer to know what this implies.By the by, even today the bane in Pk ( no offence meant to anyone) is that land reforms have not been put in place as a result of which land holdings are haphazard due to which a feudal system still persists.

We are very sensitive on how the Govt taxes us today aren't we ? So is a farmer now as he was then.

...and if there is no cause to compare Europe with India. There is no comparison now in the 21st Century, what can you expect back then ?

In any case, .. to each his own.On the highlighted part, suggest you speak for yourself & do not generalise as " Indians" back then encompasses all of us in the sub continent.

Do not forget all the renaissances and revolutions came from the the people living at the bottom when they go hungry. In those days people of Hindustan were leading a much richer life than the europeans. How do you expect a revolution from such a people?

In europe, the population pressure was so much and poverty was so deep that they made voyages to the Americas just to feed themselves. Indian green revolution came in the 50s, when science and technology were widely available to enhance the production of food. So, again there was no renaissance in India. Note that China had a revolution because of widespread poverty there in the '40s.

see just like i said the HINDUS feel that he was great because he gave them rights....WRONG!! he was equally bad he prosecuted the HINDUS equally

It is recorded by Bayazid Biyat, personal attendant of Humayun, that Akbar gave two villages for the upkeep of a mosque and a Madrasa which was setup by destroying a Hindu temple, this was done under the supervision of 'Todar Mal' who was highly regarded Hindu minister (vizir) of Akbar.[34] In Akbar's time Todar Mal was called a simple one (sada-lauh) because he mourned the loss of the idols he used to worship and he was also called "a blind follower of custom and narrow mindedness" for being a Hindu.[36]

well it seems i was in the wrong impression. but this information has made me neutral toward akbar. i dont hate him but do not favour him either

The Britannica again mentions that Mughal emperor Akbar ordered the massacre of about 30,000 captured Rajput Hindus on February 24,? 1568 AD, after the battle for Chitod, a number confirmed by Abul Fazl, Akbar's court historian. Afghan historian Khondamir notes that during one of the many repeated invasions on the city of Herat in western Afghanistan, which used to be part of the Hindu Shahiya kingdoms '1,500,000 residents perished.

so....the HINDU LOVING akbar was actually not so loving.....now i wonder what makes him so great from the HINDU POINT OF VIEW!!

let me tell you what made him great in my eyes his love for arts,culture,cusine,music & so on.....in terms of religion he was a damned soul!!!!

well i suppose i was in the wrong impression afterall. but still i dont hate him i am neutral.

I agree with most of the points you have noted in your post. But, Aurangzeb's deeds were not responsible for the rise of english in Hindustan. Instead, it was Nawab Alivardy Khan of Bengal whose actions were directly responsible for weakening the political fabrics of Bengal. He was the Foujdar of Bihar appointed by Malik Suja-ud-Din Khan, the Subedar of Bengal. But, upon the death of his master and mentor, he conspired with Delhi Mughal PM to appoint and recognize him as the legal Subedar of Bengal instead of Malik Sarfaraz Khan, son of the deceased.

Subsequently, Malik Sarfaraz was kiilled in a battle. This event made Mir Habib, the Foujdar of Orissa to conspire with the Marathas and call them to regain Orissa for him. War between Bengal and Maratha continued for long ten years before a compromise was reached.

During wartime, a ruler becomes very weak and starts to appease his generals and the feudal Lords. This is how the political fabrics of Bengal were destroyed and the Bengal govt became weak. Alivardy had all the qualities of a great ruler and a great general, but he should not have usurped the throne of Bengal. He was never defeated in any battle against the Marathas. The problem was that the Marathas never gave him a frontal battle, but were always skirmishing from behind. Well, it was typical of Maratha heroes all the time.

If Alivardy had supported Malik Sarfaraz, the subsequent history would have been quite different. When Alivardy died, the throne went to his eldest but ignorant grandson Siraj-ud-Dowlah. I checked many history books to know why the throne did not go to the father of Siraj.

Nawab Alivardy had no sons, but had three daughters named Ghoseti Begun, Amina Begum and ****** Begum. These three sisters were married to the three sons of Haji Ahmed, the elder brother of Alivardy. They were Nawazish Muhammad, Haji Jainuddin and *****.

All these three died before Alivardy himself died. The second son-in-law Jainuddin, who was the Foujdar of Bihar, and father of Siraj was killed by a group of Pathans of Bengal in his own palace when the Foujdar invited them there for a Party. In reality, Jainuddin was trying to woo this group led by Mustafa Khan to work for him. This group was previously expelled from the army of Nawab.

If Jainuddin was alive when Alivardy died, naturally the throne would have gone to him. Siraj was only 22 yrs old, but his father was probably 45 yrs old. Even if other things remain same, the seniority makes a real difference.

The generals who had betrayed Siraj would not have dared to do so with his father. He, a middle aged man, certainly knew more about politics and he had many acquintances and well wishers. He certainly also had his spy networks. Simply speaking, the history would have been different in such a case, because a Plassey conspiracy was not possible in such a situation.

So, it was not Aurangzeb's deeds in the 17th Century, but the deeds of Alivardy Khan in the mid 18th century that acted as a catalyst to bring the bloody British to rule over Hindustan. It was our bad luck, but we cannot change all those events now. However, we should see the historical events in their proper perspectives.

Historically, for Bengal you are correct. Why I blame Aurangzeb for making it easy for East India Company is conclusion drawn from the following.

Shivaji had managed to create a small kingdom of Marathi speaking clans by liberating some territory from Bijapore in 1674. Aurangzeb invaded Deccan (South India) with the entire Moghal army in 1982 and by 1989 captured nearly all of south India including the Maratha lands. His control was however never complete and under queen Tarabai Maratha army managed to recapture their land including the capture of Malwa in 1705.

Within a few years of Aurangzeb’s death in 1707, the state’s writ shrank to Delhi and its environs. Mughal State was reduced to an empire in all but name. Nearly all subdedars and governors became independent. This was mainly because 18 years of war in the South had bankrupted the Moghal State of the wealth as well as military power and State had no stomach for waging war to enforce her authority.

Maratha exploited this weakness to the full. By 1713; only 6 years after death of Aurangzeb; Shahu’s (grandson of Shivaji) army reached Delhi and his commander managed to negotiate a very favorable treaty with the Moghal Emperor Farukhsiyar. Under the Peshwas (initially wazirs of the Maratha kings) Maratha power reached its zenith, by 1760 they controlled 1-milion square kilometers of the central and southern Indian territory including Punjab and Orissa. Despite their defeat at Panipat by Ahmad Shah Abdali in 1761; Marathas remained the foremost power in India until third Anglo Maratha war of 1818.

Nawab Murshid Quli Jaffar Khan became virtually independent Nawab of Bengal very soon after Aurangzeb's death because Moghal state had no will left to fight and recover lost territory. This resulted eventually East India Company taking over Bengal in 1757 after victory at Plassey.

In the battle of Buxor in 1762, combined armies of Nawab of Bengal, Nawab of Awadh and the Muhgal Emperor Shah Alam II, totaling 40,000 infantry and 18,000 cavalry fought East India company troops which numbered about 8,000 Europeans and Sepoys and lost.
This time no large scale desertions (such as by Mir Jaffar in Plassey) took place. This established East India Company as dominant power of India.

Considering that Moghal army up to Aurangzeb numbered in hundreds of thousands, it is logical to conclude that had Aurangzeb not exhausted the Moghal empire by wasting nearly 20 years in fighting South Indian states; result at Buxor would have been different.

Being a good Muslim makes you a good human being and you would probably go to heaven; but it would not necessarily make you an effective and powerful king. Akbar may have been a bad Muslim; but his army would have ruthlessly crushed any challenge to his authority.

However, in this forum our judgement gets clouded by religion. Hindus love Akbar because he was secular and many naïve Muslims love Aurangzeb because he was a good Muslim.

Regret to say that both the groups are guilty of judgmental error. Akbar was a good and powerful king because he gathered around himself men based on Merit regardless of religion. All of his nine jewels (Nav rattan) i.e. Abul Fazl, Faizi, Tansen, Birbal, Raja Todar Mal, Raja Man Singh, Abur Rahim Khan –e-Khanan, Fakir Aziuudin and Mulla Dopiaza were very competent and able men in their field. Akbar exploited their expertize to the full. Aurangzeb was not blessed with any of his great ancestor’s wisdom. That is why Akbar left a stable and rich empire for his progeny whereas Aurangzeb was the principal cause the down fall of the Muslim rule in India.

Last edited:
great so you are neutral and when it comes to other muslim MOGHULS don't you think you should be neutral about them as well

and no matter what you say about moghuls today the whole "CONCEPT" of INDIA is defined by the moghuls....as in culture cuisine music hell even your biggest monument the TAJ MAHAL so overall the moghuls left a legacy that as a sub continent man you should be proud off!!!

Asoka or none of the rajputs left INDIA with a very fond memory or a just rule did they??? they all killed and plundered equally bad....atleast under the MUSLIM MOGHULS something good came out of their rule....the CULTURE!! moghuls were lesser of all the evils.....

Historically, for Bengal you are correct. Why I blame Aurangzeb for making it easy for East India Company is conclusion drawn from the following.

Shivaji had managed to create a small kingdom of Marathi speaking clans by liberating some territory from Bijapore in 1674. Aurangzeb invaded Deccan (South India) with the entire Moghal army in 1982 and by 1989 captured nearly all of south India including the Maratha lands. His control was however never complete and under queen Tarabai Maratha army managed to recapture their land including the capture of Malwa in 1705.

Within a few years of Aurangzeb’s death in 1707, the state’s writ shrank to Delhi and its environs. Mughal State was reduced to an empire in all but name. Nearly all subdedars and governors became independent. This was mainly because 18 years of war in the South had bankrupted the Moghal State of the wealth as well as military power and State had no stomach for waging war to enforce her authority.

Maratha exploited this weakness to the full. By 1713; only 6 years after death of Aurangzeb; Shahu’s (grandson of Shivaji) army reached Delhi and his commander managed to negotiate a very favorable treaty with the Moghal Emperor Farukhsiyar. Under the Peshwas (initially wazirs of the Maratha kings) Maratha power reached its zenith, by 1760 they controlled 1-milion square kilometers of the central and southern Indian territory including Punjab and Orissa. Despite their defeat at Panipat by Ahmad Shah Abdali in 1761; Marathas remained the foremost power in India until third Anglo Maratha war of 1818.

Nawab Murshid Quli Jaffar Khan became virtually independent Nawab of Bengal very soon after Aurangzeb's death because Moghal state had no will left to fight and recover lost territory. This resulted eventually East India Company taking over Bengal in 1757 after victory at Plassey.

In the battle of Buxor in 1762, combined armies of Nawab of Bengal, Nawab of Awadh and the Muhgal Emperor Shah Alam II, totaling 40,000 infantry and 18,000 cavalry fought East India company troops which numbered about 8,000 Europeans and Sepoys and lost.
This time no large scale desertions (such as by Mir Jaffar in Plassey) took place. This established East India Company as dominant power of India.

Considering that Moghal army up to Aurangzeb numbered in hundreds of thousands, it is logical to conclude that had Aurangzeb not exhausted the Moghal empire by wasting nearly 20 years in fighting South Indian states; result at Buxor would have been different.

Being a good Muslim makes you a good human being and you would probably go to heaven; but it would not necessarily make you an effective and powerful king. Akbar may have been a bad Muslim; but his army would have ruthlessly crushed any challenge to his authority.

However, in this forum our judgement gets clouded by religion. Hindus love Akbar because he was secular and many naïve Muslims love Aurangzeb because he was a good Muslim.

Regret to say that both the groups are guilty of judgmental error. Akbar was a good and powerful king because he gathered around himself men based on Merit regardless of religion. All of his nine jewels (Nav rattan) i.e. Abul Fazl, Faizi, Tansen, Birbal, Raja Todar Mal, Raja Man Singh, Abur Rahim Khan –e-Khanan, Fakir Aziuudin and Mulla Dopiaza were very competent and able men in their field. Akbar exploited their expertize to the full. Aurangzeb was not blessed with any of his great ancestor’s wisdom. That is why Akbar left a stable and rich empire for his progeny whereas Aurangzeb was the principal cause the down fall of the Muslim rule in India.

I have not yet completely read your post, but I think, your assessment is correct about the independence of Subedars because of weakness of Mughal Delhi. In my free time I will read the full text, many things are there to learn.

Back
Top Bottom