What's new

Akbar and other Mughals

And my basic argument is I want to know more about Akbar as mentioned in history books of Pakistan? leave out the Aurangzeb part it will take the question off topic.

Well there is nothing different in histroy books about him like other mughal rulers.

i think you want to force the idea that because Akbar had created a false faith, which was in favour of Hindus so Pakistanis dislike him.

Well come on you have many other things to start a flam war.

anyway this is very much known that Indians like him for him for his favouritism towards Hindus.

Well in CBSE textbooks Aurangzaeb isn't treated "badly" either. Its only by some state boards and the right wingers who go overboard to denounce him.
Under Aurangzeb there were maximum number of Hindu governors, even more than under Akbar. There was a cow slaughter ban in public in keeping with Hindu sentiments and so on. Ofcourse as a King he also indulged in wars, although his wars were political in nature. The Rajputs and Brahmins of present day UP and Rajasthan were his allies. While the natives of Punjab and Maharashtra grew frustrated.

I think Pakistanis as a whole don't think that Akbar was "bad" and neither do Indians as whole think Aurangzeb was "bad". However, there are right wingers/ extremists on both sides who think wrongly think the same.
Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb: Bad Ruler or Bad History?

^ strange I thought having Hindus in higher adminstration were meant to divide the populations and society against each other knowing fully well that Indians Ideals require some exertion of mind body and spirit while most people easily crack under pressure.

About Rajputs that were allied to Mughals pls do clarify if you are talking about Mewar which took care of itself and of its tribals or of the Rajputs whose main purpose in life was to suck up to the people in power.

About right wingers hope you realise that most people desire making their living in an honest manner without getting f_ _ _ _ _ up which implicitly makes them right wingers unless of course you want to pit stupidity of Commies against the 10000+ years of minding ones own business.

^ strange I thought having Hindus in higher adminstration were meant to divide the populations and society against each other knowing fully well that Indians Ideals require some exertion of mind body and spirit while most people easily crack under pressure.

About Rajputs that were allied to Mughals pls do clarify if you are talking about Mewar which took care of itself and of its tribals or of the Rajputs whose main purpose in life was to suck up to the people in power.

About right wingers hope you realise that most people desire making their living in an honest manner without getting f_ _ _ _ _ up which implicitly makes them right wingers unless of course you want to pit stupidity of Commies against the 10000+ years of minding ones own business.

Didn't quite get what you were saying. The MEwar tribe was the only Rajput tribe not allied with the Mughals until Rana Pratap. After his death they were loyal to the Mughals for another two centuries until their power waned. They even fought the Marathas alongside Mughals.

The last part went completely over my head. What I mean was right wingers on BOTH side try to make the history out as Hindu vs Muslim when this was hardly the case. When even under Aurangzeb there were Hindus in administration, and cow slaugter was banned in public and when under Shivaji muslim generals and soldiers (some of whom were pathans) were fighting against Aurangzeb.

Commies.......where did that come from? Although I don't like Communists much either.

We Pakistani do not think anything about Mughals except Shalimar Bagh, Lahore Fort etc. History is not much taught in Pakistan. I know the brain washed people across the border wanted to know that how much we are brain washed in favour of Aurgenzeb and hate Akbar. Sorry mate, we do not give a crap !!!! except they left us good cusine:) :) :)

In islam there is no Monarchy or Kingship so those rules do not apply! Even if you read old testament you will see that when the people demanded a king to rule over them form Allah, they were forewarned but were given a King when , as usual, they kept insisting.
Even otherwise, it was not for AZ to take it upon himself to decide to become the emperor. The mere was in which he took over is such a sin!
Would all his prayer, fasting & charity be accepted when he put his father in jail & murdered his brother who was 100% harmless? I let you decide!

have you ever heard of Tauba?

I personally don't like any of the Mughals..... They spent a lot on entertainment stuff and didn't actually did good for the people.

Also due of the reason what Humayun did with our family.

I like Sher Shah Suri... His achievements GT Road and measurement of Land.

Well there is nothing different in histroy books about him like other mughal rulers.

i think you want to force the idea that because Akbar had created a false faith, which was in favour of Hindus so Pakistanis dislike him.

Well come on you have many other things to start a flam war.

anyway this is very much known that Indians like him for him for his favouritism towards Hindus.

well who cares about his faith it was niether muslim nor hindu.

well if you want to know what i think then i will say he was a perfect politician. he knew how to rule by winning wars, if that was not working then diplomacy and also by winning the ppl by doing some populist measures to please the masses.

well who cares about his faith it was niether muslim nor hindu.

well if you want to know what i think then i will say he was a perfect politician. he knew how to rule by winning wars, if that was not working then diplomacy and also by winning the ppl by doing some populist measures to please the masses.

:) yes what he created was for prolonging and strengthening his rule.

Didn't quite get what you were saying. The MEwar tribe was the only Rajput tribe not allied with the Mughals until Rana Pratap. After his death they were loyal to the Mughals for another two centuries until their power waned. They even fought the Marathas alongside Mughals.

The last part went completely over my head. What I mean was right wingers on BOTH side try to make the history out as Hindu vs Muslim when this was hardly the case. When even under Aurangzeb there were Hindus in administration, and cow slaugter was banned in public and when under Shivaji muslim generals and soldiers (some of whom were pathans) were fighting against Aurangzeb.

Commies.......where did that come from? Although I don't like Communists much either.

My Critique of your postion:

Rana Pratap is something everybody knows. What few people know is that even Bhil tribals sided with him and against Mughals. It is said that even to this day there royal coat of arms bears the image of a Bhil tribal. At times Rana would have been wiped clean had Bhils not saved him. Now, urbanised Hindus of the time had a tiff with Mughals, but why the hell did Bhils fealt threatened.

Bro I am an Uttrakhandi, and we have a dialect (Garhwali) but no script, most of the people over there were illiterate for most of history (we even needed to be bailed out by other Shankara Mutts, for the simple reason that there was nobody to take care of Badri Vishal). Bearing this in mind, now hear this out. The worst Garhwali swear word is Ghoeri (for spitefulness) and the highest ideal that I have been reminded about and told to uphold by my mother (a marginally literate lady) is Saka/Saika (both version being used). What is the significance of these words in shruti traditional language and in the organised state of Mewar, can be guessed by anyone.

Most Rajputs just could not take on the mughals (explains the fact of rajputs being there in Pakistan) with the exception of Rana. Even the successors of Rana could do little.....

See, even if we take the idea of AZ being Raja Ram. How do the following get explained:
  1. The presence huge forts / castles / crimanlly extravagant monuments like Taj Mahal being there only from the Muslim rule period.
  2. The presence of such distrust that brought about the partition of India.
  3. The general arms length that both Hindus and Muslims maintain to this day in India (Both just tolerate each other but almost never share business risk / community development / community service)

See, The negation of history is not going to work in India. It is a stupidly commie idea of denial of natural history/natural order.

Further going by your argument of presence of Hindus in the Mughal administration somehow signifying amicable relations holds no water. Going by your logic GB was also the best rule that Indians could have got since they had an even larger numbers of Indians in there administration.
About cow slaugter being banned “in public” (sic) under AZ. Hope you can see the catch in your own words.

My Stand:
See :
  1. The undeniable fact that 130 million plus Muslims have risked it to live in India inspite of 47.
  2. The fact that even the so called right wingers of India have never put forth the argument that, lay muslims were out to grab the dignity of lay non-muslims, in historical terms.
  3. The fact that non-violence in Indian history (both as propounded by Gautama and MKG and the extraordinary popularity both of them enjoyed) were in the nature of affirmative action and not a poverty of options.
  4. The fact that Indians went into erstwhile East Pakistan not just because of hindu populations but because of general Bengla populations.

All these only go to show that the basis for the Indian society can be easily provided by the traditional Indian belief systems which obviously form a part of the historical heritage of Muslims of India too. In fact my opinion is that because of the survival of such ideals even to this day, these ideals have already proved their strength quite convincingly and so these ideals should be used to provide the foundation for greater cooperative action in the Indian State not the denial of history.

See uptill 47 all of Indian history (muslim or otherwise) excluded the Shudras (agriculturists, labourers, surgeons, basically skilled workforce) from the decision making process and still the lay muslims and lay hindus almost never fought amongst themselves till 47. Now after the coming of democracy, this very illiterate, downtrodden, excluded population kicks out commies/lalu/mulayam types. The collective conscience is something you are underestimating. If allowed to work this soul of a civilization can work wonders and if denied its due will result in something that you are afraid of and don’t know how to handle.

BASICALLY INDIANS SHOULD BEAT ITS ENEMIES WITH THE BASIC MULEHEADED STUBORNESS TOWARDS OUR CONSTRUCTIVE HISTORY THAT INDIANS DISPLAY IN EVERY OTHER WALK OF LIFE.:victory::yahoo::cheers::sniper:

EVEN IF WE HAVE TO DENY SOMETHING WE SHOULD BE DENYING THE COMPETENCE OF SUNDRY EMPERORS ON THE FUTURE AND FATE OF INDIA.

@advaita

I still don't understand what the main disagreement is..

Instead of seeing everything in terms of religion, I have said that it was more to do with political alliances. I think its an insult to Rajputs tribes to say that just because they couldn't fight the Mughals they meekly joined them. Similarly, there is no reason to assume that because native muslims and pathan migrants in present-day Maharashtra joined Shivaji's army just because they were afraid of him. They were political alliances and both alliances had respect for each others religion. (shivaji). Then ofcourse there were the Sufi and bhakti movements that characterized the spread of Islam and peaceful co-existence. I agree that that must people might have lived in their own community, but this is a feature of Indian society where each caste would mingle with their co-caste people. That didn't mean that just because they didn't inter-marry or inter-dine that they were hostile to each other.

Besides, Mughals were just one dynasty. There were hundreds of other kings. Tipu Sultan was another brave son of Mysore who single handedly defeated the British multiple times. He even wanted to ally with other local kings, the marathas and Nizams to oust the British but failed to do so.

As other posters have mentioned Sher Shah Suri was probably one of the best kings in recent times for his administrative and monetary policies. Infact, he names the currency rupiyah which is now used in India Pakistan, Indonesia and many other countries even today. It was later the founders of Mughals Babar e.t.c that invaded Sher Shah's kingdom to establish their rule. So Babar invaded India by fighting Muslim king. Can you see how far fetched it would to call his invasion as a Hindu-Muslim conflict? It might be interesting to check out Babar's will to his son which is preserved in a museum in Bhopal. Babar's will. Infact there are only three instaces of a muslim king invading India and fighting a Hindu king. Other than that these were either non-muslims on both sides or muslims on both sides.

Of course, there were invaders like Mahmud Ghouri that committed large scale looting and plundering, no one can be proud of that. Even Al-Buruni was critical of him in his writings calling him a barbarian. So you can't look at all muslim kings as one monolith. Just as you can not say that just because Ashoka killed hundreds of thousands of people (including women and children) in his early expansion, all Hindu kings were bad. Ghouri doesn't represent the entire period of muslim kings in India when infact he never planned to stay here. His actions were similar to the British where the main plan was to take wealth from India back to his country of origin unlike the local Muslim kings.

And most people don't know this but the first muslim king of India was actually a native of India from present day Kerela. Islam came to India from the south first right at the time of the Prophet (SAW).
Interview with a descendant of King Cheraman Perumal

No one is calling AZ raja ram or saint but he was not a demon incarnate either. There are positive and negative aspects to everyone, that is necessary to give a holistic picture. Otherwise you can fall prey to simplistic assumption. That differentiates a person who can lead to a person who can (sometimes wrongly) be led.

(1) There are huge temples and palaces of Hindu kings in the north and south as well. Taj Mahal just happens to be the most famous one. It was a symbol of Hindustan contributing almost 25% of world GDP and being one of the richest nations. Travelouges from French, Arab and Turkish travelers talk about this.
(2) I also suggest you understand that the partition was mainly to serve British strategic interests in Middle East and as a bulwark against the Soviets. Secondly it was a political settlement not a religious one. The vast majority of common Indians didn't have a say in it. I have more than explained these reasons on various partition related threads. You can search for them if you are interested. Alternatively, you can read the book "The Shadow of the Great Game: The Untold Story of India's Partition"
(3)It has only happened now because of the use of religion in politics. Also the partition affected the NW part of India the most so that is understandable but not excusable. I have not been to uttharkhand but in the South and East of India you will not find these problems. In J&K also its not like that.
The problem is for some people communal harmony is not in their political interests. They benefit in polarizing society after riots or agitations. But the average Indian is getting wiser and kicking out those who use communal politics. Even religious Hindus have realized this.

I had an interesting conversation with a devout Hindu friend of mine who is Lingayat from Karnataka. He told me that the mixing of politics with Islam is one of the main causes of extremism, something that only started in the 50s and 60s. This was supported by the western regimes as a bulwark against Communism. In any Muslim country in the ME and Asia where there was rise in Communism, these religious fundamentalists were covertly supported. Sometimes overtly in case of Afghanistan. Now these extremists even got bomb making and weapons training as well but were later left free to do what they please after the Soviets left. These very same people now use these techniques to wreck havoc in the name of "protecting" Islam.
Similarly, mixing of any religion including Hinduism with politics will have the same blowback and radicalising affect on disillusioned youth. You can already see that with groups like Ram sene e.t.c. becoming moral police. More recently was the banning and arrest of the group Abhinav Bharat and other organisations in Nepal who were involved in terrorists activities. These groups main aim was to "protect" Hindus. And he said that just as the muslims have had to take responsibility and moved ahead to condemn and stop the use of Islam in terrorism and politics. So too will Hindus rise to stop use of their religion sooner or later. Terrorism has no religion whether it be done by Muslims or Hindus. I guess he is right seeing the situation in Ayodhya nowadays (=What Ayodhya Hindus think?)

To say that the "traditional belief systems" are the basis of Indian society is again preposterous. Both Maulana Azad (as well as the members of pro-India Jamiat-ulema-e-hind) and Mahatma Ghandhi were devout muslims and hindu but they represented Indian society. Similarly Ashfaqulla Khan and Ram Prasad Bismil but they represented the Indian society. Nehru and Subhash Chandra Bose were more atheists but they were proud Indians. What about the contribution of parsis and jews to India? I hope you understand the fallacy. All Indians have the right to follow any religion or no religion if they choose to do so. They can also be as devout and religious as they want provided they don't mix religion with politics.

Take example of America, the reason for its success are many but one primary reason is that it has not defined itself solely around a religion or ethnicity. It welcomed people from around the world the brightest minds from different religions and ethnic backgrounds. And in 200 years became one of the most powerful nation in history.

If you have already made up your mind that some "commies" have reconstructed history and that should be changed, I can't change your opinion. I also fail to understand how illiterates like Mualayam and Lalu could have influenced history research in India. I personally feel that the people at NCERT are well versed with history and have done a good job in the recent history textbooks for CBSE schools. I suggest you read some good history books that will give the correct picture. Posing history as a Hindu-Muslim conflict is only used to further political agendas and that is understood by many just like it was used by the Colonial British. It is only a matter of time till the truth comes out.

Overall I personally think it is useless to idolise or demonise any ruler. They should be looked at objectively to learn from their rule and appreciate the good things they did and understand any bad actions they had committed. These are all in the past and should be left as such.

What is probably needed is people should be taught what happened as political and cultural developments rather than just religious. So both Hindus and Muslims can be equally proud of say Ajanta caves as well as the Taj Mahal because it belongs to all Indians. This is what is being done and is providing a solid basis for Indian society. This is what will define the future and fate of India. As it is said Satya meva Jayate (truth alone triumphs)

Last edited:

The information given there seems to be inaccurate. Aurangazeb's destruction of Krishna Janmabhoomi temple in Mathura and the Kashi Vishwanath temple is well documented.

Also, the assertion that Muslims were taxed at higher rates does not seem to be credible. In fact, Aurangazeb had people protesting against Jizya trampled by elephants.

But yes, its true Hindus did hold high positions in the Mughal empire. The most powerful general was Mirza Raje Jai Singh, and Aurangazeb did not dare to openly antagonize him.

In fact, Aurangazeb wanted to kill Shivaji at Agra, but was prevented from doing so openly only because he had to respect Jai Singh's promise to Shivaji. He then made plans to have Shivaji murdered surreptitiously, but Shivaji escaped before he could carry it out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom