What's new

Airbus Military delivered first A400M to Turkey

Neptune

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
teslima4001-300x200.jpg

Airbus Defence and Space has today handed over the first of ten A400M new generation airlifters ordered by the Turkish Air Force.

The Turkish Air Force formally accepted the aircraft from Airbus Defence and Space at the A400M Final Assembly Line in Seville, Spain. A further ceremony will take place in Turkey at a later date.

Following today’s contractual transfer of title, the aircraft, which is the third production A400M, will be flown to Kayseri air base in central Turkey where it will initially be used for training. In Turkish Air Force service the A400M will replace the C-160 Transall offering a dramatic increase in air transport capability to the armed forces.

The photograph attached shows first A400M for Turkey during its maiden flight in August 2013.

Airbus Military delivered first A400M to Turkey

Turkey has at last accepted its first A400M tactical transport from Airbus Defence & Space, making it the second operator to receive the type after a delay of several months.

First flown in August 2013 and then due to have been delivered from around late September, aircraft MSN9 had remained at the A400M final assembly site nearSeville, Spain to support crew training activities for the Turkish air force.

“Following today’s contractual transfer of title, the aircraft will be flown to Kayseri air base in central Turkey, where it will initially be used for training,” Airbus says in a 4 April announcement. “A further ceremony will take place in Turkey at a later date,” it adds.

Turkey’s air force will eventually operate 10 A400Ms, with these to replace its C160D Transall transports. Sixteen of these remain in use, says Flightglobal’s MiliCAS database, which records them as having been built between 1968 and 1969.

The Turkish air force follows its French counterpart in introducing the Airbus transport, with Paris having taken delivery of an initial two examples last year. Germany and the UK are also due to receive their first of the type during 2014.

Turkey ends delay by accepting first A400M - 4/4/2014 - Flight Global

Well, Turkey can afford it. If I were asked if it's ok for Pakistan? I'd say no.

All systems are very advanced from cockpit to landing gears. They thought everything I believe . Do you think it's expensive. I mean 10 aircraft for $1,700,000,000?

What a beautiful machine. But 3 times the price for Hercules? BIG money!

A outstanding flying machine I must say , congrats to Turkey yes the price is very expensive but again yes Turkey can afford it for sure .

Beautiful bird. It has a capacity of IL-76M but much more economical, due to lighter construction and turboprop engines

IL-76M has the capacity of 50,000 kg.

A-400M has the capacity of 37,000 kg only.

Anyways, good for Turkey. They must keep modernizing their military machine.

$_35.JPG

+first+production+Airbus+Military+A400M+new+generation+airlifter+for+the+Turkish+Air+Force+(TURAF)+has+been+painted+and+flown+for+the+first+time+in+its+new+markings+(1).jpg

asdf_3113.jpg

s0bqd.jpg

A400payload-600-x-303.jpg

MK-BZ580A_AIRLI_G_20121218183906.jpg

@500 @TOPGUN @Armstrong @Hyperion @Aeronaut want to hear your opinions.
For only $42 million a unit more could've got the C-17, so for around 25% more you could have got a bird with more than 100% more payload and around 30% more range...

Or conversely you can get 3 C-130Js for the price of 1 A400. 3*C-130J= about 50% more payload than 1*A400.

Yes the A400 is a nice fit in between the C-130J and C-17 if you already operate the C-130J and C-17 but honestly I'd find it hard to justify the A400 as a sole heavy transport in my AF.

The only way I can see this being worthwhile is if Turkey is getting serious industrial benefits from this deal and, AFAIK, they are.

Hey, is this aircraft coming with ToT or something? What "industrial benefits" Turkey is getting?

Please tell

Back
Top Bottom